PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Springs USA made?

Tuz5150
02-08-2020, 09:18 AM
I gotta replace my leaf springs on my Dexter D44 axles.

Being from Detroit, I want to get American made steel. Been in auto industry long enough to know steel from china is inferior (isn't everything?). All the springs from etrailer.com are china made.

I believe all the dexter leaf springs are made in the USA.

Anyone have any thoughts or know of leaf spring suppliers that make in USA?
/Dave/

JRTJH
02-08-2020, 09:35 AM
Being from the Detroit area, I'd suggest you contact Clyde's Frame and Wheel on Dixie Highway. https://www.clydesbigtex.com/

They repaired my axle/hub last summer and there are a couple of other forum members who have had work done there. If anyone would know where to buy "US made springs" it would be the people there.

If I remember correctly, Dixie Highway changes names just north of their location.....

Dave W
02-08-2020, 09:50 AM
The Dexter springs on our '14 HC had Made in China in 1" tall white block letters. The Redline replacements had the same and have done fine over the 'super great' and shovel ready US highways.

Much of the current US steel is actually from Posco Steel in Pohang, Korea and often via a rolling mill in Canada.

Roscommon48
02-08-2020, 12:12 PM
I'm from Detroit...went to Osborn in the day.

You probaby will spend a lot of time trying to get 'USA steel' springs. Just get what is out there.

flybouy
02-08-2020, 01:50 PM
I think that "American made steel" mill is right beside the "American made" television factory, "American made" clothing fabric mills, cellphone companies, appliance company, and factories that make just about everything else the average American purchases.

Tuz5150
02-09-2020, 05:45 AM
Everything is made in China, I know. We do still have lots of small steel mills in the midwest.

I might have a line on some American made leafs. I'll keep you all posted.

Northofu1
02-09-2020, 05:56 AM
The springs on my dexter axles from Keystone were,,,,, made in china.
snapped clean in half, 4 yr old trailer,,, no where near capacity.
The 4 new ones,,,, made in china

Tuz5150
02-09-2020, 06:28 AM
The springs that come from the Keystone factory on Dexter Axles are not necessarily made/supplied by Dexter. (I've learned)

I'm finding that there is little to no quality engineering on any RV. Coming from automotive, we scratch our heads at some of stupidity.

The only thing regulated, as far as we can tell is the GVWR, and the minimum tire rating to handle the GVWR. Everything else is designed and made with the cheapest sourced parts available.... meaning china.

Yes, most vehicles have lots of overseas parts in them too, but that is changing as the quality has been an issue. USMCA requires 75% north American content now.

When the big china push was on 20 years ago... the initial parts were decent quality, but then as time went on, and nobody was looking they cheapened up the parts. Steel from China is notorious for this.

Ken / Claudia
02-09-2020, 12:29 PM
I agree with the above post, but after the word cheap is lightest weight possible. Their made as cheap and light weight as possible. Neither helps to build a long lasting, trouble free RV.

Dave W
02-09-2020, 02:34 PM
I agree with the above post, but after the word cheap is lightest weight possible. Their made as cheap and light weight as possible. Neither helps to build a long lasting, trouble free RV.

Cheap, yes, but not light. The China made Redline springs sold by etrailer are 'standard' at 3/8" per leaf thick by 1-3/4" wids. My biggest complaint was that the end eyes were on the large side, allowing the bushing to slide in too easily and possibly 'rattle' and a subsequent failure. My history with bronze wet bushings ain't good. Unfortunately, a previous set and brand from another source were just as bad. I paint over the Made in China just so it wont remind me of the crap being supplied as OEM or aftermarket for our RVs

Just chillin
02-09-2020, 05:36 PM
I ordered a spare spring just to carry with me not too long ago. Came straight from Dexter with the part number and Dexter painted on it right beside the word China..

bobbecky
02-09-2020, 08:44 PM
If this link is for springs made in China, I'm pretty sure Stengel Bros can get you the same thing made here.

