PDA

View Full Version : 245RL blowing landing gear fuse

gkainz
10-08-2011, 02:36 PM
I've blown the 30A landing gear fuse twice now, both times by pushing the wrong direction on the switch and then quickly correcting (like wanting UP but hitting DOWN and then quickly select UP) ... yeah - I know. The solution is "Don't do that!" ...but...

has anyone replaced the blade fuse with an automotive circuit breaker?

Festus2
10-08-2011, 02:46 PM
While I haven't done that, other forum members have and if you do a forum search, you will probably find several posts about this modification. Just type in what specific information you want to find or something like "blown landing gear fuse" or "landing gear fuse"....or ????? This issue has been discussed a number of times before so you should find some information on what others have done.
Another cause for this fuse to blow is trying to retract or extend the jacks too far down or up. Before it reaches the end of its travel, a person should stop the motor. Try putting tape or a mark on the jack about an inch or two before it "bottoms out". This is a "warning" line indicating that you should go no further. Some use green and red markers or tape to accomplish the same thing.

Ron
10-08-2011, 05:31 PM
This is what I use, haven't had a problem since:thumbsup:, just break off the tabs to the length you need to fit the fuse holder.......Happy Campin.....Ron

eds451
10-09-2011, 05:58 PM
I have a friend with a 5er and he added micro switches to one side of the landing gear so he never goes too far up or down. A mod I am thinking about doing over winter to my Cougar.

dave-g
10-11-2011, 02:00 AM
This is what I use, haven't had a problem since:thumbsup:, just break off the tabs to the length you need to fit the fuse holder.......Happy Campin.....Ron

is that an auto rest breaker? I do not see a reset button

Ron
10-11-2011, 05:52 AM
Yes Dave this will reset itself:yes:. Happy Campin...........Ron

byrdr1
10-11-2011, 06:13 AM
Just where is the fuse holder on the 327RES? I have tracked the power lines to the motor but have yet to see a fuse holder. I know it has two power lines so you can use the remote and the switch. Just asking to save me some back bending under the 5th.
Thanks,
Randy

MILBY
10-11-2011, 01:01 PM
It is in the box under the hitch all the way to the right side. It is in a big harness of wires I believe it is the pink wire you will find the fuse holder in this.

Ron
10-21-2011, 02:24 PM
As Milby has mentioned the fuse holder is in the front compartment above the batteries. I have posted a couple of photos of mine with the circuite breaker installed. Hope this helps,,,,,,,,,,Happy Campin........Ron

W5WI
10-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Marking the full up range with tape or paint helps. I replaced my fuse with an automatic reset circuit breaker.

After cranking my landing gear down and back up I learned that even with a blown fuse that the remote control that came with my 326MKS will raise and lower the gear. Now I learn that! :)

msp2jxr
10-23-2011, 07:16 AM
Where do you get the reset style circuit breaker...? I can only find the wait for it to cool and reset on their own in ten minutes style. Which I don't really want to use.

JRTJH
10-23-2011, 07:29 AM
I haven't seen 12 VDC manual reset breakers in years. Last time I saw any at all was on mid '50's automobiles. And they were quite rare.

Actually, if you think about it, waiting for the breaker to cool also allows the wiring harness to cool. That might not be a bad thing <G>

Ron
10-23-2011, 10:41 AM
The circuit breaker I have was purchased at an automotive parts house, or you can order them online. Since I have installed mine, I haven't had a problem since. My wife bottomed out the landing gear a couple times since and it quickly resets itself.:bdance: I carry a spare just in case in my electrical kit if someone else in the campground needs one or myself. Hope this helps. Happy Campin.............Ron

CamperGeoff
06-03-2014, 02:30 PM
Will I have to replace the fuse receptacle as well? I believe Montana puts 30Amp Minis in there. The Circuit Breaker is ATO sized.

randy69
06-03-2014, 03:11 PM
I've blown the 30A landing gear fuse twice now, both times by pushing the wrong direction on the switch and then quickly correcting (like wanting UP but hitting DOWN and then quickly select UP) ... yeah - I know. The solution is "Don't do that!" ...but...

has anyone replaced the blade fuse with an automotive circuit breaker?

Do not forget to grease both landing gears now and then. If you don't it will also blow that fuse.