PDA

View Full Version : Back roads vs interstate

sonofcy
01-05-2020, 11:06 AM
I would like to get opinions on the back roads vs interstate travel differences.
Although I can see the charm and possibilities of serendipitous discovery that back roads offer, the issue I have with back roads is the road is not divided so the chance of a head on collision is infinitely higher. A smaller problem is the likelihood of encountering RV specific issue re clearances and road issues like construction zones. I try to use 3 or more routing tools like a properly (fastest time) configured RV specific GPS, google maps, RV Trip Wizard and a host of RV specific Apps (currently 44).

cliff
01-05-2020, 11:28 AM
We have had a Rand GPS properly configured, take us down some really bad back roads with lots of switchbacks and hairpins. Examples are CA 111, CA1, and tried to take us into a subdivison. So, the back roads even with the thought of a possibility of seeing the biggest ball of string aren't worth it. The other part of back roads is that they do not have the less than 8% grades and are really hard on the engine and transmission. The more it shifts, the more it heats and wears. Then you have the fun of having to back up to a turn around place because you can't fit. not all back roads have all of the low points registered. So drive the interstates and when you unhook spend a day or two exploring the back roads. Besides a good GPS has the sights along the way nd you can pick and chose your stops to see them. Forgot to mention when we went down CA 1 from Monterey to Morrow Bay, at the end of the trip my arms, shoulders, back, and head ached from the stress and turns.

roadglide
01-05-2020, 11:33 AM
I stay away from the Interstate as much as possible but interstates are easier to find fuel most the time easier to pull off for a break. I hate the heavy interstate trucking traffic and vehicles traffic as a whole. I have found a lot of state roads are divided and easer to find fuel . I have driven some secondary roads like 60 from Missouri going west to I 25 in New Mexico there is not a lot traffic along With fewer Places to pull over. I have 96 gallons of diesel fuel on board .

Ken / Claudia
01-05-2020, 11:48 AM
My RV travels has been limited to OR, WA, CA. Normally to get from point A to B. The destination being the fun part. So, I mostly use the fast route which is the interstate freeways most of the time.
I agree there is a big beautiful USA that will never be seen on a freeway.
My main point coming from 26 years working State Police and several more with a Sheriffs Dept. in the Portland metro area. Yes, head on crashes are the worst. Many times they have death involved when we are talking about highways. So, I worked both mostly at night and read, learned and was involved in stats about crashes. I no longer have access to current data at my finger tip. But, most deadly crashes involving cross overs have to do with #1 DUII at night, #2 weather. You will might even the odds if you avoid those times. I think its about 4 or 5 to 1 deaths on highways vs freeways at least here. Bottom line freeways are safer to travel on than highways for many reasons. Is that a reason not to travel on them, you decide.

flybouy
01-05-2020, 11:52 AM
I had a Rand McNally RV GPS when they first came out with the RV specific unit. It was horrendous. I chalked it up to the "new tech". The Garmin's I have had and currently have are far superior to that experience. The Garmin will route me around sharp turns, steep grades, low bridges, weight and propane restrictions, etc.

As for taking the "back roads" I enjoy the slower pace and the scenery. Not having a barrier between lanes is less of a hazard in my mind than the jokers cutting me off and jamming on the brakes to make an exit ramp. But being retired, I have the luxury of time.

Only you know what your priorities, preferences and limitations are. The most important thing to me is choosing the least stressful most enjoyable experience.

sonofcy
01-05-2020, 11:57 AM
We have had a Rand GPS properly configured, take us down some really bad back roads with lots of switchbacks and hairpins. Examples are CA 111, CA1, and tried to take us into a subdivison. So, the back roads even with the thought of a possibility of seeing the biggest ball of string aren't worth it. The other part of back roads is that they do not have the less than 8% grades and are really hard on the engine and transmission. The more it shifts, the more it heats and wears. Then you have the fun of having to back up to a turn around place because you can't fit. not all back roads have all of the low points registered. So drive the interstates and when you unhook spend a day or two exploring the back roads. Besides a good GPS has the sights along the way nd you can pick and chose your stops to see them. Forgot to mention when we went down CA 1 from Monterey to Morrow Bay, at the end of the trip my arms, shoulders, back, and head ached from the stress and turns.
By properly configured I mean the GPS is set to 'Fastest Time'. In any case I have seen several cases of bad routing where the GPS was still at the default 'Shortest Distance' setting. If yours is set to Fastest Time please send me the end point waypoints so I can see how my GPS routes that trip. As far as hills, I drive a F450. The engine has never been over 2,000 rpm since standard rear end is 4.30 with the 6.7 diesel. I plugged in your Monterey to Morro Bay trip on google maps and it does look like a nice oceanside trip. Elevation varies between 13 and 932 ft with some steep sections and some twisty bits but maybe I would cut the trip in half based on your comments re how tiring it is. One thing I do is use google maps satellite view to see what the road really looks like. That has saved me from backing up more than once. Thanks for your insight and advice.

