PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to run wires from outside to inside?

AryaRV
01-15-2020, 09:57 AM
Hi all,
I’m new to RVing and to the forum.
We are full timing in a 2019 Keystone Residence (40RDEN).
I’m trying figure out the best way to run my satellite internet cable up through the RV instead of through the window in the rear den area. I don’t want to drill any holes as I’m sure there is some less complicated way to do this. Through the slide outs maybe?
We have that sort of plastic floor covering underneath the whole RV (I know there’s a name for it but can’t remember at this moment). I haven’t gotten down there just yet to see where to start. I was hoping to get some advice on narrowing down the best entry point.
Any advice or tips/tricks to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.
Also, if there is already a thread on this point me that way!!
Thanks!!

Snoking
01-15-2020, 10:52 AM
Hi all,
I’m trying figure out the best way to run my satellite internet cable up through the RV instead of through the window in the rear den area. I don’t want to drill any holes as I’m sure there is some less complicated way to do this. Through the slide outs maybe?
We have that sort of plastic floor covering underneath the whole RV (I know there’s a name for it but can’t remember at this moment). I haven’t gotten down there just yet to see where to start. I was hoping to get some advice on narrowing down the best entry point.
Thanks!!

You are saying that it was not pre-wired for Sat.

From the web site:
15,000 BTU ducted A/C
Cable TV hook-up
Hot water bypass
Dual 30 lb. L.P. bottles with auto change over and cover
TV antenna with booster
Satellite TV prep

wiredgeorge
01-15-2020, 10:59 AM
I have a 2002 Cougar. No satellite input. I bought a pass through connector and installed in through the wall outside my entertainment center. Waterproof and easy to install.

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Products-08-6215-White-Weatherproof/dp/B002UC4XD6

Pulling anything from underneath will be quite a bit more difficult I think. I used butyl sealing tape underneath on the outside.

flybouy
01-15-2020, 11:26 AM
I have a 2002 Cougar. No satellite input. I bought a pass through connector and installed in through the wall outside my entertainment center. Waterproof and easy to install.

Pulling anything from underneath will be quite a bit more difficult I think. I used butyl sealing tape underneath on the outside.

The OP's unit is 17 yrs newer. According to Keystone's site the camper he has is "satellite ready" which I'm guessing means there is a coax connector on the outside for a satellite connection., But the again, the Keystone site says lots of things.... :whistling:

+Ruff Rider
01-15-2020, 11:58 AM
He may have one but it isn't marked. Mine 5th wheel has 2 one under a cover and another up by the water connections.

AryaRV
01-15-2020, 12:49 PM
Hi
There is a coaxial connection on the outside but I need it for satellite internet.
Can I still use this connection?
Thanks!
PS
I’m a chick
:)

Frank G
01-15-2020, 12:59 PM
A direct connection is best, we run ours through the lower corner of a slide. Gave up on the prewired cabling system. Careful, as it provides a direct path for the ant's!

AryaRV
01-15-2020, 01:07 PM
I understand. That's a concern for me as well for going through the slides.

JRTJH
01-15-2020, 02:31 PM
The 40RDEN has the entertainment center on the rear wall. That entertainment center spans the entire back wall, from floor to about 3' up. The TV is mounted above that center and is connected with a "shrouded cable set" that goes up from behind the fireplace.

It would be a simple matter to install a cable entry (shown below) on the rear wall so it enters behind the power center. Then route that cable to the space behind the fireplace and up to the TV.

You can find information about the cable entry here: https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Products-08-6208-White-Receptacle/dp/B004LF70DK/ref=asc_df_B004LF70DK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198061104887&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12847388270961837731&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017639&hvtargid=pla-384355917521&psc=1

However, before adding a "satellite specific entry point" I'd test the existing entry point. The brochures all indicate that the Residence line comes "standard" with a roof mounted TV antenna and booster, a cable entry and a satellite entry as OEM equipment. This may be a simple matter of connecting the satellite feed to the existing outside wall connector, changing a switch setting on the antenna booster and having satellite or cable feed to the TV.

