PDA

View Full Version : Who uses a TPMS and which one do you recommend?

Skippy38
02-03-2020, 03:52 AM
Last June I had a blowout on one of my tires due to an over inflation scenario that I will not go into now. Granted these were Trailer King tires which I will be replacing but I know a TPMS system would have alerted me to the condition that caused the blowout so I will be upgrading to one when I get new tires. Which ones do you guys use? Thanks!

Lee
02-03-2020, 07:39 AM
Hi,

I have the TST 507 system on my TT.

Lee

sourdough
02-03-2020, 08:21 AM
Tst 507.....

tech740
02-03-2020, 10:33 AM
Tire minder TM 55

travelin texans
02-03-2020, 11:13 AM
TST 507, easy user battery replacement, no booster necessary, highly recommend.

FlyingAroundRV
02-03-2020, 11:30 AM
TST 507 with flow through sensors.
DW gritted her teeth when I told her what they cost, until I told her how much damage flinging treads could do to the trailer.

GHen
02-03-2020, 11:31 AM
TST 507 with flow through.

Make sure you upgrade to metal valve stems when you get the new tires.

bobbecky
02-03-2020, 12:19 PM
We also have the TST 507 flow through system. Easy battery replacement and new battery gaskets and other replacement parts and gaskets are available. Don't be surprised at the pressure increases you will see while towing, as this is normal and DO NOT LET AIR OUT OF YOUR TIRES when you see these increases. You only adjust pressure when the tires are cold, when they haven't been run or first thing in the morning before starting out.

travelin texans
02-03-2020, 12:40 PM
If you have a dually the flow thru sensors DO NOT work well on the rears.
Agree, DO NOT adjust pressures from what you see while traveling, a 20+/- psi increase is normal as well as temps over 100 degrees.

Ranchhand
02-03-2020, 04:14 PM
Installed my TST 507 this weekend so haven’t had a chance to try it yet but I believe it will work just fine. Bought ours based on information that I obtained from this site

LHaven
02-03-2020, 06:30 PM
We got the SmartMinder, which is like all the other ones Minder Research sells except the display is whatever smartphone you own. That allows either me or the DW to check the display independently on our own phones, and we don't have to devote a place to mount an extra display on the dash or wherever. It also lets us check the pressure on our phone when we're at the air hose station.

fjr vfr
02-03-2020, 09:42 PM
I have the TST 507 sensors. There are several brands that are pretty much the same...personal preference.
Echoing others here, adjust pressures when cold with ambient temps around 70 degrees.

Pay attention to what GHen said and upgrade to solid metal valve stems. The sensors bend the rubber stems out when tires are spinning at highway speeds.
The standard rubber stems are only good to 65 psi anyway. I also found the temperature readings are pretty much useless since the sensors are at the end of the valve stems.

Skippy38
02-04-2020, 03:26 AM
TST 507 with flow through sensors.
DW gritted her teeth when I told her what they cost, until I told her how much damage flinging treads could do to the trailer.

Thanks! When mine blew it only tore off the outside covering and fender flare which I was able to salvage and repair myself. Those steel belts could have really messed up a lot of stuff but i got lucky...

Rber1234
02-04-2020, 03:32 AM
TST 507 color monitor

chunker
02-04-2020, 04:36 AM
I have the EEZtire on the motorhome with 10 sensors, 6 for the coach and 4 for the toad. I use the button type with the security housings. I chose not to get flow through for the weight of the sensor and it's easy to remove to add air. The security housing I believe is unnecessary but I put the position stickers on them and didn't want to put stickers on the buttons and have to make changes to the book, ink. At any rate many of the systems are similar and the differences not great. EEZtire had a bigger monitor when I got mine. Important thing is to get a system, brand not as important.

CrazyCain
02-04-2020, 05:14 AM
I got the TM 55c, perfect for my trailer ( single Axle) Very comforting to have this when traveling..

