PDA

View Full Version : 2020 gm trucks have a NEW frame

cougarpelt
01-22-2020, 01:42 PM
I traded up from a 2015 sliverado 1500 crewcab short bed to 2020 crewcab short bed 5' 10"). You can imagine how surprised I am to find that NONE of the hitch manufacturers currently make an adapter kit that will bolt to the 2020 and couple with my HUSKY 16kw hitch that puts the hitch directly over the rear axel. they make one for the long bed 6' 10" bed but not for the short bed. Nothing my Keystone dealership has been able to find fits the 2020 model the way my old one did. The long bed kit will not give me clearance between cougar half ton and truck. I have a brand new truck that I can't hook to my 5th wheel???? CAN ANYONE HELP!!! Chevrolet 2020 1500 short bed (5'10") bed to a Husky 16kw hitch. Even the new hitches say that the adapter kits are :COMING SOON"!!!!
wow how GM blindsided the dealership, my salesman, my RV dealership and ME!
I should note that my RV dealership ordered and received "the kit I needed" about a month before my truck arrived from the factory; only to find out that the kit he had was for a 6'10" bed. He just order based on my request for a "short bed" kit assuming that the short bed was 6'10". In the 2020 there are 2 beds you can get with a crew cab … a short bed 5'10" and a long bed 6'10". Chevy makes a 8' bed (which he assumed was a "long bed" but only for the standard cab work truck in 2020.

Logan X
01-22-2020, 02:08 PM
You’re towing a 16k fifth wheel with a half ton short bed truck?

cougarpelt
01-22-2020, 02:18 PM
no the hitch is a Husky that is rated for 16kw. I have a 9,000 5th wheel. the 2020 truck I have is rated to up to 12,400. your right anyone who would try and pull a 16kw trailer with a 1/2 ton pickup is CRAZY

wiredgeorge
01-22-2020, 02:22 PM

I think he said the hitch was a 16K Husky; doesn't mean his 5th wheel weighs 16K I hope. A 5'10" bed in a 1/2 ton? WOW!

An Andersen Ultimate might solve his problem perhaps; I will let the weight police jump on truck / camper combo after he lists this stuff in his signature or adds it to his post. I can't really visualize how he would tow a 5th wheel with a Silverado 1500 CC short bed but I haven't the savvy to enter the ranks of the weight police team so there you go! :hide:

Found this on a Chevy dealer website:
The 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 has a maximum towing capacity of 13,400 pounds, as well as a payload of up to 2,543 pounds.

Not sure how this claimed towing/payload stuff was computed; there are tons of options for the Silverado.

JRTJH
01-22-2020, 02:44 PM
Up until the 2020 GM towing guide, there was a footnote on the "short bed 1500 specs" that said something like, "GM doesn't recommend towing a fifth wheel/gooseneck with this vehicle"... They did provide ratings for the "standard bed 1500.

I'd be curious whether GM and the aftermarket will even provide a "underbed kit" for fifth wheel hitches in the 5'10" bed. They (the aftermarket hitch companies) didn't support the Ford F150 short bed (5'7") for about 3 or 4 years after that bed configuration was on the market. They did support the 6' 5" bed shortly after introduction. The aftermarket manufacturers may not see the profit sales based on the number of people looking for the kit to put enough priority on production until they have some "spare time and nothing else to produce"....

You might contact Reese or CURT and see if they have any idea on when the kits will hit the market.

sourdough
01-22-2020, 03:57 PM
I know these manufacturers keep raising these numbers like there's nothing to it but at some point reality will kick in. Physics WILL come into play at some point no matter what they put on paper.

Aside from a 1/2 ton pulling a 5th wheel which I've seen done but.... a 5'10" bed for a fifth wheel? The bed on my new truck is 6'5" and I was VERY worried about buying a 5th wheel (committed today) due to that. I was told by 2 service shop managers that it could/possibly would be an issue in certain circumstances. That's 6'5".

Sorry I don't know about what will fit the new truck but I certainly would worry about buying such a short truck to put a 5th wheel (read high/leverage) over such a light truck....and, max tow capacity is just "paper talk" so be careful.

flybouy
01-22-2020, 04:11 PM
OP's profile list's a 2013 Keystone - Cougar XLite 28SGS
Weight Dry 7,574 lbs.
Payload Capacity 2,426 lbs.
GVWR 10,000 lbs.
Hitch Weight 1,410 lbs.

