PDA

View Full Version : Changing electric awning to manual

gopeek
09-26-2009, 03:44 PM
I have a 2010 copper canyon 298bhs with the electric awning and I dont like the way it works.I cant leave it up and angle down in the rain.Keystone tells me it is only a sun shade.What will I need to change it over besides arms and pluging the holes. Thanks

Flyguy
09-27-2009, 06:43 AM
Most all of the power awnings have an auto-dump feature that will dump rain water from the awning automatically, it will sense water buildup on the awning and lower one side of the awning to dump the water. Is your awning a "Carefree" or a "Dometic A&E"? Here's the link to the manual for a typical power awning, page 8 describes the auto-dump feature. http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/pdf/052547-221,%20Eclipse%20Owners%20Manual.pdf As far as changing to a manual type awning, I'm sure that it can be done but maybe you just need to get familiar with the features of the awning that you have, sounds like there is a lot that you just don't know about it, did you get a manual for it with the trailer info package?

bennydog
09-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Our 2010 Cougar came with a Dometic Electric and I was routing around their web site and found they have a model that will retract in high wind but did not see one that also dumped in rain. We can pull down one end or the other and the rain will run off. I did drop them an email asking if one could retrofit an existing electric to include the wind feature and they informed me that I would need to replace the whole thing. I'm betting that if I could find a parts list one could order the parts and do it one's self. Maybe next year.

gopeek
09-28-2009, 05:21 PM
It's a a&e with the kit for the arms but it moves up and down really easy, not much to stop it.

geo
10-31-2012, 12:09 PM
Our 2010 Cougar came with a Dometic Electric and I was routing around their web site and found they have a model that will retract in high wind but did not see one that also dumped in rain. We can pull down one end or the other and the rain will run off. I did drop them an email asking if one could retrofit an existing electric to include the wind feature and they informed me that I would need to replace the whole thing. I'm betting that if I could find a parts list one could order the parts and do it one's self. Maybe next year.

Bennydog -

My bet is that if you put the wind sensor/retract on your awning, it wouldn't be too long before you would be taking it off. Those things are finicky! One will be sitting outside under the awning in the wonderful shade, and just a slight summer breeze will pass by. Awning goes up and leaves one in the baking sun! Or if one is foolish enough to trust it, one leaves the awning out and runs down to the store, only to find the whole awning and everything else torn up because a sudden gust came up and the darned thing didn't retract!

Some things are best left to human intervention.

Ron

Brantlaker
10-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Go to the "For Sale":) section and look at dunnnc's Power Awning Tie Down Pole Kit. I just installed a kit and they work. Winds to day here in SC were 5-10 gust of 20 mph. and they held it down.Can be adjusted to pull one side down for drainage.

dunnnc
11-02-2012, 07:19 AM
I have one set left. PM me for details.

35mastr
11-02-2012, 07:34 AM
I also have an electric on my new trailer also. Only used on our last trip last week. Not real crazy about it just yet. I have always had a manual one on all my coaches.

campingcpl
11-02-2012, 07:59 AM
The A&E awing that came on our trailer did not have anyway of dumping the rain. But thanks to a mishap by a service tech at the dealership we bought our unit from they replaced one of the arms with an arm that is adjustable and we can lower one end to dump the rain water. Maybe this would be the answer to your problem and would probably be a lot cheaper then trying to replace the whole awning.