PDA

View Full Version : Digital door Locks, but not for a Cougar 29RKS?

rlh1957
01-28-2020, 01:33 PM
I'm beginning to think the 2020 Cougar Half-Ton 29RKS is the bastard child and is the only thing rolling that has that darn vertical door handle. Wife thought is was nice until we got it and started looking for a digital keyless entry replacement.
No retrofitting another lock on it because of the way the door cutout is done.
Apparently no one makes such a keyless replacement that I can find.

When they use non standard parts, then no replacements are made.

flybouy
01-28-2020, 03:13 PM
That's always the penalty you pay when purchasing something that truly is "new and improved" when it's first released. It typically takes the aftermarket industries' a while to catch up, and often can take the manufacturer a while to "work out the bugs" when that "grand new idea" gets' into the public hands and gets used and abused.

Personally I like to wait for ver 2.0 to be released. Fewer issues and the folks at the front of the line get to pay the cost of the R & D.

JMHO

JRTJH
01-28-2020, 05:25 PM
There's a current thread about the lack of underbed frame mounts for the 2020 Chevrolet/GM 1500 truck. Currently appears there's no way to install a fifth wheel hitch in the truck bed. While the "new era truck" is claimed to be "innovation on the move" it appears that it won't be moving a fifth wheel for the foreseeable future... Possibly the same situation with the "door locks on the new Cougar"…...

Tbos
01-29-2020, 12:49 PM
I’m not sure what you mean by vertical door lock. Can you post a picture?

LHaven
01-29-2020, 01:09 PM
Personally I like to wait for ver 2.0 to be released. Fewer issues and the folks at the front of the line get to pay the cost of the R & D.

We used to say, "You know how you can tell a pioneer? He's the guy with all the arrow scars."

rlh1957
02-10-2020, 01:33 PM
Here's the door handle on the outside. I believe someone called it a Euro Latch. They should have kept it in Euro!

bobbecky
02-10-2020, 04:54 PM
I appears to be a Lippert design, and for some reason they seem to think this is a good thing. You may be stuck with what you have, short of replacing the door.
https://www.lci1.com/rv-doors

Euro Latch

The sleek and modern Euro Latch door handle is an LCI product developed in the United States with European-styling in mind. The Euro Latch is a European-inspired vertical grab handle that provides the RV owner with a larger surface area and easier use. The Euro Latch comes standard with the G Class Entry Door and is designed to easily incorporate the Screen Shot, an entry door accessory that automatically closes the RV’s screen door upon entry and exit.

GeekSquadOfUn
02-10-2020, 05:53 PM
In all fairness, a new door handle would be easily overlooked by most buyers. Upon purchase, you're inundated with tons of info and typically do not notice everything.

When we bought our new 5th wheel, our 2nd in 9 years, I had a long list of "must haves" when we started shopping. We stuck to it.

Luckily my model has a typical door handle / lock and I did install an RVLock, my wife was not impressed with the price, but now she'll admit she loves it.

I would have missed it.

LHaven
02-11-2020, 10:43 AM
That's always the penalty you pay when purchasing something that truly is "new and improved" when it's first released. It typically takes the aftermarket industries' a while to catch up

Sometimes, I guess, they never do. RVlocksandmore.com says they have no plan to offer their upgrade door locks in the euro profile.

wiredgeorge
02-11-2020, 02:42 PM
What the heck is "EUROPEAN STYLING" in a Cougar?

GeekSquadOfUn
02-11-2020, 02:50 PM
Keystone has changed the door lock/handle on the entry door.

It is elongated, different and known as Euro style, like on European caravans, as they're called there.

Volume is going to be low, unless all RV manufacturers starts installing them on more models... RV Lock is looking for volume...

LHaven
02-11-2020, 03:01 PM
What the heck is "EUROPEAN STYLING" in a Cougar?

