PDA

View Full Version : iN-Command giving Check Water Heater Alert

rduna11089
02-28-2020, 08:14 AM
This morning after showers, my In-Command app gave me the alert to check the water heater. It showed off on the panel so I turned it on. The alert came back up. I went out to the water heater and checked connections, etc. I can here it clicking when I select gas or electric to turn it on. But don't hear it otherwise. Plus no hot water now. Any ideas of what to start looking for, check, etc?

flybouy
02-28-2020, 09:26 AM
If it's "clicking" the ignitor is firing to ignite the gas. If it doesn't light off then there is no gas. First check your gas supply. Does the stove top burners light? All burners on at the same time? Nice blue flame? If not go to the LP tanks. Is the tank empty? Is the changeover valve pointed to a tank with gas in it?

JRTJH
02-28-2020, 10:40 AM
This morning after showers, my In-Command app gave me the alert to check the water heater. It showed off on the panel so I turned it on. The alert came back up. I went out to the water heater and checked connections, etc. I can here it clicking when I select gas or electric to turn it on. But don't hear it otherwise. Plus no hot water now. Any ideas of what to start looking for, check, etc?

It should only be "clicking" when you select GAS. There is no "clicking" when the water heater is switched to ELECTRIC. If you're hearing "clicking" with both gas and electric, I'd suspect a control board relay failure, which is not a common occurrence.

My guess is, if it's clicking, you're out of gas or the igniter in the tube has carboned up and needs to be cleaned. That's easy to do. Turn the water heater off, get on your knees with a flash light, peer into the bottom of the burner tube, you'll see the igniter. Use an old tooth brush/nylon bristle brush and "GENTLY" brush away the carbon/spider webs/goop..... Then try again. But check for gas first, if you're out of propane, it simply won't work.