PDA

View Full Version : New Cougar 315RLS questions

sourdough
01-10-2020, 08:15 PM
Well, here I am....20 questions.

I have posted numerous times about looking for a new 1 ton and new 5th wheel. I've narrowed that down to a Cougar 315rls and a GD 337 rls?

I am leaning, and pretty much inclined, to go with the 315rls. Like the Cougar vs the Reflection. Price is almost identical. Cougar seems, to me, a little nicer inside; Reflection is a GD...but don't know what that means anymore?

My question would be to anyone on the forum that might own the 315rls. Problems, situational things that didn't work, lack pass thru space, AC ducting, etc. The GD has a super nice stove top that I love...the Cougar does not. The Reflection still retains "switches" vs In Command,which I've never had but hate before I do.

Thoughts/insights would be greatly appreciated. Talked to the GM of my CW back in TX and he will make me a heck of a deal on a 315rls. Will take me a 6 day round trip to get it and return plus transferring....but I want to know if the trailer is worth it. Your thoughts are really appreciated.

hondapro87
01-11-2020, 05:43 AM
My wife and I are also comparing the same two models. Both of us thought the Reflection was nicer inside and seemed to be put together better. and I was glad it still had the switches, I just don't trust the in command system.
We have not made a decision on witch way to go yet,if we had to decide today it would be for the Reflection, but we are still in research mode.
Sorry I did't help you with your decision but I will be interested in what you decide.

Shasta Bob
01-11-2020, 06:15 AM
I've had mine for almost a year now, besides the small cosmetic items the only real issue was the Furrion bat wing blew off the roof and was hanging from the cable and replaced under warranty. but haven had it out since. I love the in command its nice to turn on the hear before getting out of bed. if it would only turn on the coffee!

sourdough
01-11-2020, 04:52 PM
Well here's a little twist that goes back to all the things we say about keeping your dealer close.

Got a good number on the GD 337 and was kind of leaning that way....that was in GA. Warranty work, general mtce. etc. came to mind. Looked at the website for the dealer nearest us back in TX that sold them and he had a 337 in stock. Called him (owner) and explained the situation and told him the number I had been given but would drive back to TX for one if we could get close; he was quiet, then said "no way"! I said oh yes. He told me there was no way that any dealer in TX could get close then asked for the dealer. I told him plus the website; he pulled it up and looked at the deal....and my price was lower than the one on the site. He said the one on the site was unbeatable and the one I had been given was unbelievable - to not walk, but run and get it before it was gone. Now the hiccup....

I told him about the issues of buying an RV elsewhere and then getting them worked on at another dealer....how would they feel about that if I brought it in to them....long pause.....well.....we pride ourselves on taking care of OUR customers. We won't refuse to work on it but it will be put behind everything that comes in from our customers. We have 10 techs and at times those "other" trailers have sat 5-6 months...…

All that to point out that the things we say on the forum about saving money vs the hassle of trying to get a unit worked on "back home" is real....and they actually do that to people....and I understand completely and told him so. The difference was around 5k. I am now working on a 315rls Cougar again even though I don't like the slides or In Command. They will take me in same day if I need it....that means something to me. Just to make anyone that thought it really wasn't that way aware that it is.

hondapro87
01-12-2020, 04:45 AM
Well here's a little twist that goes back to all the things we say about keeping your dealer close.

Got a good number on the GD 337 and was kind of leaning that way....that was in GA. Warranty work, general mtce. etc. came to mind. Looked at the website for the dealer nearest us back in TX that sold them and he had a 337 in stock. Called him (owner) and explained the situation and told him the number I had been given but would drive back to TX for one if we could get close; he was quiet, then said "no way"! I said oh yes. He told me there was no way that any dealer in TX could get close then asked for the dealer. I told him plus the website; he pulled it up and looked at the deal....and my price was lower than the one on the site. He said the one on the site was unbeatable and the one I had been given was unbelievable - to not walk, but run and get it before it was gone. Now the hiccup....

