PDA

View Full Version : A little humor

JRTJH
01-26-2020, 10:28 PM
Having spent a major part of my adult life in health care, sometimes I run across something that casts a bit of humor on a serious situation. It takes humor to cope with the stress of most "concerning potentials" like the new coronavirus that's spreading worldwide more rapidly than anyone expected...

Anyway, this was on at least one ER bulletin board this weekend

66joej
01-27-2020, 06:06 AM
Having spent a major part of my adult life in health care, sometimes I run across something that casts a bit of humor on a serious situation. It takes humor to cope with the stress of most "concerning potentials" like the new coronavirus that's spreading worldwide more rapidly than anyone expected...

Anyway, this was on at least one ER bulletin board this weekend

Not to be morbid but we had a friend who was an ICU nurse and their theme song in the unit was "Another one bites the dust" by Queen. :eek:

chuckster57
01-27-2020, 06:10 AM
Sometimes if you don’t laugh you’ll cry. News just said CDC says 5 confirmed cases in US as of this morning.

flybouy
01-27-2020, 06:41 AM
I'm a firm believer in "laughter is the best medicine".

JRTJH
01-27-2020, 07:07 AM
Me too. Our surgery suite (I was in orthopedics) was shared with the colonoscopy/endoscopy team. (different rooms, same hallway). The lounge always had the song, "I'm a Procto Surgeon" on the intercom.... At least the lounge didn't smell like the one in the Urology department..... Over there, everyone wore rubber boots and it always smelled like "an old diaper pail" :cool:

ctbruce
01-27-2020, 07:45 AM
Medical humor...is the best humor. We used to have two proctologists who went into practice together and opened a practice. Fortin and Butts Proctologists.

JRTJH
01-27-2020, 08:37 AM
Most physicians look for investments outside of the medical world to "hedge" their money away from their source of income. We had a psychiatrist named Dr Moore. He bought a pecan orchard near Natchitoches, LA. Name: Doctor Moore's Nut Farm....

flybouy
01-27-2020, 08:52 AM
I miss the stories from my DW when she was working labor & delivery and the NICU. They had all these acronyms that they would place on the chart so the next nurse would be aware of the situation. One of the most common according to here was "FLK" and "FLP". FLK was was funny looking kid, and FLP was funny looking parent. That way the next person to look at the chart wouldn't think that the baby had a medical condition but rather looked like the parent. The other common one was "mother is CAS" CAS was crazy as..you guessed it.

JRTJH
01-27-2020, 09:05 AM
One that we used regularly was BSC. If asked for a definition, it was always, "Basic Sensorineural Confirmed" Placed in the chart in a different location, it was "Bat S**t Crazy"....

Another was BSC/SHF's. Bat S**t Crazy with Screaming Hissy Fits.

flybouy
01-27-2020, 09:08 AM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ctbruce
01-27-2020, 09:29 AM
Names are the best. We have two kids/brothers who are legend:
Cashmoney and Milionsofdollars.

Tbos
01-27-2020, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the laughs everybody.

hankpage
01-27-2020, 10:17 AM
Medical humor: First, my orthopedic surgeon's name was Dr. Dingle.
My hip replacement was done with the aid of two Benadryl and a nerve block. While the doc was pounding the ball end of the joint in I suggested he needed a bigger hammer. His reply was "Any more advice from me would be added to my bill." Then he mumbled " Did I say that out loud?" Got a good laugh from all present and made me keep my mouth shut.

15 minutes from first cut to closing and home the next day. Guess he knew what he was doing. He asked me to schedule a follow up visit in 30 years after two weeks of PT. Five years down and counting. :D

flybouy
01-27-2020, 10:25 AM
Names are the best. We have two kids/brothers who are legend:
Cashmoney and Milionsofdollars.

Just triggered an old, old memory. When I was very young I worked for an electrical repair company. They had a large electric motor rewind shop (they rewound/rebuilt elevator motors, train traction motors, several hundred hp motors,etc.). Anyway, in the shop were two brothers from Korea. There names were Mi Hung LO and Wan Hung LO. Being young (and immature) I could not address them without laughing or smirking. Why they never kicked my butt is still a mystery to me.

ctbruce
01-27-2020, 10:40 AM
Some parents are cruel. Had one patient once years ago who's parents named their little girl Imogene.

Unfortunately their last name was Poole.

