PDA

View Full Version : Solid Step opinion

Scott in Michigan
02-05-2020, 05:32 AM
Would anyone want to share their experience with the one piece Solid Step?

I'm thinking of retrofitting our Cougar with them.

How do you handle dirt that falls off & enters the camper when they are stowed?

Our German Shepherd is a little leery of the OEM fold out steps we have now. Are there any pet owners who have experience with these?

Thanks, Scott.

chuckster57
02-05-2020, 05:45 AM
The one downfall that you can’t overcome is they need about 3feet of clearance to deploy. People either love them or hate them. I personally would look into glow steps. Not cheap but no holes in the floor, and the door still closes easily. Picture for reference only

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Steps/TorkLift/TLA7834.html?feed=npn&msclkid=3de0d903aaf71e86922687396c038b1c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%20%7C%20Shop%20-%20Trailer%20Hitch%20-%20Mobile%20-%201%20-%20Generic&utm_term=4577198189497414&utm_content=Torklift

fatcatzzz
02-05-2020, 05:50 AM
We love ours. Added the optional handrail and it is very stable. As for dirt, we brush off the steps before we close. We also keep a small rug inside to catch any dirt we missed. Just shake the rug and all is good.
Some may say that opening the steps takes more room, but we have traveled the country and not had a problem. I guess if you had the trailer in a narrow storage yard it may be a problem, but for us it has not been.
As for pets, some put carpet on the treads and some don't. We have a small dog so we carry her up and down. She is getting old, like me.

Laredo Tugger
02-05-2020, 06:44 AM
After looking at both the solid and Glow Step designs, I went with the retractable Glow Steps. Granted, there will not be many situations where you will be parked so close to another camper, tree ect...that solid steps will not work, but for us the extendable steps are perfect.
I went form the factory installed 3 step configuration (which was starting to cause pain in DWs bad hip joint) to a 4 step design with less incline. We are very happy with this change. As for the dog, the reduced incline and added material to the steps (carpet?) should help. I have no pets,but can not see where this should be a problem with a German Shepherd size dog.
RMc

Tbos
02-05-2020, 07:06 AM
I have the Lippert solid steps and do as noted earlier. The Lippert top step is deeper and provides a nicer platform than the other brand. We just wish off the dirt and if they are wet we put a towel down too. We love how solid they are.

dutchmensport
02-05-2020, 09:26 AM
We've had the old style folding steps on all of our previous campers. But our current 5er came factory installed with the Moryde steps.

Personally, I really like the solid steps. They are extremely stable and can hold an enormous amount of weight. My last 3 TT steps all had shake, and one set of steps even separated at a weld on the frame.

About dirt: Simply sweep them off before folding up. No problem. Sometimes dirt will get caught under the threshold that folds up with the steps (between that flat metal part and the actual floor. A small paint brush works well to sweep anything under there out into the main floor area. No problem. When you lift the steps up, most of the dirt slides off anyway.

About that 3 foot space needed to extend them. Yes, you need that 3 foot space to extend them. If you park your camper under cover, in a narrow garage or a narrow RV port, or park it in storage facility, in tight beside the camper beside you, the Moryde steps are NOT for you. If the distance between the camper and the next adjacent object is no problem, then you'll do fine!

The other down-side to these steps is if you are parked on a hill, or a slope and your camper is long. The steps come with an insert sliding foot that is notched every inch. If the camper is parked in such a situation, it's possible the steps might not be long enough to reach the ground, even with the foot extended to it's max. But even the Glow Steps could have this same problem if the camper is parked on uneven ground enough.

The bigger problem is if the steps are too long. Parked on dirt, gravel, grass, or sand, it's not too big of a problem. You simply dig a hold in the ground for the feet to rest in. But if you are on asphalt or concrete, you won't be able to dig a hole.

We have both a front door and a back door and we've never been in a position where at least one of the door did not work OK. If you have 2 doors in your camper and either situation above applies to one door, (too long or too short), then you simply keep the steps in the up position and use the other door. If you have only 1 door and the steps are too long or too short, you'll need to find other ways to adjust.