Here is a photo of what the satellite/cable entry device looks like:

AryaRV
01-15-2020, 02:57 PM
JRTJH,
Yes, I do have one of those, just wasn't sure if it was only for TV or if I could use it for Internet too.
I guess satellite is satellite. :o

JRTJH
01-15-2020, 03:14 PM
JRTJH,
Yes, I do have one of those, just wasn't sure if it was only for TV or if I could use it for Internet too.
I guess satellite is satellite. :o

Cable input is satellite input. The only difference is the type of co-ax cable used. One type of co-ax only works for cable while the other type of cable works for cable and satellite. Keystone installs the "dual purpose co-ax cable type.

The "key" is in switch position on the antenna booster. If you have a Winegard antenna system with the booster power supply mounted behind the TV, the switch "booster ON position" disconnects the cable/satellite input and connects the roof TV antenna input. The "booster OFF position" connects the cable/satellite input and disconnects the roof TV antenna input... So, depending on the booster switch position, you either watch "antenna TV" or "cable/satellite TV" you can't watch both with the switch in either position.... The newer "In-Command system" has an automatic switch function, but older systems require "user input to flip the switch"....

Try connecting your satellite system to the connector on your exterior wall and see if it works. My guess is it won't, until you turn off the TV booster.....

Snoking
01-15-2020, 03:21 PM
The 40RDEN has the entertainment center on the rear wall. That entertainment center spans the entire back wall, from floor to about 3' up. The TV is mounted above that center and is connected with a "shrouded cable set" that goes up from behind the fireplace.

It would be a simple matter to install a cable entry (shown below) on the rear wall so it enters behind the power center. Then route that cable to the space behind the fireplace and up to the TV.

You can find information about the cable entry here: https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Products-08-6208-White-Receptacle/dp/B004LF70DK/ref=asc_df_B004LF70DK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198061104887&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12847388270961837731&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017639&hvtargid=pla-384355917521&psc=1

However, before adding a "satellite specific entry point" I'd test the existing entry point. The brochures all indicate that the Residence line comes "standard" with a roof mounted TV antenna and booster, a cable entry and a satellite entry as OEM equipment. This may be a simple matter of connecting the satellite feed to the existing outside wall connector, changing a switch setting on the antenna booster and having satellite or cable feed to the TV.

Here is a photo of what the satellite/cable entry device looks like:

Most roof preps for satellite installation go down to the docking area area where you jumper them back to LR or BR TV's. So if you have two coaxes behind the TV, one is for Roof OTA Antenna and cable and the other is for sats.

Just have to watch that they did not hide a splitter in the wall somewhere, as they do not seem to understand that sats do not like splitters in the lead unless it is one from the sat company. Directv not uses the SWM system which has special splitters. Chris

CedarCreekWoody
01-15-2020, 05:04 PM
Do you have two coax connectors on the outside of your camper? If so one is for cable and the other satellite. The cable connector goes to a splitter and through the booster. The other is a direct cable to a coax fitting behind the main tv. Use this one and connect it to your satellite box.

sonofcy
01-16-2020, 06:44 PM
Hi all,
Thanks!!

If you are sure it isn't pre-wired then the usual safe way is down the refrigerator stack. If you have a residential fridge you won't have that option so some folks use a sewer stack if you have the stomach for that, otherwise get a solar gland and locate a safe place to use it. Another possibility is the AC duct work.

Hblick48
01-16-2020, 09:21 PM

I installed two of these. One for satellite tv and smother for cable internet. They go through the side of rv into the entertainment center. Use silicone to make waterproof.

Camp CA
03-09-2020, 12:57 PM
..............I’m trying figure out the best way to run my satellite internet cable up through the RV instead of through the window in the rear den area. I don’t want to drill any holes as I’m sure there is some less complicated way to do this. Through the slide outs maybe.............

When we picked up our 2020 Montana 3780RL in January the dealer's service tech told me that the trailer's are not set up to cable a portable satellite antenna through the rig's cable connections. For years I ran a cable directly between the portable satellite antenna and tv through a window in the den as I did not want to drill a hole in the slide out (as a friend did). On my new trailer I the dealer installed a Wingard Traveler Direct tv SWM Slimline Automatic Multi-satellite tv antenna and no longer need to run a cable through the window. I also installed a Winegard wifi extender.