PDA

View Full Version : It pays to do tire checks

JJaxon
02-07-2020, 09:16 AM
Hooked up to my 2018 Carbon so I can drive from Indianapolis to Iowa to trade it in an a 2020 Fuzion 369. My Ram (14k miles) showed my front tire pressures were a bit low and its 23 degrees outside. As I hooked up and pulled out of the indoor storage I knew I had to check my toy hauler tires, so I plugged in my compressor and all 4 were almost normal, added a few pounds. Move to the truck tires and there it was, a nail right on top. Not plugable and firestone has it on the rack now. No one else stocks these tires. Storage place says they will pay for replacement. They have new buildings going up everywhere and I avoid those as much as possible. Good news is I'm eating at McCalisters while my tire is replaced instead of being on the side of the interstate in Illinois looking for a tire.
God is good, if we look hard enough. Pick up the new 369 tomorrow.

Northofu1
02-07-2020, 10:21 AM
Hooked uptown my 2018 Carbon so I can drive from Indianapolis to Iowa to trade it in an a 2020 Fuzion 369. My Ram (14k miles) showed my front tire pressures were a bit low and its 23 degrees outside. As I hooked up and pulled out of the indoor storage I knew I had to check my toy hauler tires, so I plugged in my compressor and all 4 were almost normal, added a few pounds. Move to the truck tire sand there it was, a nail right on top. Not plugable and firestone has it on the rack now. No one else stocks these tires. Storage place says the will pay for replacement. They have new buildings going up everywhere and I avoid those as much as possible. Good news is I'm eating at McCalisters while my tire is replaced instead of being on the side of the interstate in Illinois looking for a tire.
God is good, if we look hard enough. Pick up the new369 tomorrow.

Good work :D

notanlines
02-07-2020, 04:27 PM
I have to ask: I guess Firestone told you it couldn't be plugged?

Customer1
02-07-2020, 06:58 PM
Glad it's working out for you but I think that can be patched, it looks far enough in from the edge. Maybe keep it as a spare?

vampress_me
02-07-2020, 07:06 PM
Can I ask why, if they told you, it wasn’t pluggable? Just curiosity on my part, I like to find out to file away for future reference.

Had a lag screw in a tire on our Explorer a little while ago in the same place complements of MnDOT and road work down in the Cities when I went to pick hubby up at the airport one night. Drove home that night (about 50 miles), found it the next morning, and it was still OK to plug.

JJaxon
02-07-2020, 07:36 PM
The Ram dealer and the tire store both said outside of the outer tread groove is too close to the sidewall and not plugable. $315 and I was on my way. Didnt make it to Iowa tonight, but I'm only 3 hours away now. A plug on a heavy tire and driving in snow at 29° tonight,,,, new tires peace of mind.

travelin texans
02-07-2020, 07:36 PM
Curious as well why it couldn't be plugged, but definitely appears it could've been patched.

flybouy
02-07-2020, 07:53 PM
About a year and half ago I had a puncture in just about the same location. The tire was a 20" Pirelli Scorpion on the back of the 150 KR. I was planning on replacing the tires in 6 to 8 months.

The independent tire dealer close to me who sells and services tires on everything from a wheelbarrow to an 18 wheeler. Charged me $25 and that was with dismounting, properly installing a combo partch plug from the inside, remounting and rebalancing.

JRTJH
02-08-2020, 06:57 AM
If the "storage place is paying for the replacement tire" then I suppose there's not an out of pocket expense, you get a new tire and only spent a few bucks at McCallister's for lunch. Win/win for you.

That said, I'm with the previous posters when it comes to "pluggability" of that tire. The outer edge of the "zone" begins at the "cutout stipends" along the inside tread rib. In your photo, that looks to be around 1" further lateral than your puncture. It should be repairable, unless there's damage that's not disclosed in the photo.

At any rate, so long as it didn't cost you anything but lunch and an hour or so, that wasn't overly painful and nothing "permanently bent, banged or scratched"...

midmo
02-08-2020, 09:41 AM
Thank you for sharing and glad it worked out for you. Enjoy the 369!!!

+Ruff Rider
02-09-2020, 06:33 AM
I always do a tire check before hitting the road.

JJaxon
02-09-2020, 08:05 AM
I do too now. On another incident, picked up said NEW 369 yesterday. Was 479 miles from home, 3pm, pull out of dealer lot and my tpms alarms. New 5th wheel left front tire- 35lbs. Should be 80psi. Pull back in, check it with my guage, 34lbs. I go inside the office and tell them I'm not gone yet.... a worker gets her air compressor and wheels it out, airs up all 4 at my direction. Said she didn't get a chance to do it earlier. �� A clue,,, theres more story for another day.

Hblick48
02-09-2020, 09:08 AM
When checking tires, also look at the inside of the tires. The attached is what I found on the inside after completing 1,000 mile trip. Another had side delamination without the tear. The third had a nail where the side and tread meet, and the forth (which had two punctures previously repaired) has tread separation.

