PDA

View Full Version : Maxxis/Endurance/Carlisle/Sailun

sourdough
02-19-2020, 05:27 PM
OK, OK...I know this has been beaten to death ad infinitum but maybe a little twist.

I am buying a new HC. It comes equipped with Ranier 235/80 16 LRF. I don't want Raniers or LRF. I am going to have the OEM tires pulled but a thought has been bugging me. I tried upgrading to Maxxis on the current trailer only to find that no one in my part of the country carries them in stock....they are "special order" so went with the Carlisle HD which seemed to be available nearly everywhere.

Going to the larger tire seems the availability of various brands is even more restricted. Looks like 1 dealer in W TX where I go has the Sailun. DT has Carlisle. My question is for those that run that size of tire....what seems more available around the country as you travel? I'm thinking I'll get Sailun but figure that might be a no go in the event of a problem. I'm thinking Carlisle will be more available but in that size maybe not. I'm not a fan of buying "something else" to get by in the event of a failure but can. Just would like to be able to replace what I have with what I have. Any thoughts or experiences?

Roscommon48
02-19-2020, 07:16 PM
for the most part the montana owners have figured out to go with the good year g614 or saliun. if either one works I'd go with either of these. good luck

tech740
02-19-2020, 07:30 PM
I have been looking at Carlisle CSL16. They are a short wait at most Wal-Marts. Not that i like that store but they are everyplace. I think when you get outside the 10 ply tires you will have a hard time finding them until more of the industry goes to these. The 12 and 14 ply tires seem to have become more popular with the revised safety factors in the last year or so. Hopefully in the next 3 to 5 years as people are starting to replace them they will be easier to find in stock.

sourdough
02-19-2020, 07:32 PM
Thanks. Having had one disintegrate on the road I am hoping to pick what would be considered a "superior" brand with availability on the road. That may or may not be a possibility but was hoping to minimize on road aggravation/hunting for a replacement tire. I know DT carries Carlisle, or can get them, quickly. Sailun and Endurance are not so available from what I see. Just putting out a feeler for any thoughts on availability vs what's the "best" as one sees it. I will order the replacements and can/will replace failures with "whatever" but would prefer having the greater availability....if that is a possibility.

CWtheMan
02-20-2020, 08:38 AM
OK, OK...I know this has been beaten to death ad infinitum but maybe a little twist.

I am buying a new HC. It comes equipped with Ranier 235/80 16 LRF. I don't want Raniers or LRF. I am going to have the OEM tires pulled but a thought has been bugging me. I tried upgrading to Maxxis on the current trailer only to find that no one in my part of the country carries them in stock....they are "special order" so went with the Carlisle HD which seemed to be available nearly everywhere.

Going to the larger tire seems the availability of various brands is even more restricted. Looks like 1 dealer in W TX where I go has the Sailun. DT has Carlisle. My question is for those that run that size of tire....what seems more available around the country as you travel? I'm thinking I'll get Sailun but figure that might be a no go in the event of a problem. I'm thinking Carlisle will be more available but in that size maybe not. I'm not a fan of buying "something else" to get by in the event of a failure but can. Just would like to be able to replace what I have with what I have. Any thoughts or experiences?

To go from a LRF to a LRG in that designated size (ST235/80R16) you're going to find, almost exclusively, steel cased tires. In the name brands you mentioned the new Carlisle CSL will most likely be the easiest one to find at places that retail them. Other brands like Sailun are mostly found in the mail order system. Maxis, another brand you named does not yet build a LRG RV trailer tire.

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/our-products/product-detail/csl16/

sourdough
02-20-2020, 09:22 AM
To go from a LRF to a LRG in that designated size (ST235/80R16) you're going to find, almost exclusively, steel cased tires. In the name brands you mentioned the new Carlisle CSL will most likely be the easiest one to find at places that retail them. Other brands like Sailun are mostly found in the mail order system. Maxis, another brand you named does not yet build a LRG RV trailer tire.