Yup, they went there.

travelin texans
01-27-2020, 10:42 AM
Had a coworker last named Couch that named his daughter Velvet, I told him he should shot.
Also went to school with Juana Freeman who married Tony Dick!!!!

SummitPond
01-27-2020, 11:12 AM
An interesting read on Lyme disease:

BITTEN: The Secret History of Lyme Disease and Biological Weapons

Kris Newby, 2019 - HarperCollins

sourdough
01-27-2020, 11:31 AM
I was just going to read along but we've now gotten into humorous names. My daughter went to school with a girl whose parents named her.....Kaopectate! No joke. They liked the shortened version of Kao and that is what she was called but the other was/is her full name.

Bob R
01-27-2020, 11:47 AM
I was working Women's Health (L&D, Post-Partum) and Newborn Nursery in 1999/2000. You would not believe all of the different variations of Millennium the kids born that year and the next were named. Just because you can doesn't mean you should, especially when it comes to names.

bob

66joej
01-27-2020, 02:39 PM
After retirement I was a marshal/ranger/players assistant/keep the play going person (got free green fees and food). Was friendly with one of the pros at this particular course and he gave a note to the girl on the p/a system to read at the tournament windup. The note said "calling for Phil Mccracken". She announced and did not catch on until after. No word of a lie. If offensive Moderators can delete.

JRTJH
01-27-2020, 04:04 PM
When we first moved to Louisiana from northern Michigan (My DW's first real immersion into south Louisiana culture and people) she took a entry level job in the medical records department of a very rural state run charity hospital. Being one of only 2 people with a degree and certification in medical records, she was placed in charge of the registries. Birth, death, cancer, tumor, surgical pathology, etc. One of her duties was to visit the maternity ward after every birth and prepare the documents for application for birth certificates. Some of the names were "remarkable" to say the least. One set of twins was named Lemonjalo and Oranjalo (Lemon Jello and Orange Jello), another was named Senior (father's full name) followed by Jr. When asked, the parents said they wanted to name their son after the father but didn't want him called "Junior" so they elected to make his first name Senior, so he wouldn't be a Junior....

Then there was the beautiful twin girls, Regina and Vag***…. You just can't make this stuff up.....

flybouy
01-27-2020, 04:53 PM
Speaking of dialect...My DW related a story when she was working as an OB/GYN nurse. The doctor inquired about the patient's menstrual cycles. The doctor asked the patient what kind of "flow" she had. Her answer, ....drum roll please......"linoleum". No, you can't make this stuff up.

tech740
01-27-2020, 08:11 PM
I teach CPR class. My students always ask in Staying Alive and Another One Bites the Dust are actually the correct beat to do compressions along with. I always inform them that it is the correct speed. Just don't sing the later when family is there and you are doing the compressions. I id you not I had a fellow firefighter do it once.

vampress_me
01-27-2020, 08:33 PM
Medical humor: First, my orthopedic surgeon's name was Dr. Dingle.
My hip replacement was done with the aid of two Benadryl and a nerve block. While the doc was pounding the ball end of the joint in I suggested he needed a bigger hammer. His reply was "Any more advice from me would be added to my bill." Then he mumbled " Did I say that out loud?" Got a good laugh from all present and made me keep my mouth shut.

15 minutes from first cut to closing and home the next day. Guess he knew what he was doing. He asked me to schedule a follow up visit in 30 years after two weeks of PT. Five years down and counting. :D

Have one that goes with this story. Hubby had DBS surgery done a couple years ago for his Parkinson’s. They do that surgery awake. He tells me afterwards that as they were drilling the first hole in his skull, surgeon says “oops”. Hubby quick response was “that’s not what I want to hear from the guy drilling a hole in my head!” He and surgeon agreed that might not instill much confidence and maybe shouldn’t be said again. Surgery turned out just fine, and the surgeon was a great guy.

hornet28
01-28-2020, 09:03 AM
Some of the names were "remarkable" to say the least. One set of twins was named Lemonjalo and Oranjalo (Lemon Jello and Orange Jello), .

My wife was an ER nurse here in Muskegon and there was a Lemonjalo and Orangjalo here also

flybouy
01-28-2020, 09:33 AM
My DW relayed those names 40 years ago. It seems to be, or was, a common occurrence. Here's another one that I forgot until; DW and I were talking about it. She grew up with a girl whose last name was Hoar (yes pronounced like the oldest profession). The family named this girl "Ima". Why? Just why?

sourdough
01-28-2020, 10:13 AM
My DW relayed those names 40 years ago. It seems to be, or was, a common occurrence. Here's another one that I forgot until; DW and I were talking about it. She grew up with a girl whose last name was Hoar (yes pronounced like the oldest profession). The family named this girl "Ima". Why? Just why?

