PDA

View Full Version : Best campside cooking

Bbouch84
02-23-2020, 06:44 PM
I love to cook and am looking for all sorts of new camp side camp fire recipes so lets share them...

chuckster57
02-23-2020, 07:03 PM
In my younger days we would make a hamburger patty, put in in aluminum foil with sliced potatoes and carrots. Salt and pepper, fold it up and set it next to the coals.

Bbouch84
02-23-2020, 07:11 PM
So we in our old camper didnt have an oven. And we would roll the canned biscuits twisted on a hot dog skewer over a fire and make some sausage gravy inside for camper fire biscuits and gravy

Logan X
02-23-2020, 07:43 PM
In my younger days we would make a hamburger patty, put in in aluminum foil with sliced potatoes and carrots. Salt and pepper, fold it up and set it next to the coals.

This is also my campfire recipe. We call them hobo pockets. I think we heard about this from “Long Long Honeymoon” on YouTube.

Old Mustanger
02-23-2020, 08:13 PM
This is also my campfire recipe. We call them hobo pockets. I think we heard about this from “Long Long Honeymoon” on YouTube.

Learned this one in Boy Scouts::facepalm:

roadglide
02-23-2020, 08:48 PM
Cook here everything is tenderized session frozen ready to cook on the Webber on alumiumn foil . I have gator I'm thinking about blackened on the Webber . I like my cooking and have never poisened myself, If you don't have a gas grill might look into a small 1000 Webber.

CrazyCain
02-24-2020, 05:15 AM
:popcorn: Everything that is cooked camp side fire is good food, IMHO!! :):campfire::campfire::party::party:

flybouy
02-24-2020, 07:11 AM

I remember my father doing this with hot dogs and potatoes & onions. Thing is, the heat source was the exhaust manifold on a 1959 Ford Galaxy.:)

travelin texans
02-24-2020, 08:45 AM
:popcorn: Everything that is cooked camp side fire is good food, IMHO!! :):campfire::campfire::party::party:

Can't even remember the last place we stayed that allowed an open fire at your campsite. So all my outdoor cooking has been done on a Weber Q1000, which is a great little grill by the way.
We also did what we called "Hobo dinners" on the campfire since I was a young'un & that's been a while.

sourdough
02-24-2020, 08:54 AM
If you like to fish the "hobo" dinner works well with trout or other fish. Same concept; rub the fish with oil so it won't stick, put a slice of onion and seasonings on the fish and wrap in tinfoil. For a side I like to slice zucchini and yellow squash with onion and spices, wrap them and place them in the coals with the fish. If you can't have a fire it works on a grill as well. Also like to cook potatoes and onions the same way. As Danny pointed out, very few RV parks allow open fires any more.

flybouy
02-24-2020, 09:59 AM
The "no campfire" cg's must be in TX or west. East coast isn't that way. Most CG's state no out of state firewood due to some pest issues but don't know of any that really enforce it.

CrazyCain
02-24-2020, 01:38 PM
Can't even remember the last place we stayed that allowed an open fire at your campsite. So all my outdoor cooking has been done on a Weber Q1000, which is a great little grill by the way.
We also did what we called "Hobo dinners" on the campfire since I was a young'un & that's been a while.

Yikes, i don't think i have ever been to a CG that does not allow Campfires. The only time we couldn't have one was when the wild fire hazard was way up one time in Northern Mi and no open burning was allowed. Hobo pies/dinners are a staple with our camping group..

sourdough
02-24-2020, 03:50 PM
The "no campfire" cg's must be in TX or west. East coast isn't that way. Most CG's state no out of state firewood due to some pest issues but don't know of any that really enforce it.

Maybe the issue is the type of campground? State parks, COE many times allow fires, most places we stay are commercial campgrounds/RV parks and fires are generally discouraged-prohibited. A few have some fire rings but I've had that conversation before when the sites are small and the fire ring sits outside my door filling the RV with unwanted smoke. Seems some are moving more to a "centralized" fire pit for the tenants.