sonofcy
01-05-2020, 12:03 PM
My RV travels has been limited to OR, WA, CA. Normally to get from point A to B. The destination being the fun part. So, I mostly use the fast route which is the interstate freeways most of the time.
I agree there is a big beautiful USA that will never be seen on a freeway.
My main point coming from 26 years working State Police and several more with a Sheriffs Dept. in the Portland metro area. Yes, head on crashes are the worst. Many times they have death involved when we are talking about highways. So, I worked both mostly at night and read, learned and was involved in stats about crashes. I no longer have access to current data at my finger tip. But, most deadly crashes involving cross overs have to do with #1 DUII at night, #2 weather. You will might even the odds if you avoid those times. I think its about 4 or 5 to 1 deaths on highways vs freeways at least here. Bottom line freeways are safer to travel on than highways for many reasons. Is that a reason not to travel on them, you decide.
Good points re DUI and night. I don't travel at night unless it is some sort of emergency like fleeing a hurricane. One interesting thing I have noticed is that truck involved crashes seem to cluster at 7am. I have seen a few and several on one trip. I think it is due to truckers driving all night and falling asleep at the wheel. My travel window now is no earlier than 8 am and 9 am where possible for 4 to 6 hours of drive time. Thanks for the insight, I will probably adopt a strategy of selective use of non-interstate. Thanks.

JRTJH
01-05-2020, 12:17 PM
In the past 10 days we've had two "wrong way on the interstate" head on crashes on I-75 in the local area. One resulted in two deaths (both vehicles had only the driver onboard) and the other resulted in multiple serious injuries, but no deaths, at least not yet. That said, I can't remember the last "head on fatality" on the "state side roads" that connect the state east/west. All of the "state highways" around this area are 2 lane roads, most with 65MPH speed limits and frequent "passing lanes".

As for towing, we use the Ford navigation system and a 2 year old Rand McNally road atlas. I prefer not to travel the interstate system when towing the Cougar, but when triple towing (frequently) I do prefer the "space and normal separation between vehicles" afforded by the divided, multi lane system.

Like Marshall, I'm more concerned with the "idiot darting between lanes to get to his exit" than I am the "head on crash potential".

I will say that when I was learning to drive, there was an "experience level" associated with how much time and how much distance was required to pass a vehicle. I've noticed that in the past 15-20 years, most "younger drivers" (at my age that's almost everybody who's driving) has lost that "seat of the pants experience" on how to judge how safe it is to pass a vehicle on a two lane road.

sonofcy
01-05-2020, 12:32 PM
In the past 10 days we've had two "wrong way on the interstate" head on crashes on I-75 in the local area. One resulted in two deaths (both vehicles had only the driver onboard) and the other resulted in multiple serious injuries, but no deaths, at least not yet. That said, I can't remember the last "head on fatality" on the "state side roads" that connect the state east/west. All of the "state highways" around this area are 2 lane roads, most with 65MPH speed limits and frequent "passing lanes".

As for towing, we use the Ford navigation system and a 2 year old Rand McNally road atlas. I prefer not to travel the interstate system when towing the Cougar, but when triple towing (frequently) I do prefer the "space and normal separation between vehicles" afforded by the divided, multi lane system.

Like Marshall, I'm more concerned with the "idiot darting between lanes to get to his exit" than I am the "head on crash potential".

I will say that when I was learning to drive, there was an "experience level" associated with how much time and how much distance was required to pass a vehicle. I've noticed that in the past 15-20 years, most "younger drivers" (at my age that's almost everybody who's driving) has lost that "seat of the pants experience" on how to judge how safe it is to pass a vehicle on a two lane road.
WOW, 2 of them is really weird. I think here in Canada every one we ever have is national news and they are extremely rare. As far as the other interstate dangers with dartigmorons, yes that is a valid concern. I will try to remember that and stay in the leftmost but 1 lane to avoid them.

While I am here, if you visit Canada keep in mind we had some idiots design our roads a while back (they may still) with disappearing right lanes. Do NOT drive a big rig in the rightmost lane, it only leads to an exit most of the time. From what I remember your interstates are safe to remain in the right lane but I prefer a few lanes to the left.

JRTJH
01-05-2020, 12:40 PM
WOW, 2 of them is really weird. I think here in Canada every one we ever have is national news and they are extremely rare. As far as the other interstate dangers with dartigmorons, yes that is a valid concern. I will try to remember that and stay in the leftmost but 1 lane to avoid them.

While I am here, if you visit Canada keep in mind we had some idiots design our roads a while back (they may still) with disappearing right lanes. Do NOT drive a big rig in the rightmost lane, it only leads to an exit most of the time. From what I remember your interstates are safe to remain in the right lane but I prefer a few lanes to the left.

Most of our interstates are pretty clearly marked if there's an "ending lane" Most have a yellow overhead "EXIT ONLY" sign over the lane that ends with ample warning to "merge left". Once the lane is "designated exit only" if you notice, almost always, the white interrupted lane markings change from "narrow interrupted white" to "thick interrupted white" and the last couple of hundred yards, they are "thick solid white"....

If you're paying attention to the big green exit signs and the yellow "EXIT ONLY" signs, it's pretty difficult to get "trapped in an exit lane" ….. But, if you're "fiddling with the TPMS" and "resetting the GPS" and "checking that new rear view camera monitor"..... well...…

sonofcy
01-05-2020, 01:15 PM
Most of our interstates are pretty clearly marked if there's an "ending lane" Most have a yellow overhead "EXIT ONLY" sign over the lane that ends with ample warning to "merge left". Once the lane is "designated exit only" if you notice, almost always, the white interrupted lane markings change from "narrow interrupted white" to "thick interrupted white" and the last couple of hundred yards, they are "thick solid white"....