^^^^^Another Ima was the daughter of Governor Jim Hogg of Texas; Ima Hogg. Why parents would do that I don't know but they did. Ima went on to be quite an individual.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ima_Hogg

notanlines
01-28-2020, 12:09 PM
Interesting read on urban myth names:
http://www.nancy.cc/2015/02/17/urban-legend-baby-names-oranjello-lemonjello/

Jfreek65
01-28-2020, 09:13 PM
A guy I went to college with was Justin Case.

ctbruce
01-29-2020, 06:24 AM
Interesting read on urban myth names:

http://www.nancy.cc/2015/02/17/urban-legend-baby-names-oranjello-lemonjello/Interesting, but I have personally witnessed all of these names given to real kids with real birth certificates. Working in an inner city hospital will do that for you.

Here's another one. Kids name is spelled Casha. So we are calling out every pronunciation we can think of with no response. Finally mom comes to the window wanting to know if her child's prescription is ready as she has been waiting a long time. I ask for the birthdate and last name. I tell mom that Casha's Rx has been ready for a long time and we have been calling out Casha several times. Mom looks at me straight faced and says, I kid you not, it's pronounced Asia, the C is silent. I now have a permanently fixed dumb look on my face from face freeze, which my mom used to warn me about.

CrazyCain
01-29-2020, 06:33 AM
Great Post John and great responses everyone!!!

AbHDToyHauler
01-29-2020, 07:30 AM
There is a Dr. Phuk Yu in Boston! I wouldnt believe it except i also worked with a guy named Phuk Yu here in Calgary! LOL

LHaven
01-29-2020, 11:16 AM
Casha's Rx has been ready for a long time and we have been calling out Casha several times. Mom looks at me straight faced and says, I kid you not, it's pronounced Asia, the C is silent.

Maybe it was really a €...?

tinapat55
02-02-2020, 08:50 AM
I worked with a heart surgeon for several years and that was what we played when we were done and closing up the patient.

bobnelms
02-02-2020, 12:21 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:Had a coworker last named Couch that named his daughter Velvet, I told him he should shot.
Also went to school with Juana Freeman who married Tony Dick!!!!
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
That's hilarious!

larryflew
02-02-2020, 12:27 PM
Not to be morbid but we had a friend who was an ICU nurse and their theme song in the unit was "Another one bites the dust" by Queen. :eek:

Reading these aloud while my wife is playing a game on her Kindle. At first she had a quizzical look on her face and then said oh I SEE YOU to ad another chuckle for me.

As one with WAY too many near death surgeries etc I actually appreciate these jokes.

There is a Fuchs Auto sales here. Tried to get my wife's cousin to name one of his sons differently and he almost did. Last name was Rude but first didn't make Evin.

chuckster57
02-02-2020, 12:41 PM
I had an inmate named cash register. Had a gold tooth with a dollar sign on it.

footz1941
02-02-2020, 12:49 PM
Maintenance dept at Postal Service. Someone ( who shall remain nameless )called the office and requested them to page Jack Mehoff

CLINTONTB
02-02-2020, 12:51 PM
Here’s one for ya, nephew and wife both military. Him special forces 3 tours, her ordinance 2 tours. After returning to states they had a daughter, named her Olive, first name, Danger, middle name. Really? Too many “booms !” Why do parents do this crazy sh@t?

crowbar
02-02-2020, 02:56 PM
Went to explore where my late father came from in Nova Scotia and was introduced to a man named John(?) Hoar. I said "pardon me?" and he repeated the name. The wife and I chuckled about it later. Soon we were at a local museum/library where my wife, who is a genealogist, was researching my family history in the area. Suddenly, she started cracking up with laughter. "What's so funny?" I asked. Trying to control herself she blurted out "your great grandmother was a Hoar!" Nuff said.

travelin texans
02-02-2020, 04:56 PM
Driving around Gallup NM there's a cigar shop call "Fu King Cigar Shop" & in Tacoma WA an Asian soup place called "Pho King Soup".

LHaven
02-02-2020, 05:26 PM
named her Olive, first name, Danger, middle name. Really?

That puts me in mind of Penn Jillette's daughter (of Penn and Teller), whose name is Moxie Crimefighter Jillette.

