PDA

View Full Version : Keys: Less is More

LHaven
01-23-2020, 06:27 PM
Our Cougar that we picked up a year ago is the first trailer we've had that had more than one entry door. We thought we had a warranty problem with the door locks not working intermittently, until the dealer informed us that the doors had completely different keys! It never occurred to us that a manufacturer would set up a trailer with different door locks, as it makes no sense whatsoever. (I assume now that it's just too much bother for Keystone to stock paired locksets for two-door units, they just grab a random lockset out of the bin to install in every door that comes down the assembly line.)

When I read in a recent Trailer Life that the Global Link locksets on our Cougar (purple and gray keys) were built with customer-replaceable lock cores, and that their retail subsidiary offered consumer DIY rekeying supplies (http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/LocksKeys/Re-key-your-rv), I jumped at the chance.

I immediately sent away for two new cores that matched the key for our "main" door, to install in the bedroom door. They arrived today, and in very few minutes, I had the old cores out, the new cores in, and a significantly less-bulgy key wallet.

The entire project cost me only $20. (I didn't bother to spend the extra $10 renting the "rekey tool," since the trick to it was obvious from the instructional video, and anyone familiar with locks can do the job without it.)

If you want, you can also buy extra cores and rekey your storage compartments to the same key as your entry door -- I decided not to, because there was security value to me in occasionally being able to grant someone access to one area but not the other. However, you can also key them to a completely different (purple) key, because (just like the infamous CH751 hatch key) all Global Link hatch locksets as manufactured are keyed to identical gray keys. :facepalm:

So, bottom line, if you are tired of having to fiddle with keys in dark campgrounds to find the proper one for the door you're in front of, you can now remedy this for only $20 (or $30) and a few minutes effort.

:hpyclp::bdance::hpyclp:

chuckster57
01-23-2020, 07:15 PM
In almost 9 years as an RV tech, I can say that I’ve only seen 1 trailer with 2 or more entry doors keyed alike. You gotta remember the people on the assembly line walk over to a big box on a pallet and grab 1,2 or 3 locksets. Put them in the doors and put the keys wherever they go.

It may not be exactly like I stated, but you get the idea. And it’s ALL brands and lines.

Brantlyj
01-23-2020, 08:05 PM
Our Cougar that we picked up a year ago is the first trailer we've had that had more than one entry door. We thought we had a warranty problem with the door locks not working intermittently, until the dealer informed us that the doors had completely different keys! It never occurred to us that a manufacturer would set up a trailer with different door locks, as it makes no sense whatsoever. (I assume now that it's just too much bother for Keystone to stock paired locksets for two-door units, they just grab a random lockset out of the bin to install in every door that comes down the assembly line.)

When I read in a recent Trailer Life that the Global Link locksets on our Cougar (purple and gray keys) were built with customer-replaceable lock cores, and that their retail subsidiary offered consumer DIY rekeying supplies (https://www.rvlocksandmore.com/LocksKeys/Re-key-your-rv), I jumped at the chance.

I immediately sent away for two new cores that matched the key for our "main" door, to install in the bedroom door. They arrived today, and in very few minutes, I had the old cores out, the new cores in, and a significantly less-bulgy key wallet.

The entire project cost me only $20. (I didn't bother to spend the extra $10 renting the "rekey tool," since the trick to it was obvious from the instructional video, and anyone familiar with locks can do the job without it.)

If you want, you can also buy extra cores and rekey your storage compartments to the same key as your entry door -- I decided not to, because there was security value to me in occasionally being able to grant someone access to one area but not the other. However, you can also key them to a completely different (purple) key, because (just like the infamous CH751 hatch key) all Global Link hatch locksets as manufactured are keyed to identical gray keys. :facepalm:

So, bottom line, if you are tired of having to fiddle with keys in dark campgrounds to find the proper one for the door you're in front of, you can now remedy this for only $20 (or $30) and a few minutes effort.

Your links are not working. Could you check them again? Very interested in this. Hate having two keys.

LHaven
01-23-2020, 10:57 PM
Your links are not working. Could you check them again? Very interested in this. Hate having two keys.

I don't know what's happening. Twice I have corrected this link from https to http; I test it, and it works. Then I reload the page, and something in the forum has converted the links back to https. https doesn't work at that site, so the link fails.

Here it is in plaintext, and if it gets changed to https here, I give up.

http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/LocksKeys/Re-key-your-rv

(Wow, this is INCREDIBLY intrusive! ADMINS???)

I guess all you can do is copy the string, paste it in your browser, and edit the extra s out first before hitting enter. That should get you there.

Big1
01-23-2020, 11:52 PM
I replace all of my locks with RVLOCK.com, even my compartment doors I replace them all.

SummitPond
01-24-2020, 02:28 AM
Before the PDI my dealer's tech rekeyed all locks (but the outside shower) to be the same, without asking. And it wasn't to CH751!

