PDA

View Full Version : Towing in heavy winds

Ken / Claudia
03-07-2020, 09:55 AM
I read on here about some having problems towing in windy conditions and some just not willing to do it. 2 days ago, we where coming back to PDX on I-84 from ID. Early morning I was just out of Ladd Canyon and on the flats til a nearby rest stop. Driving was relaxed 1 handed at 70 on CC. We stopped and when I opened the driver door, it was almost ripped from my hand. I almost lost my hat. I helped my wife out by holding her door. The RV door got away from me and slammed against the side. We had no clue about the wind, if I think it's windy I watch trees etc on the roadside. I never thought for a second it was that bad and I did not notice it pulling the RV.
When we continued I did notice it pushing the truck/trailer a little but really not anything to worry about. It was hitting as a side wind. Maybe it got worst I don't know.
I only guess that having a long wheelbase truck, a heavy truck and only a 7500 lb RV all helped. Makes me wonder why some have such a bad time.
Not saying everyone needs a 1 ton but I think it helps. My hitch is a WDH with a siding anti sway bar from Pro Series. I remember having trouble pulling 14 and 19 ft RVs with a SUV and 1/2 ton short wheelbase truck and did not like it both had a sliding anti sway bar, but no WDH.

JRTJH
03-07-2020, 10:22 AM
If you think of it along the lines of "flying a kite" the examples might help some understand better:

If you're flying a 10' kite, weigh 190 pounds and the wind is "brisk" nearly pulling the kite string from your hands, but you're managing to stay in one place and enjoy the "kite dancing in the sky".... now, hand that kite string to your 25 pound, 2 year old...… If you don't watch carefully, your child will wind up "flying across the field"....

Same applies to the "sailboat sail side on an RV"... Behind an adequate tow vehicle, it stays "solid and firmly planted in the lane".... Put that same "sailboat sail" behind a "lightweight/improperly matched tow vehicle" and like that "baby on the kite string" it'll wind up "all over the lawn".....

Huntme
03-07-2020, 11:14 AM
I read on here about some having problems towing in windy conditions and some just not willing to do it. 2 days ago, we where coming back to PDX on I-84 from ID. Early morning I was just out of Ladd Canyon and on the flats til a nearby rest stop. Driving was relaxed 1 handed at 70 on CC. We stopped and when I opened the driver door, it was almost ripped from my hand. I almost lost my hat. I helped my wife out by holding her door. The RV door got away from me and slammed against the side. We had no clue about the wind, if I think it's windy I watch trees etc on the roadside. I never thought for a second it was that bad and I did not notice it pulling the RV.
When we continued I did notice it pushing the truck/trailer a little but really not anything to worry about. It was hitting as a side wind. Maybe it got worst I don't know.
I only guess that having a long wheelbase truck, a heavy truck and only a 7500 lb RV all helped. Makes me wonder why some have such a bad time.
Not saying everyone needs a 1 ton but I think it helps. My hitch is a WDH with a siding anti sway bar from Pro Series. I remember having trouble pulling 14 and 19 ft RVs with a SUV and 1/2 ton short wheelbase truck and did not like it both had a sliding anti sway bar, but no WDH.

the Columbia River Gourge,in most cases,is Allways Windy,me and the Boss,my DW,Hunt in the White River Uniit,we travel up the Wind Hiway as I call it,towing my 24 foot TT,that wind is nasty,you are right,the WHD is a must,at least for me.

77cruiser
03-07-2020, 11:27 AM
Be glad it wasn't black ice like this guy on Cabbage Hill.

Huntme
03-07-2020, 11:38 AM
Be glad it wasn't black ice like this guy on Cabbage Hill.

Now there is a Mess.

Ken / Claudia
03-07-2020, 11:55 AM
The Columbia River gorge can get down right dangerous. I had to drive it on patrol when it was closed from PDX to Hood River or mainly Cascade Locks more then a few times. Once I stopped on a flat pavement shoulder near Rooster Rock park, the truck had chains on all four tires. I walked around the front and watched the truck slide about a foot sideways.
I was on river patrol year round and sometimes the river would send waves over the cabin. Interesting to be looking out the windshield, My rear was about 4 feet above the river and all you see is a wall of water higher then the boat maybe 8 ft tall. One wave took the radar cover off and damaged the unit.

There is a reason I only travel Cabbage hill in daylight during the winter months if towing. Last week that was all clear, snow still on roadsides and ground beyond the hill.

LHaven
03-07-2020, 04:11 PM
Our one and only experience with bad wind was a blast in Wyoming that translated us into the next lane before we were even aware of it. The force of the wind expanding after hitting the side of our trailer got up under the awning roll and ripped it right off the body.

Good times.

