PDA

View Full Version : Poor Design?

t001xa22
01-26-2020, 08:43 AM
I have a 2018 Keystone 178LHS TT. I have had to deal with an issue since I got it new, and was wondering if anyone else with the same model has been able to work around it. It seems that on this particular year model, the heat furnace exhaust is mounted directly below the fresh water city connection. With an inline filter attached, the water hose will naturally droop toward this hot exhaust outlet. This requires that the entire hose assembly has to be angled away from straight down, adding to more strain on the TT water inlet bib. From what I can tell, this design flaw was not inherent on the 2017 or 2019 models. Thoughts please.

JRTJH
01-26-2020, 10:15 AM
This is a problem that's been addressed on the forum in the past. I don't recall any "official Keystone action" being taken, but some members have added a brass elbow to their hose that connects to the city water connection and then added a "hook" or "hanger" to the side of the trailer several feet away. The elbow allows the hose to "run horizontal" for several feet, allowing it to clear the furnace vent.

There is also a 4' hose available for purchase that will allow you to move the water filter away from that location, or, it would probably be simpler to just attach the filter to the campground water faucet and then run the hose from the filter to the elbow, which would eliminate the added weight at the trailer end of the city water connection.

Here is a photo of the brass elbow that I use for my city water connection, it would allow you to route your hose horizontally and avoid the furnace vent. You can buy one on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Degree-Eliminates-Fittings-22505/dp/B003BZD03K/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=RV+city+water+elbow&qid=1580062339&sr=8-1 I also believe I've seen them in WalMart's RV section and they are readily available at any RV parts store. Cost is around $5.

t001xa22
01-26-2020, 12:15 PM
John, thank you very much for your reply. Ironically, I just recently picked up a 90-degree elbow like yours, and fitted it to my unit. It allows me to install the water filter just below the elbow, connect the hose and install a lightly-pulled bungee cord to route the hose away enough to clear the exhaust. It has really puzzled me that Keystone would only make this mistake on the '18 models. Overall, we have enjoyed our TT.

Again, thank you for your comments.

Customer1
01-30-2020, 08:04 PM
Put that filter on the hydrant end of the hose so it isn't hanging on the RV connection.

travelin texans
01-31-2020, 08:48 AM
Put that filter on the hydrant end of the hose so it isn't hanging on the RV connection.

Just after the adjustable regulator.

mtofell
02-02-2020, 08:10 PM
Design flaw? Yes, RVs are all one big design flaw. As a building inspector you could say I'm familiar with codes, rules and things generally being done in a logical manner. That all flies quickly out the window with RVs. There is pretty much zero thought put into how things will actually be used. The main focus from the manufacturer is how fast can it be nailed/glued together and how fast can we get wheels on this thing and get it out of here?

The first one that comes to mind with my 5th wheel was the first day I brought it home and tried to open the sleeper/sofa the range of motion completely ripped the two lower mounts of the window covering clean off the wall.

I absolutely believe the people that design RVs never actually use them.