Northofu1
01-24-2020, 03:49 AM
Before the PDI my dealer's tech rekeyed all locks (but the outside shower) to be the same, without asking. And it wasn't to CH751!

That's a nice touch, your new trailer looks nice too.

notanlines
01-24-2020, 04:06 AM
Go with this instead:
http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/
Drop the s....

MarkEHansen
01-24-2020, 04:36 AM
@LHaven - based on the video, you need to use one of their $50 yellow keys to remove the core. How did you get the old cores out without that "tool"?

flybouy
01-24-2020, 08:15 AM
I changed the locks on our unit after we bought it back in 2011. Did the same on the camper before that one years ago. Went on rvlocksandmore.com and ordered one lockset that matched the number on the front door lock and ordered the same numbered key cam locks for all other compartment doors. No longer feel like a "high school janitor" or a "jailer" carrying all those keys.

As for trusting someone going into my storage compartment, well I keep it unlocked when I'm there and see no need for anyone that I wouldn't trust in the camper to have a key to the compartment if I'm not there.

JRTJH
01-24-2020, 08:22 AM

If you're talking about your new trailer, yes, that is a nice touch. If you're talking about your previous trailer, the 2015 Bullet, changing the locks may have been a result of the "lock recall" issued by FIC (not Keystone). Some dealerships did the complete fleet on their lot during that time frame, other dealerships ignored it and hoped they didn't have an owner come back for service (the recall, IIRC, didn't pay for labor to change the locks, so dealers didn't make anything from the recall).

77cruiser
01-24-2020, 11:27 AM
Try this.

http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/

srvnt
01-24-2020, 01:01 PM
I was able to get 2 keyed alike locks from keystone because of the recall so they have the ability to do it on new ones. How stupid. that's like GM having have a key for each of my car doors, trunk or tailgate and ignition. Another "why did they do that?".

MarkEHansen
01-24-2020, 01:39 PM
I asked Keystone specifically if I can get two door handles keyed alike and they told me no. Yes, this is profoundly stupid, IMHO.

flybouy
01-24-2020, 02:55 PM
This strictly a "SWAG" but I'm guessing that like so many "why Don"t they just" issues it boils down to an increased cost. The cost to purchase keyed alike sets would certainly be more as the OEM is not going to spend the time to match them up, devise a method to keep them together thru shipment and delivery. Then there would be the increase cost when installing to ensure they match.

If Keystone implemented all of the "they should just" items I have seen posted they would end up pricing themselves out of business.

Comparing the the manufacturing of autos and RV's just isn't possible if you see the differences in the process.

JMHO

srvnt
01-24-2020, 04:11 PM
If there was a price increase just because 2 locks are keyed alike it would not be much. It wouldn't be asking much or any cost for putting a light switch where light switches are supposed to go etc. I think we could afford 2 or 3 feet of extra wire so the DW could reach a switch unlike the ones that they put near the ceiling. Even with additional cost it's no excuse to cheap out on safety items like non-venting recirculating range fans. Of course i was aware of the quality issues as this is not our first trailer, not complaining just disappointed.
Stupid engineering.
Sub-par materials and parts
For 30 grand I expected a little more, like keyed alike door locks, and a place to put the toilet paper roll holder. :)

flybouy
01-24-2020, 05:56 PM
If there was a price increase just because 2 locks are keyed alike it would not be much. It wouldn't be asking much or any cost for putting a light switch where light switches are supposed to go etc. I think we could afford 2 or 3 feet of extra wire so the DW could reach a switch unlike the ones that they put near the ceiling. Even with additional cost it's no excuse to cheap out on safety items like non-venting recirculating range fans. Of course i was aware of the quality issues as this is not our first trailer, not complaining just disappointed.
Stupid engineering.
Sub-par materials and parts
For 30 grand I expected a little more, like keyed alike door locks, and a place to put the toilet paper roll holder. :)

How is a non-vented range hood a safety issue?

chuckster57
01-24-2020, 06:08 PM
In almost 9 years as an RV tech, I can say that I’ve only seen 1 trailer with 2 or more entry doors keyed alike. You gotta remember the people on the assembly line walk over to a big box on a pallet and grab 1,2 or 3 locksets. Put them in the doors and put the keys wherever they go.

It may not be exactly like I stated, but you get the idea. And it’s ALL brands and lines.

Like I said before, I bet it’s a matter of speed on the assembly line so the person at that stations grabs 1,2 or 3 entry locksets and doesn’t have time to “go digging” for matches sets. It would be a logistic issue trying to set up lock sets prior to a unit reaching that station.

jamtracy
01-24-2020, 06:50 PM
I replace all of my locks with RVLOCK.com, even my compartment doors I replace them all.
I did our 2 main doors with the keyless locks. Their black friday special is always 40 percent off. I changed out a lot of the baggage locks as well.

