PDA

View Full Version : East Coast National Park Road Trip

levic900rr
02-05-2020, 06:55 AM
We are planning our first road trip with our new 239ML. We will do a full shake down weekend prior but this will be pretty soon after we pick it up. This will be during April school break.

Leg 1 Northern VT to Shenandoah

Leg 2 Shenandoah to Smokeys

Leg 3 Smokeys to Mammoth Caves

Leg 4 Mammoth to Cuyahoga Valley

Leg 5 Cuyahoga to Home!

Two years ago we went down to Assateague, which is really our only experience with a longer road trip. It went really well, thank goodness for Harry Potter audio books :)

I'm looking for recommendations on campgrounds, one caveat is that I am going to be working from the road so I need to stay inside the cell coverage zone for most of the trip. There will be times where we are exploring the parks that I can be off the grid but I need a home base where I can retreat and have good connectivity.

Thanks!

JRTJH
02-05-2020, 07:30 AM
I would guess the "spring break" is a week of no school ???

If that's the case, then you've got 9 days of "vacation".

The trip you outlined is roughly 2200 miles. The reality is that at an average 50MPH, you'll be "in the truck" for 44+ hours. IMHO, if you thought the need for "Harry Potter audio books" was significant before, you're talking 5 of 9 days with 10 hours of driving.

That's likely to turn into an "ambitious (in truck) journey" with little time for "exploring at the stops".

Can it be done? Sure, but the question would be: Is there enough time to enjoy where we stop?

You might find the family enjoys a shorter trip with longer stays at fewer stops.

levic900rr
02-05-2020, 08:22 AM
I would guess the "spring break" is a week of no school ???

If that's the case, then you've got 9 days of "vacation".

The trip you outlined is roughly 2200 miles. The reality is that at an average 50MPH, you'll be "in the truck" for 44+ hours. IMHO, if you thought the need for "Harry Potter audio books" was significant before, you're talking 5 of 9 days with 10 hours of driving.

That's likely to turn into an "ambitious (in truck) journey" with little time for "exploring at the stops".

Can it be done? Sure, but the question would be: Is there enough time to enjoy where we stop?

You might find the family enjoys a shorter trip with longer stays at fewer stops.

John,

That is good advice, you are correct that it is a week out of school, but the plan at this point is to leave Thursday after school the week before to get a head start. Bang out the big drive day one to have a little breathing room the rest of the trip. I'm still dialing in the actual itinerary to figure out if we need to drop a destination.

flybouy
02-05-2020, 10:00 AM
Three years ago at the end of March the DW & I did a similar (in mileage and general locations) trip. Departed home (about 20 miles up I 95 NE of Baltimore) and stopped around Luray VA off I81 first night.
Rolled in to Dollywood area on day 2. Visited the park day 3. Day 4 was Gatlinburg and traveled the "Artist Route" I believe it was called a road where artist sell their wares from their homes.
Day 5 was travel to Loretta Lynn's ranch with day 6 touring her museum and day 7 relaxing and exploring the area.
Day 8 was traveling to Memphis TN and setting up camp at Tom Sawyer's CG across the Mississippi in AR. Day 9 was touring Civil Rights Museum and eating famous Memphis ribs. Day 10 was exploring Memphis (waved at Graceland, not an Elvis fan), and seeing the sights.
Day 11 traveled to Bowling Green KY and camped close to Crystal Caves. Day 12. explored and did some shopping and stopped into the Corvette Museum. Day 13 went into caves and did the "tourist" thing.
Day 14 traveled to Milton, WV. Day 15 visited Hillbilly Hot Dog in Lesage and visited the Blenko Glass CO in Milton. Day 16 we headed to Weston, WV to see the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum in Weston, WV (supposedly a very haunted place). Unfortunately the CG's in the are were not open so I bit the bullet and continued another 300 miles and came home.
Total mileage round trip was right around 2,200 miles. Speed was steady 65 sometimes 70, some 60 in heavier traffic. No children just DW and 2 dogs that traveled very well so not a lot of stops along the way. Would refuel when unhitched except final leg home.

Our last leg home should have been 2 days as I drove about 10 hrs that day. I drove across WV to Elkins, crossed the mountains on very steep, switchbacked narrow roads to Seneca Rocks, then over to I81 with no shoulders to Stevens City, VA.

