PDA

View Full Version : Weight Police Academy

LHaven
02-17-2020, 01:46 PM
In today's email, I got a notification for a new article discussing the capability differences between the 2020 F-250 and F-350 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/ford-2020-f-250-vs-f-350-what-makes-them-different/?utm_source=2020217&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=content). Something that people contemplating a new tow vehicle might find useful.

Fishsizzle
02-22-2020, 07:15 AM
While the 250/350 debate is insane, just get the 350 already.

The whole tax thing must come into play for some...

On Ford.com when you build a truck, you can “de-rate” your truck. You click on the package and there is no suspension, frame change. Some weaker tires on some. You get a smaller gvwr on your door sticker

mtofell
02-26-2020, 07:59 AM
The whole tax thing must come into play for some...

I've heard HOA rules can also draw the line between 250 and 350. At that point I'd probably just get some 250 emblems to appease them but it's possible some folks factor that in when purchasing.

JRTJH
02-26-2020, 10:44 AM
I've heard HOA rules can also draw the line between 250 and 350. At that point I'd probably just get some 250 emblems to appease them but it's possible some folks factor that in when purchasing.

If I had to "fight a HOA" with the "No 1 ton trucks allowed to be parked on the property" I'd also be inclined to order a F350 and a "pair of F250 emblems" rather than a "de-rated truck". With the "driver's door locked" the "HOA snoops" wouldn't be able to confirm the 3/4-1 ton issue and I'd still have a "full capacity truck"...

License/registration, on the other hand, isn't as simple to "fool with fender badges"....

Beast2017
12-30-2020, 07:45 PM

HOA rules suck! Some friends of ours has a sign when you turn into their subdivision that says “ no trucks over 3 tons”. As I drive my F350 diesel through the neighborhood and park next to his F350 Dually. Hahaha. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

CrazyCain
12-31-2020, 05:53 AM
Never heard of this about HOA's... How stupid!!!:nonono:

chuckster57
12-31-2020, 06:05 AM
HOA’s are not uncommon out here. When we bought our house an 2000 it was one of my stipulations that we didn’t buy in a neighborhood with one.

CedarCreekWoody
12-31-2020, 06:09 AM
HOA rules suck! Some friends of ours has a sign when you turn into their subdivision that says “ no trucks over 3 tons”. As I drive my F350 diesel through the neighborhood and park next to his F350 Dually. Hahaha. ��������

A F350 is considered a one ton truck. Carrying capacity, not weight. The question is which is the sign referring to?

Beast2017
12-31-2020, 06:24 AM
A F350 is considered a one ton truck. Carrying capacity, not weight. The question is which is the sign referring to?

I think with those signs refer to the GVWR but I could be wrong. My truck does weigh 8300 pounds with full fluids - wife, me, and 2 dogs.

flybouy
12-31-2020, 06:55 AM
HOA rules suck! Some friends of ours has a sign when you turn into their subdivision that says “ no trucks over 3 tons”. As I drive my F350 diesel through the neighborhood and park next to his F350 Dually. Hahaha. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

If that sign was posted by the HOA then how do they enforce it? The street/road would have to be private (I.e. not a county, state, or municipality owned maintained). With such a low limit how does a resident move in? A moving company truck would exceed that limit as would most appliance delivery trucks, roll back tow trucks, ambulances and obviously fire trucks.

Something doesn't sound right about this.:ermm:

xrated
12-31-2020, 07:19 AM
There are some things in this world that I am somewhat indecisive about....or even things that I change my mind as I grow older and hopefully wiser. NEVER living in a home that is within a HOA is something that I will never change my mind about.

Ken / Claudia
12-31-2020, 07:58 AM
We moved into a HOA community in ID past July. Here they all have them to collect the unlimited water use for irrigation use. My subdivision collects 240 a year for that unlimited unmetered water use and park maintenance.
Streets are city owned not private.
HOA rules are all trailers must be stored/parked behind the property fence line. No owner vehicles left parked on streets. Visitors OK to park on street. We must keep yard mowed. Fencing must be same as when homes were build. Out buildings added must be approved through city laws.
Not many rules we need to follow. ATVs, golf carts and snow machines are allowed to be driven on city streets.
The rest of the rules were for the builders to follow. So here the HOA rules are fine for us to obey. I have read some that I would never live in due to way too much HOA power/rules.
My advice read every HOA rule before you buy.
I did buy a home in a private community of 15 homes. Lived there several years. No HOA rules. Only problem I did not like was sewer system was 4 blocks long to get to the public property road. It was on home owners to maintain and repair as were the road inside the area. Getting all home owners to pay for road repairs was difficult.

sourdough
12-31-2020, 08:00 AM
There are some things in this world that I am somewhat indecisive about....or even things that I change my mind as I grow older and hopefully wiser. NEVER living in a home that is within a HOA is something that I will never change my mind about.

