PDA

View Full Version : Tools to keep in RV

mcgeno99
02-09-2020, 06:52 AM
Hello all...

This may or may not have been addressed in the forums (although my searching has not found it)

I'd like to know what tools you keep in you RV. In understand keeping the basics (i.e. screwdrivers, hammer...) but I was wondering if there was a list someplace that someone posted that would give a fairly complete list of the essential things to always have on hand in case of the unforeseeable happening....

Lets see what ideas please. I'm trying not to brings my entire garage toolbox, if you know what I mean....

:facepalm::banghead:

JRTJH
02-09-2020, 07:23 AM
Here are just a few of the threads from 2019 about the subject of tools and spare parts many carry in their rig. There are lots more in older threads:

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37873&highlight=Tools
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38266&highlight=Tools
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38893&highlight=Tools
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40051&highlight=Tools
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40700&highlight=Tools

jsb5717
02-09-2020, 07:26 AM
I think this depends on how handy you are and what kinds of repairs you're willing to tackle

I carry a lot of tools. My collection has grown over nearly 40 years of trailering as I encounter different things that need fixing, or other projects I take on while camping, so it's a big list. I also have several duplicates as I carry a small tool set inside the coach for quick fixes, socket sets and torque wrench in my truck, and a fairly comprehensive set in the coach storage including all the hand tools and power tools (Ryobi 18v stuff)

I'm sure I could reduce some of my load if I really worked at it but have been surprised over the years at what tools I have needed that I didn't have with me. They get added over time and now it's been a while since not having the right tool was an issue.

For me it became - If I've got room, I'll bring it

Logan X
02-09-2020, 07:38 AM
I keep a small, cheap set of tools (including a #2 square bit) inside of the trailer for quick fixes. I keep a 600 foot pound torque wrench and a half inch socket set in the pass through storage, so I can work on the hitch and things like that. I keep a fairly normal set of automotive tools in my truck.

A recent addition was a Makita impact wrench for lug nuts and things like that. I also keep my Makita impact drill and driver in the trailer when I’m traveling. I also have an assortment of electrical connections, fuses, and a volt meter.

Fishsizzle
02-14-2020, 08:53 AM
Cordless impact is a must. All the small cordless are nice as well. Prybar, screwdrivers, Crescent wrench, vise grips, gear wrenches, Allen wrench’s, torx wrench, electrical crimpers with connectors, duct tape, zip ties.........

cavediver
02-14-2020, 09:32 AM
A #2 Roberts bit (square drive) is a must. I dropped mine in hole, needed to buy a spare and a magnet to find it. I think I might bring my small welder with me on my next trip, it weights about 25 lbs you never know. Tools my tool box at work weighed 2000lbs (1 ton). I bring a lot of tools. My DW (I'm laughing) just suggested a shovel. She asked what DW meant I told her D_ _ _ Wife, I told her to fill in the blanks. This may be my last post.

Fishsizzle
02-14-2020, 09:48 AM
A #2 Roberts bit (square drive) is a must. I dropped mine in hole, needed to buy a spare and a magnet to find it. I think I might bring my small welder with me on my next trip, it weights about 25 lbs you never know. Tools my tool box at work weighed 2000lbs (1 ton). I bring a lot of tools. My DW (I'm laughing) just suggested a shovel. She asked what DW meant I told her D_ _ _ Wife, I told her to fill in the blanks. This may be my last post.

That is why I never used the DW. I go with HW....HOT WIFE

Cbrez
02-14-2020, 10:00 AM
In addition to the tools listed above, we usually travel with bicycles, so I carry thin wrenches, Allen wrenches, valve stem remover and patch kit for the bikes.

Frank G
02-14-2020, 03:01 PM
Standard Handy Person tools
Water Heater anode removal tool and Teflon tape
Roof Repair calk and tape
VOM, spare fuses, electrical tape and tie wraps
Jack and tools for tire changing, I carry a battery impact wrench and torque wrench

Air Compressor capable of topping off tires
Set of wheel bearings, grease, wipes and gloves
Duct tape, good ratchet straps
Highway flair and warning kit with reflective safety vest
first aid kit
flashlight or two
fire extinguisher

Brantlyj
02-14-2020, 09:23 PM
That is why I never used the DW. I go with HW....HOT WIFE

Google hot wife. You will be in for an education.

Brantlyj
02-14-2020, 09:33 PM
I bought a fairly decent kit from Lowe’s. Has the basics. Also added a socket for the Anode and lug nuts. Also have a multimeter, soldering iron, electrical tape and duct tape. Cordless drill for the stabilizer jacks because I’m lazy.

Most of my trips will be in-state so need just enough to limp home or get through the weekend. If I were to do an extended trip I would be more inclined to bring a cordless impact and maybe portable air compressor, but with no gen set I couldn’t power it anyways so that’s a big maybe.

Fishsizzle
02-15-2020, 06:58 AM
Google hot wife. You will be in for an education.

Now why did you go ruin that for Me.....better question, how did you know? LOL

Brantlyj
02-15-2020, 08:01 AM
Now why did you go ruin that for Me.....better question, how did you know? LOL

Haha. Think of it this way, I just saved you from a potential embarrassing situation if you mentioned your “hot wife” around the wrong people.