Indiana State Parks offers some interesting campsites. You can almost guarantee you'll get a site that is not level front to back, which makes the distance from the ground to the bottom of the trailer door different every where you go. But, we've always figured a way to use the steps.

These are the pros and cons. Personally, we really like the solid steps!

xrated
02-05-2020, 09:31 AM
My trailer came with the Lippert Solid Step and I removed it early on and replaced it with the TorkLift Glow steps. One big reason is that when our trailer is backed into the RV Carport there simply wasn't enough room to deploy the solid steps....zero issues with the Glow steps. I've got mine for sale if anyone is interested. It's the 4 step version and is like new.

goducks
02-05-2020, 09:47 AM
If you have a two door TT then it won't matter where you're parked.
Once setup at a CG spot the Solid Step is far superior to any fold out except the TorkGlow. But at roughly $300 more than the Solid Steps they better be as good.

flybouy
02-05-2020, 11:02 AM
Our camper came equipped with Lippert manual pull out steps. We've always used the carpet tread covers for several reasons. Trap dirt, cooler on the dogs paws than the black painted metal, and it covers the drain holes. If a dog get's their nail stuck in one of those holes it can be very painful and even rip off the nail.

Installed a self storing step stabilizer on the bottom of each step. Fold them down, adjust the stabilizer so it's "firm" on the ground and it's very solid. Never had a dog (small, large, young or old)refuse to climb the steps. This works for us, YMMV.

We carry 2 folding steps (1 for each door) that's adjustable from about 4" legs folded to 8" legs down. Some "Lego" blocks can level the steps on uneven ground.

K_N_L
02-05-2020, 12:39 PM
Ours came with the Morryde unit and once we're at a campground its great. Travel stops are tricky as you need over 3 foot from other vehicles for them swing them out, then about 3 foot of side clearance. We can enter via the rear garage door but when our steps are up they block access to the in-command panel, which you have to access first to disable the travel lock out (then you can use the phone app). They will dump some dirt / water inside the entry way. But the dogs loves them , and I not not bounced off them and twisted anything like I have done on the fold out units.

LHaven
02-05-2020, 04:55 PM
Our Cougar came with the Solid Steps on one door, which was a surprise to us. We had been planning to have our dealer add them anyway, because I'm a heavy guy, and DW needs the stability.

Yeah, they dump sand into the rig when stowed, most of it from on top of the footpads at the bottom of the leg. When I'm stowing, I'll lift them halfway, then give them a couple shakes up and down, which makes almost all the sand fall through the footpads. The rest we just live with. We did Command-hook a classic whisk broom to the wall right beside them, where we can reach it when the stairs are in the way.

We've camped in a number of places where the legs, fully extended, just don't reach, and have had to both block up the legs and add a stepstool as a new bottom step for the DW. I'm always worried she'll trip on it on the way down.

We do appreciate being able to extend both legs differently when there's any sort of uneven ground under the door area.

I'd love to try out the Glow Steps if I could find some at an RV show, to see if we would have liked them better. (Of course, there's always the other door!)

Mikendebbie
02-05-2020, 05:11 PM
Our unit came with moryde steps and we like them - but I wish we had the Lippert steps with the wide top step. We tried the assist rail accessory but the rail hits the corner of the coffee bar base cabinet across from the entry door. Took it back for a refund.

Steve's 70-5
02-09-2020, 05:34 PM
As soon as I can measure the door in the camper I will be purchasing new steps and replacing the Morryde steps

sourdough
02-09-2020, 05:46 PM
As soon as I can measure the door in the camper I will be purchasing new steps and replacing the Morryde steps

Replacing with different solid steps or ?? Did you have a particular issue with the Morryde? I'm trying to assess a yet unknown situation.

