PDA

View Full Version : Advertising

Cougar Jim
03-08-2020, 08:09 AM
Is there a premium version of the forum that eliminates all the ads?

ctbruce
03-08-2020, 08:34 AM
Not that I am aware of. Having ads is how the forum owners fund the forum costs and keep it free for all who want to join. That was a decision that they made a long time ago.

notanlines
03-08-2020, 10:52 AM
Jim, might we ask what kind of ads are you getting that might be irritating? On all three setups here we only see ads at the bottom/side that appear and are not video, only photo ads They are not annoying in the least. Yahoo home page is annoying, ESPN home page is annoying, Bears fans are annoying...:hide::D

Cougar Jim
03-08-2020, 11:15 AM
Jim, might we ask what kind of ads are you getting that might be irritating? On all three setups here we only see ads at the bottom/side that appear and are not video, only photo ads They are not annoying in the least. Yahoo home page is annoying, ESPN home page is annoying, Bears fans are annoying...:hide::D

While replying to you Im seeing an ad between the black bars at the top and three in the right column.

JRTJH
03-08-2020, 11:41 AM
As Chip said, "There is no ad free forum version" Everyone gets the same "Premium info/minimal intrusive advertising format"... For the cost, it's one of the best buys on the internet. Yup, I'm probably a tad bit biased in my opinion... Anyway, WISIWYG is the "forum mantra".....

Cougar Jim
03-08-2020, 11:56 AM
As Chip said, "There is no ad free forum version" Everyone gets the same "Premium info/minimal intrusive advertising format"... For the cost, it's one of the best buys on the internet. Yup, I'm probably a tad bit biased in my opinion... Anyway, WISIWYG is the "forum mantra".....

Okay guys I'll just live with it !.....GO BEARS !!!

Northofu1
03-08-2020, 01:19 PM
I run adblock and have no adverts other than RV life stuff. Coincidence?

LHaven
03-08-2020, 01:57 PM
While replying to you Im seeing an ad between the black bars at the top and three in the right column.

On a computer, I see ads on the right hand side, which isn't particularly annoying. On a smartphone, I see a big ad where the first post ought to be, and more full-screen ads interspersed between posts, which is much more intrusive, but it isn't as if there's room for a separate column, so I understand it.

If you use Tapatalk on a phone instead of a browser, and have the (paid) ad-free version of Tapatalk, that might remove all the ads, but it also removes all the smilies.

ctbruce
03-09-2020, 04:32 AM
If you use Tapatalk on a phone instead of a browser, and have the (paid) ad-free version of Tapatalk, that might remove all the ads, but it also removes all the smilies.

I had been looking at changing to the pro version of Tapatalk but no smilies would be a deal breaker. Does anything else change from the free version? And you get none of these: [emoji41][emoji24][emoji16][emoji13] ???

GMH
05-12-2021, 12:41 PM
:mad:I find it very extremely annoying to see ads inside someone’s post! On the right is fine. Between posts is annoying, but likely unavoidable.

notanlines
05-12-2021, 02:44 PM
Greg, I hope you haven't seen any inside posters here....we can blackball them in a flash! Or make them drive a Honda Ridgeline-electric!

JRTJH
05-12-2021, 03:48 PM
We try to keep the forum "SPAM free"... That means, we try to keep members and SPAMMERS from joining with the intent to advertise products in the discussion posts in EVERY thread... If you find an advertisement, posted by a member, report the thread and the site team will take a look at it. We take a "dim view" on SPAMMING and on SPAMMERS....

That said, supporting this forum is not free. Buying (or leasing) the software, buying space on servers to "house the forum so when you click "enter" something happens is also not free. Maintaining the administrative functions, the licensing, the compliance requirements, the tech support (not the volunteer site team, but the professional team that keeps the leases up to date, pays Google for server space and buys the software from V-Bulletin don't do it "from their own pocket to give to people who join for free"...

All that costs money and since the forum is always provided to members at no cost, the advertising (as annoying as it might be) is the essential part of the complex attempts to keep this forum available to the membership. So, the "1 ad within the thread (between posts) per page and the multiple ads along the right border are what keep this forum available for members to share information and help each other with problems they face....

The ads might "seem annoying" but not having the forum online would, IMHO, diminish the help we try to provide much more than the ads interfere with its usefulness....

GMH
05-12-2021, 03:58 PM
I understand nothing is truly “free”, and if these ads are the way the board is set up then we live with it. I have just never seen ads stuck in between the user’s post and his sig? at the bottom. Usually they are between posts, not part of them.

GMH
05-12-2021, 04:00 PM
Both of those ads have already disappeared??

jasin1
05-12-2021, 04:12 PM
Both of those ads have already disappeared??

That’s likely something on your own computer. I don’t think anyone (especially who you used as examples) are trying to make a few bucks on the side lol, but seriously
Try running a malware program on your computer or if you have antivirus software maybe that would help
Someone that is better with computers will probably respond. But since the area where we post is a “text field” I imagine a malware program can attach itself to that space to generate spam advertising

sourdough
05-12-2021, 04:13 PM
I've never seen anything like those ads on any page in the thousands of posts I read IIRC. Maybe a browser/software thing?

