PDA

View Full Version : Outside lock replacement

Bbouch84
02-29-2020, 02:37 PM
So as we all know we all have the same key for the outside locks IE storage passthru and what not. There is a company that makes locks that you can have keyed alike for 12.00 a piece plus shipping..

Well the wife and i took a little trip to lowes today to get a few random things and i had the idea to look for a lock well i found it.

They are Gate locks by all the door locks and what not you want the ones that would fit the thickness of your doors. For us for example on our 2020 Bullet were for a 13/16th thick door. Now here is the bonus you can see the key number on the key IE 321133 just look through a few of them for how every many you need and match the number on the key and BINGO keyed alike for 5.00 a piece you wont be keyed like every other camper in the world.

notanlines
02-29-2020, 02:41 PM
Let's look at this through a different lens. When have you ever in your life talked to an RV'er who had another RV'er use their key to enter the basement (pass-thru) and steal something? I thought not....

Bbouch84
02-29-2020, 09:28 PM
Actually ive seen a few times where stuff has been stolen out of basements and pass thrus even bicycles have been stolen in broad day light

LHaven
02-29-2020, 10:59 PM
Let's look at this through a different lens. When have you ever in your life talked to an RV'er who had another RV'er use their key to enter the basement (pass-thru) and steal something? I thought not....

No, but I've heard of cases where common thieves got into storage yards with a CH751 and cherry-picked all the cargo compartments.

KRumm
02-29-2020, 11:42 PM
A good thief would bring a crowbar and only bother with the locked one... ;-)

flybouy
03-01-2020, 05:41 AM
Years ago had my front storage pass thru pillaged, as did the rest of the patrons. The jerk hit the lot during mid winter. Even locked all the trailers back up so no one would notice. The security camera tapes were "recorded over" every 7 days so they were useless.

Tbos
03-01-2020, 06:27 PM
Years ago we were locked out of our trailer. A friend used his 751 key to open our pass through so I could get my tools and break in to our camper.

Customer1
03-01-2020, 06:27 PM
A stout screwdriver will open a baggage door faster than the key. Criminals don't care how much damage they cause to the door.

travelin texans
03-01-2020, 09:50 PM
A stout screwdriver will open a baggage door faster than the key. Criminals don't care how much damage they cause to the door.

Totally agree!
Regardless of how much $$$ you spend on locks a crowbar or large screwdriver will get them, RV doors & baggage compartments, open in about a second & a half, but if it gives you piece of mind.

JRTJH
03-02-2020, 07:09 AM
RV baggage doors are usually made of an aluminum frame and a sheet of 0.020 "skin". Some have 1/2" or 3/4" rigid foam behind that, usually with a vinyl backing skin on the inside of the door.

RV entry doors are built the same but the rigid foam is 1" or 1.25" thick.

All it takes to "break into" any RV is a "stout kick, a solid hit or a 12" screwdriver applied to the thin aluminum frame"...

It's been said that "Locks keep honest people honest but a crook will ignore the lock"....

With that in mind, I'd suggest, "An honest person wouldn't use a CH751 key in your locks any more than they would a IE 321133 (or any other coded key). A crook, on the other hand, likely won't be slowed down any appreciable amount by any lock, no matter how unique or how strong it might be, when they want into an RV with its "thin skinned door systems".....

It's the door, not the lock that's the "weakest link" in any RV. Changing locks is a "feel good exercise for the owner" with no improvement in overall security for the RV.

thefulminator
03-12-2020, 08:29 AM

True but I don't want it to be easy for anyone to get into my storage compartments. This is the same reason I have a locking mailbox at home.

When we purchased our trailer I installed combi-cam combination locks. They worked great but as my wife and I get older the numbers on the locks got too hard to read especially at night.

Last year I ordered tubular key locks from https://shoprvlocks.com/. They can do everything custom for what I thought was a decent price. They have several types of locks for different door thicknesses, cam lengths, cam bends and key colors. You can order all the locks with the same key and they keep your order info so if you ever want more locks or keys they have the key number on file.

https://shoprvlocks.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/TCL7803-600x600.jpg

ckittila
03-12-2020, 12:57 PM
Locks are available all over Amazon. I changed a couple of mine, but here is what I learned.
1. Be sure to measure each cabinet you plan to change the lock on. Be sure to buy one long enough—better yet measure the shaft on each lock you plan to replace.
2. Some of the more secure barrel key locks (like in vending machines) do not release the key. The key is captive in some of these locks until they are locked. Some may release the key in both the locked and unlocked state. There are benefits in both types. For example, I have a captive key lock on my panel for my hydraulic slide control. I don’t want people monkeying around with my controls and I want this cabinet locked after I set the jacks. With a captive key, I always remember to lock it because I can’t get my keys back until I do.
3. The downside of changing these locks is when you take it to the shop. You must remember to give the shop all the special keys for all the cabinets. You also must get them all back from the shop.
4. Get extra keys. If you lose your keys while camping, you can’t get into your cabinets.
5. Aside from locking my control cabinet, I don’t see a lot of merit in changing these lock out. I have never had anything stolen and I take solace in the comfort I can find a 751 from any neighbor.

Hoopy Frood
03-12-2020, 01:53 PM
$10.00 lock and 10 cent door. Waste of money.