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/our-products/product-detail/csl16/

Thanks, I think you're probably right. Although a dealer close to us has the Sailun "available overnight" I doubt that will be the case everywhere. I've not researched the Maxxis (order in 3-5 days) or GY Endurance enough to know what's out there because no one has them on hand in my part of the country. The Carlisle tires are in stock and I see the advertisements for them on tire shops everywhere I go so I'm thinking that may be the route to go as I've had very good luck with the ones I currently have.

ChuckS
02-20-2020, 09:30 AM
I’d be putting on a set of Sailun S637 tires and nit be worried about availability in the area... the tire if maintained properly and towed and reasonable speeds will be on the road for many years.

I currently run a set of Geo Star 235x85/16 G rated because that’s what local Les Schwab had. Starting my 5th season and I’ll replace with Sailun when the time comes because it’s less expensive.. Les Schwab will mount and balance at reasonable cost

Fishsizzle
02-21-2020, 07:58 PM
I’d be putting on a set of Sailun S637 tires and nit be worried about availability in the area... the tire if maintained properly and towed and reasonable speeds will be on the road for many years.

I currently run a set of Geo Star 235x85/16 G rated because that’s what local Les Schwab had. Starting my 5th season and I’ll replace with Sailun when the time comes because it’s less expensive.. Les Schwab will mount and balance at reasonable cost

I’ve started to buy tires off eBay and take them to a small local tire store. Les Schwabs has fallen off and now up for sale.

I know the Schwab guys too well having worked there years ago and got tired of being worked over on price and taking “non” Schwab tires in for mounting. Last trailer I bought Maxxis off eBay and saved almost $300 from what Schwabs wanted for the same tires. Ok sorry but I’m sorry their “sales and service” just are not there anymore.

It’s been hard. I feel like I’m cheating on an old friend having bought from them for almost 30 years.

Vet4jdc
02-22-2020, 02:52 AM
Sourdough, I had the exact same problem when our MHC came with Rainier tires. I knew I didn't want those after having a blowout several years ago so I ditched them and purchased 5 new Sailuns. Yes....get the spare too and then no worries if you have a failure.

Once I saw and felt the weight difference between Endurance, Rainier, Carlisle, etc and the Sailun....I knew I made a good choice.

Just my 2 cents.

btw....when I say "ditched"...I actually sold the Rainiers on craigslist to a guy with a utility trailer with 16" rims.

gearhead
02-22-2020, 06:39 AM
My memory isn't what it used to be, but it seems I got some "push back" from DT about Carlisle tires. I know I bought at least 1 set from them. At one time I had them on the HC, 2 utility trailers, and a 2 axle boat trailer. The ones that didn't come from DT came from WalMart. I don't remember the DT issue with Carlisle but I would contact them and double check their availability. May have been an issue with them matching the WalMart price.
Our Landmark came with Sailun and I'm happy with them.

sourdough
02-22-2020, 07:43 AM
Strangely, and this may be of some benefit to others depending on where you live, I talked to the manager of one of the local tire warehouses in Lubbock, TX yesterday. It was showing they had the Sailun tires. In visiting he told me that his store had been purchased by a tire chain I had never heard of - Mavis Tires. He also said they had SIXTY THREE of the Sailuns I wanted for the trailer. He implied they were either in Lubbock or Amarillo (2 hrs. away). I googled Mavis Tire and man, they have a lot of stores. Nothing out West it appears but they are all over the SE, E and NE including right in Tallahassee near where we stay.

Bad thing is he said they don't carry steel stems so will have to find those and take them to him I guess. Don't know if that is just his store or all their stores. So for those looking for Sailuns they might be a resource if in your area.

CaptnJohn
03-08-2020, 08:46 AM
Just get the tire with the best rep ~~~ Sailun

msubobcats
03-08-2020, 10:21 AM
Very afraid of the 15s that are on our new Mesa Ridge 5th wheel, think they are Castle Rock brand, so will be replacing fairly soon. Checked with our local walmart for Carlisles and was told they don't carry them. But our local Discount Tire has the Goodyear and liked them the very short time I had them on our last 5th wheel..

ctbruce
03-08-2020, 10:24 AM
Walmart doesn't keep Carlisles in stock but will order them for pick up at the store. No cost on the shipping.

JRTJH
03-08-2020, 12:41 PM
Very afraid of the 15s that are on our new Mesa Ridge 5th wheel, think they are Castle Rock brand, so will be replacing fairly soon. Checked with our local walmart for Carlisles and was told they don't carry them. But our local Discount Tire has the Goodyear and liked them the very short time I had them on our last 5th wheel..

The "WalMart tire center DUDE" that you talked to wasn't really interested in helping you get what you want... (hourly employee with no motivation to increase sales) ???

Anyway, go to this link, you can order Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires from the WalMart. Around here, nobody can beat the WalMart pricing. https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/55012166

ncstan
03-08-2020, 02:21 PM
Just ordered 4 Sailun tires and got here in two days from SimpleTire on Ebay. Amazon has Sailun also with Prime shipping.

PKraus29
03-08-2020, 03:29 PM
I ran my stock G rated tires for 3 years, no issues when I replaced them I went with Master track, again G-rated. I have used these on my boat trailer for years and never had an issue. They have been on my Raptor now for a year no issue. I highly recommend upgrading to a G rated Tire if you can. Many guys out here in the west do like the Sailuns which are available through Walmart. The problem I had was Walmart would not install them.

My local tire shop would not carry Carlisle's as to their reputation

River Duck
03-08-2020, 04:39 PM
Walmart doesn't keep Carlisles in stock but will order them for pick up at the store. No cost on the shipping.

This is how I bought mine one year ago. They also mounted and balanced them at no cost

Cougar Jim
04-04-2020, 01:04 PM
Perhaps someone can answer this -----I was told that Goodyear Endurance trailer tires are also made in China. Is that true?

TIA

sourdough
04-04-2020, 01:54 PM
Perhaps someone can answer this -----I was told that Goodyear Endurance trailer tires are also made in China. Is that true?

TIA

This is a little dated but from Goodyear:

https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US/media/news/goodyear_launches_american_manufactured_trailer_ti re.html

I do believe I've heard in the recent past something about them having moved production, or some of it, to China but have read nothing definitive to prove that.

gearhead
04-04-2020, 02:49 PM
I "think" the Endurance is made in USA. At least some folks have said that's why they bought them. I imagine Goodyear learned an expensive lesson when they moved the Marathon tire production to China.
I bought Carlisles from WalMart.com and they were delivered to my local store, mounted for free and balanced with no issue.

Keystoned
04-05-2020, 01:18 PM
I just looked at my sidewall, yes, GY Endurance are made in the USofA!

GilaElkHunter
04-16-2020, 03:54 PM
Can the alloy wheels on the Montana High Country handle the pressure (110 psi) for the Sailuns?

sourdough
04-16-2020, 04:13 PM
Can the alloy wheels on the Montana High Country handle the pressure (110 psi) for the Sailuns?

The ones on my 2020 HC 331RL are but you would need to check your specific wheels.

Frank G
04-16-2020, 04:49 PM
So, after reading through this thread I went to Mavis Tire to look at there selection of ST235/80R16 tires, and magic, they were all speed rated as (R) 106 mph with two of them carrying a (Y) 186 mph rating including the Carlisle Radial Trailer. I'm impressed, but I don't think the Ram is up to it. :D

This was the New Port Richey, FL store website.

GilaElkHunter
04-16-2020, 05:20 PM
I found my answer on etrailer, they say Since wheels will be able to withstand the psi rating of any of the tires that are meant to fit it you will need to look at the valve stem as that is the deciding factor. For 110 psi tire pressure you would need all steel valve stems.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-230756.html

sourdough
04-16-2020, 05:29 PM
I found my answer on etrailer, they say Since wheels will be able to withstand the psi rating of any of the tires that are meant to fit it you will need to look at the valve stem as that is the deciding factor. For 110 psi tire pressure you would need all steel valve stems.

That may be true BUT I would actually verify that by looking at the back of one of the wheels. You're kind of in the "outback" there in Silver City and you don't want a wheel (or 2) self destructing while you're traversing the "hinterlands". :D BTW, love the place and will never forget our little family scouting trip out of Silver City to Mogollon about 50 years ago. Extremely interesting.

JRTJH
04-16-2020, 06:03 PM
So, after reading through this thread I went to Mavis Tire to look at there selection of ST235/80R16 tires, and magic, they were all speed rated as (R) 106 mph with two of them carrying a (Y) 186 mph rating including the Carlisle Radial Trailer. I'm impressed, but I don't think the Ram is up to it. :D

Frank,

You might want to verify those speed ratings. I don't know of any ST tire that's rated 186MPH and if I remember correctly, none that are rated over either 87 or 91 MPH. I know that Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires are all rated 81MPH except for the three 16" tires which are rated at 75MPH. https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/our-products/product-detail/radial-trail-hd/

gearhead
04-16-2020, 07:12 PM
As good as eTrailer is they can't seem to get straight on upgrading tires. If your ALLOY wheels are 6 lug I don't think they are rated for a tire over 80psi. eTrailer was referring to steel wheels in that link. I tried every which way to go to higher pressure tires when I had a HC with 6 lug wheels. I called the wheel manufacturer, Tredit I think, and talked to an engineer. She said the wheels would crack around the center.
Take the wheel off and look on the backside. You might have to do some interpreting to get the rating. It may say like: 8H3800 or 6H3240. 8H being a 8 hole wheel and a 3800 pound WEIGHT rating. (I'm pulling numbers out of the air) So you will need to see what load rating tire is 3800 pound weight rating. Or, it could just say 80psi or 110 psi etc.

CWtheMan
04-16-2020, 08:29 PM

NHTSA authorizes two ways for tire speed ratings to be displayed on your tires. The most popular is to find the tires load index; such as, 129/125 L and convert the speed letter "L" to it's rating, 75 MPH. A lot of ST tires have the speed rating written out on the sidewall. ST tires without an sidewall speed markings default to the TRA recommended 65 MPH.

26558 26559

For some reason I've never found the answer to, there is no speed letter for 65 MPH.

flybouy
04-17-2020, 03:58 AM
Interpretation, need to research and confirm the tire ratings for speed. Misinterpretation ... best example I'm aware of is this sign. Many folks think it's the minimum speed for the interstate.:hide:

Keystoned
04-17-2020, 06:02 AM
We always enjoy the Gila area and Silver City's Little Toad Creek has great craft beer, particularly 'Pendejo Porter', look up the Spanish meaning...lol. We wanted to stop by recently but had to come home early instead, thank you CV19.

Frank G
04-17-2020, 09:32 AM
How stupid could I be thinking those were real speed ratings. :D Thank you all.

GilaElkHunter
04-17-2020, 06:26 PM
I am going to crawl under there tomorrow with a flashlight and see if I can find anything on the back side of the wheel, then I'll know for sure.

CWtheMan
04-17-2020, 08:07 PM
I am going to crawl under there tomorrow with a flashlight and see if I can find anything on the back side of the wheel, then I'll know for sure.

There is no regulation that requires wheel manufacturers to mold each tire with its individual specifications.

OEM wheel providers may request the wheel manufacturer to mold some specifications into the wheel. Sometimes that is twofold according to the wheel's number of lug mounting holes.

A standard answer form an OEM provider or trailer manufacturer is the wheel meets the requirement for the tires provide as Original Equipment.

Somewhere in the chain there is a letter of individual wheel specifications authenticity from ASE, they are tasked with certifying all our wheels. Finding out who has that letter is the key in finding individual specifications. The wheel manufacturer will have the original.