bobbecky
02-09-2020, 08:16 PM
We don't have any pets, but a couple months ago installed the Torklift GlowStep Revolution Steps on our rig, along with the removable GlowGuide Handrail, which is a great upgrade. They also have available a product called SafeStep, which helps animals negotiate Rv steps, whether they are the TorkLift steps or other brands. This might help with your German Shepherd. If the springboard effect of the foldout steps is the problem, these GlowStep Revolution steps are rock solid with a 375 lb rating and don't have to be stored inside the trailer.

https://www.torklift.com/rv/safestep

rodgebone
02-13-2020, 11:13 AM
fatcatzzz: for dirt, we brush off the steps before we close. We also keep a small rug inside to catch any dirt we missed. Just shake the rug and all is good.
Some may say that opening the steps takes more room, but we have traveled the country and not had a problem.

ive had the same experience. my TT came with the MORryde solid steps. ive never not had enough room to deploy and out of hundreds of deployments only once have i not been able to extend the legs long enough to reach the ground but was a quick fix with some leveling pads. took me a while to remember to fully open the door when deploying and retracting and therefore i do have a few scratches as a result but no real damage. i use carpet on the steps to cut down on dirt coming into the TT. my dog navigates the steps okay but like with most dogs having an open space on the backside between steps screws up their depth perception but it didnt take him long to get accustomed. guess my only complaint is the need to fine tune the adjustable legs so the bottom of the door will fully clear the hinge plate but it only takes seconds to get it right. all in all im happy with these steps

Nitehawk
02-13-2020, 12:56 PM
The one downfall that you can’t overcome is they need about 3feet of clearance to deploy. People either love them or hate them. I personally would look into glow steps. Not cheap but no holes in the floor, and the door still closes easily. Picture for reference only

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Steps/TorkLift/TLA7834.html?feed=npn&msclkid=3de0d903aaf71e86922687396c038b1c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%20%7C%20Shop%20-%20Trailer%20Hitch%20-%20Mobile%20-%201%20-%20Generic&utm_term=4577198189497414&utm_content=Torklift

This is what I installed for a few reasons.
1 no dirt inside trailer
2 requires less space to use.
3 very solid
4 simple to install
5. Has a few option available including hand rails and kick plates.
6 made of aluminum
7 can add or remove step if I decide to buy another trailer

I bought mine direct from torx and they matched the lowest online price I could find with free shipping

Fuzion 369
02-15-2020, 05:40 AM
Our Fuzion came with the solid step in the main door and the fold out in the garage. We love it. The dogs have no problem with and prefer it the fold out in the garage. There is just enough room in between 5th wheel and fence on our side yard to open it and our slides. Lucky I guess. As far as glamping with them we have never had an issue with clearance or not being able to adjust to level.

Philipclopez
10-11-2020, 01:34 AM
I am using Camco step rugs. These are great for keeping dirt and sand out of the camper.

Kidsmakeyoucrazy
10-12-2020, 12:44 PM
They came on my trailer. I love how solid they are and so does my dog...but I think I would go with something different if I were retrofitting. I recently ran into an issue with a very tight campsite with a deck....I had to remove both legs to deploy the steps.

Bill-2020
10-12-2020, 01:00 PM
Would anyone want to share their experience with the one piece Solid Step?

I'm thinking of retrofitting our Cougar with them.

How do you handle dirt that falls off & enters the camper when they are stowed?

Our German Shepherd is a little leery of the OEM fold out steps we have now. Are there any pet owners who have experience with these?

Thanks, Scott.

Well known to some, Dogs hate being able to see “through” the steps. Hang something on the back of the steps blocking the ability for the dog to see through the steps - it’ll solve that issue.

We have the moryde version that attaches to two brackets below the door. They show away in the pass through.

Javi
10-12-2020, 01:46 PM
We (including Max) love ours.
I have added the railing and will be adding the lift assist shortly..
I've found that if I'm not terribly critical, I rarely have to adjust the legs.. once in seven trips so far.. but most of our campsites are wide and flat-ish...
The covered storage I use is wide enough that I can open both slides so deployment of the steps is a non-issue.

