PDA

View Full Version : AC When Plugged into 110v

Benbill
01-10-2020, 01:23 PM
This fall I am planning a big West states trip and a friend who lives in Portal Arizona has invited us to visit and park the 5er in his driveway. We will be traveling with our four dogs and I need to make sure that we have air-conditioning for them. Will I be able to run one or both of my AC units off of 110 V with a 15 or 20 amp circuit? The AC units are 30,000 BTU. Also, will the gauge of the extension cord help out this situation? Thank you for your help as I am electrically challenged.

flybouy
01-10-2020, 01:34 PM
Short answer is no. A 15k btu air conditioner will draw 12 to 13 amps running, much,much higher when it starts up.. The converter will put you over on the 15 Amp circuit when combined with the ac.

Frank G
01-10-2020, 03:12 PM
This fall I am planning a big West states trip and a friend who lives in Portal Arizona has invited us to visit and park the 5er in his driveway. We will be traveling with our four dogs and I need to make sure that we have air-conditioning for them. Will I be able to run one or both of my AC units off of 110 V with a 15 or 20 amp circuit? The AC units are 30,000 BTU. Also, will the gauge of the extension cord help out this situation? Thank you for your help as I am electrically challenged.

I know this isn't about dogs, but, most campgrounds have a limit on pets. We traveled with 2 small dogs and not an issue. You may want to ask that question to get a better idea what is permitted in different campgrounds.

sourdough
01-10-2020, 04:11 PM
At my home, when I have the trailer there for a short period of time, I can run the AC off a 20A circuit. It is a dedicated 20A I had installed when I added "BBQ Central" at the house. I run the RV lights (12v) and that's about it. I also run the fridge when preparing to leave on a trip. The individual circuit will dictate what you can/can't run. 2 ACs is out. My main 15k will work. Keep in mind that if the voltage/current is marginal it may "run" but not properly and damage the AC.

4 dogs is a bit much for most campgrounds so you need to check when you make reservations. Many, if not most, will not allow it. If you aren't diligent about picking up all that poop you will find yourself eyeball to eyeball with the manager of the park or someone like me and my neighbors.;) They need to be trained not to bark....

GHen
01-10-2020, 04:48 PM
I run my 15,000 btu A/C unit on a 20 amp service but need 30 amp to run it and other 110v items. I would need a 50 amp service to run a second 15,000 btu A/C unit at the same time.

GHen
01-10-2020, 04:52 PM
Just to be clear, roof mounted RV A/C units are either 13,500 btu or 15,000. Your 30,000 btu probably means you have 2 15,000 units.

CedarCreekWoody
01-11-2020, 03:46 AM
If you do run an A/C on a 20 amp circuit make sure there is very little else running. An electric water heater is a huge power hog, be sure it is off. Run it on propane. You may also want to run the fridge on propane if that is an option. Don't use the microwave oven.

flybouy
01-11-2020, 11:52 AM
The biggest issue I see here is the OP admitted he has little knowledge of electricity. He stated a "15 or 20 amp" so it sounds like he's not sure and it sounds like he's going by the info given to him by his "friend" so how accurate is that info?

A lot of the responses are "I have no issues on my 20 amp" but were not sure that's what's available. I hate to think that reading this the OP "assumes" he's OK, shows up, plugs into a 15 amp circuit fed by 14 ga wire with who knows what else on the circuit.

I'd rather err on the side of caution that have someone roll into town, plug in, turn on the air and leave 4 dogs and come back to find out that a freezer was plugged into the same circuit inside the home and when it came on it tripped the breaker and heat exhaustion killed 4 dogs.

JMHO

Ken / Claudia
01-12-2020, 09:05 AM
Just thinking out of the box on this answer. Having RVs parked in driveway for storage and fighting the 15a house or garage outlets. I had a 30a rv outlet placed on my home garage for only an couple hundred bucks. Same thing when built a house at the coast. Than anyone visiting could use their A/C and not need a genny running. Maybe assist your friend with the cost, having 30a or 50a a service will solve a lot of problems.

flybouy
01-12-2020, 10:59 AM
Just thinking out of the box on this answer. Having RVs parked in driveway for storage and fighting the 15a house or garage outlets. I had a 30a rv outlet placed on my home garage for only an couple hundred bucks. Same thing when built a house at the coast. Than anyone visiting could use their A/C and not need a genny running. Maybe assist your friend with the cost, having 30a or 50a a service will solve a lot of problems.

Or if it's a "one time" visit he could take the money and board the dogs in a nice, safe attended boarding service.

JRTJH
01-12-2020, 11:37 AM
Or if it's a "one time" visit he could take the money and board the dogs in a nice, safe attended boarding service.