SummitPond
01-25-2020, 06:20 AM
If you're talking about your new trailer, yes, that is a nice touch. ...

John

Yes, the new unit.

... If you're talking about your previous trailer, the 2015 Bullet, changing the locks may have been a result of the "lock recall" issued by FIC (not Keystone). Some dealerships did the complete fleet on their lot during that time frame, other dealerships ignored it and hoped they didn't have an owner come back for service (the recall, IIRC, didn't pay for labor to change the locks, so dealers didn't make anything from the recall).

We did have a problem (once) with the 19FBPR; I don't exactly remember the setup as to why it occurred or when it happened, but my DW was unable to get out of the trailer. We were square dance camping at that time and one of our friends was passing by the TT so the DW passed her key out the window and she got out. I never received notification from Keystone or the dealer about this issue, and for some reason I never made the connection to the faulty lock, as I am sure I read about it in this forum.

MarkEHansen
01-25-2020, 06:39 AM
Based on the instruction video referenced by the OP, it looks like you need a special "yellow" key (at $50) to remove the lock cylinders - but there was also a comment that it was easy to remove the lock cylinders. How can this be done without the special "yellow" key?

LHaven
01-27-2020, 05:12 PM
@LHaven - based on the video, you need to use one of their $50 yellow keys to remove the core. How did you get the old cores out without that "tool"?

Sorry for some reason I wasn't getting any notifications on this topic, so I didn't see this until now.

If you watch the video on how to change the lock, they explain what is special about the yellow key that makes it work. Once you understand that, about 10 seconds worth of thought will tell you how to do it without the yellow key. If not, order the cores anyway, and when they come in it will be immediately obvious to you how to make this work, plus you'll have a couple of naked cores to practice on.

Brantlyj
01-27-2020, 06:56 PM
Like I said before, I bet it’s a matter of speed on the assembly line so the person at that stations grabs 1,2 or 3 entry locksets and doesn’t have time to “go digging” for matches sets. It would be a logistic issue trying to set up lock sets prior to a unit reaching that station.

The master and deadbolt already have to be matched sets. So instead of packing them in sets or two they could pack in sets of four. Really pretty simple on the manufacturing side and wouldn’t cost them a dime more.
What it probably comes down to is they know that if they have it mismatched they can sell an additional set of lock sets and the dealer gets some labor $$ as well.

flybouy
01-27-2020, 07:10 PM
Brant, I don't think you understand how this works. The door handle (inside and out) is assembled at the factory with the cores installed, then shipped to Keystone as an assembly. Sort of like buying a lock set for your house.

I don't think selling keys is a high "high profit margin" item for the RV dealership.

LHaven
01-27-2020, 07:24 PM
The master and deadbolt already have to be matched sets. So instead of packing them in sets or two they could pack in sets of four.

No, the unit in question is the integrated door latch, which comes complete with both of those cores, and those two match by definition.

chuckster57
01-27-2020, 07:28 PM
Changing out a lockset pays .5 at most, not much!! I can’t reveal how much the dealer makes on the parts but it isn’t much either.

NO manufacturer is in the kahoots with ANY dealer that I’m aware of so thinking that the factory is setting a dealer up to make money is simply not true. Spend some time in my shoes and you just might be suprised at how the RV industry actually operates.

Brantlyj
01-27-2020, 07:38 PM
Brant, I don't think you understand how this works. The door handle (inside and out) is assembled at the factory with the cores installed, then shipped to Keystone as an assembly. Sort of like buying a lock set for your house.

I don't think selling keys is a high "high profit margin" item for the RV dealership.

Then they could pack them as two assembly’s to a package. This isn’t exactly rocket since for a manufacturer. I have 4 access doors plus the outside shower and they are all keyed the same. but the main doors are different from each other.
To me this is just another example of the RV industry not really caring about the end user and everyone just accepting it as status quo.

Brantlyj
01-27-2020, 07:46 PM
Changing out a lockset pays .5 at most, not much!! I can’t reveal how much the dealer makes on the parts but it isn’t much either.

NO manufacturer is in the kahoots with ANY dealer that I’m aware of so thinking that the factory is setting a dealer up to make money is simply not true. Spend some time in my shoes and you just might be suprised at how the RV industry actually operates.

Perhaps, but being in distribution and manufacturing for 20 years I know for a fact that this situation is more common than not so the dealer can provide an up sell. In this case it’s either laziness or apathy as I know that it would not cost the rv builders nor the latch manufacturer any more money to provide them as a matched set.

chuckster57
01-27-2020, 07:57 PM
I know for a fact that this situation is more common than not so the dealer can provide an up sell.

