PDA

View Full Version : Sequoia NP and Kings Canyon NP

fjr vfr
02-11-2020, 10:40 PM
Is it worth visiting these two parks end of March, beginning of April?

I see many campgrounds are open year round, but I'm still a little concerned about the weather in these parks that time of year?

Thanks, John

roadglide
02-12-2020, 03:36 AM
My answer is no but some folks like freezing . I spent a week at sequoia NP middle of September beautiful weather for riding and the traffic was none till the weekend’s. My camper was really to big because all the big rocks imbedded into the ground made it almost impossible to make turns with a pull through the space was 80 ft long .

fatcatzzz
02-12-2020, 04:23 AM
It all depends on what kind of winter there has been. I have been in both parks in March and April with warm days and cool nights. Other years I have been Trout fishing In May and have had snow on the ground. Any storms that come through can produce snow and probably will at higher altitudes. I would suggest contacting the Park Service at both parks and they should be able to shed some light.
Hope this helps

fjr vfr
02-12-2020, 09:55 PM
Thanks, that's kind of what I thought. I'll give it a little more thought. It's just one possibility for use heading north in that time period.

Camp CA
02-13-2020, 06:31 AM
Is it worth visiting these two parks end of March, beginning of April? I see many campgrounds are open year round, but I'm still a little concerned about the weather in these parks that time of year?

They are definitely worth visiting.........Sequoia National Park big sequoia trees are amazing and the park is beautiful and definitely WORTH seeing. King Canyon National Park Panoramic Point Road, just east of the Kings Canyon Visitor Center parking lot, offers impressive vista points and more.

As already suggested, check with each park before you go. Late March and early April begins to bring warmer temperatures, but the sequoia groves are often still filled with snow. Many park campgrounds, including those in the Sequoia National Park Grant Grove area, are closed until May. King's Canyon National Park Highway 180 from Grant Grove to Cedar Grove generally opens the fourth Friday in April.

CWtheMan
03-19-2020, 06:29 PM
A glimpse from a road trip from the bottom to the top.

B-O-B'03
03-21-2020, 01:00 PM
We camped in Sequoia back in 1993, at the end of May and half the camp ground was closed due to snow.

That was when the kids were little and we were camping in a tent.

It was quite cold and spectacular, I will definitely go back, just would plan for later in the year.

It was dark as we were going up the switch-backs to get to the park, my son was up from with me, the "girls" were in the back of the van sleeping and we woke them up with all the "wows" we were exclaiming as we lit up trees that were wider than the stuff around home are tall :eek:

-Brian