PDA

View Full Version : New Ram 3500

sourdough
12-19-2019, 06:39 PM
I'm looking for a little more insight than what I have about the listed truck.

I have looked and looked for a Ram 3500, SB, 4x4, 6.4, 4.10...all over the place with what I want and have been unable to find it. I thought my only option was to place an order for a new one after the 1st of the year; get a 20, order what I want. But, they're having year end pricing which is pretty good and I just "wandered" around the Ram dealership "looking". Well, they've found a SRW 3500 pretty much like I wanted and I'm a hair of hitting the go button to do it.

My question would be to anyone that owns a SRW Ram 3500 I suppose. I am very worried about the height of the truck vs my 3/4 (2014 vs 2019). I sat it beside a new 3/4 and it appears to be an inch or so taller. The spec sheets I pulled show that it should be in fact about that. The 1 ton spec sheet shows the same as the 3/4 dimension wise; does anyone have one of these and know?? I want it to fit in my garage when I get home. I don't want to have to have a contractor come rebuild the garage and buying it with the wrong dimensions will require that.

I know; WHY do that when you can't check it in the garage? I have been looking months and months for something like it in TX without success unless I ordered. New year is coming, prices go up and the trade in goes down...and there's the "employee" pricing going on (which isn't that big of a deal)...but I've found a truck. At the end of the day I can, and will, have the garage modified if it doesn't fit but that is absolutely not what I want to do.

Anyway, if I can get the numbers squared with them tomorrow I will buy it unless someone here has some input to share that would make me put it off....but at least they can GET me one!

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

An added note: the 4.10 ratio. I have used most any of the Ram/Dodge ratios. I have not had the 4.10 with the 8 speed tranny. Took the 3.73 out with the 6.4 and it really seemed to fill some holes in the 6 speed and boosted the max tow by 2k lbs. (yes I know), but it IS an improvement.

Max tow for the 3.73 is approx. 14250 and the 4.10 is somewhere over 16k. Payload is the limiting factor and why I want the 3500. I am also looking at a somewhat larger trailer but don't envision anything over 13k gvw (probably 12 or so loaded). I've always said anything >10k should seriously consider a diesel. The new trannys make a lot of difference. Any thoughts?

rhagfo
12-19-2019, 07:27 PM
Are you worried about the height of the cab? If so what is the height of your garage door.

Retired Copper
12-19-2019, 07:28 PM
I am glad for you Danny. If it was me and I was worried about it fitting I would take a towel and a piece of pvc pipe and get them to measure it from level ground to the pipe laying on the towel at the highest point. Then you would at least have a good reading and know where you stand.

Laredo Tugger
12-19-2019, 07:30 PM
Danny,
I have a 2018 SRW RAM 3500 (it is also a 4x4). As for the height, mine will fit in my garage which has a standard height header. I have a crew cab so the truck is about a foot to long for my garage. Not sure which cab configuration you are looking at or how long your garage is. Just something to consider. I thought all RAM 3500 were diesel, did not know they had a gas option. Good luck and hope this helps.
RMc

Brantlyj
12-19-2019, 07:50 PM
Am I missing something? If the 2019 is an inch taller the the 2020 would be similar would it not?

Ken / Claudia
12-19-2019, 08:18 PM
Just tossing this out, have you checked Dave Smith motors in ID. 1 friend got a 3500 this year, just talked this morning to another. They both did the whole deal on the phone and web site. The dealer pays for a flight from home, in this case PDX to Spokane Wa. They send a vehicle to pickup and drive you to dealer. Drive is about 30 miles away from airport. I was going to do the same with a used truck. But, they don't make the great deals as with a new vehicle. Unknown if they fly folks from TX or not.

sourdough
12-19-2019, 08:54 PM
Thanks so much for the replies.

When I built the house I never dreamed of a "bigger" truck...but here we are. I built it with a standard garage length/width; I thought. I believe my entrance is 7'. I'm thinking that will work. I don't remember the length but my current 3/4 clears the entrance by a few inches and the length leaves me about 3" for the door to close - I think. I took DW today to look at the new 3/4 to see what she thought. She thought the same - maybe 1-2" higher.