And you would have the wrong facts I’m sorry to say. RV dealers can choose which brands/lines they want to sell with the only restriction being geographic. The ONLY incentive that I know of, based on conversations with dealership owners is a discounted price per unit if multiple units are purchased from the factory. Maybe in other industries it is practiced, but I sure would like to see proof that it is part of the RV industry.

sourdough
01-27-2020, 07:59 PM
Brantlyj, seems you have the RV industry figured out and know they are trying to "get to you". My thought would be why in the world would you buy something and then rant and rave about it when you seemingly knew what the animal was? If you want it, like it, buy it....deal with it IMO. Carrying on about a lockset on an RV you chose to buy is sort of like complaining someone didn't tie your shoes for you..... Not trying to be ugly but we all have some responsibility in buying what we do and making sure it is what we want. If it turns out we don't like something and we didn't check....where is that fault? Again, JMO.

Brantlyj
01-27-2020, 08:13 PM
And you would have the wrong facts I’m sorry to say. RV dealers can choose which brands/lines they want to sell with the only restriction being geographic. The ONLY incentive that I know of, based on conversations with dealership owners is a discounted price per unit if multiple units are purchased from the factory. Maybe in other industries it is practiced, but I sure would like to see proof that it is part of the RV industry.

I guess I didn’t clarify properly. Maybe that’s not the situation here. I’ll take your word for it being your on the inside so to speak, but it’s not unheard of in other instances.

Brantlyj
01-27-2020, 08:26 PM
Brantlyj, seems you have the RV industry figured out and know they are trying to "get to you". My thought would be why in the world would you buy something and then rant and rave about it when you seemingly knew what the animal was? If you want it, like it, buy it....deal with it IMO. Carrying on about a lockset on an RV you chose to buy is sort of like complaining someone didn't tie your shoes for you..... Not trying to be ugly but we all have some responsibility in buying what we do and making sure it is what we want. If it turns out we don't like something and we didn't check....where is that fault? Again, JMO.

Dude, not sure why this bugs you so much. It’s a common theme for you. Like your personally offended that people that spend as much for an rv as they do for a car would expect a little pride and quality. I knew exactly what I was getting into however my wife and I both work two jobs. Anything we do extra I consider is X hours worked at the pt job. So yea, I like to get good value for my hard work.
You ranted and raved for a week about your new truck about how you couldn’t get the exact configuration you wanted and how you were kind of forced to buy up on features you didn’t want to get features you did want. That’s no different here and yet no one told you to get over it and accept that you had to shell out money for something you didn’t need or want.
Im not ranting and raving about a lock set. It’s $15. Big deal in the grand scheme of things. I read several posts that it’s impractical and too expensive for a manufacturer to providing matching lock sets and I’m just mentioning that it simply isn’t true based on my observation of how manufacturing works.

JRTJH
01-27-2020, 09:41 PM
Im not ranting and raving about a lock set. It’s $15. Big deal in the grand scheme of things. I read several posts that it’s impractical and too expensive for a manufacturer to providing matching lock sets and I’m just mentioning that it simply isn’t true based on my observation of how manufacturing works.

Just a suggestion: Have you considered contacting Keystone with your complaint? With your knowledge of merchandising and manufacturing, you could outline the problem, your suggested solutions and even detail, for Keystone, how little it would cost them, or even project increased sales based on improved customer satisfaction as an incentive for Keystone to adopt your suggestions....

Whether it's a "rant" a "rave" or just "bitching to be heard" trust me when I say that you'd be just as "well heard by someone who can make a difference" by walking into the middle of the forest and "screaming your head off" at each and every tree... They'll still be "swaying in the breeze, oblivious to your noise, long after you give up and go back home"..... Same with making suggestions of what Keystone ought to do that are posted on this forum.

flybouy
01-28-2020, 02:19 AM
Maybe Keystone does this as a "safety" feature, after all, the auto industry had one key for the trunk and one for the ignition for many, many decades.

https://www.nytimes.com/1992/12/29/business/company-news-one-key-or-2-for-the-car-innovation-is-unwanted.html

I cannot speak for Keystone but I can relate my experiences. In my past experience in industries including retail and restaurants (yes they are industries, they have highly mechanized, computer controlled distribution centers, commissaries etc. that can span several hundreds of thousands of Sq. ft.) time management is taken seriously.

Most large corporations either have in-house time management engineers or they regularly pay a firm that specializes in time management. Here's just one example... https://industrialtimestudy.com/timestudy-methods/ I linked this site as an example and do endorse them in any way.

It's simple math, if a company can save a "meager or insignificant" cost to you or I of $15 and they produce 10,000 units yearly then they can save $150,000 per year. So it's easy to see that all it takes is a cumulative savings that can reach 6 figures or more. That's profit right to the bottom line. Yes profit, they are after all doing this to make money, they are not 501 C 3 non profit organizations.

