PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Water Filler

crowbar
02-22-2020, 10:59 AM
My last trailer was an Okanagan 5er and the water filler was a cup shaped device that pulled out of the side of the trailer. Now I have a Springdale TT and the water filler is simply a hole in the trailer wall. When dry camping, it's miserable trying to pour water into the trailer out of a jug. I'm sure I've seen somewhere, a funnel that has a curved spout on it but do you think I can find one? NOT. Anybody have any suggestions on dealing with this? There must be others that dry camp and have the same issue. :confused:

FlyingAroundRV
02-22-2020, 12:30 PM
I'm guessing that what you describe as a "hole in the side of the trailer" is actually a hose fitting there. If not, I'd suggest that they haven't finished building your trailer!
But if it is the hose connection that I suspect is there, you can make a simple cheap funnel for filling up when dry camping from a plastic soft drink bottle. Just cut the bottom off at a suitable angle.

flybouy
02-22-2020, 01:34 PM
My last trailer was an Okanagan 5er and the water filler was a cup shaped device that pulled out of the side of the trailer. Now I have a Springdale TT and the water filler is simply a hole in the trailer wall. When dry camping, it's miserable trying to pour water into the trailer out of a jug. I'm sure I've seen somewhere, a funnel that has a curved spout on it but do you think I can find one? NOT. Anybody have any suggestions on dealing with this? There must be others that dry camp and have the same issue. :confused:

I'm guessing you have a "gravity feed" for the fresh water tank. The end should be threaded with a cap that you remove to fill. You could go to a hardware store and buy a foot or so of clear vinyl tubing that will fit inside the fill and then buy a funnel that fits into the tubing. Would only cost a couple of bucks.

Cbrez
02-22-2020, 02:07 PM
We have a funnel with a flexible spout. Easily makes a 90 deg bend. We use it to pour a chlorine solution into the fresh water tank to sanitize the tank and lines. Bought it at an auto parts store, I don’t remember which one, but it is available.

JRTJH
02-22-2020, 02:52 PM
Tractor Supply sells a "storage container spout" with multiple size rings to fit various size containers. There is an extension for the spout that comes with it. It's really easy to install that type, but we've always just used the flexible spout that came with out water jugs that we bought at WalMart.

Here's the type that's available at TS.

Macgregor
02-22-2020, 06:20 PM
We use a plastic flexible funnel as well. It takes one person to hold it tight against the fill hole, and one pouring the jug.

Lee
02-23-2020, 05:41 AM
Hi,

As I exclusively Dry-camp, I understand your problem and here is how I handle it.

My fill location is the same as yours,... gravity feed.

I purchased a small 110v AC water pump that I power off of my 1kw Honda. I rigged up a flexible clear hose that screws onto the pump's output port and I put it into the TT's water fill hole. The other side of the pump (water input) I put a 90* Elbow and a short piece of PVC pipe. I use the 6gal blue plastic Jerry cans for water and put the PVC into 1 of the cans. Pump empties it in less than 2 min.

Take care,
Lee

crowbar
02-24-2020, 11:17 AM
Thanks for everybody's suggestions. Just looking for that one simple uncomplicated solution that I can do without the help of the boss. It's such a pain trying to stand on something while balancing a five gallon jug and trying to get it in the trailer and not all over myself. Cbrez gave me hope in post #4 that my magic funnel is out there somewhere. I may even try cutting the side out of a plastic jug, jamming the spout into the hole, and pouring into the base of the jug somehow. Got our first adventure in the works for beginning of May and just itching to get out there!

flybouy
02-24-2020, 11:55 AM
Thanks for everybody's suggestions. Just looking for that one simple uncomplicated solution that I can do without the help of the boss. It's such a pain trying to stand on something while balancing a five gallon jug and trying to get it in the trailer and not all over myself. Cbrez gave me hope in post #4 that my magic funnel is out there somewhere. I may even try cutting the side out of a plastic jug, jamming the spout into the hole, and pouring into the base of the jug somehow. Got our first adventure in the works for beginning of May and just itching to get out there!

Sounds to me like a small 12vdc or drill operated pump would be the easiest solution.

Grace
02-24-2020, 01:45 PM
Work perfectly! https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Desert-Patrol-6-Gal-Water-Jug/16537207