While "on paper" it may be o.k. but personally you wouldn't catch me in it, or preferably driving behind or beside it.

JMHO

rhagfo
01-22-2020, 04:26 PM
OP's profile list's a 2013 Keystone - Cougar XLite 28SGS
Weight Dry 7,574 lbs.
Payload Capacity 2,426 lbs.
GVWR 10,000 lbs.
Hitch Weight 1,410 lbs.

While "on paper" it may be o.k. but personally you wouldn't catch me in it, or preferably driving behind or beside it.

JMHO

May not even work on paper GM now has a third sticker with allowable weights for different types of trailers, is a 5er even listed on the door?
The OP will really need a pin box like a Reese Revolution.

JRTJH
01-22-2020, 05:24 PM
Weightwise, my 2010 F150 "barely supported our Springdale 242. It was 26' long, weighed 6200 pounds with a GVW of 8000 pounds and a empty pin weight of 1120 pounds. With the 6'5" bed, we were "severely limited" when backing and it would have been super easy to kiss the rear window. We traded trucks for a 2013 F250 gas with a 6'9" bed and just that 5" of extra bed made a tremendous difference. I couldn't imagine losing a foot and only having a 5'10" bed without a sliding hitch or pinbox extension.

We replaced the Springdale with a 2014 Cougar XLite 27RKS. It's 500 pounds lighter with 250 pounds less empty pin weight and one less slide than the 28SGS. With our 2100 pound payload (F250 diesel) we "challenge payload" nearly every time we tow.

Then compound the issues with a semi-floating rear axle with that kind of weight pushing on the axle clips with every curve and corner?? It's bad enough with a full floating rear axle. Just the potential for an axle to "come unglued" under the rear of my truck while towing that heavy ??

For me, a half ton simply wouldn't work with our 27RKS or the 28SGS, then compound it with a 5' 10" bed??? WOW....

cougarpelt
01-23-2020, 04:28 AM
Thank you JRTJH for your information. As for the other comments, I will agree with you all that I am stupid if that is how you get your jollies in this forum. I have been pulling my 5th wheel with the 5'10" bed in a 2012 ford and then a 2015 chevy. Very very stupid OK.
My reason for posting was to see if anyone knew a supplier that has the kit I need to get back to my Weekend RV camping? I have exhausted my contacts; both my RV dealership and Chevy truck dealership have found that Reese and Curt are "planning" to provide one "soon". but no date. It looks like I will be taking a vacation from my 5th wheel camping for some unknown period of time.
Hopefully, you guys can help me spread the word that IF your looking to pull a 5th wheel with a 2020 GM 1500, then you need to look for their NEWEST length … 6'10" bed; which I find was added to the GM bed lengths in 2019 and was immediately supported by the hitch adapter manufacturers. I can only WAIT!
But in the meantime, I am completely open for all the criticism that I am due cause I have known for a long time that I am stupid; my x-wife made that perfectly clear 27 years ago.

cougarpelt
01-23-2020, 04:41 AM
Oh yes; I should add that I sprang for the Reese "Sidewinder" back when I first got this trailer. It allows the pivot point to be about 2 ' behind the kingpin thereby eliminating the problem of hitting the cab in tight turns. This config drives like a dream compared to our first pull behind which was a 2 hands on drive ALL the time.

cougarpelt
01-23-2020, 04:45 AM
My new 2020 1500 has the "MAX Trailering Package" which gives me heavier duty rear springs and a larger axel among several other upgrades like a bigger radiator, a larger alternator etc. Looking forward to using this newer towing package on my trailer when the adapter becomes available

cougarpelt
01-23-2020, 05:13 AM
as you know "Up until the 2020 GM towing guide, there was a footnote on the "short bed 1500 specs" that said something like, "GM doesn't recommend towing a fifth wheel/gooseneck with this vehicle"... They did provide ratings for the "standard bed 1500"
The reason for their caution was the problem of hitting the cab in turns. With the sidewinder by reese, I never ran anywhere close to this problem.

ctbruce
01-23-2020, 05:24 AM
Thanks for posting the heads up on lack of hitch kits. It will help someone avoid heart ache or at least be aware of the situation.