It seems obvious to me that having all the "simple" or little things" that irritate us would cumitavly increase the cost of the product that's most likely in their business model. So you can't buy a burger at McD's and expect a Ruth Crisp's steak even though they are both beef.

LHaven
01-28-2020, 02:58 AM
Carrying on about a lockset on an RV you chose to buy is sort of like complaining someone didn't tie your shoes for you..... Not trying to be ugly but we all have some responsibility in buying what we do and making sure it is what we want. If it turns out we don't like something and we didn't check....where is that fault?

To be completely fair, before I bought this rig, I would no more have dreamed that someone would sell me an RV that had two differently keyed doors than I would have dreamed that Ford would sell me a tow vehicle that had two differently keyed doors. I would no more have checked for this at walkthrough than I would have checked inside the water heater for mice. I will say after learning that this is common practice in the industry, it has lowered my bar for the phrase "common sense" when speaking about the RV industry.

Brantlyj
01-28-2020, 07:06 AM
Just a suggestion: Have you considered contacting Keystone with your complaint? With your knowledge of merchandising and manufacturing, you could outline the problem, your suggested solutions and even detail, for Keystone, how little it would cost them, or even project increased sales based on improved customer satisfaction as an incentive for Keystone to adopt your suggestions....

Whether it's a "rant" a "rave" or just "bitching to be heard" trust me when I say that you'd be just as "well heard by someone who can make a difference" by walking into the middle of the forest and "screaming your head off" at each and every tree... They'll still be "swaying in the breeze, oblivious to your noise, long after you give up and go back home"..... Same with making suggestions of what Keystone ought to do that are posted on this forum.

I was just trying to have a conversation and offering of a differing of opinion. Not really sure why that warranted the attitude.
Seems a common theme here though. Someone asks about proper weights and it’s all roses. The word quality is spoken and the Site Team swoops in and tells the person to just get over it, and most time pretty harshly.

Northofu1
01-28-2020, 08:35 AM
No one ever had a beer (or 3) with a coworker bitching about work?
Sometimes the natives are restless, it's a long winter for some.
The tree thing is good, it will never stare at you with that fly catching mouth gape. :lol:
Ok, Carry on as if you were normal :)

JRTJH
01-28-2020, 09:07 AM
I was just trying to have a conversation and offering of a differing of opinion. Not really sure why that warranted the attitude.
Seems a common theme here though. Someone asks about proper weights and it’s all roses. The word quality is spoken and the Site Team swoops in and tells the person to just get over it, and most time pretty harshly.

My point is, NOBODY on this site can "fix your problem". The problem is that YOU are frustrated with what KEYSTONE is doing.... That's a "problem between YOU AND KEYSTONE"

Yelling about it here (or even discussing it rationally here) will not resolve the issue. It's simply "hot air fanning the inferno".

If you "want" to work on fixing it, contact Keystone, If you want to "bitch about it" feel free to do so (as long as it doesn't violate the forum rules), but know "deep down in your soul" that it's all a "wasted effort" because Keystone doesn't read this site, has never joined this site, won't respond on this site and "won't hear your bitchin".

In other words, you're wasting your time by complaining about it here, the effort won't affect change, so the effort is "akin to screaming at trees".....

JRTJH
01-28-2020, 09:29 AM
No one ever had a beer (or 3) with a coworker bitching about work?
Sometimes the natives are restless, it's a long winter for some.
The tree thing is good, it will never stare at you with that fly catching mouth gape. :lol:
Ok, Carry on as if you were normal :)

Yeap (3 or 6 or 9), and invariably, once that coworker has his final beer and passes out, someone will remark, "He'll wake up and probably not even remember what he said, who's turn is it to buy the next round?" …. and the world keeps turning, the sun will come up tomorrow and "coworker" will have one hell of a headache while the boss didn't hear anything he said, nothing at work will change and next Friday, if he's "keyed to bitch" we'll hear it all over again...….

Northofu1
01-28-2020, 11:10 AM
Yeap (3 or 6 or 9), and invariably, once that coworker has his final beer and passes out, someone will remark, "He'll wake up and probably not even remember what he said, who's turn is it to buy the next round?" …. and the world keeps turning, the sun will come up tomorrow and "coworker" will have one hell of a headache while the boss didn't hear anything he said, nothing at work will change and next Friday, if he's "keyed to bitch" we'll hear it all over again...….

:thewave: :horse: :thewave:

Jfreek65
01-28-2020, 09:48 PM
I’ve been reading this thread off and on this week and was messing around and saw Keystone is advertising one key for their Sprinter tt line. So maybe the future includes campers without a million keys 24997

LHaven
01-28-2020, 10:22 PM
Let's hope Keystone's chosen "one key" isn't a CH751. :surprise:

chuckster57
01-29-2020, 01:56 AM
“Keyed alike” or “one key” has been around for a couple of years. One advantage is that a single key does both the entry door and compartment doors. Pass key still only opens the entry handle, not the deadbolt and now not the compartments.