^^^^^Yessirree Bob! Having watched the lunacy my little brother and son have gone through with HOAs that is one thing I can promise you I will never do...just soon live in a box. (Sort of).:D Happy New Year's Eve!!

travelin texans
12-31-2020, 08:09 AM
I doubt seriously that ANY HOA board members, not to mention some of the tow vehicle owners, could tell you what any given vehicle would weigh or be rated at without the paperwork or know where to look on the truck & then most wouldn't know what they're looking at.
I totally agree, NO HOAs for us! Nor any CO-OP parks, been in one if those that was worse than any HOA!

JRTJH
12-31-2020, 08:53 AM
We own an empty lot in the HOA that's across the highway from our NON-HOA acreage. Last year, at the HOA general meeting, "the busy-bodies in the HOA" introduced a motion to restrict boat docks on the lake, prohibit parking boat trailers at the boat ramp and to stop all boat traffic on the lake except for 2 hours between 2 and 4 PM. In other words, to change the "lakeside community" to require no boats on the lake for 22 hours every day. There was a second, and a vote taken after discussion. The outcome was 10 yeas and 14 no's. To note, there are over 300 homes/cabins on the lake so that many "HOA members", but only 24 bothered to show up for the annual meeting....

So, depending on YOUR HOA, what might be OK today can easily be a violation of HOA rules tomorrow.... Not showing up to "protect your investment" at a meeting is just one of the ways that "lady who measures how close your trash can is to the curb and files a complaint" can manipulate your rights and privileges away while you're "literally not looking".....

HOA ????? HELL NO !!!!!

gearhead
12-31-2020, 09:01 AM
First liar ain't got a chance. My HOA forbids anything heavier than a 1/2 ton. But I think I know who wrote the rules and she was as ditzy then as now.
We have a non-HOA HOA. The rules are written and at closing you sign to comply, but no one does. No one enforces them either. The city refuses to enforce. I bet there aren't 2 of us that know who the officers are. There never has been a meeting. One of them moved away 5 years ago. The other lives across the street from me and just put a boat carport on his extra lot.
The most common violations are parking in the street and boat and RV's in the driveway. Both of which do look bad and irritate me somewhat.

notanlines
12-31-2020, 09:21 AM
Playing the devil's advocate here, how do y'all handle neighbors (obviously not
those of you who choose to live with no neighbors) with junk cars, mowing the 'grass' thrice a year, never shoveling the walk, and letting his young niece and nephew paint his house bright blue? How about when brother Eddie comes to stay with his class A for the summer?

roadglide
12-31-2020, 09:27 AM
If I had to "fight a HOA" with the "No 1 ton trucks allowed to be parked on the property" I'd also be inclined to order a F350 and a "pair of F250 emblems" rather than a "de-rated truck". With the "driver's door locked" the "HOA snoops" wouldn't be able to confirm the 3/4-1 ton issue and I'd still have a "full capacity truck"...

License/registration, on the other hand, isn't as simple to "fool with fender badges"....
I’m at HOA in Florida for a few months my Denali isn’t badged it came that way from the factory it’s under a carport thank goodness I didn’t buy a DRW .

roadglide
12-31-2020, 09:42 AM
those of you who choose to live with no neighbors) with junk cars, mowing the 'grass' thrice a year, never shoveling the walk, and letting his young niece and nephew paint his house bright blue? How about when brother Eddie comes to stay with his class A for the summer?
That’s me you mentioned but will go out back and drink fireball and smoke cigars that was the good ol days.

Ken / Claudia
12-31-2020, 10:29 AM
Everyone remember rules and laws are two different things. HOA rules cannot be enforced by police unless there written into law. If we are talking about private property and private HOA rules police cannot enforce that stuff. The HOA board does and the HOA rules will state how they enforce their rules.
That means HOA board uses civil law to enforce. Them against you in civil court or in front of a hearings officer.
In the current subdivision I have not seen or heard of anyone enforcing the rules. Clear to the point of my home's 1st owner refused to have sod installed as the builder was required to do. He had bark chips instead of grass. Nothing was ever done. We did have sod installed and removed the bark chips. Never got a gold star from the HOA board.

sourdough
12-31-2020, 11:10 AM

And therein lies the crack that HOAs seemingly fit into....for that sort of protection. I guess one would have to weigh the costs/benefits of the prospective situations.