If you're paying attention to the big green exit signs and the yellow "EXIT ONLY" signs, it's pretty difficult to get "trapped in an exit lane" ….. But, if you're "fiddling with the TPMS" and "resetting the GPS" and "checking that new rear view camera monitor"..... well...…
Yes, you guys do a much better job at that than we do, some/many of our rightmost lanes just disappear. It's a matter of national embarrassment since some European visitors pointed it out to a news crew a few years ago. It looks like they are marking them better in some places, but be careful when visiting up here in otherwise friendly and safe Canada, some will just disappear.

sonofcy
01-05-2020, 01:17 PM

Almost forgot, if doing any of those last things you mention, it's a distracted driving ticket at least up here north of the 49th.

Ken / Claudia
01-05-2020, 01:17 PM
Post #7 brings up a good point. We have found the same type of data here. Monday mornings, with Comm Trucks coming into PDX had more crashes, speed and other moving violations. Sunday night was high for speeding violations. The trooper who presented the data said the reason mostly given was drivers trying to get to their drop off point ASAP monday morning at the end of a long haul IE, driving all night.

ADQ K9
01-05-2020, 01:21 PM
Between Google Earth and the Ford navigation system I have not been steered wrong yet. I have to say it does depend on who is operating the said device, me or the DW.
Alaska does not really have the interstate option. The two lane through most of the state turns into divided highways around larger metro areas like Anchorage and Fairbanks. Most steep grades have a truck lane. There are sections with no shoulder also. We have a law here that you need to pull over if there is a delay of 5 or more vehicles behind you. In addition to impaired drivers there are a lot of distracted drivers here in the summer rubbernecking at the scenery and wildlife.

flybouy
01-05-2020, 01:44 PM

I think Canada has about 27 million drivers all in(cars, commercial vehicle's etc). Come south and you'll encounter that many just In NY and NJ. The US has around 225 million licensed drivers. The numbers are from 2016.

I think the US may have shared some of their highway engineers with Canada!:banghead:

sonofcy
01-05-2020, 02:06 PM
I think Canada has about 27 million drivers all in(cars, commercial vehicle's etc). Come south and you'll encounter that many just In NY and NJ. The US has around 225 million licensed drivers. The numbers are from 2016.

I think the US may have shared some of their highway engineers with Canada!:banghead:
All true, sadly even the sharing road engineers part. We should have about 1/10 as many as you, but I have no idea if that is true, my WAG is that we have fewer per capita but it is just a WAG. My intention is to be off the roads at rush hour, night and weekends, that should drastically improve the odds for me.

CedarCreekWoody
01-05-2020, 02:06 PM

Here in Texas, and I presume many other states, it is illegal to drive in the left lane. It is designated for passing only. It isn't always enforced but I wish it was. Forcing people to use the right lane for passing gets dangerous as they drive into blind spots.

sonofcy
01-05-2020, 02:25 PM
Here in Texas, and I presume many other states, it is illegal to drive in the left lane. It is designated for passing only. It isn't always enforced but I wish it was. Forcing people to use the right lane for passing gets dangerous as they drive into blind spots.
Yep, that's why I said 'leftmost but 1' generally that will be the middle lane unless it's a 2 laner in which case it's the right. If it's a 4 lane road then the 2nd or 3rd lane assuming right most is 1. I avoid 1 and 4. 4 because as you point out both unsafe and illegal, 1 because it might disappear. Of course the 2nd often becomes 1st and now we have to merge one lane left at high speed driving in my case about 30,000 lbs or 15 tons. Yes, we have roads where the lanes go from 6 to 5 back to 6 in a span of about 1/4 mile or less.

travelin texans
01-05-2020, 02:27 PM

When towing, especially in city traffic, I have always & will continue to, legal or not, drive in the left lane until the idiots figure out how to merge/exit the highway.
Buy yourself a Motor Carriers Atlas at a truck stop, in the front all the low clearances are listed by state & the roads highlighted are good for truck traffic so any of those you should be good. We used it for years along with various GPS systems & Google maps on our phones & never once got in a bind driving a CC dually towing a 40' 5th wheel.

CedarCreekWoody
01-05-2020, 02:38 PM
Yep, that's why I said 'leftmost but 1' generally that will be the middle lane unless it's a 2 laner in which case it's the right. If it's a 4 lane road then the 2nd or 3rd lane assuming right most is 1. I avoid 1 and 4. 4 because as you point out both unsafe and illegal, 1 because it might disappear. Of course the 2nd often becomes 1st and now we have to merge one lane left at high speed driving in my case about 30,000 lbs or 15 tons. Yes, we have roads where the lanes go from 6 to 5 back to 6 in a span of about 1/4 mile or less.

I concur, when there are three lanes then I also prefer lane two. This lets me avoid those merging onto, and off of the freeway. It is not unusual on the multilane freeways for the right lane to turn into an exit only lane and lead to some scrambling to move over. I often drive 40-50 miles out of my way to bypass Dallas for this reason and don't get me started on Southern California freeways!

CedarCreekWoody
01-05-2020, 02:43 PM
When towing, especially in city traffic, I have always & will continue to, legal or not, drive in the left lane until the idiots figure out how to merge/exit the highway.