MerlinB
10-12-2020, 04:24 PM
You asked for opinions and here is mine. I don't have any experience with the "Solid Steps" and I don't intend to get any.

Those and the MorRyde "Step Above" steps are a definite deal breaker for me.

And, here's why: I will not have a set of steps that folds up inside of the door of my trailer for two reasons:

1. I don't want all of the dirt and other stuff on the steps dumped inside of my trailer.

2. Sometimes, I find it necessary to get inside my trailer without deploying the steps.

I have the Torklift Glow Steps on my rig and I am very pleased with them. They are solid as a rock. They have three adjustment levels at the top and five at the bottom. Are they more expensive? Yes. About twice the cost of the Lippert or MorRyde steps. You get what you pay for.

That's my opinion.

YMMV.

dljs1941
10-17-2020, 03:47 PM
My Bullet 273BHS came with the Lippert solid steps. Previous campers had the traditional fold downs. As mentioned several times in this post, the solid steps are very secure, but IMO the negatives outweigh the positives. Here are mine:

1. you need more room to deploy them
2. If the legs adjustments are too long, you can't close the door.
3. you must have the door and screen completely open to store or open the steps
4. The biggest negative are the pins provided to set the adjustments for the legs. Make sure you have a set of plyers to pull them. Even the tech at the RV dealership was cursing when showing me how to adjust them. Why couldn't Keystone include pins with a pull ring? I have yet to find some. It's actually easier to use a common nail instead of the pins.

Anyway, that's just me. Others on this thread are very positive about them.

Javi
10-17-2020, 04:23 PM
My Bullet 273BHS came with the Lippert solid steps. Previous campers had the traditional fold downs. As mentioned several times in this post, the solid steps are very secure, but IMO the negatives outweigh the positives. Here are mine:

1. you need more room to deploy them
2. If the legs adjustments are too long, you can't close the door.
3. you must have the door and screen completely open to store or open the steps
4. The biggest negative are the pins provided to set the adjustments for the legs. Make sure you have a set of plyers to pull them. Even the tech at the RV dealership was cursing when showing me how to adjust them. Why couldn't Keystone include pins with a pull ring? I have yet to find some. It's actually easier to use a common nail instead of the pins.

Anyway, that's just me. Others on this thread are very positive about them.
Note the pins are only there to keep the legs from moving while the step is raised or lowered, once the weight of the steps are on the legs they won't move. So technically you could use pretty much anything even a nail.

LHaven
10-17-2020, 06:21 PM
The biggest negative are the pins provided to set the adjustments for the legs. Make sure you have a set of plyers to pull them. Even the tech at the RV dealership was cursing when showing me how to adjust them. Why couldn't Keystone include pins with a pull ring? I have yet to find some. It's actually easier to use a common nail instead of the pins.

I find the pins a pain to wrangle (I probably ought to remember to lube mine), but not because I can't grab them. The pins are long enough that you just whack the far end of the pin with the heel of your hand, and the head pops right out the other side. Plenty of grab room.

If you really do want pins with rings, Tractor Supply carries a massive selection of different sizes and lengths.

And, of course, your beef there is not with Keystone, but with Lippert.

I've never run into the problem of the legs being too long to store inside the trailer. Often, we can't get the legs long enough to reach the ground on a hillside campsite, I have to block them up with Legos and add an extra step-equivalent at the bottom. At their max length, they still fit easily inside the height of the door frame. But it's possible that your model has more steps than mine does.

EMTPRescue
02-26-2021, 12:59 PM
2019 3790RD Montana 5th. Parked at a full time RV spot for most of the time. We have an elevated deck that runs the entire length of our RV. We park the RV directly beside that deck. The MorRyde Step Above would not work. Yes, we could open the door but the deck being 18" above the ground would not allow the step to fold down to ground level which rendered the system useless and stopped me from being able to close the door.

Not realizing this until I was backing the trailer in, I initially was forced to remove the step. Heavy and awkward is being kind. Why have they not used extruded aluminum? The system in my mind is too heavy and was built to address a small portion of the RV market place while creating problems for the rest of us. The weight and inconvenience of having to modify where or how you use your RV in my mind defeats the purpose of the system. I spent over $1500.00 modifying my deck to accommodate the step. That expenditure was not in my budget when we bought the RV.

