PDA

View Full Version : Water heater bypass

HIDE-EE
02-29-2020, 12:46 PM
Hello all. Doing some maintenance, have a question. 2019 hideout 303RLI fifth wheel. There is only one valve on what looks like cold into the water so will this bypass the water heater? I bought a bypass kit but if the original set up will by pass the water heater I figured no need to change what’s there. Thanks

flybouy
02-29-2020, 01:30 PM
The one valve is all that's needed. The hot water line has a "check valve" at the heater that allows the hot water to flow out but doesn't allow water to enter on the hot water side..

chuckster57
02-29-2020, 01:31 PM
As the valve sits in the picture, the water heater is in “normal”. If you rotate the valve 1/4 turn the water heater will be in “bypass” mode. There is a one way valve at the hot out fitting so antifreeze shouldn’t flow into the tank.

HIDE-EE
02-29-2020, 02:36 PM
Great thanks! Cross that off my list. Now I just need to make it more accessible.

JRTJH
02-29-2020, 03:16 PM
Here's what a lot of us have done: You can buy a 6" or 9" access port on Amazon, eBay or any marine parts store.

CFDfireman90
02-29-2020, 03:29 PM
When I winterize I always do it with the drain plug or anode rode removed. Just in case the bypass valve isn’t working you’ll know when antifreeze comes out the drain hole. Additionally I use this opportunity to rinse out the water heater tank.

HIDE-EE
02-29-2020, 06:31 PM
Good idea about the access hole. I was thinking about making a door but that looks easier. And yes I took the opportunity to replace the aniode and clean out the water heater tank. Lucky for me I don’t need to use antifreeze here in the north Bay Area California ( Probably the only good thing about living here but that’s another topic lol). Just preparing to sanitize the fresh tank on the next trip to full hook ups.