I think it is legal to drive in any and all lanes in the cities, just not on the open roads. Imagine the traffic jams if only the right lane was utilized!

sonofcy
01-05-2020, 03:18 PM
I concur, when there are three lanes then I also prefer lane two. This lets me avoid those merging onto, and off of the freeway. It is not unusual on the multilane freeways for the right lane to turn into an exit only lane and lead to some scrambling to move over. I often drive 40-50 miles out of my way to bypass Dallas for this reason and don't get me started on Southern California freeways!

I live on Vancouver Island and will become a snowbird in the fall of 2023. I will NOT go anywhere near LA, plan is to turn off at Bakersfield and take I40 before turning south again at Needles onto 95. Before that in 2021 we will do a round the US and Canada one year trip. Hope to spend a decent amount of time in Texas basically in November 2021 for a month, so any tips would be appreciated.

CedarCreekWoody
01-05-2020, 03:47 PM
"Hope to spend a decent amount of time in Texas basically in November 2021 for a month, so any tips would be appreciated."

We'll keep the lights on for you! November should be a great time to visit. Weather is usually good that time of year. Do be aware there is a lot difference between north and south Texas so plan carefully.

gearhead
01-05-2020, 04:28 PM
I'll drive in the left lane if the right is all beat up from truck traffic.
Y'all be careful when you come down here. We have a lot of roads with 75MPH speed limits, not just interstates but 2 lane state roads as well.

sonofcy
01-05-2020, 05:02 PM
"Hope to spend a decent amount of time in Texas basically in November 2021 for a month, so any tips would be appreciated."

We'll keep the lights on for you! November should be a great time to visit. Weather is usually good that time of year. Do be aware there is a lot difference between north and south Texas so plan carefully.

Uh oh, which ones are the white hats?

Justvisiting2day
01-05-2020, 06:08 PM
I think it is legal to drive in any and all lanes in the cities, just not on the open roads. Imagine the traffic jams if only the right lane was utilized!

UNTIL ya get in California. :banghead:
Then it is a right hand lane on all free ways unless the road is a 2 lane, The you'd best get in the right lane unless you are passing ONLY. :hide:
I stopped driving in CAL. 2 years ago, their roads and highways are crap, and fuel costs more. :facepalm:

Love TX.
Chuck

CedarCreekWoody
01-05-2020, 06:14 PM
In California the motorcycles driving in between the lanes of traffic blow my mind (and nerves!)

linux3
01-05-2020, 08:16 PM
U.S. routes like US 30 and US 5 and such are truck routes and many are divided and clearance is fine.
We much prefer US routes but that's just us.

In NY state the law is "slower traffic keep right" and "keep right except to pass". However, I do wish it was enforced more.

rhagfo
01-05-2020, 10:19 PM
While towing on interstates is easier, straighter, gentler hills easy to pass, I still like driving on secondary highways, I have the TV with the necessary power to keep up with traffic.

Roscommon48
01-06-2020, 05:44 AM
Don't over think your travels. Using 3 or more tools to figure out what route? Too much.

Driving always has risks.

Do both ways in driving, the interstate and the 'back roads' ....enjoy life.

kksfish
01-06-2020, 06:22 AM
I'll drive in the left lane if the right is all beat up from truck traffic.
Y'all be careful when you come down here. We have a lot of roads with 75MPH speed limits, not just interstates but 2 lane state roads as well.

Couldn’t agree more! Here in the south I95 Georgia,Carolinas, Florida the right lane will destroy your trailer and your kidneys when driving the truck w/o trailer.
I have gotten a lot of one finger waves while towing in the left lane even though I relax my normal 70 MPH limit and increase my speed based on conditions....

gearhead
01-06-2020, 01:11 PM
Yeah I don't care either. It's easy enough to pass either side. Cops don't like it...ehh..start writing that ticket.

sourdough
01-06-2020, 04:46 PM
Well, I've never driven in a metro area that only had 2 lanes in one direction that had multiple access roads come into it that I recall. In the metro areas I avoid the right lane simply due to all the congestion from ins and outs of folks and their complete ignorance of how to merge or exit - I try to stay at least one lane over but will not pull my trailer in the "fast", right lane. When not towing that's where I am and know how I feel about folks just sitting there congesting everything when there are 2-4 other lanes.

Sonofcy - TX is a huge state with a lot of stuff to see. 1 month won't give you much time. Study things and see if you want coastal areas, central TX (rolling hills) area or what. Some folks want to "experience" far S TX. Know what you are doing if you choose that. A couple from W VA camped beside us for a month and left for Brownsville, TX. Wanted to "look around" and go across the border. I warned them. S TX is no longer a "fun" place to go and venture into Mexico - another family shot up today. There are places that are OK and fairly safe but the cartels are in another turf battle and most anything can get caught up in it.

Coastal areas are nice in the Padre Island, Galveston, Corpus areas. I love central TX particularly. I avoid Austin; it has changed drastically in the last 30 years becoming more like a TX version of San Francisco. Fredericksburg, New Braunfels, Marble Falls....those are worth visiting and checking out, and a lot of country. German sausage, BBQ brisket....it don't get no better!