Not from experience, but I know things. ;).

Bob R
02-15-2020, 08:23 AM
Haha. Think of it this way, I just saved you from a potential embarrassing situation if you mentioned your “hot wife” around the wrong people.

Beats the hell out of googling Blue Waffles!!! :nonono:

To the other question, I also carry along with basic tools a 6 gallon/175psi air compressor. You just never know when you may need some air and I have an air suspension and to operate it manually it needs to be over inflated.

bob

Fishsizzle
02-15-2020, 08:32 AM

Thanks ;)

So we are with In-Laws in vacation. Ma in law is a little, old fashioned.

She asked me if I’m going to get a Duck sticker for the fridge in the house. I said why? She said cause their is a beaver sticker on the fridge....

The sticker didn’t say, “ I love the Beavers”

It said “I love Beaver”

I had to keep the straightest face Ever. I calmly said that she needed to drop the conversation.

notanlines
02-15-2020, 05:13 PM
We have a thread titled "Full body paint and waxing" that popped up. I'm not sure where this will end, but it ain't pretty.....:hide:

dutchmensport
02-15-2020, 05:39 PM
You're going to end up getting a long, long list of things that folks think are absolutely... must have tools and you're going to end up with a couple thousand pounds of unnecessary stuff if you take the advise from everyone. Here's what you "really" need in the way of "tools" for repairs on your camper.

First and most essential is a Robertson Head screw driver. All the screws in your camper that were used are Rovbertson screws. Notice, they all have a square hole. A Phillips and a Flat screw driver are worthless on these screws.

After that, all you need are the tools to take care of the things on your camper. WHAT?

Take the time to thoroughly inspect your camper and look at every item that exists. Then look at that item and ask yourself, "What tools do I need to disassemble that item?" Or, "What tools do I need to fix that item if it broke." Assemble JUST those items and that's all you need. Carry them only with you, make them a permanent part of your camper, and never remove them or use them for any other purpose.

You'll need a socket and wrench to remove the water heater plug. You'll need only specific sockets or wrenches to tighten the bolts on the shackles of your trailer axle. You get the idea. You do NOT need to drag along enough tools to rebuild an Indy race car. You do need the tools to rebuild your camper! And only them. So don't get sucked into dragging along a 1000 piece socket and ratchet set, when all you need are probably only about 3 sizes of sockets and probably, 3 different sizes of wrenches, and a couple different sizes of adjustable wrenches will probably take care of them.

If you are camping within an hour or two from your home, you really don't need much. If you are full timing and have no stick and brick house, and your camper is your entire world, then you'll probably WANT some extra tools for your tow vehicle. But more is not necessarily better. MORE added excessive weight to your camper. Be smart, take just what you need and know how to use.

RickReichert
02-20-2020, 09:42 AM
Hello all...

This may or may not have been addressed in the forums (although my searching has not found it)

I'd like to know what tools you keep in you RV. In understand keeping the basics (i.e. screwdrivers, hammer...) but I was wondering if there was a list someplace that someone posted that would give a fairly complete list of the essential things to always have on hand in case of the unforeseeable happening....

Lets see what ideas please. I'm trying not to brings my entire garage toolbox, if you know what I mean....

:facepalm::banghead:
Whatever tool you don't bring along is the one you'll need! ������

rlh1957
02-20-2020, 01:59 PM
Basic tool set of pliers, screwdrivers, sockets, wrenches, etc. Look all over your specific rig and see what you might have to deal with somewhere along the traveled road. If it's all SAE no need to carry a set of Metric, unless needed for your tow vehicle. If there are odd fittings, different screws or torx head sizes be sure to have those sizes. Do you have wrenches that fit your LP Gas fittings, your lug nuts, maybe a breaker bar for removing those stubborn seemingly welded on lug nuts? I leave the Duct Tape out and carry Gaffer's Tape. It is like Duct Tape on steroids but doesn't leave goo and gum when removed from anything it's used on. Rubber gloves and some work gloves. Eye protection shouldn't be left out. Basic cleaning supplies for the type of materials on your rig... awnings, siding, etc. You can always add things when you get back to base or on the road. In a pinch reach out to your neighbor, meet a fellow RV'er and we'll be glad to lend you a tool. Most of us are a friendly talkative bunch!

Camp CA
02-22-2020, 07:30 AM
.....I'd like to know what tools you keep in you RV......

I keep a multi-piece tool kit, channellock pliers, Viair 40047 400P-RV automatic portable air compressor kit, torque wrench, hand held portable vacuum cleaner and blower.

One tool I have not heard anyone note is a "brad gun" to reattach the molding that comes loose at the end of a travel day. Sort of solved that issue by trading it in for a new 2020 Montana with very secure molding.

flybouy
02-22-2020, 02:16 PM
If you take one of each of the recommendations then the easiest thing to do is but a Ford E350 van, back it up to a Harbor Freight store and fill it until she starts to squat or your wallet flattens out, whichever happens first. Have you DW follow you in the van.:popcorn: