PDA

View Full Version : Champion 2000w inverter generator

jim1
03-04-2020, 08:00 AM
Has anyone had any experience with these gen sets? I can buy the 2 - 2000w stackable inverters with the parallel kit and generator covers for $1125. So just wondering if it' a good or bad investment.

JRTJH
03-04-2020, 09:09 AM
There are two different types of Champion 2000 watt inverter generators, both are stackable.

The older style is the "box type" generator (the ones I have) and the newer style is the "suitcase type".

Both seem to be good choices at half the cost of Honda/Yamaha models.

Ours always start on the first or second pull, power the trailer (one generator in the spring/fall and two when we need the A/C for cooling).

We paid $399 each for the generators and $49 for the parallel kit' That's $850 for the setup, so your price seems "quite expensive". I'd suggest you watch for "sales" which will, no doubt, start happening the closer we get to "camping season"....

We bought ours from Blain's Fleet and Farm which had them on sale with free shipping.

Even if you can't find a sale when you're ready to buy, Home Depot sells the generators for $499 each and, if you're a veteran, there's a 10% discount on all purchases. That would make your total purchases about $105 less than your quoted price, even if you bought the set today.

Tuz5150
03-04-2020, 09:35 AM
Has anyone had any experience with these gen sets? I can buy the 2 - 2000w stackable inverters with the parallel kit and generator covers for $1125. So just wondering if it' a good or bad investment.

I have the 3400W one, used it all summer/fall living on my property in northern MI. its quiet... sorta for a 3400W one, and it's comparable to honda for noise.

It runs my AC, as long a DW isn't making coffee.

Really satisfied with it, but it's made in China (a problem for me) Won't need it this year, as power pole being installed in May

Jfreek65
03-04-2020, 11:50 AM
My family has had great experiences with Champions for the money.

However, I just picked up the Westinghouse 4500DF from Amazon as I liked the ability to run it on with gasoline or propane. It’s one of the quietest non Honda model inverters I’ve seen. Might be worth looking at their line as they also have 2000-2500 models.

66joej
03-04-2020, 03:09 PM

If quoting Canadian $ that equates to ~840 USD.

JRTJH
03-04-2020, 04:03 PM
If quoting Canadian $ that equates to ~840 USD.

If that's the case, then his price is $10 less than I paid (on sale) 5 years ago !!!

Willie & Bev
03-04-2020, 08:05 PM
I bought two of the Champions at Rural King at their black Friday sale. I ordered and installed hour meters on both of them. So far I haven't had a chance to use them. I did start one up and ran it for the five hours and then changed oil. I only loaded them to about half capacity and varied that. It started easy. Mine are the box style.

Willie

jim1
03-06-2020, 07:05 AM
YA that would be a great price in Canada, but the $1125 is US =$1509 Canadian, funny money but it sure has some pretty colours

jim1
03-06-2020, 07:09 AM
The 2000w Champion inverter gen set up here is $799 Can for each generator at Canadian Tire store and $1400-$1550 Can each for the Honda 2200 generators

JRTJH
03-06-2020, 08:23 AM
The 2000w Champion inverter gen set up here is $799 Can for each generator at Canadian Tire store and $1400-$1550 Can each for the Honda 2200 generators

That sounds "about right" for price differences between Honda/Champion. Some prefer the "reliability/longevity/name" that goes with Honda, and for them, it's worth the price difference. On the other hand, some prefer the reliability/longevity/cheaper name that goes with the Champion line. In years past, there was much more "difference" than there is in today's generator lines. Champion has come a long, long way in their generator lines in recent years. Even the "new suitcase line" has some significant improvements over the older "box type" generators. While, for me, it's not enough to motivate paying for new ones, if I were in the market to buy for the first time, I think I'd opt for the suitcase style. That said, if the "suitcase costs $599 and the box costs $399"... well, I'd buy exactly what I now have and keep the money to buy more of that "corona virus spray that comes in Jack Daniels bottles".....

jim1
03-08-2020, 11:00 AM
YAY for JD spray ������

flybouy
03-08-2020, 11:12 AM
John,
With all due respect, please STOP talking about the JD spray! For the love of God we can't have a run on Jack and create a shortage.:banghead:
Now that would be a national emergency!:lol:

JRTJH
03-08-2020, 01:02 PM
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/dont-tell-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

Hmmm...….