The ONLY reason I took that route was the fact it's a road I traveled 50+ years going on hunting trips and visiting relatives and know every turn, every hill. The truck and camper were gone thru with acute attention to all safety/running gear.

My point to this lengthy post is that I can tell you from experience that attempting that trip in less than about 12-13 days you will be waving at the attractions as you pass by. Driving long durations with children will wear on the Kids. Typically their tolerance will diminish a little more each day. I wish you safe travels and much enjoyment.

levic900rr
02-05-2020, 10:08 AM
Another vote for shortening the trip! I think we need to choose between the Shenandoah area, or the Cuyahoga area. Just too much ground to cover in one week.

travelin texans
02-05-2020, 11:05 AM
Another vote for shortening the trip! I think we need to choose between the Shenandoah area, or the Cuyahoga area. Just too much ground to cover in one week.

Not to mention this early in the season the weather may not cooperate with your planned 10 hour driving days turning into 12+ hours, you'll be sick of listening to Harry Potter & so will the kiddos.
By the time that week is over you'll need a vacation to relax & unwind, which would be my recommendation this planned week.

levic900rr
02-05-2020, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I am going to shorten up the trip for sure. Thinking about just going to Shenandoah and maybe pick something else to see in Virginia.

flybouy
02-05-2020, 01:46 PM
Don't know your children's ages or interests but Luray Caverns is popular. There's a couple CG's close by including a Yogi Bear.

LHaven
02-05-2020, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I am going to shorten up the trip for sure. Thinking about just going to Shenandoah and maybe pick something else to see in Virginia.

Did S NH to N VA last fall, and needed two intermediate overnights in PA, so I applaud this decision!

travelin texans
02-05-2020, 06:51 PM
Don't know your children's ages or interests but Luray Caverns is popular. There's a couple CG's close by including a Yogi Bear.

Your kids will enjoy Yogi Bear parks much more than several 10-12 hour days of Harry Potter.

flybouy
02-05-2020, 08:27 PM
If you are traversing PA I'd highly recommend Knoebels Amusement park https://www.knoebels.com/

It's like stepping back in time, great rides, great food, reasonable prices. Admission is free and you can take your dog with you if leashed. They have a campground where a great wooden roller coaster is partially on the cg. A water slide borders the cg and a train goes thru it. You can walk into the park from the cg and they run a shuttle bus thru the cg as well. As you can imagine reservations are needed and if they are booked (they always are) just keep calling. People will book the first of the year and often cancel or change dates.

The park is the friendliest and safest I've ever seen. They also own a second cg nearby with free shuttle service to the park.

levic900rr
02-06-2020, 07:21 AM
If you are traversing PA I'd highly recommend Knoebels Amusement park https://www.knoebels.com/

It's like stepping back in time, great rides, great food, reasonable prices. Admission is free and you can take your dog with you if leashed. They have a campground where a great wooden roller coaster is partially on the cg. A water slide borders the cg and a train goes thru it. You can walk into the park from the cg and they run a shuttle bus thru the cg as well. As you can imagine reservations are needed and if they are booked (they always are) just keep calling. People will book the first of the year and often cancel or change dates.

The park is the friendliest and safest I've ever seen. They also own a second cg nearby with free shuttle service to the park.

That place looks really cool, unfortunately they open for the season the week after our break...

Any other ideas for cool stuff to see on PA? My daughter is 10. We were considering a baseball game but it looks like camping in or around Philly is tough.

spade117
02-06-2020, 07:31 AM
Your kids will enjoy Yogi Bear parks much more than several 10-12 hour days of Harry Potter.

Agreed. But your wallet will not.

travelin texans
02-06-2020, 07:59 AM

They are pricey, but what they save in possibly a 1000 miles of travel will easily pay for it.
And no kids in the backseat arguing...... priceless!

flybouy
02-06-2020, 10:27 AM

Agreed but for kids most of the Yogi Bear Parks have a ton of activities for the kids. It's not worth the money for the DW & I unless we are going to have the grand kids with us. One in Quarryville PA has the air bounce, water slides, laser tag, etc.

flybouy
02-06-2020, 10:39 AM
That place looks really cool, unfortunately they open for the season the week after our break...