Frank G
01-23-2020, 05:42 AM
40+ years ago when there were no specific frame mount kits for attaching fifth wheel hitches and or ball mounts I fabricated them. You may have to go this route. I designed and built several disappearing ball in the bed hitches for goose neck trailers. Even turned the 2-5/16 ball as non were available with the necessary attachment configuration.

rhagfo
01-23-2020, 06:00 AM
My new 2020 1500 has the "MAX Trailering Package" which gives me heavier duty rear springs and a larger axel among several other upgrades like a bigger radiator, a larger alternator etc. Looking forward to using this newer towing package on my trailer when the adapter becomes available

Is it running P or LT tires, tires are usually the weakest point.
You must have your reasons for sticking with the 150/1500 SB trucks, the members of the forum just want to inform and have you be safe.

cougarpelt
01-23-2020, 06:02 AM
Thanks Frank, my chevy truck salesman feels terrible that he did not know how to steer me to the "long bed" 6'10") when I ordered this truck back in November. He knows a guy who can fabricate brackets and we may have to go that route. Since I normally don't camp in Jan, Feb and Mar, we have decided to wait and see if someone makes the kit available in that time frame before going the fabrication route.
It surprised me that so many people in RV and Truck sales were blindsided by this problem which leaves me with a beautiful truck and a comfortable 5th wheel that can't be connected.

cougarpelt
01-23-2020, 06:16 AM
It came with 4 ply (44PSI) tires. I ran this rated tire on the 2015 for 25,000 miles and then replaced them with 10 ply (E rated 80 psi tires). I would have moved these tires over to the new truck but since the old ones were had 55 ratio sidewall and the new tires are 60 ratio side wall, I would have had to get a new alignment. I decided to run these for a few years and then upgrade to the 10 ply tires. I have 10 ply tires on the trailer already.
I agree that the weakest part of this rig is the tires; I bought a tire monitoring system that works great and gives me information on the status of the trailer tires. I had a blow out 2 years ago on the left front and was just plain lucky that it did caused only minor damage (side panel of sheet metal). that's when I decided to install 10 ply tires and get a tire monitoring system. A blow out while pulling really makes you AWARE of tire quality, age and weight ratings. SLOWED ME DOWN too; I never run more than 60mph any more. I get there. Speed is not important when pulling a trailer!

jamtracy
01-23-2020, 06:21 AM
Thanks Frank, my chevy truck salesman feels terrible that he did not know how to steer me to the "long bed" 6'10") when I ordered this truck back in November. He knows a guy who can fabricate brackets and we may have to go that route. Since I normally don't camp in Jan, Feb and Mar, we have decided to wait and see if someone makes the kit available in that time frame before going the fabrication route.
It surprised me that so many people in RV and Truck sales were blindsided by this problem which leaves me with a beautiful truck and a comfortable 5th wheel that can't be connected.
Though I never criticize anyone about their TV. But these things about your truck salesman and rv peopole being ignorant to the fact of this situation and being "blindsided" is what I can't believe. The only time I believe a dealer is when they say I can tow something that I really can. And I've already done my homework.
Since you want/have to wait for the hitch parts you might have waited to order the truck had they told you this info up front. That's all they want is the sale first, act surprised later. Just my opinion. I hope what you need becomes available soon.

cougarpelt
01-23-2020, 06:43 AM
Thanks jamtracy, I too am very skeptical of salesman! This particular one has 27 years with the local chevy dealership and I really believe that he has never run into this. 2020 Chevy truck production was stopped due to a strike for about three months and not many had been sold when I ordered. I think the people who really should have warned me when I called them to order the adapter kit back in November (over a month before truck got here) was the RV parts man at my Rv dealership. All I knew to inform him about my truck was to say "short bed". He did not asked me for the exact bed length and I did not know that "Long bed" meant anything but the 8' bed, like the older models had. He ordered the kit made for the 6'10" and had it in his shop for a month before I showed up with the truck. When I ordered my chevy truck on Chevrolet.com in November, it gave me two option for bed …. short bed and long bed. NOW three bed length options are listed. Besides, as I have said, the previous 2 trucks I have pull my 5th wheel with had 5'10" beds. I had no reason to expect that adapter kits would not be available especially since my RV dealership "Had the kit" ready to install when I arrived. Not many people can relate to how I feel about this situation. It is a rare situation, indeed. and one which I can only hope is temporary.

flybouy
01-23-2020, 06:47 AM
For the OP, no one decided to "get their jollies" by stating what many people (including myself) feel is obvious. We see these posts over and over where someone will get caught up in the "sales pitch" and the "glitz" and end up with a marginal set up at best. Typically they are asking how to modify the truck to make the towing experience better.