Until October I had never had a dealer "bring" in a vehicle for me to buy sight unseen. In that case it was a newer version of one I owned and a SUV so no problem. This is much different and I won't so that to a dealer (no matter how much they zip you) unless I will buy what comes in.

Laredo my truck is a CC and it fits in my garage so I figure that will be OK. And yes, the 3500s come with the 6.4 option. Thanks to all for the input and thoughts. I truly hate trying to buy something supposed to fit in a garage 1500 miles away...never done that.

Snoking
12-19-2019, 10:18 PM
My thought is if you are going to the trouble of buying a 3500, get the diesel, Aisin Tranny and tallest gears available(3.73's)! You will get better mileage loaded or empty.

notanlines
12-20-2019, 02:24 AM
I have to disagree with one thing Snoking suggested. I would prefer to tow with much lower gears than 3:73 if we're in the 12K to 14K or better range. And I can tell you that the mileage difference is nominal at best. But I do think the SRW 3500 is the answer for Danny.

Wyldfire
12-20-2019, 03:58 AM
Just tossing this out, have you checked Dave Smith motors in ID. 1 friend got a 3500 this year, just talked this morning to another. They both did the whole deal on the phone and web site. The dealer pays for a flight from home, in this case PDX to Spokane Wa. They send a vehicle to pickup and drive you to dealer. Drive is about 30 miles away from airport. I was going to do the same with a used truck. But, they don't make the great deals as with a new vehicle. Unknown if they fly folks from TX or not.

I believe you will find currently Dennis Dillion Ram of Caldwell Idaho has lower advertised prices then Dave Smith. They also do everything online and will pick you up at the Boise Airport.

+Ruff Rider
12-20-2019, 05:18 AM
Take a test drive if close to home. You can do a test fit in the garage.

sourdough
12-20-2019, 06:10 AM
My thought is if you are going to the trouble of buying a 3500, get the diesel, Aisin Tranny and tallest gears available(3.73's)! You will get better mileage loaded or empty.

I've crunched the numbers every which way and the benefits of a diesel in my case will never begin to pay back the up front 10k premium. If you NEED a diesel and will use it then a person should get it, in our case I just don't and I'm not interested in having one to have it. Not to start a diesel vs gas debate because I can't be swayed, just an explanation of the gas choice. I will say that Javi called me once and made a convincing argument for the diesel and almost had me convinced but I just can't get past the price tag.

Snoking
12-20-2019, 06:13 AM
I have to disagree with one thing Snoking suggested. I would prefer to tow with much lower gears than 3:73 if we're in the 12K to 14K or better range. And I can tell you that the mileage difference is nominal at best. But I do think the SRW 3500 is the answer for Danny.

I tow a 16K 5th wheel with a 3500 4x4 CC SB RAM "diesel" with Aisin tranny and 3.42 gears it. Tows great at 24,500 combined and it a real freeway cruise empty. Now they come with 3.73 gears with the diesel, which is a concession to the inhouse 68RFE that has taller 1st and 2nd gears.

Just as finding a 3500 with the gas engine is hard, resell will be harder also.

66joej
12-20-2019, 06:36 AM
Danny when measuring remember that funny little antenna (sirius xm gps?) on the roof. Adds about 2".

Laredo Tugger
12-20-2019, 07:20 AM
Danny when measuring remember that funny little antenna (sirius xm gps?) on the roof. Adds about 2".

No problem,just sawzall a slot in the door header! :whistling:
K, just kidding. Just checked as I was typing this,my 18 has that antenna. It is mounted forward on the slope coming off the windshield and clears my garage door. I also have a slight slope on my driveway out of the garage so if Danny's is flat he will have even more clearance.
RMc

sourdough
12-20-2019, 08:33 AM
No problem,just sawzall a slot in the door header! :whistling:
K, just kidding. Just checked as I was typing this,my 18 has that antenna. It is mounted forward on the slope coming off the windshield and clears my garage door. I also have a slight slope on my driveway out of the garage so if Danny's is flat he will have even more clearance.
RMc

Yes, that antenna is/was a cause for concern. When I looked at it I was surprised how much larger it is than my current one. I couldn't tell from the ground what it did because I was looking "up" and it looked pretty tall. My drive slopes away from the garage as well. Is your truck a 4x4?

tech740
12-20-2019, 12:38 PM
Yes, that antenna is/was a cause for concern. When I looked at it I was surprised how much larger it is than my current one. I couldn't tell from the ground what it did because I was looking "up" and it looked pretty tall. My drive slopes away from the garage as well. Is your truck a 4x4?