As far as white hats? All true, bona fide Texans wear them but we have had lots of "immigrants" from all over come in and sort of distort what that used to mean....but you'll know a true Texan when you meet them; they'll give you the shirt off their back. Come on down.

gearhead
01-07-2020, 06:21 AM
I think the reference to the difference in north Texas and south Texas was regarding geography and weather and not the difference in people, I hope.
I'll second the danger of the border and going across to Mexico. This is a whole different world than crossing from Canada to the US. It's been 4 or 5 years since I spent time in Laredo but living on the border has quite a bit of "edge" to it. Crossing into Mexico has quite a bit of dumb to it. In my opinion. Living on the edge has a bit of a constant heightened awareness to it though.

wiredgeorge
01-07-2020, 06:43 AM

Not to be argumentative but the Hill Country the left lane (passing) lane is for senior citizens and stubborn folk wanting to go 45 mph on a divided highway and city folk who want to go 95 mph. Honest folk try their best to stay far far away from divided highways. :whistling: On a two lane, it is considered customary to pull out in front of an on coming vehicle as long as you are pretty sure they won't hit you and go 35 mph and then pull over to the shoulder to let the other party pass and both parties will typically wave at each other.

wiredgeorge
01-07-2020, 06:55 AM
I think the reference to the difference in north Texas and south Texas was regarding geography and weather and not the difference in people, I hope.
I'll second the danger of the border and going across to Mexico. This is a whole different world than crossing from Canada to the US. It's been 4 or 5 years since I spent time in Laredo but living on the border has quite a bit of "edge" to it. Crossing into Mexico has quite a bit of dumb to it. In my opinion. Living on the edge has a bit of a constant heightened awareness to it though.

My sister lives in Tennessee and came here with hubby last year with her camper in tow and stayed in a local camp ground. She had heard of cheap Mexican dentists (compared to US) and went over the border at Del Rio to Ciudad Acuna and it took her through a bunch of vagrants massed at the border crossing and hours to get back over the border. She was uncomfortable about being there due to all the transient folks concentrated in the area. Personal security is a big concern these days. You also have to have a passport and go through a bunch of ICE checkpoints on Hwy 90 here in the US which hold up traffic. There are a number of different little Mexican towns in the valley which cater to US citizens needing dental work that would have been a better choice. My sister did eventually get her new dentures which didn't fit and had to be tossed.

CedarCreekWoody
01-07-2020, 07:00 AM

Yes, the north/south reference was regarding weather. While the border area can be dangerous the vast majority of the state is safe and filled with great people!

flybouy
01-07-2020, 07:09 AM
George much the same ion the east coast but they use an "abbreviated" wave. They only use one finger, the other four are held down with the thumb. Now being Scots Irish I know the history of this gesture so I guess I'm stunned at the number of Irish archers out here (look it up).:ermm:

I've found over here on the east side folks learn at an early age not to follow any vehicle larger than theirs, i.e. they MUST past you no matter the speed, then immediatly after cutting you off they quickly slow down to their previous speed (often close to 1/2 the posted).

Northofu1
01-07-2020, 07:26 AM
You drive at 55 or 60 middle lane, they will pass you. Finger, no finger, smile at the dashcam. Canadian insurance is a wonderful thing. ��

CWtheMan
01-07-2020, 07:52 AM
For nearly five years we were, sort of, nomadic RV travelers. During that time about 75% of our travels was on US, state or county roads and highways. We had no time constraints so we just pointed it down the highway and went. Surprisingly it was not hard to find places to stay and we're spoiled FHU users.

Probably the longest continuous highway trip was on US2. The most scenic would be a tossup but CA46 in the CA wine country is beautiful. The most boring could be US95 from Carson City to Las Vegas. You have to be careful in central Canada because of all that oil reserve country. There is almost always some highway construction areas. One time we took CDN/83 back into the USA and the last 10-15 miles into ND was all rutted dirt. We got a site at a military CG in Minot where we could wash the trailer.

The best adventure in nomadic traveling is the unexpected.

cliff
01-12-2020, 09:18 AM
About wrong way drivers: Phoenix has its major share of them andthey are usually attributed to DUI's. However, driving with the fiver in and around AZ we have almost been a wrong way driver because the ramps are not well marked. Yes, I was stone cold sober. The biggest thing we noticed was in California where the have the exit ramps well signed all around. They have signs and arrows at car eye level pointing the direction of the ramp, along with truck eye level signs doing the same. If you go into those ramps you're way too far gone. AZis now playing with electronics to detect wrong way driving. Too late. Maybe better signage at exit ramps might be a better and cheaper route to try first.

FlyboyD8
01-12-2020, 09:21 AM
LOL, Back roads mean something different to many people! I have never lived where cable tv was available so I would suggest you stay off the "back roads" with your RV. Now I really enjoy travailing on secondary roads verses the Interstates. I generally get far better milage and arrive nearly as fast as Interstates.

I currently tow a 08 31 RLDS with my, 1990 Dodge D350 w/ the great 12 valve.

Central NY

Ken

rburckhart
01-12-2020, 09:35 AM
Took the “scenic route” once from AZ to OH; wouldn’t do it again! Too many small towns and too few fueling stations.

CWtheMan
01-12-2020, 10:40 AM
When traveling in the vast expanses found in the western USA states the highway scenery is very similar. Traveling the interstate highways allows you to just keep on going until some situation like the need of fuel forces you to pull off the highway. The US highway system is going to take you thru towns and cities where the continuous traveling monotony is interrupted.