Snow, ice, dirt and water all fall into the trailer when it is lifted into place. Grand Design actually put a quick connect outside water source on the door side to address this problem. Again why fix what isn't broke!

It has been very cold up here in the great white north over last month. -30 day time highs for weeks on end. Texas, you got nothing on us. When the weather finally broke I went up to check on the trailer. Since I was last up my front landing gear had retracted. Our step system had been deployed. As they were on the ground they did not move when the trailer came down. The stairs were bent and the bottom or sill of the door was damaged as well.

Long story short, the system has lots of sizzle with very little steak. I am not a fan. It creates far more problems than it fixes.

Sarge2
02-26-2021, 02:36 PM
Mine came with the solid steps and we love them... we don't have the assisted ones so it's manual up and down... but the wife can do it fairly easy. Having never had any other type, can't really say anything bad about them other than getting it level.... leg adjustment can be a bit trying when setting up... :lol:

Scott in Michigan
02-26-2021, 06:40 PM
EMTPRescue,

Thanks for your observations. I have a distinct feeling I would encounter the same conditions and experience, looking ahead at how we intend to be RV'ing in a couple years.

BTW, I still hold my medic license. Best job I ever had. I think back on it often.

Scott

Javi
02-26-2021, 09:59 PM
Mine came with the solid steps and we love them... we don't have the assisted ones so it's manual up and down... but the wife can do it fairly easy. Having never had any other type, can't really say anything bad about them other than getting it level.... leg adjustment can be a bit trying when setting up... :lol:
The assist will really make it painless. It will just hang at whatever level you stop it

JDDilly
02-27-2021, 08:11 AM
I love the solid steps. We are at a seasonal site all summer and also have a deck. I had to get 2 2 X 12s for each side to raise the camper 3". The steps work great. That was a lot easier then changing the deck. Before folding up the stems, I use my leaf blower to clean them up. However, if raining, there can be a little water. I added the hand railing to them which was a great addition. As someone with health/mobility issues, they really help.

dblanch57
02-27-2021, 08:57 AM
I have the glow steps and I love them. However, has anyone tried to put heaters on them for winter camping. Mine iced up last year at deer camp and I had to take the DW hair dryer and melt the ice before I could fold them in.

LewisB
02-27-2021, 09:08 AM
Our 2018 Raptor came with the MORryde solid steps in the main front door and the standard fold out steps in the rear door. I'm not a fan of the solid steps for most of the "disadvantages" listed in prior posts.

Additionally no one has mentioned the possibility of these steps DESTROYING your main entry door if they are deployed and something or someone happens to adjust your hydraulic levelers. See the attached warning that came with my steps from MORryde which states;

[QUOTE MORryde]
"Before starting any (raising or lowering) leveling operation, either:

Open the entrance door fully, including the screen door and tie it back so it can’t close, OR
Stow the steps completely and shut the entrance door. Doing either of these this is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL in order to stop possible damage to the steps and door.

Q: What happens if I don’t use the tip above?
A: You might force the steps upward. In that event, with the entrance door closed, the steps have nowhere to go but up and into the door. Severe damage can occur to the steps and the door.
Q: What allows potential damage to occur?
A: When the jacks are retracted (manual or auto-retract operation) and if the door side of the coach was raised up by any amount at all, the coach will then lower down as the door side jacks retract. If the steps are deployed (out / down) and the entrance door is closed and you then retract the door side jacks, the steps will have no place to go but up into the entrance door itself. When the steps contact the door, the pressure the steps are applying to the door can damage the steps and the entrance door.[End Quote]

I recommend you NOT put the front jacks into your iN.Command system to avoid the possibility of "butt dialing" your leveling jacks with your phone app. I'd also recommend you not leave these steps deployed when leaving your trailer for an extended period (e.g. overnight) - if your hydraulic jacks happen to loose pressure, the trailer will drop and these steps could potentially destroy your entry door.