I told him about the issues of buying an RV elsewhere and then getting them worked on at another dealer....how would they feel about that if I brought it in to them....long pause.....well.....we pride ourselves on taking care of OUR customers. We won't refuse to work on it but it will be put behind everything that comes in from our customers. We have 10 techs and at times those "other" trailers have sat 5-6 months...…

All that to point out that the things we say on the forum about saving money vs the hassle of trying to get a unit worked on "back home" is real....and they actually do that to people....and I understand completely and told him so. The difference was around 5k. I am now working on a 315rls Cougar again even though I don't like the slides or In Command. They will take me in same day if I need it....that means something to me. Just to make anyone that thought it really wasn't that way aware that it is.

I completely understand. We bought our current trailer from our local Keystone dealer that is about 50 miles from our home, our local Grand Design dealer is about 30 miles away.

Whatever unit we end up deciding on will come from either one of those dealers. I am sure I could get better pricing at larger dealers, but like you if I need service I don't want the thing to sit there forever just because I did not buy it there.

Fishsizzle
01-12-2020, 06:20 AM
It’s very real. We bought our Alpine from camping world, year old model that didn’t sell, so it was a smoking deal.

CW was 150 miles away, brought the Alpine home and when it came time for warranty, local dealer laughed at me. Thankfully that same dealer has another lot close by and they got us right in as they don’t have the same sales volume being a smaller town.

sourdough
01-19-2020, 06:25 PM
Left a dealership in Lake City FL today. We've narrowed our search down to either a 315RLS or the 330RL? High Country. This isn't a done deal but some notes on this journey;

I am concentrating on the Keystone line because; my CW back home carries them not GD. My conversation with CW corporate (Marcus office) told me a purchase in FL carries the same weight with a CW dealership in TX for maintenance/warranty....if it was otherwise they were in conflict with corporate direction for owners.

FL has better prices than TX as best I can tell. So, we may be moving on this in the next few days if I can figure out how to get all our "crap" from here to there.

Question(s): for those that own either the new Cougars or High countrys and have had an opportunity to compare; obviously you chose whatever you have due to your preferences, but, what drove those choices to you? I like the Cougar better, I think, but the 330 HC feels better to DW which means a lot; especially the larger bathroom. Last year (maybe 2) when I walked thru them all the HC seemed "cheaper" than the Cougar. Today they pretty much seemed the same. HC is bigger, heavier and has a bigger pass thru and LRF tires. In reality I'm not sure if there is any reason to go with the HC other than DW likes the room....and I'm happy with what makes her happy, but, I'm the guy that has to make it all "work". So I reach out to anyone that has any input on this. We LOVE this trailer, but the TT design leaves us feeling "cramped" with the low roof over time. The woodwork and amenities are better than either the Cougar or HC but we're trying to position ourselves for the "end game". We don't see another RV in our future, will sell the last of our vacation homes this summer, just divested ourselves of about 4-5 months of luxury timeshare to....end up with the primary home and the RV. Bought the new truck so limited by gvw of the trailer and our desire to keep the size of the trailer manageable and stay within the brands that our CW dealership sold (keystone primarily). That's the story as it unfolds.

Thoughts on High Country vs Cougar from personal experience. Probably get close to pulling "a" trigger tomorrow or the next day...gonna get cold here.:D

chuckster57
01-19-2020, 06:38 PM
Happy wife, happy life....good luck in your decision, glad we aren’t looking for a new trailer. Have you and the boss been able to actually sit inside and pretend in both?

sourdough
01-19-2020, 06:56 PM
Sat in both today. Sort of hard to spend time and pretend because the rain would not stop so we were inside, outside, crouching under the front trying to read weight placards etc. I've told them the numbers I want to reach and they will let me know tomorrow when the GM comes in. Unless they are different from the other FL dealers I've spoken to it should be a workable deal although I am pretty aggressive. We'll see if we have common ground tomorrow but - who knows in these things. Funny thing is that for all these years DW said she had zero use for a w/d and then today, in the middle of talking to the sales guy, she says she wants a w/d. I was incredulous and just blew her off because I thought she was pulling my chain....not good. Seems she's been having some issues with the laundry having machines being down and frustration etc. - bad call on my part, so, I told her to tell me what she wants and to prepare for a new one ton diesel after the one I just bought....well, that conversation is sort of "in flux". :lol::lol:

chuckster57
01-19-2020, 07:21 PM
Gotta love the wrenches they can toss!! BTDT, I had to very “diplomatic” with my answer. Did I win? Not sayin, just sayin I didn’t lose.