For us we chose an area that had tight deed restrictions limiting size of house and materials it was constructed of etc. Not an HOA but enough to assure whoever built was going to put a fair sized investment into the location, and hopefully take care of it. Or, it could be like the guy right before I left that decided to pull a new pickup in with a short and what looked like FFA hog trailer near the house. Sat there all afternoon into the night. About 10pm I went over (didn't know where the driver was) and put a note under the windshield advising that this was not a hog or livestock area and the truck/trailer were not appreciated. I advised if it wasn't gone by daybreak I would confiscate both.:) Well, it was on my property and I also advised they were trespassing. :D It was gone when I went out the next morning hopefully to never return. Not really an HOA issue but rather a non HOA situation I guess.

Northofu1
12-31-2020, 11:23 AM

:lol: "Shi$$ers full"

ewbldavis
12-31-2020, 01:46 PM
I feel the love here for HOA's.

Interestingly, my credit union won't finance 1-ton trucks. I call BS on that one, but they say "1-tons are commercial vehicles". Guess we'll use dealer if I ever upgrade.

Taxes, plates, etc. are more - but the "potential" load you are putting on the road is more, so that I understand.

We're possibly relocating to NC in the very near future - better believe we will avoid an HOA if we can :D At least mine says "Denali" so they won't know the difference!

chuckster57
12-31-2020, 01:51 PM
I feel the love here for HOA's.

Interestingly, my credit union won't finance 1-ton trucks. I call BS on that one, but they say "1-tons are commercial vehicles".
Every truck in Ca is “commercial” and you pay weight fees based on GVWR. You could register your truck in Ca as a passenger vehicle, but if you do, you can’t put any cargo in the bed. I’ve heard even a bag of groceries without getting cited.

ewbldavis
12-31-2020, 01:56 PM
That'd be my luck - cited for a case of beer...geez.

Javi
12-31-2020, 07:16 PM
Most towns and/or counties have zoning laws and regulations that can be used to keep the trashy neighbor in line. HOAs are just an excuse for small people to grab power.

Bill-2020
12-31-2020, 08:57 PM
In today's email, I got a notification for a new article discussing the capability differences between the 2020 F-250 and F-350 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/ford-2020-f-250-vs-f-350-what-makes-them-different/?utm_source=2020217&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=content). Something that people contemplating a new tow vehicle might find useful.

That's interesting and coincides with what my brother and I had read up on before he decided on the Ford over the Chevy and Ram. We learned, engines aside, that a F250 is essentially a F350 but with lighter suspension. In the end we both bought 250's that day with the 6.2 engines (I gave up my Tundra!...:eek:).

No, they can't pull as much as the 6.7 diesel, but we don't need that and it saved us each many thousands. All good. We are both very pleased.

notanlines
01-01-2021, 03:53 AM
Bill, as long as you and your brother understand that you can't haul or tow what a one-ton is capable of then you should continue to be happy.

Bill-2020
01-01-2021, 04:39 AM
Bill, as long as you and your brother understand that you can't haul or tow what a one-ton is capable of then you should continue to be happy.

“But, but, but the salesman said that we could pull anything on anyone’s lot!”

Yes, we understand the limitations.

ChuckS
01-01-2021, 05:55 AM
HOAs are why we bought in a rural area. 27 homes each on an acre. No HOAs, no rules... Community well system.. One new home owner tried to get a the other home owners to start one. Not gonna ever happen as long as I live here...

QCMan
01-01-2021, 08:20 AM
Our proposed " HOA " had 27 restrictions, only two that could be enforced my the county which were 1700 sq ft min and only one residence per lot. Bought all five lots and merged them into one lot. Now we have our home on nine acres and an HOA that got dissolved at closing. The surrounding farmers are happy as having tiny two acre lots bothered them. Most in the area are 50 to 300 acres. Life is good for all involved!

travelin texans
01-01-2021, 08:50 AM
That's interesting and coincides with what my brother and I had read up on before he decided on the Ford over the Chevy and Ram. We learned, engines aside, that a F250 is essentially a F350 but with lighter suspension. In the end we both bought 250's that day with the 6.2 engines (I gave up my Tundra!...:eek:).

No, they can't pull as much as the 6.7 diesel, but we don't need that and it saved us each many thousands. All good. We are both very pleased.