40 years ago, when DW was sharing a semiprivate room outside DC after the birth of our first, she overheard her roommate making a phone call. The girl was apparently incapable of deciding what to name her new baby, so she called the baby-daddy's mother for instructions. The older woman told her to name the baby Jablonski Korea [Lastname]. Over the years, I have occasionally done web searches for that combination to see whatever became of that poor kid, but I have never gotten a single hit.

LaTundra
02-02-2020, 08:19 PM
I was sitting in the exam room. When the doctor walked in, I said ,"Doc, is that a rectal thermometer behind you ear?". He grabbed it and said "Damn, some butthole's got my pencil"

Kaptn Krabby
02-03-2020, 08:10 AM
I work in retail grocery. Today one of our beer vendors told me that Corona sales are way down since the outbreak.

Sokcap48
02-03-2020, 04:19 PM
Went school with a girl first name Rhea last name Dyer. School roll call was always last name first then first name.

SummitPond
02-04-2020, 07:27 PM
I work in retail grocery. Today one of our beer vendors told me that Corona sales are way down since the outbreak.

Visiting with a neighbor while I was walking around the neighborhood; we wandered into his garage so he could show me where he was going to have some replastering done. He told me his wife was under the weather. Just then she popped into the garage and I told her I hoped it wasn't the Corona virus. She replied she had stopped drinking, so that couldn't be it.

JRTJH
02-07-2020, 05:42 PM
Anyone have a kid like this or know one in your neighborhood ??? Sometimes I remember back on the "20 questions" that often turned into 1000 questions as I was trying to get something finished and my DS was "helping"....

JRTJH
02-10-2020, 03:31 PM
One of my nieces spends all summer living in her travel trailer, towing it from campground to campground when she reaches the maximum stay. She's become a "legend" at a couple of campgrounds and is, without a doubt, a "totally free spirit"... She found this sweatshirt, which fits her perfectly and might be a "proper adornment" for a few people here as well.....

notanlines
02-11-2020, 11:43 AM
There are occasions when the shirt fits the man....completely!

Northern Lights
02-29-2020, 04:51 PM
One of the funniest is a recording online of a prank customer page on the PA at a Walmart for a gentleman named, "Clinton Kildepstein."

notanlines
07-19-2020, 03:18 AM
I know I shouldn’t have done this, but I am 72 years old and I was in the McDonald’s drive-through this morning and the young lady behind me leaned on her horn and started mouthing something because I was taking too long to place my order. So when I got to the first window I paid for her order along with my own. The cashier must have told her what I'd done, because as we moved up she leaned out her window and waved to me and mouthed "Thank you.", obviously embarrassed that I had repaid her rudeness with kindness. When I got to the second window I showed them both receipts and took her food too. Now she has to go back to the end of the queue and start all over again,

Don't blow your horn at old people...

On edit: I didn't mean to tell this for true....it was sent to me by a friend in Panama.

German Shepherd Guy
07-19-2020, 04:30 AM
Visiting with a neighbor while I was walking around the neighborhood; we wandered into his garage so he could show me where he was going to have some replastering done. He told me his wife was under the weather. Just then she popped into the garage and I told her I hoped it wasn't the Corona virus. She replied she had stopped drinking, so that couldn't be it. :lol::lol::lol:

Now THAT is funny!

sourdough
07-19-2020, 08:15 AM
I know I shouldn’t have done this, but I am 72 years old and I was in the McDonald’s drive-through this morning and the young lady behind me leaned on her horn and started mouthing something because I was taking too long to place my order. So when I got to the first window I paid for her order along with my own. The cashier must have told her what I'd done, because as we moved up she leaned out her window and waved to me and mouthed "Thank you.", obviously embarrassed that I had repaid her rudeness with kindness. When I got to the second window I showed them both receipts and took her food too. Now she has to go back to the end of the queue and start all over again,

Don't blow your horn at old people...

Ahh Jim, I like the way your mind works...:lol:

travelin texans
07-19-2020, 09:24 AM
That's absolutely perfect!!!
Good for you!

JRTJH
09-16-2020, 08:28 PM
A new sport, coming to your street in the near future !!!!!

sourdough
09-16-2020, 08:45 PM
Ahhhh, perfect! Was wondering where I was going to put this new defense shotgun through its paces!:)

QCMan
09-28-2020, 11:32 AM
My sister was a teacher in a small school district on Long Island, NY. Her two favorite students were the fraternal twins of the Lear family. King and Shandi.