sourdough
01-19-2020, 07:47 PM
Gotta love the wrenches they can toss!! BTDT, I had to very “diplomatic” with my answer. Did I win? Not sayin, just sayin I didn’t lose.

Yep. Not sure I got a win on any of this. Wrenches? DW just usually "helps me along", the W/D thing? And, you were very diplomatic.:D

GeekSquadOfUn
01-20-2020, 01:39 PM
I purchased a 2019 Cougar 315RLS and my best friend a Montana HC 330RL. We are both super happy.

The dual sink bathroom in the HC was the clincher for them.

For us it was all features, including iN-Command, the bigger TV, wider fireplace, LED tail lights and the dual awnings. We don't care for a big bathroom.

Comes down to personal choice.

sourdough
01-20-2020, 06:30 PM
I purchased a 2019 Cougar 315RLS and my best friend a Montana HC 330RL. We are both super happy.

The dual sink bathroom in the HC was the clincher for them.

For us it was all features, including iN-Command, the bigger TV, wider fireplace, LED tail lights and the dual awnings. We don't care for a big bathroom.

Comes down to personal choice.

You are totally correct and the perfect example of different strokes for different folks. Like your friend, DW got tired of the more compact bathroom sink. I don't like nor want InCommand. The size of the TV in the HC is plenty large. I like a larger TV; we have a very large one at home for the two of us but the room is about 30' x 40' - RV sizes don't need to be like to IMO. The Cougar has a larger TV but DW told me she has no use looking at a 55" TV at 5'. The HC has the "quiet air conditioning" vs just regular units plus other things. I've been a Cougar guy for many years. The clincher? Just found out by me yesterday? DW now wants a washer/dryer (has said "never forever")...stacked, not the "combo" unit that everyone advises against. The Cougar only does not offer it, the frame can't support it.....so, here we are (me) pushing every limit I have ever said for a gas engine...but, will try it. Thankfully if it fails they make a diesel!!!:lol::lol::banghead: No diesel/gas comments please. :)

chuckster57
01-20-2020, 06:36 PM
I won’t make any comment until you pay your fees and join the 1ton DRW diesel club. :)

sourdough
01-20-2020, 07:18 PM
I won’t make any comment until you pay your fees and join the 1ton DRW diesel club. :)

Stop!!! Loved my 1/2 tons and HD trucks killed my back (until I found I had multiple gallstones causing it....for 30 years). Loved my 3/4 ton gas, LOVED it, but went to a 1 ton GAS, 4.10, 8 speed tranny to get to a higher tow rate/payload and planned on, as I said, about a 12-13k loaded unit (max tow :) about 17k).

Though doing this for some time we are sort of redefining our lifestyle toward the "older age style". I didn't know what that was years before. I never thought about divesting ourselves of all of our free time options but we have found the cost/benefits just don't work out for us long term so that's what we are doing. After so long looking at Keystone and other products, I was sold on Cougar. Could not get to that other "level" going to the Montana line with the costs, size etc. So, zeroed in on the Cougar.

Determined I would by a new unit as we got older....no more after this one. I was set on Cougar and so was DW; had the unit located 315rls. Right on the line to buy and what? DW says she wants a washer/dryer? Thought about a washer/dryer combo. Every single person we know said "no way" -they're terrible - get the stackable. NOTE: the Cougar will not support a stackable unit...it must be the combo unit...a no go.