Any other ideas for cool stuff to see on PA? My daughter is 10. We were considering a baseball game but it looks like camping in or around Philly is tough.

Philly is tough. Our one daughter lives in the Philly area and we would camp at the "Philadelphia KOA" but it's a hike to downtown Philly. What route(s) are you considering thru PA?

Hershey has their factory and amusement park and a campground with shuttle service to the park in Hershey, PA, not sure of their schedule.
Lancaster, PA is Amish country and has tons of family stuff and campgrounds. Next to Lancaster is Strasburg (Ronks, PA) and there is a steam train https://www.strasburgrailroad.com/ride/at-a-glance/
and the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania is right down the street https://rrmuseumpa.org/

That's a start I guess.

levic900rr
02-10-2020, 08:04 AM
Spent some time planning this weekend and I think we have solved our time issue. Looks like we are going to revert to our original route, but we'll pull my daughter out of school a week early. That will give us 16 full days.

Thanks for all the info.

flybouy
02-10-2020, 08:15 AM
Enjoy your trip!

JimSchwenk
02-16-2020, 09:02 AM
Philly is tough. Our one daughter lives in the Philly area and we would camp at the "Philadelphia KOA" but it's a hike to downtown Philly. What route(s) are you considering thru PA?

Hershey has their factory and amusement park and a campground with shuttle service to the park in Hershey, PA, not sure of their schedule.
Lancaster, PA is Amish country and has tons of family stuff and campgrounds. Next to Lancaster is Strasburg (Ronks, PA) and there is a steam train https://www.strasburgrailroad.com/ride/at-a-glance/
and the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania is right down the street https://rrmuseumpa.org/

That's a start I guess.

One other place to consider is French Creek State Park, although it's in Birdsboro, about 30 40 miles down 422 or US 30/202 to Philly. You really can't go wrong staying at any PA state park, they are pretty well maintained and reasonably priced. The website goes under "DCNR", just Google PA DCNR and you'll get the whole thing.
Good luck and have fun. My late wife and I did a shakedown stay with a then-new Dutchman Aerolite at French Creek a few years back (I live in northern Berks County). That's where I discovered on a late winter night the importance of making sure your camper is set up for cold weather and the LP tanks have actually been purged upon delivery (thanks Boat n RV for freezing my a$$ off).
I'll second the vote on Knoebels. And I've camped there, too.Think of it as "convenient" camping, not exactly a lot of space or peace and quiet, but you are literally in the park. And it's a wonderful family-friendly place; worth a trip to just go there with the kiddies.

Mainer
02-16-2020, 09:37 AM
IMHO you will never forget the "Are we there yet" on a trip this long and fast.

I'd suggest skipping Mammoth Cave and The Smokies. It took us seven days to get from Maine through Shenandoah.

You could hit Delaware Water Gap on the way down, Tour Luray caverns, have lots to do in Shenandoah and if you still have time Cuyahoga Valley, but it is somewhat out of the way.

Just getting out of the northwest entrance of the Smokies can take a half a day, 4 packed lanes each way through DollyVille and did not see a way to bypass it.

Kids are grown now, so we smell the flowers when we go.

Good Luck!

notanlines
02-16-2020, 11:35 AM
I might be inclined to agree on both points Mainer made. Caves are very similar in one respect to castles in Europe: If you've seen one, you've seen them all. The Smokie Mountains are more a destination site. Yes, plenty entertaining, but it needs its own vacation.

FlyingAroundRV
02-16-2020, 01:05 PM
We went to most of the places you mentioned an are in the process of uploading the videos we took. Have a look here
https://youtu.be/2LU_RMH-U-I

johnlewis
02-19-2020, 10:03 PM

Check out https://www.campgroundreviews.com/. They have reviews of campgrounds in the areas where you want to stay, including state parks, federal parks, etc. You'll find out what amenities are available, what campers think of the park, and a link to the campground's website, so you can call to reserve, or make the reservation online.

Enjoy your vacation!

levic900rr
03-11-2020, 07:13 AM
So the more I think about a two week trip we just might pin it and go further south to get some warm weather. Anyone know any good campgrounds near the Everglades?