PDA

View Full Version : Andersen Fifth Wheel Hitch

Tennessee Troy
02-13-2020, 01:22 PM
Good afternoon guys! So, if you noticed, my signature lists that I use an Anderson aluminum 5th wheel hitch, well, that's not exactly true, yet! I have one lined up to purchase from a guy on Craigslist. I have bought a 2017 Keystone Cougar 28RKS trailer. I work at a nuclear facility in Georgia and this will be my home for a while. I am having this 5th wheel delivered to me tomorrow morning from the dealer. So I haven't had to pull it myself, nor should I have to for a while, unless something suddenly changes.

So, with all of that said, I have done tons of research on all kinds of 5th wheel hitches and I like the Anderson hitch because of it's light weight and ease of use. I use my truck all of the time to haul stuff in the back. Well,.... I just watched a video that stated that the use of the Anderson hitches were hotly debated in the 5th wheel towing world. Now, in that video this guy had a monster 3 axle rig and said he wouldn't trust the Andersen. My rig is 12,000 lbs and some change GVWR.

I am here because I want to learn! I want to do things right. This is my first 5th wheel trailer and I am in a steep learning curve. That's ok, I like learning new things. With that said, I want facts and science, not just opinions. I want to hear from you guys who have been doing this a long time! Just like my previous post on the right tires for towing, I appreciate all of the input. What do you pro's think about the Anderson hitch? Is it safe for my size rig or should I go with a Companion slider that will fit my factory installed Ford puck system? (6 1/2 foot bed). Sorry this is so long! Thanks :-)

travelin texans
02-13-2020, 02:03 PM
Check out the Reese Goosebox, then nothing in your truck bed but he turnover ball, the hitch stays on the RV.
I have NO experience with either, but to me a 1" aluminum triangle with 2500-3500 lbs hammering down in it constantly just does not seem a good plan.
If/when we get back to rving Im certain I'd be in the market for the GB.

JRTJH
02-13-2020, 02:11 PM
I think you're "off a bit" on the specs for the 2017 28RKS.
Empty weight is 8255
Cargo capacity is 1745
GVW is 10,000 (NOT 12,000)
EMPTY pin weight is 1515
Length is 32’ 11”
Height is 11' 11"
Fresh Water 43
Black tank 30
Gray tanks (2) 60
Propane 60 Lbs

I also have a 2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 diesel. Mine is a Crew Cab, short bed 4x4.

If your truck is the same model, then your F250 payload is roughly 2000 pounds.

Your trailer pin weight (when loaded close to GVW) is going to push 1800 pounds. Add the hitch and you're likely to be at/over your payload.

The 2011-2016 F250 diesel payload, especially in the Lariat and above trim levels is not much better than a F150.

I know this isn't the questions you posted, but I couldn't ignore the mistakes in your post concerning the trailer GVW and potential pin weights.

I tow a 2014 27RKS and I "push the truck's GVW "right to the edge" and my trailer empty weight is about 1000 pounds lighter and the advertised pin weight is around 200 pounds lighter than the 28RKS.

So, I'd urge you to take it to a CAT scale once you get a hitch and can tow it. I'm guessing you'll be either at or over your truck GVW and possibly close to the rear axle max capacity. You might also check the tire maximum capacity, it will be OK with OEM tires, but if someone has "cheaped out on replacement tires" (something many used car dealers do to put "new tires on every vehicle on the lot" then they may have put smaller tires on the truck. So, be sure you're aware of exactly what your rig weighs and what the maximums are....

rklus16
02-13-2020, 02:41 PM
I have the same rig as you do and using the andersen hitch. I have the steel version model 3200 that mounts into the rails. I felt mounting it to the rails was a bit more secure of a connection vs to a gooseneck ball.

With only a gvwr of 10k. I don't think it's anywhere near the capacity of the hitch. I opted to buy the safety chain kit Andersen offers as an added safety precaution.

I've looked into other models of king pins such as the goosebox and trailerair air ride to dampen the ride a bit but haven't pulled the trigger.

Canonman
02-13-2020, 02:57 PM
Our Cougar is very similar in size and weight to yours. We've put over 20k miles on our rig and have had 0 problems. The Anderson Ultimate is everything they claim it is. No chucking or movement of any kind. Easy to load an unload the Cougar. Want to use the truck bed? No problem! The hitch comes out in 5 minutes and just as easy to reinstall.
I'd highly recommend it over the standard hitch for units our size.

sourdough
02-13-2020, 03:07 PM
OP, like you I am getting a new 5th wheel. Always owned bumper pulls. I have read, researched and repeat countless times. They will have an Andersen waiting for me when I get back to get the trailer. Off the top of my head the specs are 4500 tongue weight and 24k for trailer weight. I won't be close to either.

