PDA

View Full Version : 30amp through 50amp surge protector

maineman
01-02-2020, 03:01 PM
New rig has 50amp service. I'm wondering if I use a 30 amp adapter from the electric standard ( a lot of CG only have 30 amp service ) to the 50amp cord. Will a 50amp surge Protector work in this configuration?

flybouy
01-02-2020, 03:36 PM
Yes it will but, if you haven't purchased it yet I'd highly recommend getting an EMS instead.

GHen
01-02-2020, 05:15 PM
Agreed, a surge protector only protects against surges. An EMS, (electrical management system) cost more money but protects you against more common problems like reverse polarity, low voltage, high voltage, missing ground wires, mis mired pedestals and a bunch more stuff.
Other campers and camping staff that are not properly trained mess around with the electrical pedestals and then cause you problems when you plug in.
My system even notified me of an outlet at my home that was miss wired for 20 years.
Worse case scenario of bad campground wiring or a storm could be you need to replace every electrical appliance in your RV. An EMS is cheap protection.

GHen
01-02-2020, 05:17 PM
Sorry, I ignored your actual question. I’m not sure if a 50 amp will protect you on a 30 amp service.

Logan X
01-02-2020, 05:58 PM
Yes, a 50 amp surge protector will protect you if you are hooked up to 30 amp service. As it was stated above, an EMS system is much better.

My EMS is from Progressive Industries and I have been happy with it

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-EMSHW50C-Surge-Protector/dp/B007O6INSE