PDA

View Full Version : Recurring Electric Brake Issue

markjamestx
02-16-2020, 02:10 PM
Just needing to know if anyone out there has had this brake issue. Last May, we had a tire blowout on the passenger/door side rear axle on our 31' BKPR Bullet Premier. No problem, fixed the damage and got new tires and checked out the rim. All good to go, took off for a 3k mile trip, came home and took off again for a 6k mile trip. Heading home in late August, we lost the electric brake at the same location as the tire blowout. When it failed, we removed the drum and the parts literally fell out. Got home, changed out all of the brakes with complete genuine Dexter brake assemblies on all four hubs. Well, just got home from a 2k mile trip to Florida and the same brake assembly failed exactly as it did in August. My question is this, could be the brake drum? FYI - both axles have new HD suspension components with wet bolts.

Wxman
02-16-2020, 02:42 PM
Not exactly what you are asking, but related. I replaced my OEM brakes with new, self-adjusting Dexter assemblies. One failed in less than 2000 miles, and, like you said the parts just fell out when I removed the drum.
Just saying, it does happen.

Good luck

markjamestx
02-16-2020, 03:02 PM
Thanks Wxman, mine are self-adjusting as well. My question is why the same brake assembly after a tire blowout. Are they related?

JRTJH
02-16-2020, 05:02 PM
when you say that you replaced the brake shoes and magnets, did you replace the entire assembly, backer plate, shoes, magnet, springs adjusting star as a "complete assembly" or did you buy replacement shoes and a new magnet and 'rebuild the existing backer plate" ???

markjamestx
02-16-2020, 05:26 PM
I replaced everything from the spindle out including the pressure plate and everything else

bobbecky
02-16-2020, 07:17 PM
Just guessing here, but the common part from the original failed brakes to the failed replacement brake assembly sounds like maybe you have an issue with the hub/drum assembly. Maybe that is trashing the brake backing plate assembly. I had a failed backing plate assembly almost a year ago, found it when inspecting brakes and packing bearings. That was the point where I decided to upgrade to electric over hydraulic disc brakes, one of my best decisions for our rig.