To me the "bulk/weight" of a regular 5th wheel hitch seems reassuring but at the cost of 3-400lbs., which will never get out of the bed of my truck without a hoist, I don't see it. I've watched many videos and read many posts from folks that went to the Andersen and loved it, only one that went back to a B&W if I recall and that was because it had a smaller footprint while traveling - he loved the Andersen and had no issues with it. I've read lots of negative comments about it but they are from folks that have never owned one.

Like you, I need/want my bed. I don't use it for work but when I want to put something in it, I want to do it right now and not after a trip to the hospital to recover from a hernia. I will be ordering the Ram Goose Ball Kit to go in the factory pucks. I like light (if safe and capable - and by every account this is) and simple. I know many don't like them but before I virtually eliminate the use of my bed without pressing evidence otherwise, I'm giving the Andersen a whirl. JMO/YMMV and I know many do.

jsb5717
02-13-2020, 03:23 PM
There are a lot of opinions about the engineered strength of aluminum but typically not supported by any science. Structural aluminum has a lot of applications. But there are a lot of good hitch options and a lot of reliable brands to choose from.

Like you, I chose the Andersen for it's light weight as well as its engineered strength. It's easy to install/remove and tows smoothly and quietly.

Most nay-sayers have never used one. Most all of us who use one like them and have had no problems. I'm no where near the published tolerances and you won't be either.

Do your research. You could also look at the Pullrite version, which is very similar in design and also gets good reviews. You could also consider the Demco Recon, which also connects to a goose ball.

wiredgeorge
02-13-2020, 04:17 PM
I got one... and like East Tennessee live on the side of an 1100' hill. Only issues with the Andersen are:
1. I bought the steel version that sits on a a gooseneck ball. The steel version is not for the faint of heart as far as lifting it out; wish I had spent a few more bucks on the aluminum.

2. The receiver part that the Andersen ball goes into will allow some off center as it will draw in the the ball. The one thing I had to learn as I hitch up on a hill is that when you get located and before putting the truck into park to put the emergency brake on as just putting it into park allows the truck to drift back 3-4" and you miss the location point. With practice, I can get the ball on the Andersen right under the receiver part on the fiver.

Brantlyj
02-13-2020, 07:25 PM
Another thread mentioned that using an Anderson hitch voids Keystone’s warranty. Why?

roadglide
02-13-2020, 07:33 PM
I got one... and like East Tennessee live on the side of an 1100' hill. Only issues with the Andersen are:
1. I bought the steel version that sits on a a gooseneck ball. The steel version is not for the faint of heart as far as lifting it out; wish I had spent a few more bucks on the aluminum.

2. The receiver part that the Andersen ball goes into will allow some off center as it will draw in the the ball. The one thing I had to learn as I hitch up on a hill is that when you get located and before putting the truck into park to put the emergency brake on as just putting it into park allows the truck to drift back 3-4" and you miss the location point. With practice, I can get the ball on the Andersen right under the receiver part on the fiver.

Another thread mentioned that using an Anderson hitch voids Keystone’s warranty. Why? Don't know why but I know a big keystone dealership near me sell the Anderson hitch’s.

Northofu1
02-13-2020, 09:36 PM
Like you Troy, I am waiting for my trailer, only its frozen right now and I don't get it until April.
I too have just purchased the A.U. Given it's weight rating, I am confident it will do the job for my 5er that sits around the same weight as yours.
If big truck big rv liked it, it has to be good :lol:
Even though he drives a Ford :hide:

tech740
02-14-2020, 05:24 AM
I have an Andersen on a 15.5k trailer. I love it. The only other hitch I would consider at this point is a Reese Goosebox. That’s because I already have the ball in the bed and the goose is replaces the hitch. It is so much smoother than a pin hitch. I have had both.

Ricbryant
02-14-2020, 06:44 AM
Hi, I was in your same boat in October 2019. My dealer gave me the Andersen and I had no idea good or bad about them. I have been more than happy with the Andersen. To me it seems easier to hitch up. You don’t have to be right on top of the hitch. That being said, I never used the standard 5th wheel set up either.

I pull a 315 RLS and I think the weight is about 12000 lbs. it’s real easy to remove from the bed of my truck if I need the bed. I also have been watching the hitch and double checking torque on all the bolts before traveling. No issues to date. I do however remove the ball when I’m not towing. The thought of losing that would ruin my day!

CedarCreekWoody
02-14-2020, 06:48 AM
I also tow with an Andersen and have been pleased although my experience with it is limited. BUT I have found very little concern from actual users. Most of the concern is speculation.

kfxgreenie
02-14-2020, 07:34 AM
I've been running an Andersen for 5 years with a 12K 5er. No problems. The only downside that I can think of is the extra exercise on the landing gear for the lift off the ball every time it is unhitched/hitched.

tech740
02-14-2020, 07:44 AM
I've been running an Andersen for 5 years with a 12K 5er. No problems. The only downside that I can think of is the extra exercise on the landing gear for the lift off the ball every time it is unhitched/hitched.