So here we are; for those thinking things "won't change"; "can't happen"; got it nailed; know it all (that might have been me until DW intervention)….etc. Until 2 days ago a washer/dryer in the RV was laughed at by both of us.....now.... What the heck happens???? And there I was....fat, dumb and happy....:banghead:

chuckster57
01-20-2020, 07:23 PM
It’s ALL GOOD my friend!!!!

77cruiser
01-20-2020, 07:42 PM
Looks like the 331 & 330 are about the same except for the fridge.
We like our 331. We put W/D in too, wife wouldn't have it different.

sourdough
01-20-2020, 07:47 PM
It’s ALL GOOD my friend!!!!

Thanks Chuck. I post this stuff because, at my age, which I thought could not happen, I continue to learn. What is that to me? Totally fixed in my thoughts? That ain't what it is. I KNEW what I wanted and was gonna get it. DW? DW has NEVER said a word about a washer/dryer, never wanted one, and now we are looking at a larger 5th wheel, which we said we never wanted, with a W/D??? For the members, things change. Of everyone I ever knew I would say I KNOW what I want and what I will do....but DW now wants to be involved...after 52 years. I'm good. Just gotta find the thing that works as we move toward that "older stage". I appreciate your and everyone else's input.

sourdough
01-20-2020, 07:53 PM
Looks like the 331 & 330 are about the same except for the fridge.
We like our 331. We put W/D in too, wife wouldn't have it different.

Thank you. 331 has the residential fridge which I said I would never have. We have changed our habits and only stay in improved campgrounds with AC. The unit has the inverter so we should not have an issue when traveling which puts me OK with it. Hoping it all goes well.

Question?? Does the 331 have a stove/oven vent? I did not see it in the youtube video and have not heard back from the dealer.

JRTJH
01-20-2020, 08:39 PM
Danny,

If I remember, there were a couple of issues with the HC stackable washer/dryer cabinet. I'm not certain about the exact details, but there was some issue with the cabinet not being deep enough ??? Maybe it was that there wasn't enough room for the dryer vent behind the units and the door wouldn't close on the cabinet ??? I just don't remember, but you might, if you're looking at a stackable washer/dryer, have it included in the deal, that way there's no surprise after you drag it off the lot, and find there's an issue. In other words, if Keystone hasn't got the problem resolved, let them deal with it, not you :)

Nice floorplan, BTW, I think you'll love towing a fifth wheel and, once you get over the "stairclimbing" every time you go to the bathroom, you'll love the added "concept of space" that the tall ceiling provide.

sourdough
01-20-2020, 09:49 PM
Danny,

If I remember, there were a couple of issues with the HC stackable washer/dryer cabinet. I'm not certain about the exact details, but there was some issue with the cabinet not being deep enough ??? Maybe it was that there wasn't enough room for the dryer vent behind the units and the door wouldn't close on the cabinet ??? I just don't remember, but you might, if you're looking at a stackable washer/dryer, have it included in the deal, that way there's no surprise after you drag it off the lot, and find there's an issue. In other words, if Keystone hasn't got the problem resolved, let them deal with it, not you :)

Nice floorplan, BTW, I think you'll love towing a fifth wheel and, once you get over the "stairclimbing" every time you go to the bathroom, you'll love the added "concept of space" that the tall ceiling provide.

Thanks John. I don't know anything about a w/d in an RV but I did tell the GM to add that to the deal, install it etc. I totally want it to be part of the "package".

The stairs in a 5th wheel have always been a no go for us. After my 7th knee surgery on my R knee (not counting the left) I have actually been able to run around like I did when I was 50. It is great; DW looks at me like I'm on steroids....until the gas runs out etc. :lol: No pain, lots of loss of range of motion but those little steps look like they will be OK....until I tumble down them; except I won't come down until I'm up and the bathroom is right there. DW was sold on the large bathroom right off the bat. We'll see. Thanks for the heads up.

77cruiser
01-21-2020, 04:17 AM
Question?? Does the 331 have a stove/oven vent? I did not see it in the youtube video and have not heard back from the dealer.

No mine doesn't.

