PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting hitch

MikeNovak
12-23-2019, 10:39 AM
The distance between the truck rails and the bottom of the Fuzion is only about 4” and I have extended the 5th wheel hitch in the bed as high as it goes.

On the Command inside the rig, it has a button for hitch height, but nothing happens when I choose “raise” or “lower” on it.

Is there a trick to using this?

MikeNovak
12-23-2019, 11:02 AM
For reference

Dhuhn
12-23-2019, 11:33 AM
The button for hitch height is when you hitch back up after unloading it take your RV to the height you unhitched at. If you want to raise the distance between the truck you will have to lower the pin box there are probably 6 bolts to take out then lower it down a hole or two, make sure you tork the bolts back to right specks. You can probably find that on Lipperts site.

Theoldroaddog
01-14-2020, 05:09 PM
I had the same issue with my Impact 361 and my new Ram. The bed rails are taller than the bed rails on a GMC 3500. I put the hitch at its max height and was still too close to the bed rails. I unbolted the pin box and dropped it one bolt hole. I now have six inches of clearance. The pin boxes are heavy so I would have an assistant before trying. Also check the torque specs on your specific pin box. I hope this helps.

JRTJH
01-14-2020, 06:09 PM
When lowering the pinbox, if you don't have a helper to "muscle that heavy thing", take a couple of saw horses, set them under the front of the trailer and span them with a couple of 2x8's or 2x10's, then use the front landing gear to lower the pinbox until it's resting on the 2x's... Unbolt the pinbox (it will rest on the lumber, then use the landing gear to raise the trailer and align the holes for the bolts at the height you want. Insert the bolts, tighten and torque the pinbox in place, move the saw horses, rehitch, raise the landing gear and retorque the bolts one last time with weight on the pinbox.

It's much MUCH easier with 2 people, but one person can do it with some sawhorses and lumber.

chuckster57
01-14-2020, 06:14 PM
Or...hitch up, undo the bolts and RAISE the front of the trailer with the landing gear.

JRTJH
01-14-2020, 06:29 PM
Or...hitch up, undo the bolts and RAISE the front of the trailer with the landing gear.

That will work, too... It's just hard to get my big butt (well the other end, actually) under the fifth wheel overhang and sit on the ridges on the truck bed to get to the bolts. For me, with my "age related inflexibility" (I don't bend like I used to) it's easier to do it standing up with the truck out of the way :angel:

chuckster57
01-14-2020, 06:40 PM
I hear you loud and clear!! I commented to my neighbor as I replaced steering components, laying on a moving blanket in 39 degree weather that I may need to close the shop (driveway) from October to March.

Texcoonazz
01-26-2020, 08:41 AM
I have always heard that you can not or should not adjust the pin box. Makes no sense to me as there are extra holes there for adjustments. But that is what I have heard from multiple people and forums. I have a Raptor and where my pin box bolts to the frame there are extra metal plates / stripes on the outside. They are welded in place and I assume this is to give it extra strength where the bolts run through. I have holes below this but there are no re enforcement plates that low. My last Raptor had the same set. So what is the purpose of the re enforcement metal? Why does it not go down to the lower holes? What is potential for frame issues if I lower mine?

JRTJH
01-26-2020, 01:13 PM
Tex,

If, when you lower your pinbox and "some of the holes are on the reinforced plates and some of the holes are below the reinforced plates, will your pinbox still sit "flush and properly positioned? I'm thinking you'll have a space equal to the thickness of the reinforcement plates between the trailer pin mount and the pinbox. If that's the situation, then you shouldn't "torque the pinbox to form it against the trailer pin mount. Doing so will bend the pinbox, possibly making it weaker or even unusable. Your trailer model may have a pinbox mount/pinbox that is "custom built for that application" and as such, shouldn't be moved or adjusted higher/lower....

Mine, on the other hand, doesn't have any reinforcement plates, it's 1/4" steel plate on both parts and they fit flush against each other regardless of which holes are used.

Texcoonazz
01-26-2020, 01:19 PM
Tex,

If, when you lower your pinbox and "some of the holes are on the reinforced plates and some of the holes are below the reinforced plates, will your pinbox still sit "flush and properly positioned? I'm thinking you'll have a space equal to the thickness of the reinforcement plates between the trailer pin mount and the pinbox. If that's the situation, then you shouldn't "torque the pinbox to form it against the trailer pin mount. Doing so will bend the pinbox, possibly making it weaker or even unusable. Your trailer model may have a pinbox mount/pinbox that is "custom built for that application" and as such, shouldn't be moved or adjusted higher/lower....

Mine, on the other hand, doesn't have any reinforcement plates, it's 1/4" steel plate on both parts and they fit flush against each other regardless of which holes are used.

The re enforcement is on the outside of the frame portion that accepts the pin box. The pin box will remain snug regardless of placement.

JRTJH
01-26-2020, 02:12 PM
I have always heard that you can not or should not adjust the pin box. Makes no sense to me as there are extra holes there for adjustments. But that is what I have heard from multiple people and forums. I have a Raptor and where my pin box bolts to the frame there are extra metal plates / stripes on the outside. They are welded in place and I assume this is to give it extra strength where the bolts run through. I have holes below this but there are no re enforcement plates that low. My last Raptor had the same set. So what is the purpose of the re enforcement metal? Why does it not go down to the lower holes? What is potential for frame issues if I lower mine?

The re enforcement is on the outside of the frame portion that accepts the pin box. The pin box will remain snug regardless of placement.

Somewhere, either I'm not understanding what you posted or what you said in the bolded part of the first post isn't the same as your comments in the second post ??? That said, if, when you lower your pinbox, it remains flush against the pinbox mount, my comments wouldn't apply.

Dusty
01-28-2020, 04:48 PM
See this post. https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=359529#post359529 Lippert (LCI) said I could move the Rota-Flex down one set of holes. Same pin box.