What is said above and the fact that most states will not allow towing two trailers at once on a ball hitch are the limiting factors in my mind. No idea if you plan to do that or not but those are the two downfalls in my book. Like I said, I have one and love it but if you have a gooseneck ball already I would go goosebox so there is nothing to remove but the ball.

KOZKO
02-14-2020, 09:31 PM
Andersen is AWESOME- I have 38’ 13,000lb and have no problems and after 2 years I am TOTALLY satisfied 😎😎😎

Dave W
02-15-2020, 04:33 AM
Not an Anderson lover. My century plus old tried and well proven B&W design takes me all of 10 minutes to install or remove and weighs about 70 pounds per piece - and for sure I'm not youngster. A slider base is somewhat more weight.

With that said, be aware that in some states safety chains are required with an Anderson - the general definition being that if it has a ball it needs chains(i.e. travel/utility trailer), a pin (i.e. semi trailer) it wont need those pesky chains.

But it's your choice.

Good luck with your new rig:D

huskerchops
02-15-2020, 12:09 PM
I just purchased a 2006 Keystone Laredo and the dealership put in an Anderson Ultimate 2 system. I have a B&W goose neck ball and the Anderson hooked up to that. I was a touch on the nervous side. My previous camper had a gooseneck extension. That thing pulled great and i pulled it for 380 miles. So far I'm happy with it.

Northofu1
02-15-2020, 02:27 PM
FYI if you are ordering the ultimate for the oem puck system in a gmc or Chevy and you are getting the safety chains, buy the andersen chains with safety hook catch and buy the bed post. I bought the Curt kit for GM and chain hooks will not fit, have to send it back. Bought chains with hook catch and bed post from company supplying for Amazon.ca and saved money.
Good luck

KRumm
02-15-2020, 11:17 PM
I am leaning heavily towards the Andersen hitch for my upcoming 5th wheel purchase as I like the lightweight, ease of hooking up and the ability to adjust the ball height on the fly without any tools.

But in searching reviews and such I came across a YouTuber who at her own fault really screwed things up... I am not telling you this to dissuade you from buying (As I will be buying).. but to warn you to take care in use...

Her first video was about her bed liner being tore up by the pin box... (She obviously had no idea of the adapter orientation measurement check) A few weeks later in another video she mentioned in passing that she broke out her truck rear window... (She most likely changed the orientation but did not know the consequences)... Then on a later video she recounted a harrowing experience seeing her adapter spinning out of control on the pin box... (She made no mention of knowing how to torque the adapters four hex screws)... My bet is she only saw and tightened two of the four hexes as two are inset into the housing... Basically you can’t cure stupid...

My takeaway was measure and know your clearances... Monitor the adapter and check hex torque... Keep a hex wrench on hand in case you need to remove the adapter in an emergency to let another truck tow your rig...

sourdough
02-16-2020, 06:27 AM
I am having an Andersen installed as well. I've not seen that video but I've seen lots of them. Everything you mentioned as her problems were self inflicted IMO. As you said, measure, torque...pay attention.

jsb5717
02-16-2020, 07:21 AM
...measure, torque...pay attention.

And it's not that hard. Anyone with that many problems installing a hitch is likely to have problems with everything that requires specific attention. (who needs to read the directions? :banghead:)

Towing a trailer is filled with important requirements. Ignoring those requirements will end you up in a ditch.

Brantlyj
02-16-2020, 11:13 PM
But in searching reviews and such I came across a YouTuber who at her own fault really screwed things up...

do you have a link to the videos or the youtubers name? Would like to watch them.

Big1
02-17-2020, 11:44 PM
I think that it is this one but I'm not sure so here it is. https://youtu.be/9HqmFZK0qqA

W5WI
02-20-2020, 08:33 AM
I switched from a "goose neck hitch with the turn over ball in the bed and the device on the 5er. Very hard to hook up by myself and it sat too low in the bed so I had to be careful when backing to not "jack knife" the trailer and damage the truck bed.

My Anderson Ultimate solved that problem as it is adjustable for height. Plus it is very easy to hook the trailer up to. Plus, for us old geezers with bad backs, the lightweight makes a a breeze to take in and out of the truck!

pdaniel
02-20-2020, 08:42 AM
Check out the Reese Goosebox, then nothing in your truck bed but he turnover ball, the hitch stays on the RV.
I have NO experience with either, but to me a 1" aluminum triangle with 2500-3500 lbs hammering down in it constantly just does not seem a good plan.
If/when we get back to rving Im certain I'd be in the market for the GB.
Many question the strength of an aluminum hitch yet we climb aboard a commercial airplane with a skin consisting of 2024T-3 0.125 thick, aluminum wings with landing gear attached to aluminum, aluminum fittings supporting the engines, etc. etc.
I have the aluminum Andersen pulling a Grand Design Solitude 310 GK and have had no issues.
As far as the strength of aluminum, I have faith. But then I worked on commercial and military aircraft.