https://www.stengelbros.net/US-1085-Type-EE-EyeEye-Utility-and-Boat-Trailer-Spring-24875-inch-Length-3500-lb-Rating_p_1714.html

Tuz5150
02-10-2020, 07:57 AM
I received the following email from www.stengelbros.com about springs:

>Here are the utility trailer springs that we offer.
>
>https://www.stengelbros.net/Utility-Trailer-Springs_c_242.html
>
>https://www.stengelbros.net/Eye-Eye-Trailer-Springs_c_254.html
>
>
>Most of sourced outside U.S. There are no U.S. source that makes these i>nexpensive trailer springs (no capacity for these low margin springs).
>
>
>Thank you,
>
>Jack Stengel
>Stengel Bros. Inc.
>www.stengelbros.com

Hblick48
02-10-2020, 09:11 AM
Cheap, yes, but not light. The China made Redline springs sold by etrailer are 'standard' at 3/8" per leaf thick by 1-3/4" wids. My biggest complaint was that the end eyes were on the large side, allowing the bushing to slide in too easily and possibly 'rattle' and a subsequent failure. My history with bronze wet bushings ain't good. Unfortunately, a previous set and brand from another source were just as bad. I paint over the Made in China just so it wont remind me of the crap being supplied as OEM or aftermarket for our RVs

I was concerned with the bushings sliding into spring eye too easily. I then thought about physics. With all of the weight of the trailer resting on the outside of the bushing, it shouldn't move. The point of least resistance would be the wet bolt on the inside of the bearing, therefore that should logically be the pivot point.

At least that's my take on it IMHO. Any other thoughts?

Dave W
02-10-2020, 09:38 AM
I was concerned with the bushings sliding into spring eye too easily. I then thought about physics. With all of the weight of the trailer resting on the outside of the bushing, it shouldn't move. The point of least resistance would be the wet bolt on the inside of the bearing, therefore that should logically be the pivot point.

The bushing wont rotate but what will happen is that as the spring moves, the shackle bolt will tend to hammer. That hammer spot I found on ours is where the spring eye wrap meets the main spring body in a less then perfect circle at that gap. I also suspect that the end flexes a few thousandths too to hasten the wear. The first set of bronze bushings lasted about 10K miles, thenext were well on the way at about 8K miles. I am giving the LCI polyimide non grease version a try this time as replacing them, while not a big job, is a PITA

flybouy
02-10-2020, 09:48 AM

I think the "least resistance" would be wherever the lowest coefficient of friction is. Whether that's between the rubber of the bushing and the steel of the spring, or the brass insert and the bolt I don't know. I do know that any "loose" fitting area of the bushing if it's between the spring steel and the rubber or poly bushing or if it's between that and the bushing will result in premature wear of the bushing.

notanlines
02-10-2020, 12:40 PM
https://custom-springs.com/
Give them a call. They are top dog in Memphis, woman owned business, they service everything from big rigs on down.

Bigjohnjed
02-24-2020, 02:28 PM
Check out Redneck Trailer supply . I purchased new they were marked made in USA . In fact the 7k axle beam, 12 inch brakes and springs all marked made in USA . Only thing the hubs/ brake drum and rims and tires made in China .....

towin4fun
05-09-2020, 04:10 AM
http://www.superiorspring.net/. Give these guys a call.. Custom made. And they are good at what they do.

CWtheMan
05-09-2020, 08:57 AM
For me this thread is puzzling.

For more than 60 years I've driven cars and trucks and hauled trailers all across the country. From the back roads of rural Maine to the super highways of CA. I've taken boat trailers down back roads loaded with obstacles. Launched them in fresh, brackish and salt waters. Hauled a 14K trailer for 13 years and more than 100,000 miles and have NEVER broken an axle. And someone here carries an extra axle????? I can't say I've never hauled or driven something overloaded but never to the extent the axles were in jeopardy.

So, good luck with American made. Oh, I hauled our fiver on TowMax tires very successfully for about 10 years. When installed they provided about 18% in load capacity reserves and I replaced them every 3 years. Even though they are made in China They were very easy to find where ever we traveled in the USA.

