PDA

View Full Version : 50 Amp shore cord advice

sjaeger
02-09-2020, 05:15 PM
Good evening,
I am going to be living in my 5th wheel full time for a few months while I do some house remodel projects. Where the 5th wheel is moving to has no electrical hook ups (as in no rv friendly electricity yet), but I am exploring the option of having one installed. My current set up is a 50 amp shore cord and I know I most likely won't set the trailer right next to the power pole. How long of a shore cord would be safe to use? Is 50 foot ok? Is 100 ok? I won't be traveling, so lugging the long heavy cord is not a concern.

Thanks in advance

chuckster57
02-09-2020, 05:26 PM
I have used a 25’ RV extension cord along with the 30’ shore cord with no issues. Others will chime in with what lengths they have used.

LHaven
02-09-2020, 05:42 PM
Here's a 50-foot. (https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Wiring/Mighty-Cord/A10-5050EH.html) Note that it's pretty pricey.

I have a retired electrician source that says #6-6-8 stranded is probably good to use for up to 100', but you'd be pushing it. And for the price, you're at least most of the way to hiring an electrician to put in a real outlet (he'd be putting in less-expensive non-stranded cable).

chuckster57
02-09-2020, 05:45 PM
If memory is working, member tracking Texan made his own using some stout but very pliable cord. Hopefully he sees this thread and weighs in as I think it was a lot cheaper.

JRTJH
02-09-2020, 05:47 PM
Typically, the 30' trailer shore power cable AND a 25' extension cord can be used for most applications. However:

There is more than the length of your RV shore power cord to consider. The distance from the main power panel to the connector where you plug in is also included in the consideration as is the size of the wire from the main panel to the plug and the size of your shore power cable wiring. Undersized wire will cause a voltage drop over longer distances and will carry less amperage, and as the voltage drops, the amperage demand increases. That could cause some problems with overheating things with motors in your RV (air conditioner, microwave, fans, etc.

If you're going to have a power source installed, I'd suggest explaining to the electrician that your trailer is a 50 amp RV system which means 2 legs of 120 volts at 50 amps each for a total of 100 amps across the plug. He'll understand and can size the wiring and give you advice concerning appropriate lengths for any additional cables.

CedarCreekWoody
02-10-2020, 04:45 AM
Homes are routinely fed with 100 amp or 200 amp electrical service so this is not unusual. Get an electrician to look at running you 50 amp service to your site.

+Ruff Rider
02-10-2020, 07:05 AM
Running a plug to the RV would be something prudent.

flybouy
02-10-2020, 07:19 AM
Good evening,
I am going to be living in my 5th wheel full time for a few months while I do some house remodel projects. Where the 5th wheel is moving to has no electrical hook ups (as in no rv friendly electricity yet), but I am exploring the option of having one installed. My current set up is a 50 amp shore cord and I know I most likely won't set the trailer right next to the power pole. How long of a shore cord would be safe to use? Is 50 foot ok? Is 100 ok? I won't be traveling, so lugging the long heavy cord is not a concern.

Thanks in advance

I think having a licensed electrician install an appropriately designed power pole where you are moving the trailer. is your best option. An electrician should make sure the wire is properly sized for the run, a proper enclosure is used, and that it's properly protected against over amperage and properly grounded.

I don't want to get over technical but IMHO an extension cord is useful for a short period (as in a day or two) IF it's properly sized. Running a long extension cord, or several of them, lying on the ground perhaps in water puddles or mud, with the connectors out in the elements for long periods without being inspected is just not a good situation.

sjaeger
02-11-2020, 07:58 AM
Thank you all for the advice. This place is kind of in the sticks of rural America so it's often hard to find people to do a job like that, especially in a timely manner. If 50 ft would work, I can probably shoot for that. It's much less expensive to buy a cord than have thousands invested in something I won't need long term.

CedarCreekWoody
02-11-2020, 09:37 AM
50 ft is commonly used so it shouldn't be a problem. Shield from the sun if you expect long time exposure.

kksfish
02-11-2020, 11:45 AM
One more thing to consider before deciding whether to go with an extension cord or to install new circuit is to check the voltage at the “source” where you would be connecting.
You mentioned being in a rural area....just ensure the voltage is not low prior to using the extension cord! This could make the situation worse as far as voltage drop is concerned!