Sarge2
05-12-2021, 04:42 PM
If seen those type of ads when you don't sign in... pop up everywhere... but when you sign in you just get the right side and one between posts ...

GMH
05-12-2021, 04:44 PM
Ok, I think they may only be there when I am not logged in. I am not too computer savvy so...?

jasin1
05-12-2021, 04:49 PM
If seen those type of ads when you don't sign in... pop up everywhere... but when you sign in you just get the right side and one between posts ...

Ok, I think they may only be there when I am not logged in. I am not too computer savvy so...?

I stand corrected... I think sarge may be on to something... I just checked and I get advertising on the text fields when not logged in but i never really noticed it before . I’m gonna clear my safari history but it doesn’t really bother me

JRTJH
05-12-2021, 04:52 PM
I can assure you that ads "within a post" are not a part of this forum's policy. I've never seen that type of ad (inside a post). And for you to have posted two, from the same thread, on consecutive posts, indicate that there is something "outside the forum software" that is affecting your screen view. As said, try logging into the forum and see what you find on the pages... If you continue to see "ads inside posts" run a "malware scan using your computer virus software". If it continues, please report the problem to the forum tech support with those photos. You can contact tech support by clicking on the "CONTACT US" button on the very bottom links on every forum webpage.

Sarge2
05-12-2021, 04:52 PM

Nothing to be concerned with... not everyone, (including me) are computer experts... I just noticed because I didn't sign in and got all sorts of ads.. so it was sort of by accident... :facepalm:

JRTJH
05-12-2021, 05:20 PM
I just logged out of the forum and opened 10 threads. Each of those thread pages (all different) had between 6 and 8 advertisements INSIDE posts. I logged into the forum, reloaded each of those pages and the only advertisements were a single ad between post #2 and post #3 and the ones on the right side of the page....

It looks to me that the "SPAM" being seen is a result of not logging into the forum (where we have control over the screen content you see). When you're not logged in, the owner of the servers to which you're connected have control over the screens you see.

So, to prevent "excessive SPAM" log into the forum.

Sarge2
05-12-2021, 06:29 PM
That works for me.... ;)

LHaven
05-12-2021, 06:42 PM

Yup, this is what's happening. When you aren't logged in, there are extra ads inside posts.

I think what has triggered this complaint is that the forum seems to have been retuned recently to expire your login a lot sooner than it did over the past few years. It used to be I could access the forum for about a week without having to re-login. Now, I have to re-login every day, sometimes twice within the same day period. For the record, I liked the old behavior better, and wouldn't mind having the long login period back.

Sarge2
05-12-2021, 06:45 PM
If I'm away from the computer more than 20 minutes without any activity on this site, I have to log back in.... doesn't bother me to do that..

JRTJH
05-12-2021, 07:37 PM
When I logged out to check how the website functions when not logged in is the first time in over 6 months that I've been logged out. I don't believe there is a different response from the software for site team members and the general membership. At least I've never found anything different from a log-in perspective.

Have you checked the "remember me" box on the log-in screen?

LHaven
05-12-2021, 07:45 PM
When I logged out to check how the website functions when not logged in is the first time in over 6 months that I've been logged out. I don't believe there is a different response from the software for site team members and the general membership. At least I've never found anything different from a log-in perspective.

Have you checked the "remember me" box on the log-in screen?

Yes. And my experience has been identical on both my laptop and my phone, so I'm pretty confident that something has changed recently, like within the past month.

sourdough
05-12-2021, 08:11 PM
Something could have changed but I don't log off and I don't lose connection with the site unless my laptop/desktop does some sort of shut down or "update". Now when that happens I have had some weird things happen.

spade117
05-13-2021, 04:17 AM
I cannot remember the last time I had to log in.

I do notice that the location of where ads may appear depends on what browser/device I am using.

Bugford
05-13-2021, 05:26 AM
I can assure you that ads "within a post" are not a part of this forum's policy. I've never seen that type of ad (inside a post). And for you to have posted two, from the same thread, on consecutive posts, indicate that there is something "outside the forum software" that is affecting your screen view. As said, try logging into the forum and see what you find on the pages... If you continue to see "ads inside posts" run a "malware scan using your computer virus software". If it continues, please report the problem to the forum tech support with those photos. You can contact tech support by clicking on the "CONTACT US" button on the very bottom links on every forum webpage.

This is how your post looks on my ipad.

flybouy
05-13-2021, 06:15 AM
I have not seen this either but I run an ad and popup blocker and always log in. The site team, as a team, read every single post. If this was an issue with the forum software we would have noticed and addressed it. As has been suggested check or have your device checked by someone you trust for maleware and internet software settings.

JRTJH
05-13-2021, 06:19 AM
This is how your post looks on my ipad.

The next time you see that type of "ad within a post" please take a screen shot of your forum header, the upper right part of the webpage where your log-in information is displayed. Thanks.

flybouy
05-13-2021, 06:31 AM
In refrence to "logging in repeatidly" I too have the 'remember me" checked. I also run anti virus software that I can choose to remeber log in information and execute it automatically so it maybe that is working in the background. As for inactivity causing the site to "time out" and require logging back in that is a very common occurance on any "content sensitive" sites like financial institutions and government websites.