I'll just point out this statement.."This config drives like a dream compared to our first pull behind which was a 2 hands on drive ALL the time." Point is we don't don't know what we don't know. You don't know what the difference would be towing with a 3/4 ton. As for the nonavailability of the hitch .. it's a good idea anytime you purchase any new or greatly altered product that you are looking to accessorize to do the due diligence before making the purchase as to the availability of the accessory. Often there is a delay in the manufacture of said accessories until the market reflects a suitable demand.

I'm not going to argue with you as it's obvious that you have made up your mind several times and that you are going to tow your trailer with a 1/2 ton truck. I wish you many happy and safe travels, and thank you for passing on the information regarding the hitch.

cougarpelt
01-23-2020, 07:21 AM
thanks flybouy, Your name implies that you have had similar life experiences … I flew A-7s, A-4s, F-18s, C-1s and C12s for the Navy for 22 years beginning in Viet Nam in 1971 with 33 missions in that war that our government lost. Then I flew for PanAm for 3 years until they folded. then air ambulances in Lear jets for 2 years before I decided that I had pressed my luck far enough and quit flying for good. My youngest son is following my career path … 20 years flyinig F-18s for the Marines (to spite me) and now is flying 737s for Delta. I fly vicariously through him as he relates his experiences in the cockpit. Watch "angle of attack" on Amazon prime to see a great documentary on Naval Aviation! A statement I heard for the first time in that film is: "The last Naval Aviator has probably already been born!" Aircraft are being flown by "GAMERS" as more and more aircraft are remotely controlled. I wonder if we will live long enough to see airliners remotely flown by gamers??!!

travelin texans
01-23-2020, 08:12 AM
Have you contacted B&W hitches? I had their Companion hitch & it was great as was their customer service! Not sure if they have anything for your situation yet, but all it cost is phone call.

cougarpelt
01-23-2020, 09:39 AM
Thank you travelin Texans, When I called up B&W website it showed me that Camping World uses their products. they have a kit but the rails and adapter come as a set for the 2019. I confirmed through my chevy dealership that the 2019 and the 2020 frames are the same with the same predrilled holes for these adapters. Camping world still wants to get the part and hold it up to the frame to make sure that the kingpin will be over the axel BEFORE they drill any holes. SMART MEN! THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, THANKS TO YOU. I appreciate men who share helpful info like you did; this forum could use more of you as you are an asset to the camping community!.
smooth seas and following winds to you and yours

cougarpelt
01-23-2020, 10:47 AM
really I take what ever is thrown at me … I am old enough now that I realize that no matter who you are, what you are, where you came from, who you know, …. when you open your mouth, there will ALWAYS be people who will have to says things that help them remain confident that they know more than you; that they are so much smarter than anyone (which is to say that you are dumber than them). In short, that side with and agree 110% with my x-wife when she walked out 27 year ago.
We ARE different from each other ( if everyone was the same what a boring world that would be). I accept that, and try to let people be the way they want to be without trying to even think that they should be the same as me. The only advice I give is to my sons WHEN THEY ASK (and the never ask anymore). Most people learn get along with each other despite their differences. I can only control my response as I thank them for sharing their differences. I'm not in competition with anyone any more; war (the ultimate competition) took that out of me for the most part. Its OK for everyone to act smarter than me; doesn't hurt me unless I let it; and I let it less and less with every year I live.

sourdough
01-23-2020, 01:34 PM
Thank you JRTJH for your information. As for the other comments, I will agree with you all that I am stupid if that is how you get your jollies in this forum. I have been pulling my 5th wheel with the 5'10" bed in a 2012 ford and then a 2015 chevy. Very very stupid OK.
My reason for posting was to see if anyone knew a supplier that has the kit I need to get back to my Weekend RV camping? I have exhausted my contacts; both my RV dealership and Chevy truck dealership have found that Reese and Curt are "planning" to provide one "soon". but no date. It looks like I will be taking a vacation from my 5th wheel camping for some unknown period of time.
Hopefully, you guys can help me spread the word that IF your looking to pull a 5th wheel with a 2020 GM 1500, then you need to look for their NEWEST length … 6'10" bed; which I find was added to the GM bed lengths in 2019 and was immediately supported by the hitch adapter manufacturers. I can only WAIT!
But in the meantime, I am completely open for all the criticism that I am due cause I have known for a long time that I am stupid; my x-wife made that perfectly clear 27 years ago.