BSHGTO
02-20-2020, 09:00 AM
Another thread mentioned that using an Anderson hitch voids Keystone’s warranty. Why?

No it does not. They can`t void your warrenty unless THEY have proven it caused a failure. None have up to this point It`s the law, Magnuson Act of some year.
You will hear " I was told this by this guy..." he is lying. Somebody was told by a Keystone guy at a rally somewhere that it voids his warrenty, he is wrong and should be fired but you know how Keystone routinely lies to people.I have, by the girls at the phone center on numerous actions.
Any way don`t listen to anyone that does not own one and uses it full time. Yes they just can`t stand that they paid to much money for a boat anchor.

CaptnJohn
02-20-2020, 09:05 AM
Add me to the list that went back to B&W. Sent the AU to the recycle bin at the county dump. Many think they are great I’m just not one of them. Good luck with whatever you choose.

WDPatterson
02-20-2020, 09:16 AM
I had an F250 King Ranch in which I installed a B&W Turnover Ball and a B&W Companion Hitch. I pull a 2004 Laredo 27RL, which is actually close to 30 feet long. Trailer weight is right at 10,000 pounds. The F250 pulled it just right, and the Companion Hitch was more than adequate. However, the weight of that hitch caused me not to want to take it out of the bed very often. Therefore, it stayed in the bed.

Since the hitch was always in it, it apparently was very tempting, and somebody stole it out of my driveway.

My replacement truck is an F-350, with overload Springs and an 8 foot bed, instead of a six and a half foot bed. I have a Blue Ox 30,000 pound gooseneck ball, which can be removed and flipped. So, it's pretty much like the B&W, only heavier-duty. And, with an F-350, I really don't have to worry about how much weight I'm pulling.

As for the Anderson 5th Wheel Hitch 2, it's good for over thirty thousand pounds. In fact, Company videos show them testing it for over fifty thousand pounds before failure. That's the aluminum version, by the way. In fact, the aluminum version tests to a higher strength than the steel version does. And, they have a 12 year old girl picking that 38 pound hitch out of the bed of the truck. She not only took it out of the bed of the truck, she put it back in. And, most people have no problem at all torquing it to the bed.

In short, I have owned enough hitches, pulled enough trailers, and had enough experience with what I like and don't like. I can tell you without a doubt that I have no problem pulling with the Andersen hitch. I don't have a problem with the room it takes up in the bed. And, my assessment is reinforced by the guy who owns Tweety's RV. He'll never use a different hitch again.

I also recommend that you look at bed covers which accomodate a tool box with a low profile or in-bed box.

That will keep the prying eyes at bay. You can open up the bed cover to hitch up and go, you can close it to hide your hitch.

If you choose to use the Anderson hitch, I don't think you're going to be disappointed at all.

jad59
02-20-2020, 09:37 AM
I was like you until I found that Lippert would not warranty the use of an Anderson hitch. I called Lippert to find out for sure and they said that is true, the only hitch they approve is the Reese Goose box.

So that is what I bought this thing is great easy to hook and unhook. The ride is great because it has an airbag and shock for smoother ride between the two vehicles.
And the best part is all that is in bed a ball easy to remove.

Dave W
02-20-2020, 09:58 AM
It makes me chuckle when I hear complaints about a B&W Puck non slider hitch being so heavy. When did the American male become so wussified that two ~70 pound pieces were beyond a healthy males ability to lift (make sure you read HEALTHY here)

WDPatterson
02-20-2020, 10:04 AM
It makes me chuckle when I hear complaints about a B&W Puck non slider hitch being so heavy. When did the American male become so wussified that two ~70 pound pieces were beyond a healthy males ability to lift (make sure you read HEALTHY here)
Probably when those American males begin to have back problems. That might be my guess.

WDPatterson
02-20-2020, 10:05 AM
I was like you until I found that Lippert would not warranty the use of an Anderson hitch. I called Lippert to find out for sure and they said that is true, the only hitch they approve is the Reese Goose box.

So that is what I bought this thing is great easy to hook and unhook. The ride is great because it has an airbag and shock for smoother ride between the two vehicles.
And the best part is all that is in bed a ball easy to remove.
Lippert is a big company. They sell Reese.

Jerry S
02-20-2020, 10:08 AM

I do not think that is correct. I bought from Keystone and the dealer installed a Anderson Hitch with a B&W reversible ball mount. I love the Anderson and would not use anything else. At my age of 73 it is pretty easy to install and remove the 35 Lb Anderson. Towing is so smooth you do not eve know there is a 5er hooked up.

WDPatterson
02-20-2020, 10:08 AM
By the way, you don't need a fancy pin box when you're using an Andersen hitch. You can save some money. There's no chucking, and there's no need to cushion.