Bugford
05-13-2021, 06:48 AM
The next time you see that type of "ad within a post" please take a screen shot of your forum header, the upper right part of the webpage where your log-in information is displayed. Thanks.

I just installed ad block for safari and the ads within posts went away. Yay!

LHaven
05-30-2021, 12:42 PM
Lemme tell you what is annoying, and this is something that has only recently started.

There are Google Ads that are now permanently stuck in the right-hand column, blinky-blinky-changy-changy all the time. I say this not because that behavior is the annoyance, but to identify which ones are causing the problem.

Now, I'm reading this thread (https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47200&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email) where some fellow has posted four really clear photos of an awesome homemade hitch-mounted bumper, and when I click to make them bigger, the damn ad persists onto the magnified photo, continually blocking part of the photo, still blinkin' and changin' away. Stretching the screen horizontally doesn't move the ad off the photo, and there is no way to dismiss it.

That's annoying.

LHaven
07-10-2021, 02:16 PM
when I click to make them bigger, the damn ad persists onto the magnified photo, continually blocking part of the photo

Is there any chance of this getting fixed? The forum's photo feature is becoming all but useless, because the upper corners of all photos are now always overlaid by ads that you can't move off them. It would be nice to know that someone's thinking about the problem, at least.

notanlines
07-10-2021, 02:41 PM
I can’t help but believe that this is a problem with either your computer or your server. I don’t know of anyone else having this problem.

LHaven
07-10-2021, 02:55 PM
Pick a forum thread. Page down it until you see an ad in the right-hand column hit the top corner and stick there, floating down the page as you scroll. (In the image attached, the RAM ad.) Once this ad takes up permanent residence in the top corner, click on someone's thumbnail photo (like mine, in this posting) to expand it to full size. Does the ad not continue to hang in the corner of the page and partially block the photo?

sourdough
07-10-2021, 02:55 PM
Is there any chance of this getting fixed? The forum's photo feature is becoming all but useless, because the upper corners of all photos are now always overlaid by ads that you can't move off them. It would be nice to know that someone's thinking about the problem, at least.

If a post comes in with an attached photo and I click on it whatever ad sitting on the right then overlaps into the right of the picture. If I click the photo again the ad goes away and the photo enlarges a bit. If I click it yet again (with the little plus sign in the circle) it enlarges yet again. I just click the photo a 2nd time to make it go away.

LHaven
07-10-2021, 02:59 PM
OK, that's interesting.
But when you try to wend your way back to the thread, the ad is blocking the X that would dismiss the photo. :facepalm:

sourdough
07-10-2021, 03:11 PM
If yours is like mine;

I click on a pic in a post; the pic enlarges but there is an ad on the right side of it. If that is all that I want (the x in the upper right is obscured) I just hit the escape button and I'm back to the original post. If I'm looking at the post, enlarge with the ad in the corner, then click again for the larger pic without the ad, it opens in a separate window/browser. When I'm finished with that I click the x in the upper right of that browser and it returns me to the original thread and original post without any enlarged pic or ad.

flybouy
07-11-2021, 12:42 AM
I don't have the issue on my pc (Windows 10 Pro) but do experience it on my Adroid tablet. If I click on an image inside a post it will expand with nearly 1/2 the image covered with the ad. Click again and it may or may not enlarge. Some embedded images won't enlarge at all. If I hold down the stylus on the image (vs "clicking" on it) then a window will pop-up giving the option to "open the image in a new tab). When I take that option it works ok. It is annoying.

wiredgeorge
07-11-2021, 03:39 AM
I don't have the issue on my pc (Windows 10 Pro) but do experience it on my Adroid tablet. If I click on an image inside a post it will expand with nearly 1/2 the image covered with the ad. Click again and it may or may not enlarge. Some embedded images won't enlarge at all. If I hold down the stylus on the image (vs "clicking" on it) then a window will pop-up giving the option to "open the image in a new tab). When I take that option it works ok. It is annoying.

I have Win 10 Pro and have the problem with ads persisting over images that I attempt to view as well. Hopefully this little issue will get fixed at some point.

LHaven
07-11-2021, 11:57 AM
I have Win 10 Pro and have the problem with ads persisting over images that I attempt to view as well. Hopefully this little issue will get fixed at some point.

What's clear is that this problem was introduced by the advent of these fancy sliding ads. The forum software designers need to hear feedback that sliding ads were not an unalloyed good. I'm assuming this is a third-party company?

LHaven
07-25-2021, 01:48 PM
One more thing those fancy sliding ads broke: if one is active and you try to operate the "Search" choice on the top menu bar, the search box drops down BEHIND the ad, where you can't do anything with it. Same for the Quick Links menu.

flybouy
07-25-2021, 02:05 PM
What I have discovered is I only have this issue on the Android Tablet. I dropped down the menu and clicked on "view as a Desktop site" and the issue goes away.

LHaven
07-25-2021, 05:10 PM
Mine's on a Mac desktop and a Mac laptop.