cougarpelt, I don't think anyone thinks you're stupid or gets their jollies by voicing their concerns. Many, many on this forum have gone through the painful route of having more trailer than the truck can handle and paid that price. You seem happy with your 1/2 ton and 5th wheel. Without knowing weights who knows if you're safe or not....only you. I do know, no matter what, you should look at the max load those tires are rated for (about 2700 I'm thinking) and honestly assess if you need a heavier tire; whether you've done it in the past or not. A blowout on a 1/2 ton TV pulling a 10k trailer at highway speed will make a blowout on the RV seem meaningless. Not preaching, not thinking you're stupid or getting jollies.....just concerned and making suggestions you can either use as food for thought or not.
As far as a hitch sounds like you may have come across something. I will say I have been in the same predicament of buying a new vehicle in the first year (SUV) then finding it very difficult to get accessories for it. It's unfortunate your dealership wasn't aware.

Firewall
01-23-2020, 04:09 PM
thanks flybouy, Your name implies that you have had similar life experiences … I flew A-7s, A-4s, F-18s, C-1s and C12s for the Navy for 22 years beginning in Viet Nam in 1971 with 33 missions in that war that our government lost. Then I flew for PanAm for 3 years until they folded. then air ambulances in Lear jets for 2 years before I decided that I had pressed my luck far enough and quit flying for good. My youngest son is following my career path … 20 years flyinig F-18s for the Marines (to spite me) and now is flying 737s for Delta. I fly vicariously through him as he relates his experiences in the cockpit. Watch "angle of attack" on Amazon prime to see a great documentary on Naval Aviation! A statement I heard for the first time in that film is: "The last Naval Aviator has probably already been born!" Aircraft are being flown by "GAMERS" as more and more aircraft are remotely controlled. I wonder if we will live long enough to see airliners remotely flown by gamers??!!

That's awesome, thank you for your service! And tell your son I want a ride!

CedarCreekWoody
01-23-2020, 06:22 PM
Thank you travelin Texans, When I called up B&W website it showed me that Camping World uses their products. they have a kit but the rails and adapter come as a set for the 2019. I confirmed through my chevy dealership that the 2019 and the 2020 frames are the same with the same predrilled holes for these adapters. Camping world still wants to get the part and hold it up to the frame to make sure that the kingpin will be over the axel BEFORE they drill any holes. SMART MEN! THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, THANKS TO YOU. I appreciate men who share helpful info like you did; this forum could use more of you as you are an asset to the camping community!.
smooth seas and following winds to you and yours

I just had a B&W turnover ball installed on my 2019 Ram. The 2019 requires a different adapter than previous years but fortunately there had been enough time for it to be developed. Hopefully the earlier model adapter will work for you when they do the compare. The hole locations are critical!

Old Mustanger
01-23-2020, 08:29 PM
I was on the PullRite sight today and on their home page they had an add stating that they have kits available for the 2020 GM trucks. Don't know if they would fit your bed but may be worth looking into.

Rosendale
01-30-2020, 08:44 AM
Up until the 2020 GM towing guide, there was a footnote on the "short bed 1500 specs" that said something like, "GM doesn't recommend towing a fifth wheel/gooseneck with this vehicle"... They did provide ratings for the "standard bed 1500.

I'd be curious whether GM and the aftermarket will even provide a "underbed kit" for fifth wheel hitches in the 5'10" bed. They (the aftermarket hitch companies) didn't support the Ford F150 short bed (5'7") for about 3 or 4 years after that bed configuration was on the market. They did support the 6' 5" bed shortly after introduction.

Exactly, they likely don't recommend towing a fifth wheel/gooseneck and have made it impossible to hook up, JMHO

penra
01-30-2020, 08:51 AM
Someone on the MOC FB posted a similar complaint about a 2020 GMC. I think they got a hitch from B&W that fit but they were hair on fire until they found it. Unreal that the makers just change up without regard for hitches!

Logan X
01-30-2020, 11:29 AM
Maybe GM thinks it’s a bad idea to tow a fifth wheel with a half ton shortbed and that’s why they designed the truck so a fifth wheel hitch wouldn’t work with it.