And no it isn’t the CH751

spade117
01-29-2020, 06:13 AM
I use the same key on both entry doors. I believe it only the same key for the deadbolts and the other locks are keyed differently.

All the compartment doors and outdoor shower are keyed alike with CH751, so I only use 2 of the 3 keys (6 if you count duplicates) that came with the trailer.

Camp CA
01-29-2020, 07:46 AM
.........if you are tired of having to fiddle with keys in dark campgrounds to find the proper one for the door you're in front of, you can now remedy this ...............:hpyclp::bdance::hpyclp:

Ever consider a keyless combination door latch / deadbolt with a wireless fob?

LHaven
01-29-2020, 10:58 AM
Ever consider a keyless combination door latch / deadbolt with a wireless fob?

Adds too many new "maintenance opportunities" for "convenience" I didn't really need.

Also introduces the potential for some Korean/Indian/Russian blackhat to discover an product-wide exploit that immediately renders everybody's locks worthess (examples from my own industry: 1 (https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2007/04/new-attack-cracks-wep-in-record-time/), shortly followed by 2 (https://www.krackattacks.com); or here (https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/) for a scarier one in the automotive world).

I know that if somebody wants to cozen my trailer open now, he at least needs to bring some personal skill to the game, not just buy a download off the darkweb and push a button on his smartphone.

(I guess there is no smiley for vampire-cross-fingers.)

flybouy
01-29-2020, 11:16 AM
Adds too many new "maintenance opportunities" for "convenience" I didn't really need.

Also introduces the potential for some Korean/Indian/Russian blackhat to discover an product-wide exploit that immediately renders everybody's locks worthess (examples from my own industry: 1 (https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2007/04/new-attack-cracks-wep-in-record-time/), shortly followed by 2 (https://www.krackattacks.com); or here (https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/) for a scarier one in the automotive world).

I know that if somebody wants to cozen my trailer open now, he at least needs to bring some personal skill to the game, not just buy a download off the darkweb and push a button on his smartphone.

(I guess there is no smiley for vampire-cross-fingers.)
Sounds like the "black helicopters" are hovering nearby. :lol:

LHaven
01-29-2020, 11:36 AM
Sounds like the "black helicopters" are hovering nearby. :lol:

Being in the wireless Internet business as I was until June, the black helicopters strafed me personally twice last year. A whole lot of emergency work that I really did not need, to recover from a zero-day exploit that had been in our routers for 15 years. As a rule, I try not to voluntarily walk into dark alleys I don't have a real need to be in.

flybouy
01-29-2020, 11:45 AM
Being in the wireless Internet business as I was until June, the black helicopters strafed me personally twice last year. A whole lot of emergency work that I really did not need, to recover from a zero-day exploit that had been in our routers for 15 years. As a rule, I try not to voluntarily walk into dark alleys I don't have a real need to be in.

So I'm guessing you don't have wireless cames at your place.:lol:

It's amazing how "vulnerable" the avg person is with all the wifi connections in appliances, cars, retail environments, etc. And now, folks are "pairing up" their phones to their cars & to the web so they can control the house with Alexa. Meanwhile, their RFDI chipped credit cards are 2 feet away in their wallets.:hide:

It's a "brave new world".:whistling:

Camp CA
01-29-2020, 01:05 PM
Adds too many new "maintenance opportunities" for "convenience" .......

OK I just added a new "maintenance opportunity" by installing a RUPSE RV keyless entry door lock latch handle knob deadbolt with keypad & 20 m wireless remote control fob for $159. I got the idea from Changing Lanes and if avoids having to have door keys hidden on the trailer in the battery or LPG compartment doors, which do not lock. I have the original keyed entry door lock as a backup.

daveinaz
01-30-2020, 08:28 AM

Me too. Bought new door and compartment locks from them. All keyed alike and not with the universal key that seems to fit everything.

uechikid
01-30-2020, 09:29 AM

When I read in a recent Trailer Life that the Global Link locksets on our Cougar (purple and gray keys) were built with customer-replaceable lock cores, and that their retail subsidiary offered consumer DIY rekeying supplies (https://www.rvlocksandmore.com/LocksKeys/Re-key-your-rv), I jumped at the chance.

Thanks for the tip. I'm new to the RV world. I have so many question and so much to learn.

flybouy
01-30-2020, 10:12 AM
OK I just added a new "maintenance opportunity" by installing a RUPSE RV keyless entry door lock latch handle knob deadbolt with keypad & 20 m wireless remote control fob for $159. I got the idea from Changing Lanes and if avoids having to have door keys hidden on the trailer in the battery or LPG compartment doors, which do not lock. I have the original keyed entry door lock as a backup.