Jerry S
02-20-2020, 10:09 AM

How old are you Dave? That makes the difference. :-)

WDPatterson
02-20-2020, 10:09 AM
I do not think that is correct. I bought from Keystone and the dealer installed a Anderson Hitch with a B&W reversible ball mount. I love the Anderson and would not use anything else. At my age of 73 it is pretty easy to install and remove the 35 Lb Anderson. Towing is so smooth you do not eve know there is a 5er hooked up.

That's been my experience, as well. So smooth, almost creepy, you can't tell it's back there.

Jerry S
02-20-2020, 10:11 AM
Leopard is a big company. They sell Reese.

When did you call them? I think they have since changed that policy.

WDPatterson
02-20-2020, 10:16 AM
When did you call them? I think they have since changed that policy.

They're not going to change their policy if it enables their competitors to sell more product.

Jerry S
02-20-2020, 10:36 AM
I am leaning heavily towards the Andersen hitch for my upcoming 5th wheel purchase as I like the lightweight, ease of hooking up and the ability to adjust the ball height on the fly without any tools.

But in searching reviews and such I came across a YouTuber who at her own fault really screwed things up... I am not telling you this to dissuade you from buying (As I will be buying).. but to warn you to take care in use...

Her first video was about her bed liner being tore up by the pin box... (She obviously had no idea of the adapter orientation measurement check) A few weeks later in another video she mentioned in passing that she broke out her truck rear window... (She most likely changed the orientation but did not know the consequences)... Then on a later video she recounted a harrowing experience seeing her adapter spinning out of control on the pin box... (She made no mention of knowing how to torque the adapters four hex screws)... My bet is she only saw and tightened two of the four hexes as two are inset into the housing... Basically you can’t cure stupid...

My takeaway was measure and know your clearances... Monitor the adapter and check hex torque... Keep a hex wrench on hand in case you need to remove the adapter in an emergency to let another truck tow your rig...

The dealer that installed my king pin adapter tightened down the hex screws, then remove it and where the marks were from the hex screws took a drill bit and just made a small indentation with the bit so the hex screws would set in those indentations then torqued them to spec. Not going to spin or turn anywhere this way. I know there are many out there that do not do this and I am not sure it is necessary but that is my experience. Also make sure the two holding the adapter to the king pin are torqued to specs. I carry a torque wrench in my pickup at all times.

WDPatterson
02-20-2020, 11:15 AM
The dealer that installed my king pin adapter tightened down the hex screws, then remove it and where the marks were from the hex screws took a drill bit and just made a small indentation with the bit so the hex screws would set in those indentations then torqued them to spec. Not going to spin or turn anywhere this way. I know there are many out there that do not do this and I am not sure it is necessary but that is my experience. Also make sure the two holding the adapter to the king pin are torqued to specs. I carry a torque wrench in my pickup at all times.

When I installed mine, I actually called Anderson hitch. They said it was not necessary to Dimple the Pin Box, but it was up to me if I wanted to do so.

That said, I put quite a few miles on this rig, and never had any shifting or anything untoward happen. The only scary part is that it's so smooth, I hardly know it's back there. A look in the rearview is always wise, anyway.

Dave W
02-20-2020, 11:16 AM
How old are you Dave? That makes the difference. :-)

Closing on 80 and not showing or acting that age

WDPatterson
02-20-2020, 11:18 AM
Closing on 80 and not showing or acting that age

🤣😂😜🤪😁
Yew Da Man !!!
🤓😏😎

sourdough
02-20-2020, 01:17 PM

Aside from those that have physical issues trying to hoist a steel block out of the bed every time they want to do something, I look around me. I've got 5vrs on both sides of me in this park. Both have huge 5th wheel hitches just sitting in the beds and never move. I asked both of them if they ever just pulled them out to do other things; BOTH said they weigh too much and are so bulky they just let them sit in their beds ALL the time when they are traveling and they never move - for anything. One said he takes his home and uses a HOIST to pull it out for the off season. I don't need or want any of that unless it's absolutely necessary. So instead of "wussified" I'm thinking more along the lines of "thoughtful" folks, people that actually try to think through what benefit there is to hoisting 200lbs in and out of the bed of a truck for.....exercise? Just because? Especially if there is a better way that accomplishes the same thing. ;)

rlh1957
02-20-2020, 01:40 PM
I have the Anderson Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel hitch towing a 2020 Cougar 29RKS which is almost the same in weight, size & specs as yours. The newer trucks have higher sides so turning or uneven ground in a steep turn or backing could touch or drag the pin box. My 2019 F350 Single Rear Wheel 6.5' bed is really close when the assembly crosses over the rails. The SRW sits higher on the side rails than a DRW.
Mine might scrape if I was out on rough uneven ground. My wife is my spotter.
No way to have a tonneau cover or anything else on top of the rails.
As far as towing and maintenance I love it. We are towing on the low end as 5th Wheels go. Never had a problem or complaint in the past year of towing.

