PDA

View Full Version : Hitch grease brand recommendation

SummitPond
01-08-2020, 07:01 AM
What brand/type of hitch grease do you use for your bumper pull?

I've been using motorcycle chain lube (at the recommendation of my first RV dealer) with reasonable satisfaction, but recently have noticed some spalling on top of the hitch ball with my new trailer/load equalization hitch (I didn't have load equalization with the old trailer, again at the recommendation of the dealer). I don't know if this is normal or shows the need for grease versus the chain lube.

Thanks for you help.

Gobirds38
01-08-2020, 07:37 AM
I use marine wheel bearing grease. It won't wash out in the rain.

flybouy
01-08-2020, 07:50 AM
Reese Towpower 58117 Hitch Ball Lube. Been using it for about 5 years with no issues.

sourdough
01-08-2020, 08:39 AM
Reese Towpower 58117 Hitch Ball Lube. Been using it for about 5 years with no issues.

^^^^^This is what I use. Got a container sitting in the truck.

JRTJH
01-08-2020, 08:42 AM
As "different" as it might seem, some people recommend Dawn dishsoap. It coats the ball/hitch surfaces, is easy to wash out or clean up, doesn't stain if you brush against it and provides the needed "slick surface" for metal to metal contact.

I don't use a WD hitch any longer, but did use Ivory dishsoap (pre-Dawn era) years/decades ago.

66joej
01-08-2020, 09:08 AM
As "different" as it might seem, some people recommend Dawn dishsoap. It coats the ball/hitch surfaces, is easy to wash out or clean up, doesn't stain if you brush against it and provides the needed "slick surface" for metal to metal contact.

I don't use a WD hitch any longer, but did use Ivory dishsoap (pre-Dawn era) years/decades ago.

^Ditto on the Dawn. Cheap, lubes and easy clean up. Used synthetic grease but found it is messy. Have an E4 hitch. YMMV

SummitPond
01-09-2020, 06:30 AM
All,

Thank you for your suggestions.

I am going to try the Dawn approach first. One reason I liked the chain lube was it is relatively clean, as will be the Dawn.

How much do you put on the ball?

Thanks again.

Gobirds38
01-09-2020, 06:36 AM
I have never heard of using Dawn. This really works?

66joej
01-09-2020, 06:54 AM
I have never heard of using Dawn. This really works?

Works for me. Cost you $0.99 (99 Cent Store) to try.

sourdough
01-09-2020, 09:09 AM
I tried Dawn years ago on the Equalizer. It did not live up to my expectations. It does lube, for the moment. On the L brackets it was gone by the end of the first day travels - if it rained or even a light mist, there was nothing left on the L brackets. The grease stays. It does present some possible issues with getting dirty but before I install it in the receiver, or take it out of the receiver, I wipe it down and remove most of the grease so it doesn't really present a big issue vs the benefits of trying to lube w/Dawn all the time. That was my experience others have different ones I'm sure.

travelin texans
01-09-2020, 09:27 AM
I'm with Danny, the Dawn worked well as a short term lube.
WD40 or other spray lubes don't work well long term either, IMO.
If it's slippery, gooey, thick & messy, of whatever brand you choose, it'll probably work better than the soap or sprays long term, but have rags & gloves handy when near it.

flybouy
01-09-2020, 09:29 AM
I previously stated that I use the Reese lube on the Reese wd hitch. In my thinking, if the hitch ball galls up Reese is going to get a call.

I don't have a problem with getting the grease on me. A proper coating is just enough for a thin coating on the ball. I use a ball cover and coat the inside of that with a thin film as well. Makes getting the cover on and off easier and keeps it lubed.

I've driven in some very heavy rains for several hours and never had it wash off. To each their own and whatever works for you is great but personally I think investing more than 99 cents to lube the single point that pulls the trailer is not a waste of money.

geeman
01-16-2020, 08:37 AM
I tried Dawn years ago on the Equalizer. It did not live up to my expectations. It does lube, for the moment. On the L brackets it was gone by the end of the first day travels - if it rained or even a light mist, there was nothing left on the L brackets. The grease stays. It does present some possible issues with getting dirty but before I install it in the receiver, or take it out of the receiver, I wipe it down and remove most of the grease so it doesn't really present a big issue vs the benefits of trying to lube w/Dawn all the time. That was my experience others have different ones I'm sure.

They sell clip on plastic plates for the L brackets. I made a couple years ago. dont use lube there. Still get enough hold for sway too.

Use some poly grease from the local implement dealer... they can set you up with something that sticks

mjsibe
01-16-2020, 01:04 PM
Yep that good stuff

Northofu1
01-16-2020, 01:17 PM
My first big trip to the maritimes we left a campground just outside of Fredricton NB and it sounded like two young lovers going to town on an old spring mattress, everybody stopped what they were doing and open mouth stares looking at us. I hit an Irving gas station, a really nice one by the way with a great restaurant, and bought an aerosol can of white lithium. I sprayed everything. It's still quiet. It was a bit messy at first, I have a large supply of nitrile gloves so I don't care. But it has stopped being messy.
I was watching a video on the pullrite superlite goose neck and they recommend the dry PTFE lube on the ball.

Super55
01-16-2020, 06:34 PM
I use Reese Towpower grease also, put hitch ball cover on ball when not in use. Also use the equalizer nylon sway bracket jacket on the L brackets, don't get all the squeaks and groans from the hitch anymore moving through the campgrounds.

Whitewolf
01-17-2020, 06:10 AM
I carry a small tube of Permatex white lithium grease. I don’t have any problems using it on my goose neck.

Beemer Phil
01-19-2020, 03:00 PM
It’s hard to believe that any kind of soap product has any lubrication qualities. Any type of high quality chassis grease is appropriate.

Jim2366
01-20-2020, 09:14 PM
I purchased a plastic disc from the dealer and then put the grease that came with the b&w hitch. I will see how long it lasts I only have pulled the RV 400 miles.