Another plus to rekeying all the locks is having lot's of spare keys. I rekeyed our unit and with the 2 exterior doors, the outside kitchen, shower, and storage compartments totals 6 lock sets. Each lockset came with 2 keys so a total of 12 keys. I ordered an extra set of keys that have the small LED light built in so that made 14 keys.

When we camp I just give anyone that needs access a key on a key ring from out insurance agent (he keeps a bucket full of them on the receptionists desk. If they loose it then it's really not that big a deal.

BulletOwner1
01-30-2020, 09:28 PM
In my humble opinion I think a lot of you guys are way overthinking this issue. To remedy the problem of figuring out which key to use I filed out notches in one key. That way, even in the dark, I can find the key I'm looking for. Just filed a couple of notches in the edges of the key and it's easily differentiated from the other.

Or am I underthinking this?? :popcorn:

flybouy
01-31-2020, 03:26 AM
Overthinking it? For me it was having a camper cleaned out from it's pass thru contents while in storage. Someone with a CH751 key emptied out every camper in the storage lot with the universally used key in the middle of winter. The cops knew it was someone who was aware that the storage facility reused their surveillance tapes every 2 weeks.

So to me it only made sense to get rid of all the CH751 locks by keying them to the front door. At that point it made sense to me to make it unanimous and replace the second entry door lock and throw that set in the toolbox in case one failed. That set came in handy some years later when my Godson was camping with us and his brother broke the key off in the lock of his trailer and destroyed the lock. Gave him my spare and saved him some grief on a Holiday weekend.

So for you filing a notch works, for someone else maybe putting those colored rings on the key works, someone else may use different color fingernail polish to differentiate. We all have different reasons for our "thinking".

chuckster57
01-31-2020, 03:57 AM
I make it a point during every walkthrough to inform the customer about the CH751 key. I haven’t changed mine but I store my trailer in my side yard behind a fence.

flybouy
01-31-2020, 04:41 AM
I make it a point during every walkthrough to inform the customer about the CH751 key. I haven’t changed mine but I store my trailer in my side yard behind a fence.

Thankfully there are forums such as this for folks to research. My first 2 units were used, private party purchases pre internet forums. It cost me a screen room and a bunch of other stuff to learn that lesson.

I'm amazed to this day how many people are unaware of this. If I see a new owner camped beside me accessing a compartment I'll ask them if they are aware of how many people have a key to open their storage doors. Not all PDI's are as though as yours are unfortunately .

travelin texans
01-31-2020, 08:44 AM
With or without the "everybody has one" storage keys if someone wants in the compartment they will/can be in it faster without a key using a pry bar or large screwdriver & quite honestly not do a lot of damage. Locks only keep honest people out!
Our last 5th wheel the storage didn't have that universal key, but the "lockable file drawer", where you put important papers, did use it. Made perfect sense???

flybouy
01-31-2020, 09:08 AM
With or without the "everybody has one" storage keys if someone wants in the compartment they will/can be in it faster without a key using a pry bar or large screwdriver & quite honestly not do a lot of damage. Locks only keep honest people out!
Our last 5th wheel the storage didn't have that universal key, but the "lockable file drawer", where you put important papers, did use it. Made perfect sense???

The only lock that has discouraged an attempted breach that I'm aware of is is in KY. Of course I'm thinking the 23,000 army personnel along with the Calvary Regiment and the Armoured Brigade may have something to with that. :)

BulletOwner1
01-31-2020, 10:13 AM
Overthinking it? For me it was having a camper cleaned out from it's pass thru contents while in storage. Someone with a CH751 key emptied out every camper in the storage lot with the universally used key in the middle of winter. The cops knew it was someone who was aware that the storage facility reused their surveillance tapes every 2 weeks.

So to me it only made sense to get rid of all the CH751 locks by keying them to the front door. At that point it made sense to me to make it unanimous and replace the second entry door lock and throw that set in the toolbox in case one failed. That set came in handy some years later when my Godson was camping with us and his brother broke the key off in the lock of his trailer and destroyed the lock. Gave him my spare and saved him some grief on a Holiday weekend.

So for you filing a notch works, for someone else maybe putting those colored rings on the key works, someone else may use different color fingernail polish to differentiate. We all have different reasons for our "thinking".

The original post was a comment on the differences in the entry door keys/locks on the same RV. And how difficult it was to determine the correct key in the dark. The next series of comments was discussing how to either buy new locks, re-key the locks to the same key etc. This is what I was responding to.

Without a doubt, the issue of the compartment door locks on so many RV's being identical is worth discussing. It just was not what the original poster was looking to talk about. We don't full time so I don't worry too much about it. If I did I'd probably look to upgrading the situation. Also getting better door locks, possibly keyless entry, would be in the cards.

LHaven
01-23-2021, 03:59 PM

It's even worse than that.