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/smile/embarrassed-smile-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/) http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/drink/drinking-beer.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

oldnjrver
03-08-2020, 01:50 PM
I have used a pair of champion 2000 watt units for the past 4 years, with a parallel kit. They have been very reliable.
Because I didn't exercise them on a regular basis, this past year, the carburetor on one got plugged up and when I took it in for service the service guy told me that the cost of a replacement carb and the labor would be almost as much as buying a new one generator. The other runs as good as new. Never had any problem when I used Sta-bil. Last year I tried using Seafoam stabilizer and one of the carbs plugged up..

Just bought a cummins onan 4500 watt inverter for $1049.00. It and the Westinghouse 4500 watt inverters look like clones, and came on the market at about the same time.
It seems that the larger ports in the larger engine carbs are less sensitive to blockage especially when you use Sta-bil, gasoline stabilizer. It comes with a remote electric start.. Its a bit of a tradeoff because it weighs 100 lbs where the champions only weigh 45 lbs each, so it takes a bit more effort to get it into the back of my pickup.
I can also run my AC and Microwave at the same time with the Cummins. Couldn't do it with the 2 champions.

I can make you a heck of a deal on a 2000 watt champion with parallel kit if your interested....

Safe and happy travels

oldnjrver
03-08-2020, 02:07 PM
I forgot to mention that exercising these generators is critical. At least every month or two..

I did get a recommendation to purchase some Stihl 50:1 2 cycle fuel, which is non ethanol gas and 2 cycle oil.

And before storing the gen sets, run it thru the carb, after draining all of the gas out of the gas tank and carb. It lubes the cylinder and prevents blockage in the carb ports.

JRTJH
03-08-2020, 02:42 PM
Around here, "ethanol free gas" is called "Rec Gas" is 90 octane and about 15-25 cents more a gallon than regular, 10% ethanol. I started using "Rec Gas" in all my small engine equipment about 10 years ago. Before that, I was replacing a carb and/or fuel lines on equipment almost every year. Since I started using "alcohol free gas" I haven't had a carb failure. I do still use StaBil Marine stabilizer (gray stuff) in my rec gas in the fall. That's because it "may wind up in the equipment when I put it away for the season"... During the spring/summer, I just use the Rec Gas without stabilizer as I go through it fast enough that it's never more than a couple weeks old.

If you can find it, it's worth the extra price to buy "ethanol free gas" for all your small engine equipment. In some places, premium grade gas is ethanol free, in some places NOTHING is ethanol free, so do some checking with oil/gas distributors in the area before you give up trying to find it.

flybouy
03-08-2020, 02:57 PM
Try this site. https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp

JRTJH
03-08-2020, 02:59 PM
I'm not sure how "handy" you are, but if you are up to the challenge of replacing the carburetor on your "fouled Champion" you can buy a replacement carb at Amazon for $13. https://www.amazon.com/Janrui-Carburetor-Intake-Manifold-Generator/dp/B06XGVCMKK/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=carburetor+for+champion+2000+ generator&qid=1583707986&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-19

Make sure it fits your model, this is the one that is supposed to be for my 73536i generators. There are several reviews that say it doesn't fit and just as many that say it fits and runs fine, so I don't know for sure if it will work, but as with anything "Amazon Prime" if it doesn't work, you can return it and they'll pay the postage.

ADDED: Here is the link to the Champion instructions on how to replace the carb: http://help.championpowerequipment.com/article/IIOtU60PKV-2000-w-watt-inverter-carburetor-replacement

If you're not sure about which P/N carb to buy, you can order an OEM carb from Champion at this link: http://help.championpowerequipment.com/article/v6DySYny6C-how-do-i-order-replacement-or-spare-parts It's not an online order, you'll have to call them to order. My guess is the carb will cost around $40 from them.

oldnjrver
03-09-2020, 03:32 AM
Thanks for all the good information..
I'm certainly going to get some of that ethanol free gas..
As for the carb, I'll definitely check it out..
will keep you all posted on the progress with purchasing the carb, though it may take a while.

safe and happy travels to all :wave:

oldnjrver
03-09-2020, 07:01 AM
Wow!! you guys were right!! replacement carb was only $25 + $3 shipping from Supergen products!!:bow:
The install instructions look to be pretty simple as well!!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!:bdance:

Safe trips, Happy travels and all the best..

JRTJH
03-09-2020, 07:45 AM
That's great news (and cheap too) !!!