77cruiser
01-21-2020, 04:56 AM
Do a test run of the WD before you need it. They installed mine & the washer didn't drain. They said they installed the waterless trap wrong.

chuckster57
01-21-2020, 05:06 AM
Do a test run of the WD before you need it. They installed mine & the washer didn't drain. They said they installed the waterless trap wrong.

Any decent tech would have ran them after install.

flybouy
01-21-2020, 07:11 AM
Any decent tech would have ran them after install.

And that there would be the problem. The "decent tech", mechanic, wait staff, store clerk, plumber, repairman, etc., etc. are a dying breed. Seems like most of the last generations want to be neurosurgeons, or at least paid like one.
JMHO

wiredgeorge
01-21-2020, 07:31 AM
And that there would be the problem. The "decent tech", mechanic, wait staff, store clerk, plumber, repairman, etc., etc. are a dying breed. Seems like most of the last generations want to be neurosurgeons, or at least paid like one.
JMHO

I retired from the Fed in 1995. Worked in private industry for a few years (most IBM) and the opened a small business in 2004. We lived overseas till 1983 and my first house in suburban College Park was purchased at about $62K (what our budget said we could afford). This is what we could afford and interest rates were obscene. I watch the HGTV and DYI reality shows where first time buyers are asked what their budgets are and it isn't uncommon for $350-500K. I think the kids today are making a bit more than I did when we bought our first house.

Kids today don't go to school to become decent techs, mechanics, clerks or trademen; they go to school to study cultural diversity, political science, art, etc. I paid for my college out of pocket as I went by working summers full time and then after school jobs (multiple) during the school year. Today, kids spend the rest of their lives paying back school loans. Things have changed. For the better? Who knows?

turbo
01-26-2020, 08:14 AM
Well, here I am....20 questions.

I have posted numerous times about looking for a new 1 ton and new 5th wheel. I've narrowed that down to a Cougar 315rls and a GD 337 rls?

I am leaning, and pretty much inclined, to go with the 315rls. Like the Cougar vs the Reflection. Price is almost identical. Cougar seems, to me, a little nicer inside; Reflection is a GD...but don't know what that means anymore?

My question would be to anyone on the forum that might own the 315rls. Problems, situational things that didn't work, lack pass thru space, AC ducting, etc. The GD has a super nice stove top that I love...the Cougar does not. The Reflection still retains "switches" vs In Command,which I've never had but hate before I do.

Thoughts/insights would be greatly appreciated. Talked to the GM of my CW back in TX and he will make me a heck of a deal on a 315rls. Will take me a 6 day round trip to get it and return plus transferring....but I want to know if the trailer is worth it. Your thoughts are really appreciated.

Looked at these 2 plus the Montana but the latter, while nicer, was very heavy. Picked the 2019 Cougar 315RLS - because of InCommand, big tv, tv in the bedroom, big fireplace, and lovely layout. Very happy with it, love that InCommand lets me in/out both awnings while at the campfire, and turn off lights while in bed. Only issues we had - the outside front yellow LEDs are not accessible via InCommand, and the fridge doesnt open when slides in (by about 1/2 inch!, but easy enough to open slightly to pack the fridge before leaving). Very happy with this and mated it to a 2019 F350 Diesel and B&W 20k manual slider hitch (which Ive fortunately never need to slide as there is lots of cab clearance with this combo). Good luck.
Turbo.

RET.LEO
01-26-2020, 01:08 PM
I'v been seeing more and more of GD owners complaining about uneven tire wear....turns out to be axles not placed "square".

JRTJH
01-26-2020, 02:09 PM
I'v been seeing more and more of GD owners complaining about uneven tire wear....turns out to be axles not placed "square".

The axles, on Keystone trailers anyway, don't come installed on the chassis. The chassis is delivered from Lippert (in stacks of 5) and the axle/spring assemblies are delivered to the line on pallets (10-20 per pallet). When the chassis goes into the line, it's inverted, the "underbelly components are installed, the DACOR/COROPLAST liner is installed and the axles are installed. Then the chassis is turned over (right side up) placed on rollers and moves to the next station on the assembly line.

