PDA

View Full Version : Adjust baggage slam lock?

Twisties
02-09-2020, 05:50 PM
It looks a lot like one of these:

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Doors/Global-Link/295-000186.html?feed=npn&gclid=CjwKCAiA-P7xBRAvEiwAow-VacyHPLYX0bugbCBBbWwk4ftgQzRauR6tM0ooFlWsU2pTRQvwK Hd5UBoCtXEQAvD_BwE

I can't get the baggage door open without a major struggle. The catch doesn't retract enough to clear the bracket mounted on the frame. The bracket doesn't seem to be readily adjustable, so I'm thinking there must be a way to adjust this latch. Google was no help.

LHaven
02-09-2020, 06:04 PM
Maybe this is your problem:

I had a problem with my Global Link slam lock a few months ago where the door just flat wouldn't open. Had to send DW crawling across the cargo compartment to pop the latch tongue upwards with a screwdriver, then took it off the door and disassembled it.

Inside, I found a mechanism where a pin-arm engaged the latch retractor when you pull the latch handle. Banging around loose inside the mechanism was a short, thick plastic tube designed to sit around the pin arm and act as a sort of combination mechanism lube and shock absorber. The tube had entirely popped off the pin arm from the slamming action. Without the tube on the pin arm, there was too much slack in the mechanism to fully retract the latch.

I put a dab of stickum inside the tube and pushed it back onto the pin arm, and it's been operating properly since.

If you're going to do this, make sure you open it up over a work surface because the tube will probably fall out.

Twisties
02-09-2020, 06:19 PM
Thanks! I'll open it tomorrow.

Twisties
02-09-2020, 06:20 PM
... and yeah, I threatened to send DW through like that, so she opened it with the latch the normal way... SMH. LOL

Twisties
02-10-2020, 11:27 AM
Well, we took it apart and saw nothing amiss. The latch doesn't retract as much as the other two of the same model on the unit. I wanted to cut a little off but the sensible one, DW, said spray it with triflow first... lo and behold it works.