Just lucky that we didn't have a blow out. These were load range F, rig originally shipped with load range E. I've now installed ALL STEEL load range G.

Badbart56
02-09-2020, 09:48 AM
Here ya go:

https://www.tireindustry.org/tire-maintenance/tire-repair

Hblick48
02-09-2020, 09:55 AM
Here ya go:

https://www.tireindustry.org/tire-maintenance/tire-repair

Both punctures were repaired by one of the largest tire chains on the west coast. Very reputable and tires were dismounted and properly patched. A China bomb is still a China bomb!

SummitPond
02-09-2020, 06:20 PM
Curious as well why it couldn't be plugged, but definitely appears it could've been patched.

Education for me, please.

I have understood that radials could not be plugged, only patched. Of course, my information is 40+ years old. All my punctures (to date) have been patched, and these have all been P tires, not LT.

What is different between a 40 year old radial (that, per my memory, can't be plugged) and the newer ones that can be plugged, or am I just improperly remembering?

Thanks.

+Ruff Rider
02-10-2020, 07:11 AM
Both punctures were repaired by one of the largest tire chains on the west coast. Very reputable and tires were dismounted and properly patched. A China bomb is still a China bomb!
I got a set of new Goodyears on my truck last year. You know the ones with Kevlar. LOL
I went out and was looking at the numbers on the tire and was surprised to see they were made in Korea.
You may be surprised at where tires are made. With all this EPA crap we cant make some products here in America anymore. I guess tires is one of them.

JRTJH
02-10-2020, 07:48 AM

I have understood that radials could not be plugged, only patched. Of course, my information is 40+ years old. All my punctures (to date) have been patched, and these have all been P tires, not LT.

What is different between a 40 year old radial (that, per my memory, can't be plugged) and the newer ones that can be plugged, or am I just improperly remembering?

Thanks.

I think the procedure has changed several times through the years. Initially, radials had nylon/polyester cords and could be plugged with a patch on the inside (and/or a plug through the puncture depending on size of the puncture), then steel belts were introduced and "plugging would further damage the steel belt" so it was patch on the inside only, then they realized the steel belts were exposed to corrosion through the "original puncture" so they developed a third process, internal patch with a "small, sealing plug through the puncture".

I could be way off-base, but I think that's "sort of" the way radial tire repair has evolved.

flybouy
02-10-2020, 07:49 AM

Thanks.

I think first you have to define "plugged". If you're thinking then old "strips' of leather, rubber, or whatever with glue on it" then no. I wouldn't use them on anything.

My understanding is a combination patch/plug applied from inside the tire is the only "proper" repair. That "plug" will seal the hole, and the joint between the inner liner and where that tread is adhered to it.

SummitPond
02-10-2020, 03:32 PM
I think the procedure has changed several times through the years. Initially, radials had nylon/polyester cords and could be plugged with a patch on the inside (and/or a plug through the puncture depending on size of the puncture), then steel belts were introduced and "plugging would further damage the steel belt" so it was patch on the inside only, then they realized the steel belts were exposed to corrosion through the "original puncture" so they developed a third process, internal patch with a "small, sealing plug through the puncture".

I could be way off-base, but I think that's "sort of" the way radial tire repair has evolved.

I think first you have to define "plugged". If you're thinking then old "strips' of leather, rubber, or whatever with glue on it" then no. I wouldn't use them on anything.

My understanding is a combination patch/plug applied from inside the tire is the only "proper" repair. That "plug" will seal the hole, and the joint between the inner liner and where that tread is adhered to it.

Thanks guys.

I guess the definition of plug has changed; I was thinking when they used to punch a larger hole in the tire and insert the plug from the outside. It makes much more sense the way you describe it. Nomenclature!:dizzy:

notanlines
02-10-2020, 03:38 PM
I ran company trucks on and off construction sites for almost 35 years. Believe me, with wages what they are, there isn't time to have a crew stop what is making us money to truck on down to the friendly Goodyear dealer and buy a new tire. We have plugged dozens and dozens of tires over the years and never had one fail. When it comes to the RV world, particularly the OP's tire, unless the tire had additional damage on the inside, I firmly believe that tire could have been pugged. In his particular situation I see why he chose the route he did.

JJaxon
02-15-2020, 05:29 AM
Update- the trip went well, no tire issues. I went to my storage unit the other day, policed the ground in front of mine and the 2 stalls beside me. In the gravel I pulled 2 hands full on framing nails, cap staples, and screws, then went to the office. Giving them the debris and my tire replacement receipt, they said they will reimburse me the $318. They also said they will get a magnet truck or something out there. I haven't followed up on the magnet truck, but I know with hundreds of class A and 5th wheel RVs on site, they need to get on it.