:popcorn:

Camp CA
02-05-2020, 05:30 AM
.......I know a TPMS system would have alerted me to the condition that caused the blowout so I will be upgrading to one when I get new tires. Which ones do you guys use?..........

Tiretracker TT-600 10-wheel tire monitoring system with TT-200 signal booster to monitor 6 tires on my truck and 4 tires on my fifth wheel.

david5311
02-09-2020, 08:44 AM
Not to hijack thread, is anyone using the new OEM trailer tire pressure sensors on the new GM pickups? They are available on the new 2020.

LV_Tom
02-09-2020, 09:05 AM
I bought a TPMS system for my 2011 Cougar. Had two blowouts. On both blowouts the Tire Minder didn't sound a problem until I was pulled off to the side of the road. So they don't announce blowouts very well. It's usually after the fact. I no longer use them.

buzzcop63
02-09-2020, 10:45 AM
Tire Minder, purchased 6/23/2013, have had no problems, free batteries each year. Trailer in storage facility so to check tires while trailer in storage I turn on Tire Minder and while I check trailer it records the four trailer tire PSI and Temperature, no getting down on the ground and checking each tire with a gauge. Take off the sending unit from the tire as in a blow out and alarm sounds! While driving have wife check each tire and am amazed at the temperature and pressure changes on hot days. Would not tow without Tire Minder.

bfisher003
02-09-2020, 11:15 AM
We’ve been using the EEZTire system for over three years and it works great. As previously said, most of the systems are pretty similar and good. The important thing is to have and use one. Here is one example of ours most likely saving us from a blowout and maybe damage to a trailer. We had been up to Alaska and due to a broken spring hanger suffered on a frost heave we had worn one of the trailer tires badly, so we stopped in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory and got a complete new set of tires installed. After the installer had the tires back on the trailer and was done I put all the sensors back on and before heading out I let all of them cycle through on the monitor. When it got to the driver side rear tire the unit immediately alarmed out with a low pressure of 32 psi. Had we not had the system we would not have known we had a problem. Get one. Use it.

CaptnJohn
02-09-2020, 11:29 AM
TST 507 for years!

LewisB
02-09-2020, 12:21 PM
TST 507 with flow through sensors & metal valve stems.

Most important feature (to me)? Buy a system that does NOT have to have the tires rotating in order to check them. If your system requires rotation to work, then you have to check the tires manually before you leave, or leave and then learn that you have a low tire. So it turns out not all TPMS systems are created equal. The 507 allows you to simply turn on the monitor while you are getting ready to go - it will check your tires and alert you as required.

We actually had this happen on our last trip. Travelled and then camped (boon docking). While the trailer was sitting on the level-up hydraulic system, one of the tires went 50% flat - we figured it was something we picked up on the road into the campsite. The morning before we were getting ready to go, I turned on the 507 monitor and it alerted me to the low tire. The early alert gave me a chance to fix the issue at my convenience BEFORE I drove away. With a rotating system, I would not have known until I came down off the levelors and potentially even started to drive away.

So get a system that transmits even when stationary!

goodellj
02-09-2020, 01:59 PM
I have a TST-510 system that I bought in 2012, on all 4 trailer tires and all 4 truck tires. It has served me well! One highway puncture, several slow leaks, and several 'inexplicable' losses of 1-2 pounds of pressure which turned out to be early symptoms of broken belts.

They don't make or sell the 510 system any more, but reconditioned 510 sensors are available from TST at a bargain price! I needed a few replacements and also got a few extra.

McRod
02-09-2020, 02:26 PM
I had TST 507 pass through, but kept having issues.