You've come to the right place for free experienced knowledge and opinions. When you have a problem or question I come here and I never believe anyone that will be making money off of my decision. Some would tell you a VW will tow a rig just to make a sale.

jsb5717
02-20-2020, 02:06 PM
I haven't seen this video before today but it speaks to this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCLl94HzZU

Spletbr
02-20-2020, 02:08 PM
I can’t speak first hand to the Andersen but after doing a lot of comparisons I also went with the B&W Companion. It comes apart into two pieces so I can easily lift each in and out of my 350 with puck system. This is my first 5r too (moved up from TT) and it just seemed more secure/safe. May just be me being overly cautious, however.

sfem192
02-20-2020, 02:21 PM
I have a 2018 29rks with the Anderson hitch. It works great and is so easy to remove from the bed of my truck I did a lot of research after my dealer installed the hitch on my truck. I am very satisfied with this purchase and would recommend it to anyone. I have shown it to a lot of friends and they are amazed at how easy it is to connect compared to their fifth wheel. I have a Ford F-250 diesel and weight it and the trailer and it is under all weight limits. If you go with the Anderson hitch I don’t think you will be disappointed.

rlh1957
02-20-2020, 02:28 PM
My Keystone dealer also recommended and installed my Anderson. So I have it in writing if there was ever any question about warranty, which there is not.

I'm thankful to be living in a country where we can all have our own opinions, make our own decisions and have the freedom of many choices from which to choose.

rlh1957
02-20-2020, 02:36 PM
Some people get butterflies when torque wrench or torque specs are mentioned.
For anyone not familiar with them... Torque wrenches are available at good prices and are easy to use. Worth the few dollars spent to have one. You'll use it for many things. Lug nuts really should be torqued on that way they are even, don't get welded on like some tire shops with their air gun set at max. Makes putting the Anderson in or back in easy and sure it is correct.

Walkerhtc
02-20-2020, 03:16 PM
Anderson has great customer service for any questions. I love how easy it is. Be aware that your truck will compress a couple inches, therefor when you start to lift the pin off the ball, it will feel like the landing gear is lifting the truck as it decompresses. Freaked me out at first as I was overly cautious about burning out the landing gear motor. Took almost 20seconds before the hitch started lifting off the ball.

WDPatterson
02-20-2020, 03:52 PM
Here is Andersen's video on their hitch.

https://youtu.be/qMW-ynhTatA

rs1718
02-20-2020, 06:18 PM
I have the Andersen aluminum with the b&w ball. Trailer weighs 15k loaded 2700 on the pin. I have over 40000 miles on this setup no issues. I love it. TV is a2015 ram dually long bed

rhagfo
02-20-2020, 07:23 PM
I think I took too many physics and Vector Algebra classes in school. I don't see a strong design in the way the 1" tubes attach to the head unit, you no longer have a triangular structure, more like a trapezoid which doesn't have the strength of a triangle.

In addition you need to lift the pin an additional 3" to 5" to clear the ball, When I have much of the weight off the pin, I can pull out and the truck rises about 1" to 2", when I hook up, pin box is about 1" to 2" lower than the hitch head slides right in. Also no need for safety chains.

BSHGTO
02-21-2020, 05:44 AM
Add me to the list that went back to B&W. Sent the AU to the recycle bin at the county dump. Many think they are great I’m just not one of them. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Why don`t you give us some specific reasons you tossed the hitch.

Beachside
02-21-2020, 04:11 PM
In my old tuck I towed a Montana High Country 338DB with a B&W turnover ball and companion hitch. Great hitch, pretty much bomb proof. But, heavy. Yes, I could lift it into the truck and lift it out, but doesn't mean I enjoyed it. That, and I store my hitch about 200' from where I can drive the tuck, so that meant hauling the two halves in two trips on a dolly. New truck, I got a Anderson Ultimate as it did not have the B&W turn over ball so had to get a new hitch. Love the Anderson. So much easier to move. Pulls great and easy to hitch and unhitch. Sometimes with the B&W if I was at an angle it would bind when unhitching. Not a problem with the Anderson. Yes, you have to lift the trailer up higher, but my truck has the factory air, so I can lower the truck, so that isn't even an issue.

vampress_me
02-21-2020, 05:25 PM

I have to laugh occasionally at this too. Since it’s my teen daughter and I who take it out and put ours back in 90% of the time. All summer we’re flipping between the Companion (non-puck version) and the plain turnover ball for the gooseneck horse trailer. Of course, some of the time I cheat and we just put the Companion at the front of the bed and tie it down with a ratchet strap. If I do that, I can put the Companion back to use by myself. And neither one of us is a weightlifter. LOL. :whistling:

michaelrc51
02-21-2020, 06:06 PM
I think I took too many physics and Vector Algebra classes in school. I don't see a strong design in the way the 1" tubes attach to the head unit, you no longer have a triangular structure, more like a trapezoid which doesn't have the strength of a triangle.