JRTJH
01-30-2020, 11:37 AM
Maybe GM thinks it’s a bad idea to tow a fifth wheel with a half ton shortbed and that’s why they designed the truck so a fifth wheel hitch wouldn’t work with it.

In years past, they simply did not "certify" the truck with towing numbers for fifth wheel towing in their charts. In a footnote, they stated something along the line of, "GM doesn't recommend fifth wheel towing with this vehicle". The aftermarket companies continued to provide kits to install a fifth wheel hitch for someone who wished to tow "even though it wasn't in the charts"....

It seems that with the change in frame configuration, the older aftermarket components won't fit and the aftermarket guys haven't yet caught up with "parts to do it anyway"...

As for GM, I'd guess (guess in emphasis) that the reason GM didn't coordinate fifth wheel towing components with aftermarket suppliers is because they "don't get into coordinating what they don't approve".... That goes along with the charts that still don't list fifth wheel capacities on trucks they don't approve or recommend for fifth wheel towing. People will still do it, but GM hasn't coordinated products to "make it easy to do".... Probably by intentional decisions, not by accidental overlook of a need.

LV_Tom
01-30-2020, 11:43 AM
CougarPelt... Make sure that the swing radius of the 5th wheel front won't hit the rear truck window and break it. There's been many 5th wheel overhangs that have broken that window. Two in our RV Club alone

Pete54401
01-30-2020, 02:31 PM
I'm not going to call you stupid. GM is not at fault and I'm a Ford guy. My issue is with trailer manufacturers who label products "1/2-ton towable" and trailer and truck salespeople who will say, "no problem". Personally, I would never tow a 5th wheel with any half ton though there are some with "HD Payload Packages" which may be OK. At issue is a math problem... Your 9,000 lb GVWR should, if properly loaded, will yield a payload in the truck of about 2,200 lbs. Some of the previous replies list your trucks payload capacity but the reality is you can these days find it listed on the GVW informational decal in your front door jamb. I'm my mind you are too close to the limit unless your are doing very short hauls on a very infrequent basis. The next question then is GCWR. The total of your loaded truck and loaded trailer (best to put the whole thing on a scale so you know exactly) should not exceed this number which GM will have published for your Cab style and drivetrain combo and my guess is at 9,000 lbs you should have room to spare in that category. Finally, and I think it was mentioned earlier is tires. No to the 4 ply that likely came on the truck as you need a heavier tire. Good luck with all and hopefully a hitch will soon be available.

goducks
01-31-2020, 04:08 PM
5th wheel hitch MFG's aren't going to make a hitch that goes against the truck MFG recommendations.
Not sure about the legality's but I'm guessing there may be some. Also it could easily be a marketing thing. Since GM says NO to 5ers with the short bed then the 5th hitch MFG probably figures most all 1500 SB owners would see that and not buy the truck with a 5th wheel in mind.
Hard to go into production and just make a very small amount of something and be profitable.

cougarpelt
01-31-2020, 05:06 PM
Thanks to suggestion by Travelin Texans, I was able to find that Camping World/Gander world of Dothan, AL has a distributor who offered B&W hitch adapter kits; they ordered and today they installed the kit in my 2020 1500 Silverado 5'10" (short bed) truck. (I have a "Sidewinder" installed on my trailer so I don't have issues with trailer hitting cab in tight turns; its and expensive way to go but back in 2012 when I got my first 5th wheel in a short bed Ford 150, it was the only one offered to me by RV Connections of Panama City, FL.)
The installation for the 2019 B&W kit was listed for 4 hours labor which they drew up a contract for me to sign prior to starting; HOWEVER, the 2020, even though the kit fits, required extra work cause the 2020 gas tank in in the way to thread the nuts on the driver's side adapter, SO they had to lower the tank, thread the nuts on and then raise the tank back up. LOTS of extra time (6.5 hours today) because there was a lot of head scratching before deciding that the tank had to be removed; Also, the B&W kit has center bolts that just fasten to the bed to prevent vibration noise; these nuts are VERY hard to thread because both of them come down in an area covered by heat shields; some companies simply cut off the heat shields but the general manager of this company would not let them destroy or cut off any part of this truck; instead required them to take the time to thread the nuts using long needle nose pliers which is a hit and miss job that takes lots of tries before getting it just right.
BUT the B&W KIT does fit and I am back in the 5th wheel hauling business!
I think that goose neck adapter kits may be replacing the king pin systems; you can get the ball installed at the factory now for the 2500 and the 3500 but NOT yet for the 1500; probably because of the weight of MOST 5th wheels these days and the NEED to have a slider or a sidewinder system which are MORE expensive and weigh more in the tongue area of the trailer; something I special purchase 10 ply tires to compensate for; tongue weights of 1400+lbs on 4 ply tires always worried me.
As has been driven home by some contributors, using a 1/2 ton pickup to pull a 5th wheel is not acceptable to lots of people but it works for me in the flat lands of Alabama .

