PDA

View Full Version : testing used a/c

wiredgeorge
01-14-2020, 08:55 PM
Picked up a used a/c. It is an older Dometic Brisk and a bit larger than the current models. It came off an Airstream that folks were rehabbing and they put a low profile unit on and told me the old one worked fine. Paid a nominal amount but would like to test it prior to hauling to the roof of my RV. Have the bottom (non ducted) control panel for the inside which came with the unit. These things have a couple wires for pos/neg and probably a ground (don't recall). Can I test the unit by just rigging an extension cord to it and tying the wires to test the thing?

chuckster57
01-15-2020, 04:43 AM
I would think as long as you have the plenum controls then all it needs is 110VAC. Since the AC unit will have 3 wires with exposed ends you just need to figure out a SAFE way to hook them up to that extension cord.

JRTJH
01-15-2020, 07:35 AM
I cut the power cord off an old drill that burned up. I use three twist on connectors to attach it to the power leads on electrical equipment on the bench and plug it into an extension cord, then plug that into an outlet.

That 14 ga power cord will provide up to about 20 amps without any issues and the "item being tested" is properly wired without any open, ready to fail or short wires exposed.

On older A/C's with the controls on the overhead panel, there's no 12VDC needed, just the 3 wire 120 VAC circuit.

wiredgeorge
01-15-2020, 09:12 AM
Thanks. What I had planned to do. Understand the electrical connection and hope it works for $20. If not, I will save my pennies for a new unit.