In addition you need to lift the pin an additional 3" to 5" to clear the ball, When I have much of the weight off the pin, I can pull out and the truck rises about 1" to 2", when I hook up, pin box is about 1" to 2" lower than the hitch head slides right in. Also no need for safety chains.

I agree about the tubes. I would think it would be much stronger if the ends were cut and welded at an angle and nut collapsed before they welded them in place. I do some of my own fab and like to engineer stuff, but I am not an engineer.

I'm sure that Andersen has their reasons why they designed it the way they did.

After reading pretty much all positive reviews from people who have tried it, I decided to get one. I don't have any experience towing with it yet though.

Jnich17
02-21-2020, 06:09 PM
I purchased an Avalanche 375 rd last summer. I really wanted the Anderson hitch until I found out it was not recommended for my Lippert air ride pin box. Anderson recommended that a rigid pin box is needed for their hitches. Mine pivots on rubber pads. I went with the Demco Recon. Same attachment as the Anderson but will work with non rigid pin boxes. I love it. It comes apart in 3 pieces and leaves a clean bed. I'm not one for lifting heavy loads and it is fairly easy to handle. It attaches to goose neck ball also.

jsb5717
02-21-2020, 06:19 PM
The Demco Recon is a good choice. If I didn't already have and love the Andersen that's the one I'd be looking at.

michaelrc51
02-22-2020, 07:26 AM
I purchased an Avalanche 375 rd last summer. I really wanted the Anderson hitch until I found out it was not recommended for my Lippert air ride pin box. Anderson recommended that a rigid pin box is needed for their hitches. Mine pivots on rubber pads. I went with the Demco Recon. Same attachment as the Anderson but will work with non rigid pin boxes. I love it. It comes apart in 3 pieces and leaves a clean bed. I'm not one for lifting heavy loads and it is fairly easy to handle. It attaches to goose neck ball also.

Interesting info, did Andersen tell you this?

All I have read is that the Rota-Flex Pinbox requires a lockout kit, I haven't seen any information about other air ride pinboxes.

KSH
02-22-2020, 08:37 AM
I used the Andersen, it was great. It just took up a lot of space in the bed. I switched to a pull rite. A bit heavier at 50lbs, but it's steel and smaller overall foot print. Very reasonably priced on Amazon.

dutchmensport
02-22-2020, 08:52 AM
Yes, something to think about: If you use a hitch system where the "ball" is on the truck and the trailer uses the female coupler, even on a fifth wheel version, you'll need to use safety chains. If you use a goose neck style hitch system, you'll need safety chains. I'm pretty sure almost all 50 states require safety chains with goosneck style hitch systems.

On the other hand, you already have the puck system in your truck. Personally, I'd use a hitch that matches the puck system, if that is Andersen or something else.

Next, you need to consider, unless you had the dealership swap this out, your fifth wheel pin box will need to be switched or, or adapted from the traditional 5th wheel pin box to the gooseneck style pinbox, or an adaptor that fits the trailer fifth wheel.

About the strength or weakness of the Andersen. From what I've read on many, many forums, the critics are usually those who do not have, or have ever used the Andersen system. Those with good evaluations, are almost always those who actually have them. Please take that with a grain of salt.

Good luck in your choice.

SR71 Jet Mech
02-22-2020, 02:04 PM
I was very skeptical at first, aluminum.? The design? But after watching their (Anderson) videos of putting one in a press and it not failing until 50k+ lbs. then taking that hitch out and towing and panick stopping with a triple axle trailer full of sand rails and equipment.....I thought I’d try it. My dealer also sold and installed it. 4 years and 30k miles and I love it. Can’t and won’t say it’s “better” than anything else, but it is rugged,light,easy to remove and install and tows great.

Scott

KSH
02-22-2020, 05:13 PM
Yes, something to think about: If you use a hitch system where the "ball" is on the truck and the trailer uses the female coupler, even on a fifth wheel version, you'll need to use safety chains. If you use a goose neck style hitch system, you'll need safety chains. I'm pretty sure almost all 50 states require safety chains with goosneck style hitch systems.

On the other hand, you already have the puck system in your truck. Personally, I'd use a hitch that matches the puck system, if that is Andersen or something else.

Next, you need to consider, unless you had the dealership swap this out, your fifth wheel pin box will need to be switched or, or adapted from the traditional 5th wheel pin box to the gooseneck style pinbox, or an adaptor that fits the trailer fifth wheel.

About the strength or weakness of the Andersen. From what I've read on many, many forums, the critics are usually those who do not have, or have ever used the Andersen system. Those with good evaluations, are almost always those who actually have them. Please take that with a grain of salt.

Good luck in your choice.The adapter comes with it and bolts on to the king pin.

Northofu1
02-22-2020, 07:41 PM
The chains with safety plate are $139 US, Plate goes over andersen bed shaft or ball. very easy to install. Eyebolts for king pin adapter are also handy when chains are not in use.