pdaniel
02-01-2020, 11:00 AM

I watch the advertisements for Ford and Chevy/GMC in which they would have us believe a 1/2 ton pickup is capable of towing a 5th wheel.
The factory specifications may support this but in reality should someone?

pdaniel
02-01-2020, 11:02 AM
You may be on to something there...

ctbruce
02-01-2020, 11:47 AM
Thanks to suggestion by Travelin Texans, I was able to find that Camping World/Gander world of Dothan, AL has a distributor who offered B&W hitch adapter kits; they ordered and today they installed the kit in my 2020 1500 Silverado 5'10" (short bed) truck. (I have a "Sidewinder" installed on my trailer so I don't have issues with trailer hitting cab in tight turns; its and expensive way to go but back in 2012 when I got my first 5th wheel in a short bed Ford 150, it was the only one offered to me by RV Connections of Panama City, FL.)
The installation for the 2019 B&W kit was listed for 4 hours labor which they drew up a contract for me to sign prior to starting; HOWEVER, the 2020, even though the kit fits, required extra work cause the 2020 gas tank in in the way to thread the nuts on the driver's side adapter, SO they had to lower the tank, thread the nuts on and then raise the tank back up. LOTS of extra time (6.5 hours today) because there was a lot of head scratching before deciding that the tank had to be removed; Also, the B&W kit has center bolts that just fasten to the bed to prevent vibration noise; these nuts are VERY hard to thread because both of them come down in an area covered by heat shields; some companies simply cut off the heat shields but the general manager of this company would not let them destroy or cut off any part of this truck; instead required them to take the time to thread the nuts using long needle nose pliers which is a hit and miss job that takes lots of tries before getting it just right.
BUT the B&W KIT does fit and I am back in the 5th wheel hauling business!
I think that goose neck adapter kits may be replacing the king pin systems; you can get the ball installed at the factory now for the 2500 and the 3500 but NOT yet for the 1500; probably because of the weight of MOST 5th wheels these days and the NEED to have a slider or a sidewinder system which are MORE expensive and weigh more in the tongue area of the trailer; something I special purchase 10 ply tires to compensate for; tongue weights of 1400+lbs on 4 ply tires always worried me.
As has been driven home by some contributors, using a 1/2 ton pickup to pull a 5th wheel is not acceptable to lots of people but it works for me in the flat lands of Alabama .And this^^^^^ right here should serve, at least for now, as a warning as to why a 5th wheel adapter is not available. Drop the gas tank-Nope? Cut the heat shield-Nope? 8+ hours of shop time to install the adapter-Nope? Nope, Nope, and more Nope.

notanlines
02-01-2020, 12:24 PM
Chester, look into an extended pin box for your 5th wheel. They are relatively common in RV parks. I'm not saying I recommend your current rig as an acceptable combination, but PPL in Houston and Etrailer.com can both put you in a new pin box (12" longer or so)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLKUWi6KsF4

cougarpelt
02-02-2020, 08:40 AM
Lucky for me, they stood by their 4 hour estimate; the general manager chalked up the added time as "experience with a NEW MODEL TRUCK". I rather doubt that a 4 hour estimate will be used on the next 2020 chevy 1500 adapter kit installation contract. SOOO my Husky 16K 5th wheel hitch along with my Reese Sidewinder trailer tongue will serve my needs for the next while. See you at White Oak Creek COE campground! HAPPY CAMPING to ALL!