KSH
02-25-2020, 07:35 AM
Amazing peach cobbler25307

notanlines
02-25-2020, 09:02 AM
Every campground we have been in in Minnesota Wisconsin and Michigan has allowed campfires. Mostly families coming for weekends and it is simply part of the experience.

Northofu1
02-25-2020, 09:16 AM

Ummmm this recipe is missing bourbon:whistling:

Northofu1
02-25-2020, 09:21 AM
I love campfires, smoke and all. I won't book a site without a fire ring.
Iike to cook over the fire/coals.

flybouy
02-25-2020, 10:23 AM
Maybe the issue is the type of campground? State parks, COE many times allow fires, most places we stay are commercial campgrounds/RV parks and fires are generally discouraged-prohibited. A few have some fire rings but I've had that conversation before when the sites are small and the fire ring sits outside my door filling the RV with unwanted smoke. Seems some are moving more to a "centralized" fire pit for the tenants.

We go to primarily private CGs. Every one has had a fire ring and only one year in PA all outdoor fires were banned due to drought conditions maybe 20 years ago. Any CG that's too tight for a fire ring is off my list to stay at.

jmatteis
03-01-2020, 09:55 AM
What cookbook is that?

One of our daughters favourites that she learned at summer camp is Pizza Pie Irons... simple... Buttered bread in the pie iron with cheese, pizza sauce, and pepperoni, into the coals for a few minutes and out comes a perfectly sealed pizza pocket with stringy melted cheese...

Then of course Spider dogs for a quick snack.

When I was a Scout, it wasn't really campside cooking, but peanut butter smeared on a slice of bologna and rolled, simple and quick, lol.

Other than that, most of our meals are prepared on the Webber Q1200, but we mostly have done cabin camping, and now just having bought a TT in the fall, we will be able to bring more in the fridge and freezer and have better meals.

christiaanvandenberg
03-02-2020, 05:08 AM
Bye yourself a old school dutch oven. Season it properly and look after it when it comes to washing it. Avoid soap and scalding hot water or you will have to re-season. You can also choose to buy a ceramic coated one that will be easier to use.

Suddenly the campfire menus open up to new dishes such as bread baked in the dutch oven on the hot fire embers, pot roasts of all kinds, bacon, sausage and eggs for breakfast. :D

CV
GMC Sierra 1500 with full tow package, cold air filter and extra transmission cooler.
Bullet 248RKS

KSH
03-02-2020, 06:39 AM
Came with my lodge Dutch oven

notanlines
11-16-2020, 11:32 AM
We had ribeye's last night and our host served this with another salad and baked potato. It was very good, and certainly easy to make.
Hot Corn Chip/Corn salad

Everyone's favorite dish on the buffet table, this simple corn salad
is perfect with everything. Barbeque, baked ham, sandwiches, anything
is complemented by this delicious side. Print out the recipe in
advance because you're going to get a lot of requests.
Prep:
15 mins
Additional:
1 hr
Total:
1 hr 15 mins
Servings: 4
Yield: 6 servings

Spicy Corn Salad

1 (15 oz) can sweet corn (Mexicorn if you like), drained
2 green onions, chopped
⅓ medium red bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced (Serrano if you like really spicy)
˝ cup shredded Cheddar cheese, or more to taste
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon bacon bits (Optional)
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon sour cream
˝ teaspoon garlic powder (Optional)
salt and ground black pepper to taste
8 ounces Flamin Hot flavored corn chips (such as Fritos®)

Directions
Instructions Checklist
Step 1
Place corn, green onions, red bell pepper, serrano pepper,
Cheddar cheese, cilantro, bacon bits, mayonnaise, sour
cream, garlic powder, salt, and pepper into a
medium-sized bowl. Stir well.
Step 2
Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, at least
1 hour. Stir in corn chips just before serving, or
they will lose their crispness.

dutchmensport
11-16-2020, 01:33 PM
https://i.imgur.com/KMOwavz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LKGcDWw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TZMKY2A.jpg

flybouy
11-16-2020, 01:42 PM
:)Mustard, chile, cheese, and onions on my dogs please.