This first picture was taken traveling west on I80 in WY heading for UT. On this highway the truckers catch you so fast you’re surprised when they go whizzing by and their wake rocks your whole rig…. http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1159&pictureid=6776

In this next picture we are heading south from Fallon, NV to Las Vegas on US-95. Not much difference in the view except the traffic is sparse with hardly any 18 wheelers.... http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1159&pictureid=6775

Ragermack
01-12-2020, 03:07 PM
When the kids were little we traveled the west and camped in an Econoline van with top carriers or occasionally my in-laws 26' Winnebago brave. Since the kids moved on My wife and I have usually go in an open top jeep Wrangler with a couple of cargo carriers attached. We have always stayed on the back roads as much as possible. Well the tent camping just lost its appeal over the years so we have just purchased a 2017 Cougar 28RKS Our Tow vehicle is a 2018 crew cab long box Bighorn Dodge diesel. We have been making local trips in the last couple of months and will begin longer and longer excursions in the spring. My inclination is to continue sticking to the back roads as much as we can, but I do have concerns with not only fuel location but with the ability to get into some of the stations in small towns With a tall trailer and almost 50' total length. There are apps to help find fuel but not awning heights etc. I'm just curious if anyone has had to drop a trailer mid travel day to get fuel?

sourdough
01-12-2020, 04:09 PM
When the kids were little we traveled the west and camped in an Econoline van with top carriers or occasionally my in-laws 26' Winnebago brave. Since the kids moved on My wife and I have usually go in an open top jeep Wrangler with a couple of cargo carriers attached. We have always stayed on the back roads as much as possible. Well the tent camping just lost its appeal over the years so we have just purchased a 2017 Cougar 28RKS Our Tow vehicle is a 2018 crew cab long box Bighorn Dodge diesel. We have been making local trips in the last couple of months and will begin longer and longer excursions in the spring. My inclination is to continue sticking to the back roads as much as we can, but I do have concerns with not only fuel location but with the ability to get into some of the stations in small towns With a tall trailer and almost 50' total length. There are apps to help find fuel but not awning heights etc. I'm just curious if anyone has had to drop a trailer mid travel day to get fuel?

Never dropped a trailer per se to have to get fuel. I do however wait until I land at my camp location then detach to make my final fill up of the day.

Awning heights have not prove a problem for us....yet, but I pull a bumper pull and it maxes out at about 11'6". Most modern stations have taller canopies. I did drive around a building at a convenience store to get to an accessible pump that would let me leave focusing on the awning. I completely lost track that I was driving under the eave of the building at the corner. Got out, looked back and but for the grace of God I would have taken of both ACs but I did not get that far over - I just completely ignored the eave hanging over us while looking at the pumps, canopy and how I was going to get out. To me the key is to start looking early. In rural far flung areas at 1/2 tank I will take the next station I can get in - lots of them you can't. In metro areas you don't have to be so picky. We usually want a break, potty, bottle of water or something by then anyway. I will not exit the freeway if there is only one station because it probably won't work. I like at least 2 lanes both directions in case I have to turn around. I start looking well before I get to the station looking for ability to exit without backing, steep entrances etc.

To us backroads are nice because you can see some varied scenery and lots of little "things" that are indicative of the area whether it be roadside sweet potato sellers, boiled peanuts, Indians selling their wares...you won't see that on an interstate. We try to mix and match the 2; I like the time I can make on an interstate if I have a fixed destination I need to be at for a fixed purpose.

skmct
01-12-2020, 06:40 PM
Install a auxiliary tank in bed you can go all day and fuel up after unhooking

rlh1957
01-12-2020, 08:02 PM
Whichever is your preferred road type... always know the alternatives and alternates for detour that may occur at anytime.

GPS and club trip planning services are great, but nothing beats a good detailed road map or atlas. Also go online and zoom in on the roads on map view and satellite view, to get an idea how the road looks close up.
Then keep up with up to date postings and broadcasts if road conditions. We always plan each day that we may have to change routes ir even delay in an area before proceeding.

Know your limit and drive below that. Stay safe and enjoy the trip whatever it may bring.

SummitPond
01-13-2020, 05:52 AM
Whichever is your preferred road type... always know the alternatives and alternates for detour that may occur at anytime.

GPS and club trip planning services are great, but nothing beats a good detailed road map or atlas. Also go online and zoom in on the roads on map view and satellite view, to get an idea how the road looks close up.
Then keep up with up to date postings and broadcasts if road conditions. We always plan each day that we may have to change routes ir even delay in an area before proceeding.

Know your limit and drive below that. Stay safe and enjoy the trip whatever it may bring.

I know we overdo it - the GS router (I wish they'd hurry up and figure out what they are going to replace the now discontinued version with; the temporary version leaves a lot to be desired); the on-line AAA router (I sure do miss the old TripTiks with their detailed area maps inside the fold); either Bing or Google maps; GPS and of course as stated above, good maps (state maps obtained at visitor centers and the trucker's atlas). I like to map out a few routes (including side roads) and know my options so if they are needed I won't (typically) be surprised.