As I discovered this week when I got my faulty door (https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44499) replaced, Amos doesn't grab locksets on the assembly line, he grabs whole doors with locksets already on them! That certainly makes it uneconomical for a manufacturer to provide keyed-alike doors.

When I went to pick up my rig after the door repair, my key wouldn't work. Then the service guy hands me two new keys. I told him I already went through the effort to make my doors keyed-alike and I would like my original lock, please. Apparently, this has never been an issue before. He argued that the work order didn't say anything about retaining the old lock. I rebutted that it didn't say anything about the locks being changed, either, and I had no way of knowing how Lippert shipped doors. He had to find the old door (and my old key), and swap the latch back out. Between this and other delays at his shop, this "two-hour, same-day" service issue will be six days old by the time I get to pick it up.

And of course, they want to charge me twice what they quoted. They even wanted to charge me the "non-member" service rate by claiming I didn't buy the rig there. Now, if that were my next rig, they'd be right.

flybouy
01-23-2021, 04:18 PM
Sounds like real racket. Speaking of, DW called down to Frontier Town CG in Ocean City, MD for reservations for a week in April. After going thru the site number, days, etc. they said for $25 we could "lock in the site". What? We just reserved the site what you talking about locking it in? Apparently, now they can "bump" you to another site even though you reserved it months in advance. What a scam for $25.

vampress_me
01-23-2021, 04:55 PM
Sounds like real racket. Speaking of, DW called down to Frontier Town CG in Ocean City, MD for reservations for a week in April. After going thru the site number, days, etc. they said for $25 we could "lock in the site". What? We just reserved the site what you talking about locking it in? Apparently, now they can "bump" you to another site even though you reserved it months in advance. What a scam for $25.

Just think of it as like an airline reservation. You reserve a ticket, but have to pay extra for a specific seat. :nonono: In reality, I’m hoping this does NOT catch on at other campgrounds.

mike95776
11-27-2021, 05:09 PM
One of the best investments we have made was to install a touch pad door lock... No more thinking about if I have a key when......ever! I was concerned that the battery would need constant replacement but we have had the same set of batteries in the lock for over a year...

We recently camped with some friends and he thought she had a key and she thought he did... luckily they had left a window open a crack or.... it would have gotten ugly. Marital spats are never fun at the campsite...The locks run around $170 to $200 .... No more finger pointing... Yes, I also have a hidden key.... I always have a plan B...

here is the amazon link https://smile.amazon.com/RVLock-Compact-Keyless-Handle-Integrated/dp/B07HPF1M83/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=trailer+touch+pad+door+lock&qid=1638061249&qsid=147-1857023-0219632&sr=8-5&sres=B096VR4261%2CB07Y8PV9MZ%2CB00N58KQMQ%2CB07HPF 1M83%2CB00R7JVFCE%2CB000CJ1OZ4%2CB08W1Y9PDJ%2CB085 T5XFWK%2CB081JPJ8FW%2CB07Y5V15SY%2CB08Y8QTN7T%2CB0 8D29XQS7%2CB07V1CHK7W%2CB089SJ5N6J%2CB09BCFWJK4%2C B00H1B5E3E%2CB0168IXO3M%2CB07RZ58571%2CB07WCW8M72% 2CB08THQCFGX&srpt=LOCK

RickV
11-28-2021, 03:06 AM
One of the best investments we have made was to install a touch pad door lock... No more thinking about if I have a key when......ever! I was concerned that the battery would need constant replacement but we have had the same set of batteries in the lock for over a year...

We recently camped with some friends and he thought she had a key and she thought he did... luckily they had left a window open a crack or.... it would have gotten ugly. Marital spats are never fun at the campsite...The locks run around $170 to $200 .... No more finger pointing... Yes, I also have a hidden key.... I always have a plan B...

here is the amazon link https://smile.amazon.com/RVLock-Compact-Keyless-Handle-Integrated/dp/B07HPF1M83/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=trailer+touch+pad+door+lock&qid=1638061249&qsid=147-1857023-0219632&sr=8-5&sres=B096VR4261%2CB07Y8PV9MZ%2CB00N58KQMQ%2CB07HPF 1M83%2CB00R7JVFCE%2CB000CJ1OZ4%2CB08W1Y9PDJ%2CB085 T5XFWK%2CB081JPJ8FW%2CB07Y5V15SY%2CB08Y8QTN7T%2CB0 8D29XQS7%2CB07V1CHK7W%2CB089SJ5N6J%2CB09BCFWJK4%2C B00H1B5E3E%2CB0168IXO3M%2CB07RZ58571%2CB07WCW8M72% 2CB08THQCFGX&srpt=LOCKWe did the same thing with the old 5er. I kept the old lock assembly and when we traded it in on this new one I swapped the original lock back in and installed the touchpad on the new one.