Jim2366
03-07-2020, 06:14 PM
High winds are a good time to stay put and wait a day to travel. I drove a day after high wind on Hwy 44 from St. Louis to Springfield, Missouri and counted 8 semi-trucks on their side that blew over.

sourdough
03-07-2020, 06:44 PM
I think "high" winds are relative to what a person is used to. We winter in FL and there is no "wind" to us. They think they are having a bad day if they have 15mph sustained. What they do have that I, and my awning, don't like are "whipping" winds that come from nowhere and hit stuff.. Out here in W TX 15mph is a slight breeze. I used to work outside many years ago and the only time I wasn't supposed to put up a 32' extension ladder was if the wind was "too stout and I felt I might get hurt" - that was usually about 40mph or so. Driving in it is a way of life and takes getting used to and adjustment along with dealing with sand across the road where you can't see the end of our hood. I've delayed a departure due to possible thunderstorms/hail/hurricane etc. but never for wind. I do think it is prudent to do so and probably will in the future because I too have seen many semis etc. overturned on the highway as I whizzed by. Probably not the smartest thing to do at this time of our lives. :D

busterbrown
03-07-2020, 07:24 PM
Last spring while RVing around the Southwest, we experienced (for the first time) the infamous NM and W. Texas winds that so many people talk about.

It is something to witness first hand; that is, the winds swirling in a way that it's like "the highway is parting the dust bowl sea". The DW and I appreciated every extra lb in our HD RAM Megacab, its 160 inch wheelbase, and the formidable Hensley.

Unfortunately, the truck's tonneau cover didn't fare well and was ripped off from its hardware. Unbelievable, the tenacity of those winds.

chuckster57
03-07-2020, 07:33 PM
Makes me think of our big trip in ‘09. We were headed west on I-80 in Wyoming. OTR trucks: tractor on right line of slow lane, first trailer centered in slow lane, second trailer in the fast lane.
Us: rear tires on the right line of the slow lane, trailer tires in the fast lane. We all “crabbed” down the highway for about 100 miles. I don’t want to repeat that one but I was happy I had 4 tires on the road in the rear of the truck.

Huntme
03-07-2020, 11:18 PM
The Columbia River gorge can get down right dangerous. I had to drive it on patrol when it was closed from PDX to Hood River or mainly Cascade Locks more then a few times. Once I stopped on a flat pavement shoulder near Rooster Rock park, the truck had chains on all four tires. I walked around the front and watched the truck slide about a foot sideways.
I was on river patrol year round and sometimes the river would send waves over the cabin. Interesting to be looking out the windshield, My rear was about 4 feet above the river and all you see is a wall of water higher then the boat maybe 8 ft tall. One wave took the radar cover off and damaged the unit.

There is a reason I only travel Cabbage hill in daylight during the winter months if towing. Last week that was all clear, snow still on roadsides and ground beyond the hill.

my wifes parents live on the Dales,so I travel that way a lot,cabbage is just nasty,I have had the opportunity to travel down Cabbage in December,nothing I would want to do with a trailer.

sonofcy
03-15-2020, 07:36 AM

I also barely notice the wind pulling my 16,000 lb 5er with my 14,000 lb diesel dually F450 1 ton plus. Just one of the reasons I bought the 450, bigger brakes, and tighter turning radius being the others as well as a tougher truck than a F350.

rodgebone
03-15-2020, 09:30 AM
I got "initiated" only 30 minutes after picking up my (first) new trailer from the dealer & heading straight up the Columbia River gorge. was a good learning experience because over the next 2 months and 7000 miles thru 11 states I hit windy conditions several times in eastern OR, SD, WY & AZ. but the worst was coming from Red Bluff into Redding early Oct 2019 when they shut all the power down in N CA due to high winds/fire concerns. even the truckers were pulling off I5. aside from watching the trees, ALWAYS do what the truckers are doing and keep an eye on their trailers. was so glad to get outta there.

buzzcop63
03-15-2020, 11:11 AM
Try riding the Columbia River Gorge in 40 to 50 mph winds on a Motorcycle doing 70, Suzuki GS1000E! Talk about an amusement park ride! My 1/2 ton tows without any problem but I would pull over and wait out the wind, head or tail wind OK but no side wind, unlike Ken my truck does not weight enough to handle the Gorge in side winds!

Badbart56
03-15-2020, 01:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf-dA6wUCmo

What I deal with in the winter. When it gets like this, we shut down. Sometimes you get caught though.

Huntme
03-17-2020, 10:19 PM
Try riding the Columbia River Gorge in 40 to 50 mph winds on a Motorcycle doing 70, Suzuki GS1000E! Talk about an amusement park ride! My 1/2 ton tows without any problem but I would pull over and wait out the wind, head or tail wind OK but no side wind, unlike Ken my truck does not weight enough to handle the Gorge in side winds!

my GoldWing does not like the wind,I have done that ride so many times,I have a friend who used to live in Pendleton,that run is a rough one,in 40 plus miles per hour wind.

CWtheMan
03-18-2020, 11:09 AM
Some places just close the roads. If you get up in the morning and find the winds have gone up over night and you're traveling I-5 and heading over the "Grape Vine" you should call the CHP. They regularly close the Grape Vine to truckers & RVers during high winds. We found out the hard way one year while heading south. The CHP rerouted us all the way out to I-15 for our trip to San Diego.

I've heard they will do it at the Donner Pass up on I-80 where you just have to wait it out.

gearhead
03-18-2020, 04:26 PM
I have only 1 comment...what's a PDX??