Cougar Jim
03-12-2020, 03:35 PM

Lets look at this through a positive lens.....2 yrs ago we were at a campground in Cody, WY when sustained high winds came on. The newbie across the aisle left his awning out when he was gone for the day. his 21ft camper began moving sideways. Five guys grabbed the awning to steady it until I could get my ring of keys and unlock the entry door and retract his awning. saving his RV from damage. Locked it when we left.

I work part-time for a very large RV dealer and with my ring of keys I can unlock any RV EXCEPT for the deadbolt locks.

LHaven
03-12-2020, 04:00 PM

True, but when I can show a damaged door, my insurance company is more inclined to believe I was actually burgled. If he gets in and out with a key, I'm pretty much up the creek.

chuckster57
03-12-2020, 04:32 PM
I work part-time for a very large RV dealer and with my ring of keys I can unlock any RV EXCEPT for the deadbolt locks.

Must be a HUGE ring.

Cougar Jim
03-12-2020, 08:41 PM
Must be a HUGE ring.

Actually a ring of about 15 keys with really only four keys being used the most ! 😎

RET.LEO
03-13-2020, 08:25 AM
The whole thing after 17 years experience with "midnight shoppers" is the more you can do to either slow them down, make it louder to "shop" or to encourage them to move to a easier "midnight store" the better.
There is no way to 100% keeping the "midnight shoppers" out if they really want something but the more you can do to discourage their "shopping habits" the better.
Good post Bbouch84:bow:

flybouy
03-13-2020, 08:43 AM
The whole thing after 17 years experience with "midnight shoppers" is the more you can do to either slow them down, make it louder to "shop" or to encourage them to move to a easier "midnight store" the better.
There is no way to 100% keeping the "midnight shoppers" out if they really want something but the more you can do to discourage their "shopping habits" the better.
Good post Bbouch84:bow:

Couldn't agree more. I would add that of all the thousands of people that have a 751 key not ONE of them (or their family) would steal? That's naive. How well do you know the people that have a camper in your storage lot? Hell, most people don't know the people that live a couple of hundred feet from their front door.

So here's my point. Let's say you are in the storage lot winterizing you're camper. A guy pulls up and starts unloading the storage compartment into his truck. He has a key, he smiles, he says hello and makes a statement like "it's that time of the year, time to unload and put things away for another winter!". Chances are, you think he belongs and you go about your business. I'm thinking if he's got a crowbar it would go differently.

ckittila .. regarding your post, why buy locks with different keys? I rekeyed all my locks with the same key. That way I only need one key. As for spares, well now I have plenty of those! I replaced 4 locksets to match the front door. Each replacement lock set, as well as the original, came with 2 keys each for a total of 10 keys. I have a key on the key ring for the camper, one on the keyring for each truck, and one in the center console of each truck

It's a personal choice thing but for my meager money it's justified. YMMV

skids
03-14-2020, 03:06 PM
Lets look at this through a positive lens.....2 yrs ago we were at a campground in Cody, WY when sustained high winds came on. The newbie across the aisle left his awning out when he was gone for the day. his 21ft camper began moving sideways. Five guys grabbed the awning to steady it until I could get my ring of keys and unlock the entry door and retract his awning. saving his RV from damage. Locked it when we left.

That was a very good deed by you folks. I hope they gave you their thanks!

thefulminator
03-19-2020, 09:40 AM
Couldn't agree more. I would add that of all the thousands of people that have a 751 key not ONE of them (or their family) would steal? That's naive. How well do you know the people that have a camper in your storage lot? Hell, most people don't know the people that live a couple of hundred feet from their front door.

So here's my point. Let's say you are in the storage lot winterizing you're camper. A guy pulls up and starts unloading the storage compartment into his truck. He has a key, he smiles, he says hello and makes a statement like "it's that time of the year, time to unload and put things away for another winter!". Chances are, you think he belongs and you go about your business. I'm thinking if he's got a crowbar it would go differently.

ckittila .. regarding your post, why buy locks with different keys? I rekeyed all my locks with the same key. That way I only need one key. As for spares, well now I have plenty of those! I replaced 4 locksets to match the front door. Each replacement lock set, as well as the original, came with 2 keys each for a total of 10 keys. I have a key on the key ring for the camper, one on the keyring for each truck, and one in the center console of each truck

It's a personal choice thing but for my meager money it's justified. YMMV

This goes for propane tanks and spare tires too. I cable lock both to my trailer. Many years ago my dad found his trailer which was in storage with the spare tire cover removed and on the ground. Apparently someone was going to grab his spare but didn't like it once the cover off. I believe that the crook is going to take the easiest route which isn't going to be my trailer.

LHaven
03-19-2020, 06:57 PM
This goes for propane tanks and spare tires too. I cable lock both to my trailer.

Here's a humorous sidenote…

Recently, in one of the regular email solicitations I get from RV accessories outlets, there was a special on a propane tray lock to replace the usual giant wingnut between the tanks. It was an unwieldy bright red gizmo with lots of impressive protruding flanges and a keyhole, and cost over $80.

I asked them whether the kit included a piece to lock the nut at the bottom of the rod, and they replied, "the threaded rod cannot be removed without specific tools which prevent an opportunity theft."

Whoop-de-do, a pair of pliers. I wonder if NASA would let just anybody borrow theirs.