PDA

View Full Version : keeping roof clean of moss

Randallf
01-09-2020, 10:21 PM
I'm looking for a roof cleaner that stops moss from growing on the roof. If there is a product out there.
I can't cover my 5th wheel do to some health issues which permitts me from getting up on the roof.
I'm not sure what my roof is made of but i know its not rubber.
I have a 2017 kingstone Sprinter
I appreciate any help on this
BTW,my first winter without covering it.:facepalm:
Randallf

foldbak
01-10-2020, 06:08 AM
I'm looking for a roof cleaner that stops moss from growing on the roof. If there is a product out there.
I can't cover my 5th wheel do to some health issues which permitts me from getting up on the roof.
I'm not sure what my roof is made of but i know its not rubber.
I have a 2017 kingstone Sprinter
I appreciate any help on this
BTW,my first winter without covering it.:facepalm:
Randallf

The only RV roof material I'm aware of is EPDM and TPO both rubber. And of course they don't recommend anything but soap and water. They have a pesticide for moss but I don't know if it will damage the roof. I'm sure someone else has run across this.

JRTJH
01-10-2020, 07:58 AM
Your roof membrane is made of TPO, a plastic material. It does not (per the manufacturer) support or cause growth of mold or mildew. What does cause/support mold/mildew is the organic materials deposited on the membrane. Things like bird droppings, sap from parking under trees, dirt blown onto the roof while it's damp/wet.

The "key to a clean roof" is also the "key to a mold/mildew/moss free roof.

As for products that will help achieve that goal, I don't know of any that will do that. The manufacturer's cleaning/maintenance guides do recommend "comprehensive and through cleaning on a frequent and regular basis.

I clean mine with Dawn dish soap every year and follow that with a liberal coating of Aerospace 303. Whether that helps or not is anybody's guess, but it seems to help mine stay a little cleaner a little longer. I'm sure there are as many "owner contrived methods" as there are owners and trailers....

While it's not a "pick your poison" kind of process, it sometimes seems that way. The key, at least for me, is keeping the roof clean and making a conscious effort not to park it where it's exposed to birds, sap and dusty winds.

Rvman
04-11-2024, 08:33 AM
try a zinc strip on the roof, that should stop it from growing but to actually remove the moss from the roof you will want to use a roof scraper (https://roofscraper.co.uk/) its a tool on the end of a pole specially made to remove moss from roofs. The wire brush was very good at removing it, but it did wreck my shoulders not a job I would actually recommend doing. best to pay someone else to do it