I would make a "best guess" that the GD process is similar. If so, then the misaligned axles is a GD issue. That may explain why we haven't seen similar tire wear on Keystone trailers....

All it takes (or so it seems) is a "new guy on the line" making the same mistake for days or weeks or months <YIKES> before someone realizes that he didn't do it correctly... What to blame? Training, the guy, the process ?? doesn't much matter when you're buying new tires at 2000 miles....

Hopefully we won't see a repeat of that issue with Keystone's production line.

Preyou
01-26-2020, 03:02 PM
Jan 7 was our one year with our 2019 315RLS. It has spent a lot of time at the dealer for service so take that into consideration. Nothing really serious--antenna blew off, blinds that fall, trim that deteriorated, bolt that protruded up through the floor, refrigerator lamp fell out. Nothing major but time and frustration over issues that I feel are primarily QA issues at the plant. You cannot open the refrigerator door with the slide closed due to 1/4" interference--told it was due to metric design and imperial manufacturing. The valve for the #2 grey tank is way under the unit. You have to get on hands and knees to open it. I leave mine open all the time and added a valve at the discharge. InCommand was worked well. Leveling system has not had any issues. I pull with a 2019 F250 with 6.7 diesel. Get about 11 MPG. Oven is fine except for lighting the oven. It does not have a pilot and it takes MANY turns of the igniter to light. OEM says this is normal.
The question is whether I would buy another one. From what I have read in the forums, QA in the plants does not exist. There are no schematics, plumbing drawings, or general info on any of them. We like the unit but would look and talk to owners before purchase.

ctbruce
01-27-2020, 06:28 AM
The axles, on Keystone trailers anyway, don't come installed on the chassis. The chassis is delivered from Lippert (in stacks of 5) and the axle/spring assemblies are delivered to the line on pallets (10-20 per pallet). When the chassis goes into the line, it's inverted, the "underbelly components are installed, the DACOR/COROPLAST liner is installed and the axles are installed. Then the chassis is turned over (right side up) placed on rollers and moves to the next station on the assembly line.

I would make a "best guess" that the GD process is similar. If so, then the misaligned axles is a GD issue. That may explain why we haven't seen similar tire wear on Keystone trailers....

All it takes (or so it seems) is a "new guy on the line" making the same mistake for days or weeks or months <YIKES> before someone realizes that he didn't do it correctly... What to blame? Training, the guy, the process ?? doesn't much matter when you're buying new tires at 2000 miles....

Hopefully we won't see a repeat of that issue with Keystone's production line.I heard the guy at GD was looking for a job, so this problem could migrate elsewhere.

JRTJH
01-27-2020, 07:02 AM
I heard the guy at GD was looking for a job, so this problem could migrate elsewhere.

That is a very good (and valid) concern... As production grows, then falls, then grows again, "line layoffs" occur at any plant. Those workers have the option of sitting around the house on unemployment or looking for work somewhere else. Many "move down the block" to a different factory, different assembly line, some even move within Keystone to a different facility. Hideouts and Springdales today and Alpines and Montanas tomorrow.... Quality? what's different in the assembly of entry level and luxury models ??? Wonder why there might be a "trim problem in a Montana" ???

Then, there's always the guy that doesn't like his boss, the shift work or can get 50 cents an hour more "where they're hiring this week" and moves for whatever reason. I'm sure every plant has some unique, small differences, even if, to an outsider, the jobs look identical. For instance, at one plant, the worker installs axles, aligns them and verifies the alignment in one sequence while in another plant, the worker installs axles, aligns them, BUT a second worker checks the alignment and then tightens the bolts. Moving from the first to the second would mean a "triple check" while moving from the second to the first would mean the bolts were loose when the trailer is turned over (right side up) to move down the line. Trailers move down the line on dollies and aren't supported by their axles until they are pulled out of the plant "big door". Chances are it would be towed to the dealership with loose bolts in the axle hangers and possibly the big "spring block U bolts" as well...