With all the technology available today, it makes one wonder how we ever managed to find our way or make reservations in the olden days.

bobnelms
01-13-2020, 05:58 AM
I'm for sticking to the interstates. A few reasons: 1) I've gotten myself into too many jambs on back roads. Hairpin turns, low bridges, bridges with low weight limits. 2) In case of a breakdown, in general I'd think it's much easier to get help when on an interstate than on a back road. 3) Safety -- I've found myself in some seedy looking places on back road. 4) BUMPY ROADS. This one's a bit of a "wash," since some of the interstates are TERRIBLY bumpy -- but in general back roads are worse.

rhagfo
01-13-2020, 06:44 AM
I'm for sticking to the interstates. A few reasons: 1) I've gotten myself into too many jambs on back roads. Hairpin turns, low bridges, bridges with low weight limits. 2) In case of a breakdown, in general I'd think it's much easier to get help when on an interstate than on a back road. 3) Safety -- I've found myself in some seedy looking places on back road. 4) BUMPY ROADS. This one's a bit of a "wash," since some of the interstates are TERRIBLY bumpy -- but in general back roads are worse.

I think there is a difference between "Back Roads" and "Secondary Hwys". I believe this was mentioned before.
I would rather travel on secondary roads in bad weather than interstates as the crazy's that think their fancy all wheel drive car with all the gizmos will allow them to drive 70 on snow or ice covered roads. I don't see 30 to 50 car pile ups on secondary roads.

linux3
01-13-2020, 03:37 PM
Took the “scenic route” once from AZ to OH; wouldn’t do it again! Too many small towns and too few fueling stations.
Some of us think this is a feature.
Small towns in the mid west are the real America and I've never had problems with fuel.

Duramike
01-15-2020, 02:18 PM
Has anyone tried the RV Life GPS? We are planning a February trip to Texas. Thought I would give that one a try unless someone screams “do not use that one”! :eek:

Thanks,
Mike

jbeliera
09-07-2020, 06:59 AM
Hello as to your question choice of roads. You will, I am sure, find many opinions on this topic because there are many variables to consider when choosing a route(s) for your trip. I won't get into the weeds on this one because I will mostly talk about how well you have done your trip planning homework.

I am a retired long haul trucker and now a proud owner of a 30 foot Laredo 5er. I will give you some advice that may not be on the minds of most campers when it comes to secondary roads verses interstates.

There are, I am sure, many places you can go to get information for road travel hazards and or conditions. I have found over the years two tools I have found invaluable in my over the road experiences. These are only two among others of some of the publications that have saved my bacon too many times to count. With the internet now there are so many more like aps for your phone or aps for your tablet.. It has been my experience that a good old fashion book or paper map are still good hard copies to have with you in a pinch in a world of lost signals or malfunctioning electronics.

I had these two publications with me all the time as a backup.....

The first one is a current copy of The Motor Carriers' Road Atlas.. This will give you all the information that big rig drivers use to stay out of trouble state by state road by road. Pulling a trailer camper or motor home of any size, will put you in a small version of what truckers have to contend with every day when it comes to traveling with over size vehicles bigger than your grandmother's Buick.

The second publication is one that is good for any one pulling a camper trailer or motor home also. The Mountain Directory is a four book series. It covers the four major sections of the country that will give you a heads up on how dangerous a mountain pass that you may not even know about may be on your route which you are planning to travel. It will describe what to look for with your heavy, long rig Yes some of our camping trailers can get you into trouble like some of our modern day toy hauler campers. These mountain publications will give you locations descriptions of thousands of mountain passes and steep grades that you should have some first hand knowledge about before you encounter them unbeknownst to you and save you from getting in over your head.

It has been my experience your trip will only be as good as your preparations or pre-planning is. My advise to you is try to eliminate as many of the unknowns in your road trip that may cause your happy camper outing to become a nightmare. Do your home work and your family will thank you for a safe and pleasant journey. It will depend on your trip planning and your equipment among other things as to how safe your route is. Besides isn't getting there and back safely your number one priority?

Happy Trails To You

flybouy
09-08-2020, 06:11 AM
We camped in PA over the LD weekend, rural roads up and back. Both days at least 5 or 6 people turning left from apposing direction cut me off when the light turned green. I don't mind so much if they "beat me out" immediately after the light turns green. But noooo, they waited 'till I was almost in the middle of the intersection and gaining speed! I had to hit the breaks and the train horns simultaneously. I think a couple of them had some extra laundry to do when they got home.

Then yesterday in PA driving down a 55 m.p.h. zone 2 idiots. Going down hill, a "T" intersection to the right. An opposing Super Duty pulling a low boy with a tractor cuts me off. I was able to brake enough for that but from the right 3 girls in an old Toyota pulls out from my right. Thankfully, no one was behind the first guy in the opposing lane or there would have been a bunch of people in the hospital or morgue today. The train horns and the WDH sway bars both got a work out on that one.

wiredgeorge
09-08-2020, 06:37 AM
I like to take secondary roads whenever possible. I am a motorcyclist of almost 50 years and long ago developed a sense of potential danger from other drivers or road situations. I also was employed in a profession where operational awareness was a necessity if you wanted to stay alive and seldom have close calls on the road. Vultures are about the worst outside the cities in Texas as those stupid things are loathe to leave the buffet table and when you honk before getting to them, they often take their time to stop eating and fly away at a real leisurely pace. Hitting one would ruin your day in a truck and even more so on a motorcycle.

flybouy
09-08-2020, 07:09 AM
I like to take secondary roads whenever possible. I am a motorcyclist of almost 50 years and long ago developed a sense of potential danger from other drivers or road situations. I also was employed in a profession where operational awareness was a necessity if you wanted to stay alive and seldom have close calls on the road. Vultures are about the worst outside the cities in Texas as those stupid things are loathe to leave the buffet table and when you honk before getting to them, they often take their time to stop eating and fly away at a real leisurely pace. Hitting one would ruin your day in a truck and even more so on a motorcycle.