Larryplbg
01-07-2021, 11:12 PM
Well Dexter just lost a lot of respect from me. On our way back home, the front leaf springs break on our 2016 keystone raptor. Between Xmas and New Years they are closed and I left a message on the emergency warranty number because our camper is stranded on the side of the road. No return calls or anything. I’m expecting something. Internet says 5 year warranty. But that 5 year warranty policy went into effect 4 1/2 months after we bought our camper. SO SORRY, RESPECTFULLY WE DENY YOUR CLAIM. And we bought keystone for quality! What a joke!! So we bought our raptor 4/2016 and after the damage the front leaf springs breaking did, we were shown the leaf springs on the center and back axle. FYI, look at your leaf springs. Ours are so fatigued we will be changing them all out on our dime because Dexter axle has a policy. What a total bummer!!
Scared the crap out of me and the family
4 load G rated tires destroyed $200/each
Wheel well covers destroyed by tire destruction
Mobile mechanic bill to make camper mobile enough to get it to a safe location.
One shops estimate of $2000 to replace remaining leaf springs.
MISSED IT BY 4 1/2 months

notanlines
01-08-2021, 04:48 AM
Larry, did you have a question, or just wanting to vent? If your intent was to bring to the public's attention what you perceive as poor products from Dexter then I suggest you log on to Google or another better read forum than a specialty site like this. Plus you might actually get Dexter's attention elsewhere, probably not but it won't happen here.

travelin texans
01-08-2021, 09:42 AM
If your Raptor has triple axles it's not uncommon for the springs to be fatigued &/or break, watch the bind they're in when backing/turning sharply.
Not to mention it's not uncommon for toyhaulers to be overloaded quickly with toys & their required equipment then bind up the axles turning.
Surprised there's not more along the highway with broken springs.

JRTJH
01-08-2021, 09:59 AM
Larry,

Not to minimize your family's inconvenience, I'm sure it was not a "happy weekend", but if your Ford, GM or RAM truck broke a spring on a Saturday before a holiday and you were stranded on the side of the road, if your warranty was 4 1/2 months expired, your "towing company" would tow your truck with the broken spring to the nearest dealer where it would "sit behind the shop until they open on Monday morning"... Then, the shop would say, "Yep, you've got a broken spring," it's 4 1/2 months out of warranty. We can fix it for $$$, sign here to authorize the work."

If you reply with, "But Ford, GM, RAM ought to fix it free under warranty" the dealership will say, "Fight Ford, GM, RAM but we're not going to order parts until somebody pays up-front". And they'll pull your truck "outback until you sign the paperwork saying "do the work and I'm responsible to pay the bill"...

No different from what you are saying happened to you with Dexter. Keystone is completley "out of the picture on this one"......

Cameo
06-16-2023, 05:37 PM
The springs on my dexter axles from Keystone were,,,,, made in china.
snapped clean in half, 4 yr old trailer,,, no where near capacity.
The 4 new ones,,,, made in china
Same! Mine went flat. Trailer was not overloaded. Dexter sent me new ones. They went flat after 1000 miles! Bull crap. I'm trying to find US steel

LHaven
06-16-2023, 09:43 PM
if your warranty was 4 1/2 months expired

No, I think he's saying that Dexter didn't start offering a 5-year warranty until 4 1/2 months after he bought his rig.

JRTJH
06-17-2023, 09:54 AM
No, I think he's saying that Dexter didn't start offering a 5-year warranty until 4 1/2 months after he bought his rig.

Larryplbg's post about his Dexter springs was from January 2021, so at this point in time, this is a 2 1/2 year old thread...

Cameo "revived a dead thread" yesterday, commenting about his "search for USA made springs".

flybouy
06-18-2023, 05:46 AM
Same! Mine went flat. Trailer was not overloaded. Dexter sent me new ones. They went flat after 1000 miles! Bull crap. I'm trying to find US steel

I'd suggest you Google "spring shops near me" or "trailer repair near me". Some spring shops use flat stock and bend them to the required specs. That's likely more money but Typically you'll get a far superior product.