PDA

View Full Version : Daytona 500

66joej
02-17-2020, 05:34 PM
Prayers for Ryan Newman and family after that horrific last lap accident.

rhagfo
02-17-2020, 06:23 PM
Very bad impact on drivers side, praying for speedy recovery from any injuries!

rhagfo
02-17-2020, 07:36 PM
Latest up date on Ryan Newman is serious condition, but not life threatening. Prayers to him and his family!

Brantlyj
02-17-2020, 08:47 PM
Can’t recall any NASCAR crash were you could literally see the entire car bend in a U shape

flybouy
02-17-2020, 08:52 PM
Can’t recall any NASCAR crash were you could literally see the entire car bend in a U shape

The "bending" is most likely what saved him. Absorbing the impact for the first few milliseconds makes a huge difference.

Brantlyj
02-17-2020, 09:01 PM
The "bending" is most likely what saved him. Absorbing the impact for the first few milliseconds makes a huge difference.

Agreed, but those cages are pretty damn stout. The forces needed to bend the drivers side have to be huge.

I’ll predict now that they will start putting flaps on the bottom of the cars. Kind of ironic that Newman is the most vocal about airborne cars at the super speedways and now he has had the most horrific.

notanlines
02-18-2020, 01:57 AM
I watched the race with a fairly large group at the Elks Club in Clewiston and every single person in attendance felt that NASCAR handled the crash situation and lack of update very, very poorly. D and I felt a huge amount of relief when Rouch-Fenway finally made a statement that he actually was alive and had non-life threatening injuries.

flybouy
02-18-2020, 04:19 AM
Time will tell what his condition is. "Non-Life Threatening" is not "Non Life Altering". Can't imagine he didn't suffer some major injuries.

When I was 22 yrs old I was a victim in a low speed crash while deer hunting in WV. A truck struck the passenger door where I was seated and drove the car sideways up a 6% grade about 50'. I ended up with 3 crushed vertebrae (L1,2,&3), my right pelvis was broken into 3 pieces, and my kidneys were bruised and bleeding. That impact was estimated at 35-40 m.p.h. I know the drivers are "cocooned" in a cage but damned, 180+ m.p.h.? I can't even imagine. I pray for his recovery.

gearhead
02-18-2020, 04:46 AM
Prayers for his recovery.
He has an engineering degree from Purdue, maybe he can give some input to NASCAR regarding structure of the new car design.
Great journeyman driver. Came up through the USAC open wheel ranks. Just saw him racing at the Chili Bowl Midget Nationals.

+Ruff Rider
02-18-2020, 05:51 AM
Ryan Newman is one of the good guys. Everyone likes him in the garage. He is respected on the track as well.
Hoping Newman has a speedy recovery and can return to racing.

rhagfo
02-18-2020, 01:17 PM
Latest report I have seen is the Ryan is awake and speaking to doctors and family.
Get well soon Ryan.

rhagfo
02-19-2020, 12:58 PM
Best news yet!
https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2020/02/19/ryan-newman-treated-released-from-hospital/

66joej
02-19-2020, 02:01 PM
Best news yet!
https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2020/02/19/ryan-newman-treated-released-from-hospital/

Yes Russ hard to believe that's the same guy in the godawful crash 2 days ago!
Testament to the safety measures NASCAR has implemented since Dale senior's crash.

Dave W
02-19-2020, 02:36 PM
Dang but he is TOUGH! When I watched the race, all I could think of is that after 20 years another has gone.

If you watched the video, he is walking like he is sore all over, especially the left side. Don't think he'll make the next race (Las Vegas)

+Ruff Rider
02-19-2020, 08:22 PM
I am so glad Ryan is out of the hospital. I bet he has bruises all over his body. They kept him in the hospital to make sure he didn't have any internal bleeding. His wife may have a say if he ever gets in a race car again.

Dave W
02-20-2020, 04:20 AM
I am so glad Ryan is out of the hospital. I bet he has bruises all over his body. They kept him in the hospital to make sure he didn't have any internal bleeding. His wife may have a say if he ever gets in a race car again.

Probably right about the bruises - but probably not the wife since she is now history - which makes me wonder if he have custody of the kids since they were at the race and hospital

flybouy
02-20-2020, 05:37 AM
Yes Russ hard to believe that's the same guy in the godawful crash 2 days ago!
Testament to the safety measures NASCAR has implemented since Dale senior's crash.

I'm no expert on crashes but from my understanding it's like jumping out a window, it's the sudden stop that kills you. Brain hemorrhages, torn aorta, ruptured spleen, etc. are often fatal. Yes NASCAR has implemented many safety features as they learn from each tragedy.

But also I think there was a huge difference in the two incidence. I think Dale Sr's crash he hit the wall at high speed and stopped. Watching the Russ crash it appeared that when he hit the wall the car was sliding down the wall and when he was hit broadside and went airborne the car was still moving. Watching the violence of those impacts and seeing him "walk out of the hospital" 2 days later is amazing.