It's not a matter of "situational awareness" but rather a greater amount of traffic and inconsiderate drivers that are the dangers here. There's no amount of "situational awareness" that can prevent an idiot from crossing over the highway in front of you without a turn signal.

I can "read" drivers fairly well from observing their driving behaviour but I don't have ESP to tell when someone will realize that they need to turn and apparently think the world ends and they will fall off the edge of it if they go straight.

JRTJH
09-08-2020, 07:14 AM
Some of us think this is a feature.
Small towns in the mid west are the real America and I've never had problems with fuel.

^^^^ THIS !!!

If the objective of the trip is the destination (and the travel is just a nuisance between leaving home and getting to the destination) then the interstate system is the fastest means to get to the destination...

On the other hand, if the trip "starts when you leave home and ends when you get back to the driveway", then traveling secondary roads is the "scenic way to see much more of America"... We prefer to travel the "more leisurely pace" provided by secondary roads, the quaint towns, often overlooked sites and curiosities found in "off the expressway travel"....

Besides, how else can you find "the world's best pork cutlet sandwich" or "that quilt shop with hand made quilts next to the lemonade stand"...

I often wonder how many people "rush down the interstate with blinders on, oblivious of what they're passing up" in their quest to "get to Route 66 in Arizona" so they can "see a glimpse of "rural America" ...

wiredgeorge
09-08-2020, 08:02 AM
It's not a matter of "situational awareness" but rather a greater amount of traffic and inconsiderate drivers that are the dangers here. There's no amount of "situational awareness" that can prevent an idiot from crossing over the highway in front of you without a turn signal.

I can "read" drivers fairly well from observing their driving behaviour but I don't have ESP to tell when someone will realize that they need to turn and apparently think the world ends and they will fall off the edge of it if they go straight.

After years of riding, I can almost ESP sense the idiot who is preparing to make a left turn in front of you and do agree that traffic density is a major consideration and once in the city extra awareness needs to be taken as city people tend to have no patience for either motorcycles of trucks pulling heavy trailers. They tend to cut you off and tail gate. I believe there will be a special place for these folks in the afterlife!

KCSA75
09-12-2020, 10:25 AM
^^^^ THIS !!!

If the objective of the trip is the destination (and the travel is just a nuisance between leaving home and getting to the destination) then the interstate system is the fastest means to get to the destination...

On the other hand, if the trip "starts when you leave home and ends when you get back to the driveway", then traveling secondary roads is the "scenic way to see much more of America"... We prefer to travel the "more leisurely pace" provided by secondary roads, the quaint towns, often overlooked sites and curiosities found in "off the expressway travel"....

Besides, how else can you find "the world's best pork cutlet sandwich" or "that quilt shop with hand made quilts next to the lemonade stand"...

I often wonder how many people "rush down the interstate with blinders on, oblivious of what they're passing up" in their quest to "get to Route 66 in Arizona" so they can "see a glimpse of "rural America" ...

Absolutely! I'm reminded of a scene in the animated movie Cars, where Sally is telling McQueen about the old days before the Interstate system.

Sally : Forty years ago, that interstate down there didn't exist.

Lightning McQueen : Really?

Sally : Yeah. Back then, cars came across the country a whole different way.

Lightning McQueen : How do you mean?

Sally : Well, the road didn't cut through the land like that interstate. It moved with the land, it rose, it fell, it curved. Cars didn't drive on it to make great time. They drove on it to have a great time.

CWtheMan
09-12-2020, 11:15 AM
After a visit at the Theodore Roosevelt NP we decided to take the scenic route US-85 south to I-90. It’s a VG highway with little traffic on weekdays. It was very easy to pull-off at Bowman for lunch.

hornet28
09-13-2020, 07:18 AM
In the early 90's I took 85 south from 94 to 90. I ate lunch in Bowman at the restaurant just west of the jog in the road. Got back in the truck and turned right instead of left out of the lot and headed out. Didn't dawn on me I was wrong until I crossed The Little Missouri so I had to turn around and backtrack to Bowman.

Jim2366
09-13-2020, 07:28 PM
We drove today from Sam A Baker State Park in Missouri to Echo Bluff State Park. We drove on Hwy 34 which was through the Ozark Mountains, two lane, winding through the beautiful hills full of Oaks and Pines. We then had a stretch through 4 lane then Hwy 19 that was another two lane through more Ozark Hills. We are staying at Missouri's newest State Park, Echo Bluff. Its awesome - tomorrow a road trip to Peck Ranch to see the Elk.

Where I live I have 14 miles of two lane country roads to the nearest town with a grocery store so I get a lot of practice. Just a warning when the road is wet slow down from 55 to 40.

Link on youtube of hwy 34 https://youtu.be/7QnIi8Wnc8Q

notanlines
09-14-2020, 03:08 AM
Jim, I'm surprised we didn't see you yesterday. We triple-towed from Binder RV Park in Jeff City cross-country to Hinton RV Park in Sikeston, MO yesterday. Yes, we had catfish and chicken livers at Lambert's last night but it was quite disappointing, certainly not up to their usual standards. But some of Saturday was spent working at a banana split at Central Dairy in Jeff City. And that did NOT disappoint! Back home to Tennessee tomorrow for minor repairs and RV cleaning.:(