CedarCreekWoody
02-23-2020, 04:03 AM
If you already have hooks in the truck bed, such as with the B&W turnover ball, you don't need the plate. About $50 less.

SAE
02-24-2020, 11:57 PM
Too expensive for the bang/buck relationship offered. JMHO>

SAE
02-25-2020, 12:14 AM
Some people get butterflies when torque wrench or torque specs are mentioned.
For anyone not familiar with them... Torque wrenches are available at good prices and are easy to use. Worth the few dollars spent to have one. You'll use it for many things. Lug nuts really should be torqued on that way they are even, don't get welded on like some tire shops with their air gun set at max. Makes putting the Anderson in or back in easy and sure it is correct.

How does one hook up an RV for a trip and not own a torque wrench? --(wheel lugs for both the trailer and the tow vehicle)

SAE
02-25-2020, 12:21 AM
I agree about the tubes. I would think it would be much stronger if the ends were cut and welded at an angle and nut collapsed before they welded them in place. I do some of my own fab and like to engineer stuff, but I am not an engineer.

I'm sure that Andersen has their reasons why they designed it the way they did.

After reading pretty much all positive reviews from people who have tried it, I decided to get one. I don't have any experience towing with it yet though.

For anyone who thinks that the mass of a big steel fifth wheel set up is going to somehow be safe(er) or better, I can send some photos of a friend's 35 MPH collision using a B&W and only a 10K fifth.

Andersen's video does show a static load failure. The video does NOT capture the forces experienced in a crash.

I use both B&W Companion AND Andersen along with a Turnover Ball from B&W.. Both excellent customer service companies!

CedarCreekWoody
02-25-2020, 05:26 AM
SAE, please post the photos.

KSH
02-25-2020, 07:16 AM
Please post.

travelin texans
02-25-2020, 07:33 AM
How does one hook up an RV for a trip and not own a torque wrench? --(wheel lugs for both the trailer and the tow vehicle)

I agree, you need a torque wrench.
Although it's not necessary, or recommended, to torque the lug nuts every trip especially with aluminum wheels, doing so will eventually crush the lug hole or break the stud creating bigger problems. Torque after wheels removed & again in a few hundred miles then not necessary til wheels removed again.

SAE
02-25-2020, 08:34 AM
I agree, you need a torque wrench.
Although it's not necessary, or recommended, to torque the lug nuts every trip especially with aluminum wheels, doing so will eventually crush the lug hole or break the stud creating bigger problems. Torque after wheels removed & again in a few hundred miles then not necessary til wheels removed again.

I have no idea where you source your info, in fact each and every resource that I’ve viewed during 50 years of pleasure and business transport indicates the exact opposite to your statement here, “Although it's not necessary, or recommended,... ”.

As as alloy trailer wheels are especially problematic, let’s start with the first of at least 100,000 examples from REAL subject matter authorities found across the Internet:

Lug Nut Torque Requirements & Maintenance Fall 2005 • www.keystonerv.com • 877-U-TORQUE
http://www.roadkingtrailers.com/LugNutTorquetrailersKeystone.pdf

“The axle and wheel assemblies of your RV (Figure
A) are designed differently than those on your car. The overall size, weight and center of gravity of a recreational vehicle subject the wheels to pressures unique to trailering. During normal cornering, the tires and wheels experience a considerable amount
of stress called “side-load”. Therefore, the lug nuts on your recreational vehicle require periodic retorqueing.
These instructions will show you how to maintain proper lug nut torque by following these important steps:

1. Check torque before every trip

2. Use proper tools (Figures C and D)
3. Follow the appropriate star pattern sequence
(Figure H)
4. Torque lug nuts in the correct stages and follow-up intervals after any wheel reinstallation (Figure L)
Etc... .

66joej
02-25-2020, 09:25 AM
Although my experience is only hands on (been using torque wrenches since the late 1950s when all we had were the beam types). I agree with statements by Danny "travelin texans" constant retorqueing does in fact distort aluminum wheels and stretches the lug nuts. This is only my opinion as a mechanic. YMMV

SAE
02-25-2020, 09:43 AM
There are those present who understand and broadcast things differently than the manufacturers and design engineers.

Reason would have it that for a nut to require periodic “additional” torque application (clicks on the wrenching), that fastener must have suffered from a loss of original applied torque.
Loss of torque = BAD.
If the nut remains at the original torque over time, then the conclusion is that the wrench will not “click”, the nut will not “spin”, and it is impossible to ‘wallow out’ the lug’s hole as a result of checking the torque.

How much loss of fastening torque is acceptable for you guys? How do you measure this loss? What causes the loss in the first place? How do you measure the torque remaining on the lug?

I have never seen nor experienced a loose wheel as a result of proper torque procedures. The opposite is not true.

travelin texans
02-25-2020, 09:58 AM
We're getting off in the weeds on this post about hitches, so I'll start another regarding lyg torque.