PDA

View Full Version : Trucker made my day

roadglide
02-28-2020, 06:41 PM
About 60 miles from home yesterday I’m cruising along a Rule Rd., New Mexico trucker passed me and pointing at my camper. I pulled over did a walk around o crap the rear ele stabilizer are inches from the ground I get my rope and tie both jacks up . I removed eight bolts some wires put it on the wagon took it to the shop. The wrist pin on the motor side came out and lost the bushing couple’s the motor and shaft . I made bushing and used grade 8 bolts . It was night mare from until I put a Ratchet strap across the leg pad stands to hold everything in place.

Brentw
02-28-2020, 07:02 PM
Good deal.

JRTJH
02-29-2020, 12:23 PM
I think that grade 8 bolt that you used might be a "too strong link". If I remember, the bolts used in those jacks is a "shear pin" designed to protect the motor/gear set from damage in the event of binding. You might want to dig out your owner's manual for the jacks and see "exactly" what strength bolt" is used in that location.

flybouy
02-29-2020, 01:21 PM
Mine have a 1/16" roll pin. On the one Jack that I added,it would shear if it was ran up too hard. I added that Jack amidships under the trailer. I bought that jack from the clearance section of one of the popular websites. I think it may have been Tweety's but wouldn't swear to it.

After looking closely at the original jacks the roll pin in those were larger dial. I drilled it out and replaced it with the next size up and never had another problem. I'm guessing that's why it was in the clearance section.

The one thing I recommend on those jacks is to periodically was the threaded rod and lube it and the thrust washers with a silicone lube. On my unit the rocker switch is mounted in the aluminum "J" channel and is susceptible to dirt and moisture. I spray the sides of the rocker switch so it goes inside with WD40 to chase out any moisture.

roadglide
02-29-2020, 02:50 PM
:ermm: The motor shaft is a fork and the coupler is 1/2 pipe . I couldn’t find a part for The lippert elect jack . Everything came apart inside the jack because the wrist pin broke and that is all that holds everything together. I will take my chances on a motor failure then waiting for a wristpin failure and catastrophic failure to happen on the road.

roadglide
02-29-2020, 03:03 PM
This is the way I had to tie the jack legs up along side the rode I believe it just happened after we got fuel.

+Ruff Rider
03-01-2020, 09:05 PM
I helped a guy that had electric stabilizers once. Some how the button got pushed and the stabilizers acme down and hit the road and bent them. i gave him a hand and er got them back up and disconnected the switch. I kind of like the old school ones with the screws to raise and lower.

roadglide
03-02-2020, 06:06 AM
That’s not a bad idea I could remove the motor that is forked shafted and slide it off and use the crank to manually operate the scissor jacks.

flybouy
03-02-2020, 05:56 PM
Seems like a "drastic remedy" for a "rare issue". The rocker switch can stick, that's why a little spray of WD40 periodically will prevent that. I turn off my battery switch, spray the rocker switch back $ forth a few times and mine have been problem free.
YMMV

roadglide
03-02-2020, 07:58 PM
Seems like a "drastic remedy" for a "rare issue". The rocker switch can stick, that's why a little spray of WD40 periodically will prevent that. I turn off my battery switch, spray the rocker switch back $ forth a few times and mine have been problem free.
YMMV

I may use Electric contact cleaner on the switch. The switch has a sealed box with a latch door it’s protected from the elements. I have never had trouble with the switch. I agree the scissor jacks coming apart like they did is rare . I knew the pin had sheared and had already lost the coupler and noticed it the day I was leaving the desert I just wished I had tied it up before I left . I had no idea that it would self destruct like that.