You're gonna love it...

https://images.yaoota.com/OwK_Qb2VOkRavbMDyKKiwY8CUH8=/trim/yaootaweb-production-ke/media/crawledproductimages/0cb0aa97ca482eb67e37bb7a69a0adf4fdbd9f1d.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51uyhs7OqHL._AC_SX522_.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKJ2cmMe53lAFMDYaSEVvH4oHazypF4 cbn31Q9KdUxmKV_9i70&s

GeekSquadOfUn
02-11-2020, 03:27 PM
Love it. ������

rlh1957
06-11-2020, 08:07 AM
I’m not sure what you mean by vertical door lock. Can you post a picture?

Sorry I wasn't paying attention to your question.
Here are some stock photos. I suppose no one including myself has a good head on shot of just a door!
It is called a Euro Latch door.

TxPilot2185
06-11-2020, 09:15 AM
I feel your pain! .... fellow cougar owner.

donsantell
06-11-2020, 10:14 AM
Here's the door handle on the outside. I believe someone called it a Euro Latch. They should have kept it in Euro!

How about a new door?

rlh1957
06-11-2020, 10:16 AM
A door replacement would be very expensive and then the cost of a keyless entry lock. I've seen everything from $500 to $1000 for a replacement door.

shakenbaker
02-08-2021, 05:58 PM
I am looking on replacing the door lock with a digital door lock and have been reading everyone's problem with their 29rks (Euro style lock). I saw the photos posted and that looks nothing like the lock on my 2020 RKS. I posted a photo of my lock...Don't think they are what others have posted. Can this be changed to a digital combo lock? Photos may be sideways

rlh1957
02-08-2021, 06:12 PM
I am looking on replacing the door lock with a digital door lock and have been reading everyone's problem with their 29rks (Euro style lock). I saw the photos posted and that looks nothing like the lock on my 2020 RKS. I posted a photo of my lock...Don't think they are what others have posted. Can this be changed to a digital combo lock? Photos may be sideways

If this is a photo of your 2020 cougar half ton 29RKS apparently Keystone changed the door & lock on the line. Do you know when yours was manf?
Mine was manf during the last half of 2020 29RKS
run.

Yours looks like you will be able to put in a digital lock.

Mine unfortunately has no digital replacement.

LHaven
02-08-2021, 06:18 PM

You have the "standard" Global Link lock. (https://www.rvlocksandmore.com/TTL-43610-2006-1PK) There are compatible digital locks generally available. It's the Euro lock that's non-upgradeable.

shakenbaker
02-08-2021, 06:24 PM
Thank you...I will look for one

jasin1
02-09-2021, 11:55 AM
A door replacement would be very expensive and then the cost of a keyless entry lock. I've seen everything from $500 to $1000 for a replacement door.

I wonder if they make a digital deadbolt you could add above the existing door handle... leave the original one unlocked most of the time and use the keypad for the deadbolt

LHaven
02-09-2021, 12:56 PM
If you like expensive tech gadgets, here's one you can even open with your phone. (https://www.rvupgradestore.com/AP-Products-013-5091-Bauer-NE-Bluetooth-Lock-p/013-5091.htm)

JackinDixie
02-12-2021, 02:16 AM
I'm beginning to think the 2020 Cougar Half-Ton 29RKS is the bastard child and is the only thing rolling that has that darn vertical door handle. Wife thought is was nice until we got it and started looking for a digital keyless entry replacement.

We have the 2021 Cougar HT 29RKS. Our unit was on/off the factory floor in JUN-2020. We have the old style entry door lock so Keystone must have ditched the Euro model after the 2020 model year run was completed.

Camping family
02-12-2021, 08:31 AM

Yep I have the same problem I don’t think need the dealers realized there is a difference. When I purchased mine at the same time when I was purchasing other items I wanted I mentioned a new door lock and they sold me one. Not realizing it wouldn’t work because it had the vertical handle. So if you find a replacement please post. I as of this time have not.