cougarpelt
02-03-2020, 04:51 PM
After all that! I was under the truck, installing a CURT Plug and play 7-Way plug in the bed, when I happened to look up and see the left rear attaching hardware that Gander RV/Camping World of Dothan had installed the previous Friday. NO FLAT WASHER BETWEEN THE ADAPTER PLATES AND THE LOCK WASHER!!!!. The holes in the plate were big enough that the lock washers were inside the hole on one side, rendering the "Locking" feature of a lock washer useless. I took pictures; Called B&W, the kit manufacturer and asked if what I saw was within their specs for installation of their hitch adapters?? They came back right away and said NO!!; DO NOT HOOK UP TO YOUR 5TH WHEEL UNTIL THE FLAT WASHERS WHICH WERE INCLUDED WITH KIT WERE INSTALLED. Sent pictures and B&W statement to the General Manager of Gander RV; he got back to me this afternoon and invited me back so his staff could correct the installation!
I had NO reason to suspect that the installation was incomplete! As delivered to me, during hard braking or hard acceleration the lock washers and nuts could have pulled through the adapter plate holes causing untold damage or injury!!
We have entered into an era where we MUST check behind major RV techs! Men who, as the service manager described to me as "they put these things on everyday, they could put them on in their sleep". How many accidents are the result of a lack of professionalism and attention to detail on repairs/installations to our RVs??
I consider myself blessed to have been under the truck when I was and knew enough to see when something did not look right!

LHaven
02-03-2020, 07:22 PM
Next time, ask him to assign the guys who don't put them on in their sleep. :angel:

chuckster57
02-03-2020, 07:50 PM
I wonder if the techs were under pressure to “get it done” since any time over the quote is on the dealership. Seen it before, not defending anybody just throwing another possibility out there.

Glad you caught it, and yeah any MAJOR work should be checked by the customer.

cougarpelt
02-04-2020, 05:01 AM
Next time, ask him to assign the guys who don't put them on in their sleep. :angel:

:lol::lol::lol: Good one LHAVEN!

Roscommon48
02-04-2020, 05:58 AM
I suspect you will have a major issue. To bad you didn't refuse the truck. But, good luck.

flybouy
02-04-2020, 06:45 AM
"I had NO reason to suspect that the installation was incomplete!".
"We have entered into an era where we MUST check behind major RV techs!"

With these 2 statements (and the punctuation) I think you are new to the RV world and perhaps a bit inexperienced in mechanical modifications/repairs. I know less than a handful of techs/mechanics that I trust and even those I'll check behind with "less scrutiny". They are all human and thus anyone can "have a bad day". When someone makes a mistake we don't know if that person was up all night with a sick child, having marital issues on their mind, or some other major live stress. A good shop would have a lead tech or service manager check that work before sending it out the door.

For work on my trucks I'm fortunate that I had (he closed up shop last year) a privately owned shop (father & son)that I dealt with for 30+ years. They never deceived me and always treated me fair and not as a fare. Just me personally but I would never go to a CW to get a hitch installed. I'd seek an independent shop that's been in business for some years that has a strong reputation for their workmanship and ethics.

JMHO

Northofu1
02-04-2020, 06:51 AM
^^^ They might not have put a 5th wheel hitch in a half ton.
I know I wouldn't.

JRTJH
02-04-2020, 07:04 AM
I'm with Marshall on checking behind anyone working on my vehicles.

I use the Ford "quick lube" for regular oil changes. I ALWAYS open the hood, check for oil level, that a "NEW" filter has been installed, that the oil fill cap is present and I bend over to make sure there's no "puddle of oil" under the truck. Then I get in the truck and check for "soiled carpet/seats/steering wheel followed by verifying that the "oil life reminder" has been reset.

I can't count on my fingers and toes the number of times I've had to go back inside to get someone to "finish the job"....

If it's that frequent in something as simple as an oil change, imagine how much can go wrong with a "first one we ever did" installation..... :hide:

66joej
02-04-2020, 07:19 AM
^ Lots of good suggestions. I also use a marker to make a dot on my filter and L/F wheel when a rotation is done with the service (have caught both of these items not done). Filter wiped off and not changed. Dot was still there. Service Manager said sorry and they were really busy and doing a few at a time? Needless to say last time at that business.

cougarpelt
02-05-2020, 03:59 AM
I had to have them DO IT OVER A THIRD TIME before the B&W parts were finally used that came with the adapter kit. Luckily B&W sent me the installation instructions so I could tell when the parts that came with kit and were suppose to be used showed up.
tech just plain refused to follow the manufacturer's instructions without his general manager's involvement. NEVER AGAIN.
FLY-Bouy is exactly right … don't trust a tech with your equipment. This one had drifted into such a complacent state, that "attention to detail" was the LAST thing anyone can expect from him.