I can see where a "new guy not familiar with everything" could easily cause many "guffaws" that would/could go undetected until they cause a problem, possibly well after the warranty has expired.....

ctbruce
01-27-2020, 07:50 AM
That is a very good (and valid) concern... As production grows, then falls, then grows again, "line layoffs" occur at any plant. Those workers have the option of sitting around the house on unemployment or looking for work somewhere else. Many "move down the block" to a different factory, different assembly line, some even move within Keystone to a different facility. Hideouts and Springdales today and Alpines and Montanas tomorrow.... Quality? what's different in the assembly of entry level and luxury models ??? Wonder why there might be a "trim problem in a Montana" ???

Then, there's always the guy that doesn't like his boss, the shift work or can get 50 cents an hour more "where they're hiring this week" and moves for whatever reason. I'm sure every plant has some unique, small differences, even if, to an outsider, the jobs look identical. For instance, at one plant, the worker installs axles, aligns them and verifies the alignment in one sequence while in another plant, the worker installs axles, aligns them, BUT a second worker checks the alignment and then tightens the bolts. Moving from the first to the second would mean a "triple check" while moving from the second to the first would mean the bolts were loose when the trailer is turned over (right side up) to move down the line. Trailers move down the line on dollies and aren't supported by their axles until they are pulled out of the plant "big door". Chances are it would be towed to the dealership with loose bolts in the axle hangers and possibly the big "spring block U bolts" as well...

I can see where a "new guy not familiar with everything" could easily cause many "guffaws" that would/could go undetected until they cause a problem, possibly well after the warranty has expired.....Which goes right back around to the need for training and verifying that training. Just because Sylvester did the job at GD doesnt mean he can or should do it unsupervised at Keystone. Wait, this starting to sound like a call for better quality control!

Thomson7220
01-27-2020, 08:38 AM
I bought a Cougar 315RLS a year ago. the design fit all our needs. It has been great. We got the king size bed, with second TV and Second AC. Both are a must. Storage is great. Love the command center can be done with your phone. The hook up area is well planned out. Had only minor problems. The main AC went dad, they replaced it. The converter died on last trip December? replaced it and not other problems. They do seem to be about the same. Like the captains chairs in the 337 better. The bathroom has a bigger bath sink area also. the shower in the 315 seems bigger? The new self leveling steps in the 315 are much better. price might be the only thing to sway me if both were matched.

flybouy
01-27-2020, 08:46 AM
QC is an issue that's not isolated to the RV industry.

When I was running my '72 Gran Torino I dropped the pan and shift body on the C4 tranny to install a B&M shift kit. When I did, there was a plastic plug with a plastic rod connected to it lying in the bottom of the pan. I stopped there and held this object in my had trying to figure out where in the world it came from. It wouldn't fit anywhere no matter how I held it. I proceeded to install the shift kit and all worked well. I threw the foreign object in my tool box and went on. A couple of months later I followed my SIL to the local transmission shop for work on her car. I retrieved the object and asked the shop owner if he had ever seen this. He laughed and said "I bet that made you _ _ _ T your pants". He said it was the plug for the dipstick tube for the tranny. The assembly line was supposed to remove it and put it in a bin to reuse on more transmissions. He said they caught a few guys on the line pushing them in the transmission instead. As it didn't effect the transmission Ford never mentioned it.

Part two, my sister and BIL in the late '70's bought a beautiful new Chevy Impala. The transmission was replaced early on (this was when they were putting Vega transmissions in the full sized Chevy's). While it was in the shop they relayed to the shop foreman that every time they stopped, and started they heard a rapid clicking sound and a bang. Come to find out, some assembly worker was putting large nuts in the rocker panel before it was welded shut. Apparently he thought it was funny. Chevy never mentioned it. I guess if your hearing was that bad it was o.k.

Thomson7220
01-27-2020, 08:57 AM
Same here Can't get into refrig. when closed. 1/2 + inch would have been better. But not a big deal. The command center is great like you said does lights, water ,awnings etc, slide outs if needed when outside. Best design I found out there when I was looking at many 12/2019