Marshall,

Around here, boarding 4 dogs for a week would cost more than wiring a 100' run of 50 amp two phase power. Locally, it's roughly $20 a day per dog for boarding in a kennel, and the "specialty dog-tels" that cater to upscale individual rooms (not to be confused with individual kennels) with sofa and bed, twice daily walks and a bath before pickup run upwards of $50 a day per dog....

Boarding ain't cheap in these here parts.....

flybouy
01-12-2020, 11:41 AM
Marshall,

Around here, boarding 4 dogs for a week would cost more than wiring a 100' run of 50 amp two phase power. Locally, it's roughly $20 a day per dog for boarding in a kennel, and the "specialty dog-tels" that cater to upscale individual rooms (not to be confused with individual kennels) with sofa and bed, twice daily walks and a bath before pickup run upwards of $50 a day per dog....

Boarding ain't cheap in these here parts.....

The OP didn't say how long his stay would be or how long he would be away from his dogs. Boarding ain't cheap here either but neither are electricians....

JRTJH
01-12-2020, 11:51 AM
The OP didn't say how long his stay would be or how long he would be away from his dogs. Boarding ain't cheap here either but neither are electricians....

Yup, Yup, BTDT (boarding and electricians) That's why I bought my own tools and haven't adopted another dog.....

flybouy
01-12-2020, 12:04 PM
Yup, Yup, BTDT (boarding and electricians) That's why I bought my own tools and haven't adopted another dog.....

My theory on tools (at least when I was still working) was that if the cost of the tool came close to the amount of time it saved me X $100 per hour then I'd look at the cost as justified and every time I used the tool after that was "free".

We had up to 3 dogs at one time and now down to one. One is much easier but couldn't image not having the one. Only time we ever "boarded" was at Dollywood. They have Doggie World in the park at a reasonable rate. When we travel without the dogs we have a relative that house sits and takes care of the dog, best situation IMHO.

Halcyon
01-12-2020, 12:04 PM
We travel with 4 or 5 dogs both on vacation and to dog shows. We have twice gone to the Dallas area in June where I plugged into a 15 amp 110 circuit for our 33’ 5er with a 14 gauge, 50’ extension cord. The dogs each have their own wire kennels, strapped down to the floor. When I first started the AC, it tripped the circuit breaker at the barn we were connected to. After several tripped circuits, I started the AC on fan for a couple of minutes. Then I switched to AC and didn’t have any more tripped breakers, running one 15k AC unit all day long. Outside temp was not hot - 80 or so, but the dogs were fine all day.
As for traveling with 4 dogs, we have show and performance dogs that are exceptionally well trained. We have never had problems with RV campgrounds. We do, however, check their pet policy, and if they have a limit, we call and explain our situation. We have been accepted at almost all of them.

CampingRooster
01-16-2020, 08:15 AM
Will I be able to run one or both of my AC units off of 110 V with a 15 or 20 amp circuit?

Not recommended. You can do it, but your really shouldn't. I had a friend do this at my house here in Southern CA, and the AC did run until the extension cord caught fire.

SkiSmuggs
01-16-2020, 09:42 AM
THIS is a great idea. I have a friend that we mooch dock with for a couple of weeks a year and I paid for a 20A outlet. At other infrequent mooch docking homes, I got the heaviest extension cord available (25-50'), avoided all other 110 electric use unless turning off the AC first. Set the refrig and water heater for propane only.
I've had to school DW on using propane vs electric for those appliances as she thinks propane costs $10 a day. LOL

sonofcy
01-16-2020, 11:22 AM

I used to plug my TT into a 20amp 110 GFCI and ran a 100' #12 or #10 cord (I don't remember which but 10 is preferred). It worked fine. I doubt a 15A circuit will handle a 15,000 and of course only one of the AC's can run at one time.

crowbar
01-16-2020, 12:42 PM
At my home, when I have the trailer there for a short period of time, I can run the AC off a 20A circuit. It is a dedicated 20A I had installed when I added "BBQ Central" at the house. I run the RV lights (12v) and that's about it. I also run the fridge when preparing to leave on a trip. The individual circuit will dictate what you can/can't run. 2 ACs is out. My main 15k will work. Keep in mind that if the voltage/current is marginal it may "run" but not properly and damage the AC.

4 dogs is a bit much for most campgrounds so you need to check when you make reservations. Many, if not most, will not allow it. If you aren't diligent about picking up all that poop you will find yourself eyeball to eyeball with the manager of the park or someone like me and my neighbors.;) They need to be trained not to bark....
I think everybody should lighten up on the "dogs" issue. He never said anything about going to a campground. He said he was parking in his friend's driveway.

sourdough
01-16-2020, 04:00 PM
I think everybody should lighten up on the "dogs" issue. He never said anything about going to a campground. He said he was parking in his friend's driveway.

You might want to read the complete post:

"This fall I am planning a big West states trip"

I can't help but assume that is more than a friend's driveway. :whistling: