PDA

View Full Version : Gps

Harrishome2005
12-28-2019, 05:04 PM
I am planning a long trip for 2020 and I would like to purchase a GPS before I go. I have been caught in some awkward situation because I did not have one.
Can anyone recommend a good GPS. I will be pulling a 5th wheel.

Thank you.
John

flybouy
12-28-2019, 05:19 PM
I use a garmin rv 770 lmt-s rv GPS and am very happy with it. I'd suggest doing a search on the forum, there have been many posts on GPS.

Badbart56
12-28-2019, 06:06 PM
I like Garmin also. I just got a DEZL 780 LMT-S and so far so good. I'm commercial and the 780 allows all traffic routing. I also have a Rand McNally Overdryve 8, but it's not as user friendly as the Garmin. It has more functions than the Garmin, but that's not always a good thing.

Weekender 1
12-29-2019, 06:05 AM
Most people today have smart phones.
Smart phones have plenty of GPS apps available that work just as well as a independent GPS unit, so you don't need to pay for a separate unit.
I hate smart phones and a few times over the last few years we have run into road closures etc and the wife pulls hers out and within a few minutes, problem fixed!!!

flybouy
12-29-2019, 08:46 AM
Smart phones require cell service and data minutes. The Garmin I have has integrated traffic but can connect to the cell phone via Bluetooth. When connected, it will reflect a more accurate traffic data as well as weather.

I don't spend money frivolously but I'd much rather have the purpose built tool to do the job. It's all about preferences and there are many choices.

Not aimed at anyone in this thread but it never ceases to amaze me how some folks will tow a rig with a combined cost well over 6 figures and not want to spend a comparatively small amount of money.

Weekender 1
12-29-2019, 11:38 AM
Doesn't the Garmin require frequent updates to be more accurate?
That would require and internet connection and possibly more!
And then you added the comment about pairing it to your cell phone for!!!

I gave my old GPS to the garbage can and some other single use gadgets because of newer technology that does more for less!

Aim was taken!!!

cliff
12-29-2019, 12:53 PM
Go with the Garmin RV 785 traffic. It's $449. Dash cam with lane departure and too close, couples to phone and phone's contacts, great routing (not up blind alleys and bad roads), installed browser so it's a tablet. Can't say anything bad.

Cire8002
12-29-2019, 01:46 PM
I use the TomTom Trucker 600 simply because I used to drive a big truck. You can set the size, weight, and height of both vehicles and it will keep you finding low bridges. It also connects to your phone and gives you traffic updates with quicker route options on the go. Price is about $240ish at most Flying J, Pilot truck stops.

flybouy
12-29-2019, 02:14 PM
Doesn't the Garmin require frequent updates to be more accurate?
That would require and internet connection and possibly more!
And then you added the comment about pairing it to your cell phone for!!!

I gave my old GPS to the garbage can and some other single use gadgets because of newer technology that does more for less!

Aim was taken!!!

As I stated it's a personal preference. What's the issue with an internet update about every 3 or 4 month's VS cell service every time, all the the time you use a phone? Requires "possibly more"? What's that? Not any GPS I've ever owned. Pairing the Gps to the cell phone for weather etc. Not necessary to use the GPS just added features.

A smart phone does do more I agree but if you can purchase a new one for the cost of a GPS congratulations.

Throwing your "old gadgets away" is your prerogative. I'm certainly not using my first GPS, cell phone, television, radio, etc. My opinion is that my GPS does a better job than my phone, you have a different opinion. You've stated that you hate smart phones and rely on your wife to "pull her phone out" to get you around traffic. Well with my GPS I don't have to do that.

I didn't say the OP '"should buy a GPS, nor did I tell him not to as you did. His question wasn't should I but rather a recommendation on which one. From that it's seems logical to me that he's made up his mind to go with a GPS.

As I stated in y last post I wasn't "taking aim" at anyone but if choose to walk into the sights that's up to you.

Steve's 70-5
12-29-2019, 02:35 PM
I have a Garmin RV 770, love it. You can enter your vehicle weight and height measurements and it is suppose to keep you off roads not suited for you.

The best thing I like is when driving and going though interchanges on the interstate, it will tell you which lanes to be in. Just say you are on a exit ramp and there are 3 lanes, it will tell you to be in the 2 left lanes, right lanes or what ever. This is one thing I love about the GPS. Not worrying about making last minute lane changes towing.

Not much on the phone for GPS thing. Phone has small screen and if a phone call comes in, you have to make a choice.

It was money well spent buying the Garmin GPS

Fishsizzle
01-03-2020, 10:44 AM
The Garmin units are great. We used one a few years ago getting to mouseland in CA. The unit told us which lane to be in way ahead of time. It made pulling the trailer in 5+ lanes of traffic much easier.

flybouy
01-03-2020, 02:50 PM
I also like the verbal directions. It will say not only what lane to be in but on rural roads it will say something like "turn left just before the Burger King". You can download the manual at https://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/manuals.htm?partNo=010-01768-00 . No login or info from you required to download.

NH_Bulldog
01-03-2020, 03:37 PM
We have always used a Garmin unit with traffic and lifetime map updates. It was about $240 and has gotten a ton of use. Our yearly trips often take us into or near Canada so we avoid international roaming and data charges. For work, I just use the Waze app on my business smartphone and it has been great. We just upgraded our in-dash touchscreen entertainment system in the truck (Ford Sync) to include factory navigation that works with SiriusXM Traffic so time will tell if it is any better.

CampingRooster
01-09-2020, 08:16 AM
I use the Garmin DezlCam. Similar to Garmin's RV model, but much more including a built in dash cam; evidence for those people who are constantly trying to cut in front of us.:nonono: It is fully programmable for your rig's dimensions, nice large detailed directions on the screen and simple directions like " turn left after the Chevron". The camera system is fully expandable by just adding their Bluetooth cameras.

TK1
01-09-2020, 08:27 AM
I am planning a long trip for 2020 and I would like to purchase a GPS before I go. I have been caught in some awkward situation because I did not have one.

Thank you.
John

Garmin has always been the"Gold Standard" in GPS units and I would definitely recommend their RV specific units. Unfortunately when I bought our current GPS I cheaped out and bought a Magellan from CW, big mistake! The first unit failed right out of the box and it took about two weeks and several emails and phone calls with customer support to get a replacement. Unfortunately the replacement isn't much better it gets lost or loses the satellite signal frequently. I saved a few bucks, but definitely not worth it!

sonofcy
01-09-2020, 08:27 AM

Thank you.
John

Get a RV specific GPS and MAKE SURE it is in FASTEST TIME mode, NOT shortest distance. Most if not all of the folks who make the news with gps routing issues have it setup wrong.
I have had about 7 GPS units in my life so far plus several phone based units and have never had a routing that wasn't either correct or obviously wrong and fixable with a waypoint insertion. All the in car units have been Garmin. Get the best model, get the advanced traffic and red light features etc, If you are going to spending your life on the road your life depends on the quality of your tools. Tiny cost compared to truck and RV.

goodellj
01-09-2020, 08:40 AM
I have a Rand McNally RVND 7730LM and would not buy another one. It works, BUT
-The 'lifetime maps' have not been updated for several years
-Sometimes it will give me a really puzzling route to a destination. I have had Garmin's in my cars, and I wouldn't say this has never happened with a Garmin, but it happens a lot with Rand.
-Some of the routes are real WTF head-scratchers! Different routes going out and returning. Looping 10 miles out out your way to get there.
My next big purchase is going to be a new RV GPS, and it won't be a Rand. I am thinking about a Garmin with the capability of adding a backup camera, but haven't done much research yet.

Leatherman
01-09-2020, 08:58 AM
Has anyone used the OHREX brand of GPS unit? Its only $59 on Amazon and has some decent reviews. I really did not want to spend North of $250 for a GPS unit. I know it is inexpensive and it usually relates to the features/programming, etc. I figured it was worth a try at that price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W84QD37/ref=as_li_ss_tl?SubscriptionId=AKIAJO7E5OLQ67NVPFZ A&ascsubtag=628298861-2-938798959.1578588373&tag=shopperz_origin3-20&th=1#customerReviews

Ccrew
01-09-2020, 09:00 AM
Most people today have smart phones.
Smart phones have plenty of GPS apps available that work just as well as a independent GPS unit, so you don't need to pay for a separate unit.
I hate smart phones and a few times over the last few years we have run into road closures etc and the wife pulls hers out and within a few minutes, problem fixed!!!

Alls good until you have no cell service :-P

I have the Garmin RV785 personally, which is the RV780 with the addition of a dash cam.

flybouy
01-09-2020, 09:16 AM
Has anyone used the OHREX brand of GPS unit? Its only $59 on Amazon and has some decent reviews. I really did not want to spend North of $250 for a GPS unit. I know it is inexpensive and it usually relates to the features/programming, etc. I figured it was worth a try at that price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W84QD37/ref=as_li_ss_tl?SubscriptionId=AKIAJO7E5OLQ67NVPFZ A&ascsubtag=628298861-2-938798959.1578588373&tag=shopperz_origin3-20&th=1#customerReviews

When you read the "product description" it reads like English was not the first language of the writer.

It's been my experience that you get what you pay for and if it's to good to be true then it probably isn't.

Think about it this way, if it really was comparable to a $250 unit then why charge only $59? Seems logical to me that if it's that good they could charge $175 (1/2 the Garmin cost), sell them like crazy and put Garmin out of business. My guess is they know people won't fight as hard over loosing $59.

But that's me. You speed you're money as you will. For me, until a PROVEN better GPS comes along my wallet stays put.

JMHO

JRTJH
01-09-2020, 10:26 AM

I've bought "more than my fair share" of "Chinese knockoff junk".... In reading this one, there are a few "warning signals" that I see. First is the "Compatible only with Windows PC". Second is the comment: "OHREX probably is the best 7 inch Capacitive touch screen GPS Navigation for Cars and trucks." Sounds very much like a "Chinese legal disclaimer". Third is, I don't see a mention of an internal speaker and there is this comment: "You can use the FM transmitter of the GPS navigation, built-in FM transmitter can provide GPS sound to your car stereo." (you can't listen to the stereo if it's tuned to 88.8 so you can hear the GPS).... Fourth is the negative comments. Many detail issues with the software limitations of the system, lack of correct routing, inability to maintain programming, inability to change time zones based on physical location of the unit (when moving through time zones) and inability to input addresses (unit won't recognize the input address). Then there's the comments about tech support: "They never answer" "I can't get a response", etc....

It may be a good unit, it may not be worth the price.... At least with Amazon, if it doesn't work, you can get your money back within the "return window".... My guess is, you'll likely be sending it back if you compare it "side by side" with a comparable Garmin unit.

bbells
01-09-2020, 10:27 AM
I loved my big screen Garmin with the built in dash cam and weighted dash mount. I think it has a 6 inch screen. But, since I got my new truck with android auto I don't use it much.

Leatherman
01-09-2020, 11:04 AM
I understand about the issues of getting what you pay for. I have an old Garmin now which still works but is not setup specifically for RVs.

So, I am to assume you have not used this brand right? I was looking for anyone that had used or was familiar with it.

Thanks for the reply.

larryflew
01-09-2020, 11:56 AM
Have had a simple Tomtom, a trucker Tomtom, 2 trucker Magellans and Garmin. The first Magellan lasted 13 months and Magellan gave me a half price replacement being it was out of warranty. It did fine until I went to update maps and died during the process. The second lasted 7 months. Both were over $400 units. The cheap TT went for a few years but took us on several BS trips to nowhere. The better TT also died during an update. The Garmin is the fancier (don't have number handy) one with truck height, length and internal driving logs with camera, cell hook up, blue tooth, traffic updates, voice command etc BUT it's only 5 months old so time will tell. Love the look and ease of use so far, ie wife wants to make a stop say "voice command" it asks if you want address, type of stop, place, city etc tell it "place" "Sam's Club" " added stop" as it asks you the questions and it calculates route.

Years ago b4 traveling we had a cheap Garmin for 5 years b4 maps got too out of date to find newer residential areas (doing service work).

Hope this one does as well. Reason I didn't go back to G is 2 of the 3 bought at the time also died.

bfisher003
01-09-2020, 12:10 PM
Garmin’s latest RV model and load the POI files from lowclearance.com and you’ll be golden.

buzzcop63
01-09-2020, 02:11 PM
Garmin, update every couple of years due to new roads, new homes, use it on any drive where you have to watch for a street name to turn. For RV it has been a lot of help and you can take it walking and it will help you find your way back to your trailer.

Awinkle
01-09-2020, 02:22 PM
We have the Garmin 770 also and bought it specifically for compatibly with the wireless back up camera - all in one package. All the bells and whistles.

gfspiering
01-09-2020, 10:24 PM

Thank you.
John

I purchased the Rand McNally OverDryve; Really wished I had selected the Garmin RV GPS version. It is relatively expensive so I can't afford to throw it away. I find the phone is a poor choice as you can't add cameras, TPMS systems and they require an app (which I haven't found a suitable one yet) to function for an RV. Also, the phone screen is quite small and harder to read when you are in the middle of negotiating complex movements in traffic.

flybouy
01-10-2020, 05:15 AM
Garmin, update every couple of years due to new roads, new homes, use it on any drive where you have to watch for a street name to turn. For RV it has been a lot of help and you can take it walking and it will help you find your way back to your trailer.

My Garmin reminds me that new updates are available at least every 6 months, sometimes more often than that.

foldbak
01-10-2020, 06:10 AM
Galaxy S10 or iPhone 10 using the Waze app.

uechikid
01-10-2020, 03:09 PM
I use a Garmin Zumo 660. It's a motorcycle GPS so it's more expensive. Probably more than you want to spend. I paid north of $600 for it but it's waterproof and came with some other goodies. Way over priced but I wanted a really good motorcycle GPS. I use it all the time when I ride and I like it. I have used it quite a bit in my truck too but only once towing the trailer.

The biggest issue I have had is custom mapping. I use to use a website that I could work up a custom map then transfer it to my GPS and the map would be exactly as the one on the webpage. Way points and all. The last time I used it, it didn't transfer the data well at all. Way points and routes were all off.

As others have recommended, don't buy a cheap one. You get what you pay for.

jimborokz
01-13-2020, 08:36 AM
Got a Magellan RV gps 6 years ago when we got the 5er after researching online (not here) and many were at that time complaining about their Garman's. It's worked ok for us so far. Right before Christmas I was leaving on a trip in the truck and it was Zero and the Diesel just wouldn't fire and I couldn't find the plug for the block heater after the Ford recall. Bottom line once I got it running the gps wouldn't start. Had been cranking on it quite a bit on an off for 4 hours. Figured it was toast so I used Waze on the phone since I wasn't towing anyway. Six days later I charged up the Magellan just to give it one more try and bingo, started right up. Still don't know what that was all about.
I do use the Waze usually when I'm not towing because sometimes the RV gps will take a longer route to avoid a situation you don't want with the trailer.
When the Magellan finally does die I will likely get the Garman.

flybouy
01-13-2020, 08:49 AM
Got a Magellan RV gps 6 years ago when we got the 5er after researching online (not here) and many were at that time complaining about their Garman's. It's worked ok for us so far. Right before Christmas I was leaving on a trip in the truck and it was Zero and the Diesel just wouldn't fire and I couldn't find the plug for the block heater after the Ford recall. Bottom line once I got it running the gps wouldn't start. Had been cranking on it quite a bit on an off for 4 hours. Figured it was toast so I used Waze on the phone since I wasn't towing anyway. Six days later I charged up the Magellan just to give it one more try and bingo, started right up. Still don't know what that was all about.
I do use the Waze usually when I'm not towing because sometimes the RV gps will take a longer route to avoid a situation you don't want with the trailer.
When the Magellan finally does die I will likely get the Garman.

The Garmin RV GPS gives you the choice of using it in RV mode or in "standard" mode. I use standard mode when not towing.

jimborokz
01-14-2020, 08:38 AM
The Garmin RV GPS gives you the choice of using it in RV mode or in "standard" mode. I use standard mode when not towing.

Does Garmin default to RV mode? I once had been using mine in Standard then hooked up and later questioned the directions I was getting and realized I didn't have it in RV. That's why I use the phone, besides it's already hanging on the dash board.

flybouy
01-14-2020, 08:54 AM
Does Garmin default to RV mode? I once had been using mine in Standard then hooked up and later questioned the directions I was getting and realized I didn't have it in RV. That's why I use the phone, besides it's already hanging on the dash board.

The RV model I have will stay in either towing or not towing modes depending on where it was set the last time it was used. So I guess you could say it "defaults" to the last mode that it was in.

Clifford1111
01-20-2020, 04:03 PM
Back at you. We ran the RV 785 and love it. Tried lane departure. It works, but only on solid lines. When the little cars pulled in too close it beeped. Brought it into the park with the easiest turns.

Rdynbama
02-22-2020, 07:46 AM
Is the dezl 780 programmable for 5th wheel RV ? Or is it mainly for truckers?
Trying to find something for a trip this week

travelin texans
02-22-2020, 08:26 AM
Head to your local truck stop & pickup a Motor Carriers Atlas, it has all low clearances listed by state in the front with the roads highlighted as safe for trucks. It's about $20-25, cheaper than a GPS plus if trucks can safely go so will anything you'll be towing.
Only a couple differences from the GPS, doesn't have a monitor & doesn't fit on the dash, but you can take in the house & plan a route from your easy chair.

Rdynbama
02-22-2020, 08:31 AM
Sounds like a good idea. I just got off the phone with my brother in law and that’s what he did. Thank you

sonofcy
02-22-2020, 04:19 PM
Galaxy S10 or iPhone 10 using the Waze app.

Handy apps, but don't know squat about the height, width left turn vs 3 rights and many more RV specific issues.

sonofcy
02-22-2020, 04:21 PM
But does the phone know about your RV height?

CampingRooster
02-24-2020, 04:52 PM
Is the dezl 780 programmable for 5th wheel RV ? Or is it mainly for truckers?
Trying to find something for a trip this week

It is for trucks but you program the length, height, width and weight of you're rig and it calculates just like its an RV. The only thing that is slightly annoying is when I go down a street I am familiar with and trucks may not be allowed on it, it will warn you. Other than that, I love it!

Rdynbama
02-25-2020, 09:27 AM
Thank you
We used the Magellan Road mate and paper maps
We’ll probably pick up a motor carrier atlas for the future and research my gps options

B-O-B'03
03-03-2020, 09:55 PM
I still use my Garmin 1390 LMT (8+ years old), even when pulling the camper, but it is a small trailer.

I connect the Garmin to my laptop and let it do the free update, if one is available, before each trip. It also has a traffic radio in it, so it will alert me to any issues and also provide an alternate route if I accept it.

The DW will also put our destination into her "smart phone" and a couple of times I have used what the Garmin says over her phone app and have been better off for it..

YMMV, but I have no problems depending on my Garmin, that was less than $250 all those years ago.

-Brian

KRumm
03-04-2020, 03:41 AM
Agree you will get what you pay for... These off brands have very basic maps that may not be updated regularly... I'd stick with a trusted brand like Garmin and note that the most expensive Garmin uses the same maps as their cheapest units or a refurbished unit that's a couple years old...

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Navigator-Lifetime-Directions-Foursquare/dp/B079YZYDTZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?keywords=garmin+gps&qid=1583322277&sr=8-9