PDA

View Full Version : Cool finds

Brantlyj
03-09-2020, 07:38 PM
Ever find anything cool while camping?

Several years ago I found what I suspected to be a sharks tooth. Which would be odd for Iowa. Although I’ve learned that sharks teeth are not unheard of. They most likely pushed down when glaciers covered the state.
Was at the swimming beach of my favorite campground playing with my girls, we were tossing mud at each other. Grabbed a handful and for some reason looked at it before I threw it and there it was.
I finally have confirmation from two independent sources that it is indeed a sharks tooth. Most likely a sand shark and is 300-400 million years old! As you can see from the graphic the roots have either broken off or worn away over the years.

DocP
03-10-2020, 02:30 AM
Ever find anything cool while camping?

Several years ago I found what I suspected to be a sharks tooth. Which would be odd for Iowa. Although I’ve learned that sharks teeth are not unheard of. They most likely pushed down when glaciers covered the state.
Was at the swimming beach of my favorite campground playing with my girls, we were tossing mud at each other. Grabbed a handful and for some reason looked at it before I threw it and there it was.
I finally have confirmation from two independent sources that it is indeed a sharks tooth. Most likely a sand shark and is 300-400 million years old! As you can see from the graphic the roots have either broken off or worn away over the years.

That's pretty cool! For no particular reason, this reminded me of the old (really old) Saturday Night Live bit with Gilda Radner and the "Land Shark":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_NS2H55dxI