Keep us posted once you do the carb change. Your experiences will help others with a similar problem and likely reassure them that "working on a generator" is not a "dark deep secret rabbit hole"....

jim1
03-09-2020, 11:22 AM
Hi, SuperGen is the place I ordered my 2-2000w inverter gen sets w/paralell kit and covers. Every thing showed up real fast and in perfect condition! The guys at Super GenAre really great to deal with and will answer all your questions even my dumb ones.

oldnjrver
03-09-2020, 01:07 PM
I couldn't agree more.. All of my dealings with supergen have been great!!
As for replacing the carb on the generator drive motor, I don't fear that reaper.. Started rebuilding small engines when I was 14.. Mowed a lot of lawns for money, so I could build ride and repair my mini bike. I have very little experience with generator electronics, and prefer to leave that to the pros..:cool:

Lawdog
03-12-2020, 09:21 AM
Hi, SuperGen is the place I ordered my 2-2000w inverter gen sets w/paralell kit and covers. Every thing showed up real fast and in perfect condition! The guys at Super GenAre really great to deal with and will answer all your questions even my dumb ones.

I am late to this thread, but will post a few short comments that I hope are useful.

1. I am on my second Champion generator. I went from a 2000w inverter to their 3400w inverter when I got a bigger camper. I was not really interested in running two in parallel. In our group, we have three guys running one variant or the other of the Champions. All have run flawlessly for years.

2. When I upgraded to the bigger model, I bought a "refurb" from SuperGen's eBay store. They set the jetting for my higher altitude for free. The guy called me later to check in and make sure all was good. Sent his business card in the package. I think the refurbs from them are better than new for that reason and the price was great. Their customer service on the front end was stellar.

3. I run only ethanol free in all my small motors. Easy to get still in Montana for me. I don't "exercise" them every month because during the winter, that is not practical where I live. I do however very carefully run it dry at the end of the season and run a healthy dose of SeaFoam through it as it runs dry. Also, at the end of every trip, I turn off the fuel supply and let it run dry to minimize what fuel is left in the carbs and lines between outings. In the spring, I put some more SeaFoam in the first fill of fresh fuel and give a couple of light tugs of the pull cord to prime the fuel lines and then pull it for real. Starts and runs flawlessly every time.

I am 100% happy with these inexpensive gennies.

BAPotter
03-12-2020, 09:28 AM
I've had my 2 box style with parallel kit for almost 3 years. Can't lift the larger heavier ones but can run everything on the dual units. After much research I found that the carburetors use the Yamaha jets. When I'm over 7500 feet I switch to the smaller high altitude jets. It's about a 10 minute job. Yamaha part number 1HX-1423A-63-A0 #62.5 Main Jet. If I recall the OEM Jet is a #65. If the carb is gummed up, it's likely only the jet that's plugged.

x96mnn
03-12-2020, 06:18 PM
I have over a 1000 hours on a Champion 3400 watt inverter with no issues and a friend owns the 2000 watt model with less hours and no issues.

I change the oil every 100 hours, I use synthetic oil, keep the spark arrester clean and run supreme fuel. Only thing else I do is add stabilizer If it will sit for more than 60 days.

RET.LEO
03-13-2020, 08:18 AM
Around here, "ethanol free gas" is called "Rec Gas" is 90 octane and about 15-25 cents more a gallon than regular, 10% ethanol. I started using "Rec Gas" in all my small engine equipment about 10 years ago. Before that, I was replacing a carb and/or fuel lines on equipment almost every year. Since I started using "alcohol free gas" I haven't had a carb failure. I do still use StaBil Marine stabilizer (gray stuff) in my rec gas in the fall. That's because it "may wind up in the equipment when I put it away for the season"... During the spring/summer, I just use the Rec Gas without stabilizer as I go through it fast enough that it's never more than a couple weeks old.

If you can find it, it's worth the extra price to buy "ethanol free gas" for all your small engine equipment. In some places, premium grade gas is ethanol free, in some places NOTHING is ethanol free, so do some checking with oil/gas distributors in the area before you give up trying to find it.
Amen!!!My small engine repair guy told me years ago to always use Shell Nitro as here in IL it's real gas...no corn syrup. It's expensive but so are new engines and repairs.
I have small engines that get ran hard...still purring along at over 13 years for a couple of them. I'm a firm believer in quality "real gas" I don't eat the cheapest food I can find....my engines whether it's car, trucks, small engines eat and drink the same way :D