I changed to Eezytire (https://eezrvproducts.com/) and that system works better for me. I use their TPMS with booster.

blubuckaroo
02-09-2020, 03:51 PM
Not trying to hijack this thread, but there's another post on this same topic.
I was wondering if there might be a system available that uses an internal sensor like those on cars? Seems to me that would make a lot more sense.

takpak
02-09-2020, 04:30 PM
WOW, I must be the only one out there that is using Pressure Pro. Bought it new in 2008. Original sensors were still working when I decided to replace them in 2017 when we got a new fiver. Still using the original display. Granted, it's a bit cumbersome, but Pressure Pro has been really good about customer service. Side note; they now offer a system that uses your cell phone, however, my display is still working good. So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

LHaven
02-09-2020, 05:05 PM
Not trying to hijack this thread, but there's another post on this same topic.
I was wondering if there might be a system available that uses an internal sensor like those on cars? Seems to me that would make a lot more sense.

The vehicle-based systems have the advantage of being factory installed; and being able to report to the vehicle-based viewscreen; also, they are government mandated, so the factory can put them in all vehicles knowing you have no recourse but to pay for them.

The trailer-based systems aren't factory-installed because no law requires them, and trailer manufacturers tend to build as cheaply as possible (except for options, and Keystone doesn't do a great job of offering to-order options). Also, they will still require some sort of extra booster to reach the tow vehicle, as well as a separate display, because they can't depend on the truck display.

Here's a link to a Trailer Life article on available TPMSes. (https://www.trailerlife.com/tech/watch-your-back-rv-tpms-buyers-guide/) I was sort of surprised to find that interior rim-mounted sensors aren't even an current market option for trailers, at any price.

MattHelm21
02-09-2020, 05:14 PM
Another for the TST 507 with six flow through sensors. No problems. Used since 2016.

patyacht
02-09-2020, 05:20 PM
TireMinder A1A

blubuckaroo
02-09-2020, 06:09 PM
The vehicle-based systems have the advantage of being factory installed; and being able to report to the vehicle-based viewscreen; also, they are government mandated, so the factory can put them in all vehicles knowing you have no recourse but to pay for them.

The trailer-based systems aren't factory-installed because no law requires them, and trailer manufacturers tend to build as cheaply as possible (except for options, and Keystone doesn't do a great job of offering to-order options). Also, they will still require some sort of extra booster to reach the tow vehicle, as well as a separate display, because they can't depend on the truck display.

Here's a link to a Trailer Life article on available TPMSes. (https://www.trailerlife.com/tech/watch-your-back-rv-tpms-buyers-guide/) I was sort of surprised to find that interior rim-mounted sensors aren't even an current market option for trailers, at any price.

But the units could be mounted inside the rims like the autos get. I'm just wondering if a cleaner system like that is available.

JRTJH
02-09-2020, 06:20 PM
But the units could be mounted inside the rims like the autos get. I'm just wondering if a cleaner system like that is available.

I think there's a compromise between battery size, battery power and the amount of power it takes to broadcast through the steel/aluminum wheels. So far, they haven't developed a system that's strong enough to broadcast a signal from t he wheel to the cab with the batteries currently available in the price range to keep the systems competitive with what's already on the market.

If you think back to the first TPMS in cars, they were a steel band and a "electronics package" close to the size of a hockey puck. Today's systems are much smaller, but the smaller they get, the less power they can package inside the unit. The more power they need, the bigger the battery, so there's a "fine line between small enough, powerful enough and long lasting enough.... As TPMS technology develops, no doubt we'll soon have tires with built in TPMS that won't need any external sensor, but we're not that "evolved" yet.

LHaven
02-09-2020, 06:34 PM

If you mean someone could invent something to mount the current units available for trailers inside the rims... I'm sure somebody could, but I'm not going to get my tires remounted every year just so I can change the batteries.

chuckster57
02-09-2020, 07:07 PM
If you mean someone could invent something to mount the current units available for trailers inside the rims... I'm sure somebody could, but I'm not going to get my tires remounted every year just so I can change the batteries.

Automotive TPMS units average 5 years or better on the batteries. If you change out your trailer tires as they age out, you could just put in new batteries at that time. I just bought a TPMS scanner and my 2016 Kia shows batteries at or near full charge. So there is potential, but probably not going to happen for RVs.

