PDA

View Full Version : Black water hose drips

stogies4life
03-09-2020, 07:10 AM
Wife and I just got back from a shakedown trip with our new rv and I was reminded of something of a issue that I need to know what to do.

When I am done emptying both tank, I take the hose loose and I invariably get a few drops of the waste water come out. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? How can I "clean" this, bleach? I rinsed the area with water.

tia,

s4l

flybouy
03-09-2020, 07:23 AM
Where are the "few Drips" coming from? The pipe or the hose? I wouldn't be donning a hazmat suite for a few drops.

Pull Toy
03-09-2020, 07:23 AM
Welcome to the forum from Connecticut.

If you dump your Black tank first, and then your Grey, you will accomplish two things. First you will have rinsed your sewer hoses with relatively harmless sink / shower water. Secondly your coupler will also have been flushed with Grey water.

We always keep both valves closed until ready to dump. That way you avoid the dreaded POO PILE in your black tank, and have more water to force out the solids. Then your Grey tank also has enough water to push out any crud that found its way into your sink drain.

Good Luck,

Logan X
03-09-2020, 07:41 AM
I think a few drops would be considered normal. As Steve mentioned above, dump black first and then grey. The grey water cleans everything out. I don’t do any additional cleaning to my sewer hose.

If you want to stop the drips, you can add another gate valve on the end of the sewer outlet. Here is a link

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-Twist-On-Waste-Valve/dp/B000BGHYJS

ctbruce
03-09-2020, 07:51 AM
When you say drips, do you mean drips (normal) or a trickle (not normal) when the gate valve is closed.

JRTJH
03-09-2020, 08:23 AM
Pick up a wet dish, a toothbrush, a wet hand and it "drips a few drops"...

Anything that's wet will "drip". The bigger the object, the more "drips"...

In an RV tank system, there's usually at least a foot of waste pipe through which the tank contents empty. In some trailers, that might be as long as 8 or 10 feet of pipe. Longer pipes "drip more" than short pipes....

I installed a "terminal valve" on the end of my sewer system. That valve, provides for only 1" of "drip producing pipe" on the outside of the valve, when it's closed, not only eliminates almost "all the drips" it also serves as a "second salvation" in the event one of the "at the tank valves" might happen to leak, vibrate open or fail to close from a malfunction"... Once you've removed one sewer cap and received a shower of poo, you'll understand why that terminal valve is not a gimmick, but a necessary addition to any RV sewer system.....

The same goes for a sewer cap with a 3/4" hose fitting. You'll never "need it" until you "need it and don't have it".....

stogies4life
03-09-2020, 08:27 AM
Where are the "few Drips" coming from? The pipe or the hose? I wouldn't be donning a hazmat suite for a few drops.

When you say drips, do you mean drips (normal) or a trickle (not normal) when the gate valve is closed.

Sorry I didn't give a better description but this is what I was concerned with, drips from the hose after disconnecting from the tank outlet. I figured I can use a small spray bottle of bleach water.

This is our 2nd TT in 6 months, first was nice but a little small in a cpl of areas. Went to the RV show here (StL) few weeks ago and saw one and knew it was the one for us. We had a Bullet Colt and now we have a Crossfire.

Thanks again, I just wasn't sure if it was normal.

flybouy
03-09-2020, 08:41 AM
From you're description totally normal. If you drain the black, then the gray then those few drops are going to be dishwater or shower water most likely. That's not a biohazard.

I use disposable gloves when I empty the tanks. Place soap dispenser at the water spigot. Have a dedicated non drinking water hose to use for the black tank rinser. After dumping, I rinse out the dump hose with that water hose. Put the hoses away, throw away the gloves by turning them inside out while peeling them off into a plastic bag. Wash hands with soap and water and put the soap away. I feel all hoses/fittings for waste OUTSIDE the camper in hose carrier. The gloves hand soap, and hand sanitizer (for dump stations) I keep together in a plastic container.