LHaven
03-18-2020, 04:34 PM
PDX = Portland (International Airport).

gearhead
03-19-2020, 04:08 AM
^^Thanks. Should have guessed.
Maybe The Cabbage is just as simple?

Northofu1
03-19-2020, 06:10 AM
One of the best explanations on sway there is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWJ4Iy6ek24

rodgebone
03-19-2020, 08:20 AM
Maybe The Cabbage is just as simple?
the "Cabbage" is Cabbage Hill just south of Pendleton

RET.LEO
03-25-2020, 07:39 AM
The solution is easy........ don't drive in high winds. Stay safe and stay put.

JRTJH
03-25-2020, 08:13 AM
The solution is easy........ don't drive in high winds. Stay safe and stay put.

Discretion is the better part of valor......

Ken / Claudia
03-25-2020, 10:46 AM
Cabbage hill is something like 6 miles up a 6% grade and about the same down with switch back turns. I think there is 2 truck escape ramps on the down grade. Never seen them being used, but seen truck tracks going way up them. For those who do not know DOT places thick gravel on a steep uphill off ramp.
The idea is a truck that lost it's brakes can get off the freeway and not kill someone. They go up the ramp and can finally come to a stop. Some slide back down a ways. They have big tow anchors buried into the ground. A tow truck gets them back on the road.

ADQ K9
03-25-2020, 07:15 PM
We deal with winds up here all the time I have a similar set up to Ken /Claudia.
IMO a long wheel base heavy TV is the building block to combat sway. A quality hitch with sway control makes up the second part of the equation.
Some may say that the hitch I have is overkill for an 8800# 29' trailer I say it is just right. The combo remains rock solid when opposing traffic (tractor trailers) passes.
I have never canceled/delayed a trip due to wind, that is not saying I never will though:D

bobbecky
03-27-2020, 12:49 PM
This is a link to a thread posted earlier this year on the Montana forum. The photo in the first post says a lot.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79849

Ken / Claudia
03-27-2020, 06:55 PM
I cannot see the photo, but the guy made the statement about this being his 1st outing as a full timer. Unknown if he ever pulled an RV before that day. He also said the wind blew and where was nothing he could do. If I investigated the crash and got truthful answers to my questions, I bet I could have informed him how he would have not crashed if he did a few things differently.
I have been hit with some really high winds on a motorcycle, car, truck, truck or SUV towing a boat,camper, TT and never crashed. Never even nearly crashed.
Bottom line I bet he panicked and had no idea how to recover.

JRTJH
03-27-2020, 07:11 PM
The only way to see photos on the Montana Owner's site is to be a member. Here is the photo linked in the post above: And, yes, it is (was) a Montana fifth wheel.

bobbecky
03-27-2020, 08:07 PM
That was a 2012 Montana 3585SA, but no idea how long they had it or what his experience with it was. This is a link to additional photos: https://imgur.com/gallery/Tm1R2mv

notanlines
03-28-2020, 01:58 AM
He said in that forum that their only real loss was their cat running away from the scene and has never been found. Said the insurance company was more than fair. No serious injuries.
On a brighter note, I believe there is a crew in northern Indiana that could put that Montana back together. :eek:

ctbruce
03-28-2020, 05:27 AM
A little duct tape and viola...good as new! Glad they weren't hurt. That had to be scarey.

flybouy
03-28-2020, 08:32 AM
That'll buff out, no problem.

mtofell
03-29-2020, 11:44 AM
The Columbia River George can be some of the most treacherous driving conditions you'll ever find. +/- 20 years ago when I was a much younger and less experience driver (probably about 25 years old) I was heading through Cabbage Hill in the ice storm at night. Heading west up the hill I probably passed 15 18-wheelers that were crawling along. So, I crest the top and start heading down and it's just flat out scary.... problem was, now all of the trucks that I passed are now barreling down behind me.....no slowing down or stopping unless I was to be a splatter mark on the pavement! That night I learned when to stay home.... and I learned that truckers have no fear!

dutchmensport
03-29-2020, 12:19 PM
It makes a big, big, big difference if the wind is pushing from behind, or if driving head-on into it. This will either give you fantastic fuel mileage or horrible mileage.

Side wind is horrible, no matter what your camper or tow vehicle is, or even a Motor Home. Side winds have been known to blow over even Semi-Truck trailers, and even campers set up, not even in tow.

You must have been experiencing a pronounced tail wind. Speaking from experience, driving in all sorts of conditions, and with several different tow vehicles and trailer combinations, when you have a strong tail wind, you barely notice it.

Given enough side wind, and even the best of them blow over. There would be no match going down the road at 60 mph with a strong side wind:

Pop Up camper at a dealership lot (Southern Indiana):

https://i.imgur.com/cO0xWHc.jpg

Mobile home blown over, and it had ground anchors, not far from where I live:

https://i.imgur.com/QOVC1cM.jpg

In such weather, your absolute best choice is to simply stay put until the winds subside. And staying inside the camper in such winds is NOT a good idea either.