PDA

View Full Version : i just may be too stupid to be dragging a 5er around the country

labman
01-24-2020, 02:50 PM
On my from MN to AZ I stopped at a comfort inn in Trinidad CO. The entry overhang appeared to be high enough but nope. I tore the front AC right off. I was going slow and stopped immediately when I heard but they must have shear pin kind of bolts cause all four popped and the a/c was dented a bit. To my surprise, the repair guys I checked with all agreed, I must replace the a/c. Every time I come down there is something telling me don't come back.:banghead:

P.S. There was no clearance height posted on the motel entry overhang

labman
01-24-2020, 02:52 PM
I purchased two humongo c clamps and fastened the a/c to the roof and drove the next 850 miles.

notanlines
01-24-2020, 03:05 PM
Dick, the regulars here will remember my little mishap three seasons ago. We ripped both off a low hanging cable. Eventually Comcast's insurance paid the 18K bill. Did you get to use any new or seldom used curse words?

labman
01-24-2020, 03:12 PM
oh, the opportunity for cursing was there for sure but I refrained. I am a work in progress and His grace helps me more than I know. I appreciate hearing I am not alone in this trouble. After last years blown powerstroke and subsequent $13K this is nothing. But I felt pretty stupid doing it.....

flybouy
01-24-2020, 03:23 PM
We're all human, we all make mistakes, some more costly than others. Physical objects can be repaired/replaced so thankfully no one was hurt.

Snoking
01-24-2020, 03:43 PM
This one has been posted many times! Several RV trailers. One at 5:06, 5:44 and 6:40 seconds. Be sure to watch the guy at the very end!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USu8vT_tfdw

sourdough
01-24-2020, 04:15 PM
Sorry to hear about the mishap. Hopefully I will have a new 5th wheel in a month or so and that is something I really worry about. I'm used to carrying 11'6" and kind of have that ingrained when looking....and still almost got the eave of a building trying to get to a gas pump. The new one is about 13'5" and I will have to "re-grain" my brain and hope I don't take an awning out doing it.:D

Randallf
01-24-2020, 05:38 PM
On my from MN to AZ I stopped at a comfort inn in Trinidad CO. The entry overhang appeared to be high enough but nope. I tore the front AC right off. I was going slow and stopped immediately when I heard but they must have shear pin kind of bolts cause all four popped and the a/c was dented a bit. To my surprise, the repair guys I checked with all agreed, I must replace the a/c. Every time I come down there is something telling me don't come back.:banghead:

P.S. There was no clearance height posted on the motel entry overhang
So sorry to hear this , sure makes you mad i'm sure.
However, we all do bad things when were rving. It sure sucks when there is no sign and you have to guess:(
Your post will make sure i never go into a motel and drive under the entrance cover
Good luck getting it fixed and happy trails

Randallf
2017 Sprinter 5th
2016 Silverdo crew cab short bed

rjrelander
01-24-2020, 05:53 PM
This one has been posted many times! Several RV trailers. One at 5:06, 5:44 and 6:40 seconds. Be sure to watch the guy at the very end!!!
I love those videos. They raised the bridge another eight inches in November but it's still claiming victims! :)

gearhead
01-24-2020, 06:08 PM
I almost did it Tuesday. I took the 5th to the shop for awning toppers. I unhitched under the canopy and then looked up and the A/C was right under an I beam. Dang I missed it, barely, I think, yeah I think there is some daylight between, I think, I hope.

Skippy38
01-25-2020, 10:59 AM
Lol...you are not the only one. I pulled under some low hanging trees and ripped my a/c off along with the front and middle main air vents. Also damaged the roof, which needed a total replacement. GEICO covered the entire $6800 bill for the repair and surprisingly did not raise my rate!

larry337
01-25-2020, 09:02 PM
It's all good we're only human. Watch this guy.

https://youtu.be/pxewzpVPgAE24949

labman
01-26-2020, 09:42 AM
Brent, don't want to hijack the thread but I'm in the middle of having them fix me up a new 5th wheel.

haha then what exactly were you trying to do?

sourdough
01-26-2020, 11:18 AM
haha then what exactly were you trying to do?

OP, I wasn't "exactly" trying to hijack your thread. A member mentioned adding slide toppers and thought I would ask a question since it had been on my mind. Did not know it would get much of a response. Sorry it did hijack the thread. I started a new thread (Odds and Ends forum/Slide Toppers thread) and moved the ones that pertained to my question about slide toppers to it so you could keep your thread about your issue.

labman
01-26-2020, 11:30 AM
lol no worries, just the imp in me wanting to act up....Sometimes things strike me funny and my response isn't always on target or taken as intended.

sourdough
01-26-2020, 11:35 AM
lol no worries, just the imp in me wanting to act up....Sometimes things strike me funny and my response isn't always on target or taken as intended.

You made a good point and it needed to be done.

Carvendive
01-30-2020, 08:38 AM
Happed to me AT A RV PARK! I have a ~11' tall cougar - not that tall.
Pulling up to the front office I hit a pipe which at some point had been used for a sigh. Problem is, they removed it so the pipe was nearly noticable. Cut the roof fabric THANKFULLY I missed the AC by 2".

Preyou
01-30-2020, 11:14 AM
Low trees got me. Check this out.
https://giraffeg4.com/

I got one and it seems to work. It has some limitations but best I could find.

DrSmart1
01-30-2020, 12:56 PM
Sorry you had an incident with clearance. Fivers are now coming wired for backup cameras. With these rigs topping out around 13' 5" nowadays, maybe next will be roof top forward facing cameras.

bfisher003
01-30-2020, 01:37 PM
Last Summer we were coming south through Wyoming and pulled into the Glendo State Park. We were driving around trying to find a campsite for our Montana and I pulled into a campsite just to check it out. Got out and looked up and there was a massive tree limb about 3-4” in front of my front A/C!!! That was very close to disaster!!