LHaven
02-09-2020, 07:12 PM
Automotive TPMS units average 5 years or better on the batteries. If you change out your trailer tires as they age out, you could just put in new batteries at that time. I just bought a TPMS scanner and my 2016 Kia shows batteries at or near full charge. So there is potential, but probably not going to happen for RVs.

Yup, that's true for TMPS units designed for internal installation, but it's not true of the stem-mounted variety which, at this point, is all you can get for trailers (or at least Trailer Life doesn't know of any others). Trailer units have the additional burden of having to transmit a reading some 30' or more to a responder in the tow vehicle, and nobody to my knowledge has engineered an internal unit that addresses this problem.

chuckster57
02-09-2020, 07:15 PM
Yeah, just thinking out loud. I’m not looking to invent anything at this point.

CT Wanderer
02-09-2020, 08:41 PM
TST 507. Works great.

blubuckaroo
02-10-2020, 03:34 AM
Yup, that's true for TMPS units designed for internal installation, but it's not true of the stem-mounted variety which, at this point, is all you can get for trailers (or at least Trailer Life doesn't know of any others). Trailer units have the additional burden of having to transmit a reading some 30' or more to a responder in the tow vehicle, and nobody to my knowledge has engineered an internal unit that addresses this problem.

Thanks. That's what I needed to know. I plan to buy a system, but don't want to buy one of these just to find out there are setups with internal senders available.

HDroadglide
02-10-2020, 09:42 AM
I use the TST 507 with flow through caps. It work better than the Tire Minder.

kenhigdon
02-10-2020, 01:22 PM
I also am using TST 507 on both truck and 5th wheel trailer. Have had no problem with monitors in the two years of use. Still using the original batteries. I've noticed that the monitor is updated about once every 5 minutes, so it is not a blow-out notifier, but is great for detecting slow leaks and other slow developing anomalies. And yes, I have had two blowouts, and a failed tire stem(not steel) probably caused by putting the tire monitor on the rubber stem of the spare as result of the first blowout.

tomkat2
02-10-2020, 03:05 PM
Agreeing with most everyone else...TST507. I do want to reiterate (I think it was "CHen") the post above, upgrade to metal wheel stems. The weight of the flow through sensors can cause movement of the rubber stems, in time allowing them to rub and cut against the wheel rims. I found out the hard way developing a slow leak out in the middle of nowhere! had to add air 3 times before getting to a town that had a tire shop. The guy chuckled and said they see this frequently. A free 5 minute fix IF, you're close to a tire shop! Get the metal stems!
Safe Travels!

notanlines
02-10-2020, 03:41 PM
TST 507 also. I still use the infrared thermometer (uh, yes, Harbor Freight :hide:) at every stop on all 12 tires.

LewisB
02-11-2020, 08:22 AM
Thanks. That's what I needed to know. I plan to buy a system, but don't want to buy one of these just to find out there are setups with internal senders available.

Potential source: check out all the comparison and training videos. Great customer service - personal recommendation:

https://www.youtube.com/user/technorv/search?view_as=subscriber&query=507

Tireman9
02-12-2020, 02:10 PM
Last June I had a blowout on one of my tires due to an over inflation scenario that I will not go into now. Granted these were Trailer King tires which I will be replacing but I know a TPMS system would have alerted me to the condition that caused the blowout so I will be upgrading to one when I get new tires. Which ones do you guys use? Thanks!

Wondering where you came up with a source of 200 - 250 psi as that is what it takes to blow up an undamaged tire.

Tireman9
02-12-2020, 03:16 PM
I think there's a compromise between battery size, battery power and the amount of power it takes to broadcast through the steel/aluminum wheels. So far, they haven't developed a system that's strong enough to broadcast a signal from t he wheel to the cab with the batteries currently available in the price range to keep the systems competitive with what's already on the market.

