PDA

View Full Version : New tow rig

RCrawler
10-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Just brought home our new '11.5 Ram 3500 6.7 HO Laramie. All I did was go for a test drive to check out the upgraded engine and transmission, not even serious about buying. Started talking numbers and what my Mega was still worth... It was hard to resist. Signed the papers a week ago and had to remove all of the goodies from the old truck before we swapped. Loved the space of the Mega, but wanted a long bed.

Can't wait to hook up to the trailer next spring and see how the new engine pulls.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_21155_0_71e31a4a4583eda9cd3388921b4d74c2.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_21155_1_bcd9e8492d516db6f69805e37252e77a.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_21155_2_7824a00c75f1756b1a57770403cbd25a.jpg

Jason

hankpage
10-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Good luck. Enjoy the new TV. Sneaky way to get yourself in the picture. :rolleyes: You will like the long bed, Hank

Movin' on
10-10-2011, 02:18 AM
Nice lookin' truck :thumbsup:. Enjoy!

LeeMedic
10-10-2011, 03:14 AM
Good luck. Enjoy the new TV. Sneaky way to get yourself in the picture. :rolleyes: You will like the long bed, Hank

I was thinking the same thing.:D

jq1031
10-10-2011, 05:49 AM
Enjoy, nice looking truck!

Jim W
10-10-2011, 05:56 AM
Nice looking truck. Now the biggest problem for you is trying not to add to many attachments to it. Such as gages, Mag-Hytec covers, Amp Research Steps both along the side of the truck and at the left rear corner of the bumper.
Good luck and enjoy.
Jim W.
P.S. That is one of the reasons I do not go to the dealer for service.

cumminsdad08
10-10-2011, 09:55 AM
very sweet ride. i have thought about getting one of the new ones, but i don't want to start my payments over again. i haven't "owned" a vehical since high school. good luck, and i am sure you will love it.

RCrawler
10-10-2011, 07:44 PM

Good thing the camera was covering me. No one should have to see my ugly mug :)

Jason

RCrawler
10-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Nice looking truck. Now the biggest problem for you is trying not to add to many attachments to it. Such as gages, Mag-Hytec covers, Amp Research Steps both along the side of the truck and at the left rear corner of the bumper.
Good luck and enjoy.
Jim W.
P.S. That is one of the reasons I do not go to the dealer for service.

Already shopping. Christmas is coming early for me this year. Steps, seat covers, floor mats, bedliner. Using all of the parts from the old truck where I can.

Yeah, my wife has banished me from even driving by a car lot for a while.

Jason

game warden
10-11-2011, 02:52 PM
i know you will love the increase in power. Not to sound like a know it all but if i may offer one piece of advise to you ......ONLY USE MOPAR DEF!

hankpage
10-11-2011, 03:13 PM
i know you will love the increase in power. Not to sound like a know it all but if i may offer one piece of advise to you ......ONLY USE MOPAR DEF!

I thought Cummins didn't use DEF ?? :confused: except for cab/chassis

RCrawler
10-11-2011, 07:47 PM
I thought Cummins didn't use DEF ?? :confused: except for cab/chassis

You are correct.

Jason

08ramguy
11-01-2011, 06:34 AM
I want to know how much of a difference you feel with that new HO....I have a 2008 mega that I love, but was thinking about getting a new truck......

justduit2
11-01-2011, 03:04 PM
That is one sweet truck, congratulations!!! :thumbsup:

RCrawler
11-01-2011, 05:58 PM
I want to know how much of a difference you feel with that new HO....I have a 2008 mega that I love, but was thinking about getting a new truck......

There isn't that much difference between the 2 as far as power goes. The HO does seem to pull a little harder down low, but it's not a big change. The thing that I have noticed is the transmission shifts feel a little more like they should. A little more solid and at the right time. It will be spring before I can hook to my trailer and compare to what everyone has been telling me about the HO. The biggest issue would probably be mileage. In town mileage has the lie o meter at about 11.5, which is about 2 mpg lower than what my other truck was getting. Typical mileage for the '10 and up is about 12 city and 15-16 hwy. I have yet to hand calculate, but I'm going on a trip this weekend and will report my mileage. I just ordered the rest of the delete parts so I'm hoping for a good mileage increase when I get it installed.

Coming from a 3rd gen to a 4th gen Dodge, the new trucks are much more solid feeling and better built. The interior is 100% more comfortable and the controls seem to be better quality. Overall, it is a much nicer vehicle.

Downside is that is it still a Dodge with the typical front end and suspension issues that have plagued them for years. At least with the 4wd's.

Loved our Mega Cab, but the long bed just fit our needs better.

Jason

RCrawler
11-01-2011, 06:00 PM
That is one sweet truck, congratulations!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks!!! :thumbsup:

webslave
11-02-2011, 08:01 AM
I was told, when I bought my RAM with the HO Cummins, that the engine doesn't immediately produce the 800 ft lbs of torque...it requires 5 to 7.5k miles to break the engine and transmission in before it "pours on the torque". I don't remember, at what mileage it was, but, I did, in fact notice a change in its pulling ability. We were out west in the rockies this past summer and one day it pulled adequately and then the next day it was like I had a different truck when pulling up a grade. Also found it much easier to "chirp" the tires when not towing (a bit embarrassing at my age :o). Now, that was anecdotal information from the dealer, and I don't know whether that was true observation or just a "mental expectation".

That was towing a ~6k hitch mount trailer...I just got my 5th wheel (closer to 10K) two weeks ago and don't have any towing comparison with it, but, towing the 5th home was a piece of cake (tow wise). I've been very pleased thus far with my RAM.

RCrawler
11-06-2011, 09:25 PM
I have heard similar stories from others about the 7K mile change. My '08 had a power and mileage increase about the 10K mile mark.

Just got home from a 500 mile trip. Hand calculated mileage was about 15.5, mostly highway. But at least an hour and a half idling in bumper to bumper traffic. Not horrible, but not great.

Jason