You could also say that F250 is the same as the F150 with heavier suspension & very little more payload, but neither equal a F350 when it comes to hauling a 5th wheel.

gearhead
01-01-2021, 08:56 AM

And that is the issue. I didn't pay good money to live in the ghetto. I don't mind rules if they are reasonable and enforced fairly.
Behind the house for RV's and boats is fine with me. But in the driveway or on the street is no for me. Carports on front of the garage is no for me. Converting the garage to a room is a no, unless you build another garage. I'm thinking our little subdivision was 1700 sq ft minimum. Betty says one side of one street in the older section may be smaller. We have everything from the zero lot line homes in the old section to about 3500 sq ft. We're about in the middle at 2900 sq ft. Our 2 lots are 90x180 each. I think the others are pretty close.
Our first questionable issue was a guy that built a backyard carport for a 35ft offshore boat with a T-top. So it was pretty tall. There was a bit of discussion among some neighbors about that. He moved and the new owners had a 5th wheel so it worked for them. Then a few more backyard carports for Jeeps and such. I'm OK with it but it is against the rules.
We have discussed putting a big carport behind our house, 24x44. We talked about it again recently. I told Betty I'm not sure how much longer we'll be doing this big RV thing. Probably 5 years max. Then maybe a small Class C if anything.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Time to put the peas and cabbage on.....

Hankster
01-01-2021, 10:38 AM
Ken off topic, but I'm curious which subdivision you've moved to . My wife and I used to live in Northview Ranch, I was President. And Vice President of the HOA for several years there. We put our house up for sale in Sept 2018, and lived in our Keystone Bullet at the campground across the highway through March of 2019. Rhat was when we hooked up and moved to Panama City Fl. I sure do miss the low humidity, but not the shoveling of the snow, and the inversion in the winter time.

gearhead
01-01-2021, 11:05 AM
Turned out pretty good. Sam's Choice ham which is surprisingly good. Betty skipped the cast iron skillet for the cornbread. Mrs. Renfroe's Chow Chow and Steens cane syrup on the table. Nap time.

Bill-2020
01-01-2021, 11:11 AM
You could also say that F250 is the same as the F150 with heavier suspension & very little more payload, but neither equal a F350 when it comes to hauling a 5th wheel.

I’m not an expert in this, I know what I’ve seen. But I have not looked under the F150 and compared it to a F250. However I wouldn’t imagine those two are as similar as the 250 and 350.

sourdough
01-01-2021, 11:45 AM
Turned out pretty good. Sam's Choice ham which is surprisingly good. Betty skipped the cast iron skillet for the cornbread. Mrs. Renfroe's Chow Chow and Steens cane syrup on the table. Nap time.

Mrs. Renfroe's Chow Chow....now you're talkin! Better get a few winks before the cabbage kicks in....:D

gearhead
01-01-2021, 01:16 PM
Mrs. Renfroe's Chow Chow....now you're talkin! Better get a few winks before the cabbage kicks in....:D
Too late! LOL
I just interupted Betty's recliner nap.

wiredgeorge
01-01-2021, 03:33 PM

1. Junk cars are considered lawn art here in the middle of nowhere.
2. What is grass? Don't need none among the cactii & rocks
3. What is a walk? No one walks in the cactii or rocks.
4. Bright blue house? No one can see a house from a public road.

Never understood why ya'll would choose to live somewhere where the somewhere told you how to live.

Ribtip
01-01-2021, 03:50 PM
I doubt seriously that ANY HOA board members, not to mention some of the tow vehicle owners, could tell you what any given vehicle would weigh or be rated at without the paperwork or know where to look on the truck & then most wouldn't know what they're looking at.
I totally agree, NO HOAs for us! Nor any CO-OP parks, been in one if those that was worse than any HOA!
A lot of hoa's do not allow work trucks meaning commercial trucks.

Frank G
01-01-2021, 05:04 PM
1. Junk cars are considered lawn art here in the middle of nowhere.
2. What is grass? Don't need none among the cactii & rocks
3. What is a walk? No one walks in the cactii or rocks.
4. Bright blue house? No one can see a house from a public road.

Never understood why ya'll would choose to live somewhere where the somewhere told you how to live.

And that is a 5 Star post.

Ribtip
01-01-2021, 06:25 PM
I’m not an expert in this, I know what I’ve seen. But I have not looked under the F150 and compared it to a F250. However I wouldn’t imagine those two are as similar as the 250 and 350.

Nope not even close to the 250/350

Todd Burton
01-03-2021, 07:49 AM
I think with those signs refer to the GVWR but I could be wrong. My truck does weigh 8300 pounds with full fluids - wife, me, and 2 dogs.Thats a 4 ton [emoji598]

JRTJH
01-03-2021, 08:38 AM
Thats a 4 ton [emoji598]

Almost every "half ton" (1000 pounds) truck that's built these days has a "payload of over 1500 pounds"... Add the vehicle weight (around 5000 pounds) and you come to the realization that, as a general rule:

Every half ton truck weighs more than 3 tons and many weigh more than 3.5 tons.