Just sayin'...

JDDilly
02-27-2021, 10:17 AM
If I ever have to replace my Solid Step, I would go with the Glow Step.

Sarge2
03-01-2021, 11:46 AM
The assist will really make it painless. It will just hang at whatever level you stop it

I have considered adding them... probably would be nice as the wife is taking the estrogen blockers due to having breast cancer and her arms and joints ache constantly from the medications...

Javi
03-01-2021, 12:24 PM
I have considered adding them... probably would be nice as the wife is taking the estrogen blockers due to having breast cancer and her arms and joints ache constantly from the medications...

So is mine.. 4 more years

And yes, it is worth it... :hide:

linux3
03-01-2021, 12:43 PM
All this talk about steps.
I gotta go with the opinion that folding stairs into our TT would be messy.

However, we have the steps that came with our trailer. I wrapped them with indoor/outdoor carpet and bought a small step stool from Walmart.

Works great.

Weldon
03-03-2021, 07:24 AM
I installed the Moryde STP54-011H Quick Connect steps on our TT. I didn't like the space needed to unfold the models that store in the doorway. I also didn't have to mod the original steps. The one downfall, if you call it one, is the need to lay them down flat inside the TT while traveling. I believe they would fit in the storage bins, but my kids use all of that space. The steps literally took 3 mins to install. I have no regrets at all. I purchased mine on amazon and they were here within 3 days, although I was told it would take up to 2 weeks.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GNN5VWK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

sourdough
03-03-2021, 08:08 AM
So is mine.. 4 more years

And yes, it is worth it... :hide:

Javi and Sarge2,

This is off topic and I apologize. No need to start a conversation but wanted to share.

If your wives are being treated for breast cancer have you checked into the OncoType DX Genomic test? It was a Godsend for us greatly enhancing the ability of the docs to determine a course of treatment....and for DW eliminated lots of tests, chemo and drugs that had not proven beneficial for her particular case. Just something to look into if you haven't or want to. Back to regular programming :)

jasin1
03-20-2021, 04:09 AM
Our 2018 Raptor came with the MORryde solid steps in the main front door and the standard fold out steps in the rear door. I'm not a fan of the solid steps for most of the "disadvantages" listed in prior posts.

Additionally no one has mentioned the possibility of these steps DESTROYING your main entry door if they are deployed and something or someone happens to adjust your hydraulic levelers. See the attached warning that came with my steps from MORryde which states;

[QUOTE MORryde]
"Before starting any (raising or lowering) leveling operation, either:

Open the entrance door fully, including the screen door and tie it back so it can’t close, OR
Stow the steps completely and shut the entrance door. Doing either of these this is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL in order to stop possible damage to the steps and door.

Q: What happens if I don’t use the tip above?
A: You might force the steps upward. In that event, with the entrance door closed, the steps have nowhere to go but up and into the door. Severe damage can occur to the steps and the door.
Q: What allows potential damage to occur?
A: When the jacks are retracted (manual or auto-retract operation) and if the door side of the coach was raised up by any amount at all, the coach will then lower down as the door side jacks retract. If the steps are deployed (out / down) and the entrance door is closed and you then retract the door side jacks, the steps will have no place to go but up into the entrance door itself. When the steps contact the door, the pressure the steps are applying to the door can damage the steps and the entrance door.[End Quote]

I recommend you NOT put the front jacks into your iN.Command system to avoid the possibility of "butt dialing" your leveling jacks with your phone app. I'd also recommend you not leave these steps deployed when leaving your trailer for an extended period (e.g. overnight) - if your hydraulic jacks happen to loose pressure, the trailer will drop and these steps could potentially destroy your entry door.

Just sayin'...

The REALLY bad part of all of this is if your sleeping and this happens ..if your jacks leak down or lower ,you may not be able to open the door from inside to correct the slowly unfolding damage. I wonder if you can get a alarm that monitors the level of the trailer.