PDA

View Full Version : Oven wont light anymore

Durga
01-02-2020, 04:51 PM
The pilot light in oven wont stay on or ignite down the flame line. So essentially it wont light at all. Is this the ingitor thats gone bad? Or something else? There is zero flame there and it stays lit for a seco d wben k light it - but goes out as soon as i ask it to light oven.*

The top burners work fine.

flybouy
01-02-2020, 05:46 PM
Has it ever worked before? How are you lighting the pilot light (step by step)?

Logan X
01-02-2020, 08:07 PM
It sounds like a bad thermocouple to me. The thermocouple keeps the gas flowing when it is hot from the pilot light. That is why you have to manually keep the gas on for a little while when you first light the pilot, to warm up the thermocouple. When the thermocouple fails, it fails so it won’t let gas through the line. This is for the obvious safety reasons.

sourdough
01-02-2020, 08:13 PM
It sounds like a bad thermocouple to me. The thermocouple keeps the gas flowing when it is hot from the pilot light. That is why you have to manually keep the gas on for a little while when you first light the pilot, to warm up the thermocouple. When the thermocouple fails, it fails so it won’t let gas through the line. This is for the obvious safety reasons.

^^^^Sounds like the first thing I would check.

Durga
01-03-2020, 04:08 PM
So then should i purchase a thermocouple online and try a youtube the video for the installation?

The oven has worked in past just fine yes.

How i was working oven before :
I press the pilot button in - and hold, then crouch down to light pilot with lighter.
Pilot ignites, then the flame runs down the oven.

flybouy
01-03-2020, 05:17 PM
So then should i purchase a thermocouple online and try a youtube the video for the installation?

The oven has worked in past just fine yes.

How i was working oven before :
I press the pilot button in - and hold, then crouch down to light pilot with lighter.
Pilot ignites, then the flame runs down the oven.

If you're holding the pilot button in for a sufficient time (should take less than 30 sec.) then sounds like the thermocouple to me. You could try cleaning it with a small brass wire brush or stiff cheap toothbrush first. I've seen them get a carbon build up on them that act as an insulator.

Logan X
01-03-2020, 08:54 PM
If you want to try to replace the thermocouple, it’s pretty easy to do. Search online using the oven model number to buy the new one. YouTube videos are a great resource. It’s pretty straight forward, usually just one or two nuts to remove and replace.