If you think back to the first TPMS in cars, they were a steel band and a "electronics package" close to the size of a hockey puck. Today's systems are much smaller, but the smaller they get, the less power they can package inside the unit. The more power they need, the bigger the battery, so there's a "fine line between small enough, powerful enough and long lasting enough.... As TPMS technology develops, no doubt we'll soon have tires with built in TPMS that won't need any external sensor, but we're not that "evolved" yet.

TST has an internal sensor (https://tsttruck.com/shop.html?market_application=24&p=2) that mounts to the wheel. Works fine in my comparison test of internal vs external. Results on my RV Tire Safety blog.

Tireman9
02-12-2020, 03:18 PM

Mount a simple repeater and no loss of signal problems discovered in my comparison test.

Tireman9
02-12-2020, 03:20 PM
TST 507 also. I still use the infrared thermometer (uh, yes, Harbor Freight :hide:) at every stop on all 12 tires.

The hand held IR guns do not get the tire hot spot. Can you get all your tires at the same spot as last check and do them all in less than 2 min?

LewisB
02-12-2020, 03:55 PM
The hand held IR guns do not get the tire hot spot. Can you get all your tires at the same spot as last check and do them all in less than 2 min?

Like Jim (post #42 by notanlines), I also use an IR Thermometer to check tires and wheel hubs at stops. It is not for comparison with "previous readings" and I'm not looking for the hottest spot on the tire. I'm comparing tires with each other and more importantly wheel hubs with each other, looking for any anomalous readings that could point to a bearing problem.

The TPMS give me heat on the trailer tires in real time. The IR gun gives me heat in the truck tires (not monitored by OE tire system) and allows me to compare tires on the DRW.

I have to do a walk around anyway (for my back & legs), so I figure a little bit of information from the IR gun could be valuable. Of course, I have no qualifications other than about 50 years of towing, so maybe it's a pointless exercise. At least it keeps me entertained!

sourdough
02-12-2020, 03:59 PM
Like Jim (post #42 by notanlines), I also use an IR Thermometer to check tires and wheel hubs at stops. It is not for comparison with "previous readings" and I'm not looking for the hottest spot on the tire. I'm comparing tires with each other and more importantly wheel hubs with each other, looking for any anomalous readings that could point to a bearing problem.

The TPMS give me heat on the trailer tires in real time. The IR gun gives me heat in the truck tires (not monitored by OE tire system) and allows me to compare tires on the DRW.

I have to do a walk around anyway (for my back & legs), so I figure a little bit of information from the IR gun could be valuable. Of course, I have no qualifications other than about 50 years of towing, so maybe it's a pointless exercise. At least it keeps me entertained!

^^^^^^x3!! Same here! Guess I just like to watch the numbers pop up on the back of the IR gun (HF by the way):lol::lol::lol:

JRTJH
02-12-2020, 04:46 PM
^^^ X4...

I walk around at every stop, shining that little red light on every tire and every hub and looking at the numbers on that tiny screen. It may not make a "hill of beans difference" but it keeps me happy and keeps my HF IR thermometer from getting dusty in the driver's door pocket on my truck.....

Like the others, it may not help, but it certainly doesn't hurt.....

flybouy
02-12-2020, 04:53 PM
^^^^X5. Keep it in the door and grab it at every stop. Check all hubs and even "shoot" the hitch coupler on the way back. :popcorn:

travelin texans
02-12-2020, 08:00 PM
Add one more to that waste of time with the IR gun at rest stops list, makes me feel good.

chunker
02-12-2020, 08:17 PM
I carry an IR gun on board but don't use it unless something is out of the ordinary. My EEZtire TPMS give temperature reading for all tires and I know the Jeep right front is always a bit hotter by about 10 degrees because the motorhome exhaust goes by it. Last spring when I noticed the right front running about 40 degrees hotter the IR gun showed the hub was having issues. That's the brake caliper issues I previously referenced.

I carry a torque wrench and don't check torque every time I stop.