I traded a 2010 2500 ram for a 2019 Ram 3500 4x4. The rear is about 1-1.5 inches taller. I had to drop the ball on my Andersen one notch to level the trailer back out. I just fit through my garage door which is a 7 foot door. I have the HO diesel with Aisin and if Ram doesn't step up I will never own another one. This trans shifts horrible. I sought it out and am very displeased. Hopefully the 6.4 and 8 speed gives you a better experience.
The 2019 is the same cab and box as your 2014. Just a different front clip and redesigned inside.

Laredo Tugger
12-20-2019, 01:57 PM
Yes Danny my truck is a 4x4.
tech740, my transmission has some weird shift intervals sometimes but nothing I would return to the dealer for service. Overall real happy with the truck. Mine is a 2018, not sure if something was changed in the drive-train for 2019 models. I would definitely get your truck back into your dealer while under warranty if it does not have smooth shifting.
Good luck.
RMc

tech740
12-20-2019, 02:34 PM
Yes Danny my truck is a 4x4.
tech740, my transmission has some weird shift intervals sometimes but nothing I would return to the dealer for service. Overall real happy with the truck. Mine is a 2018, not sure if something was changed in the drive-train for 2019 models. I would definitely get your truck back into your dealer while under warranty if it does not have smooth shifting.
Good luck.
RMc

Tried that. My dealer and Ram have been useless. Mine makes everyone in the cab bounce when it shifts between 2nd and 3rd while towing the trailer. Just had an update done with no help. When not towing its great. Once its into 3rd gear I love the truck.

rhagfo
12-20-2019, 03:02 PM
I've crunched the numbers every which way and the benefits of a diesel in my case will never begin to pay back the up front 10k premium. If you NEED a diesel and will use it then a person should get it, in our case I just don't and I'm not interested in having one to have it. Not to start a diesel vs gas debate because I can't be swayed, just an explanation of the gas choice. I will say that Javi called me once and made a convincing argument for the diesel and almost had me convinced but I just can't get past the price tag.

Danny, are you trading in the 2014 6.4 on the new truck? Look at the difference in trade in between the 6.4 and a 6.7 diesel. Yep you do have the first time buy in of $10,000 or so, but the difference in trade in value you retain about 80% of it.
Likely not going to change your mind, but you aren’t just throwing $10k away. Then there is the towing experience, while a gas engine is getting to the top of its comfort zone at 12,000# to 14,000# a diesel is at low end of its comfort zone. I am sure Javi covered this with you.

notanlines
12-20-2019, 03:08 PM
Just to inject a little humor, Javi once said you can always stay with the gas engine and just drive through the park with the windows down making a sound like a diesel....:D

sourdough
12-20-2019, 04:26 PM
Danny, are you trading in the 2014 6.4 on the new truck? Look at the difference in trade in between the 6.4 and a 6.7 diesel. Yep you do have the first time buy in of $10,000 or so, but the difference in trade in value you retain about 80% of it.
Likely not going to change your mind, but you aren’t just throwing $10k away. Then there is the towing experience, while a gas engine is getting to the top of its comfort zone at 12,000# to 14,000# a diesel is at low end of its comfort zone. I am sure Javi covered this with you.

Russ, I've not traded in a diesel so I don't know the exact numbers but my son has been in the car business for decades. When I initially considered a diesel a few years ago I asked him about the return on trade. At that time he said they would generally bring about 4k more than a gas engine. With that said I would need to get 6k of "additional benefits" from a diesel to make it worthwhile. I just don't do that. If I anticipated a large trailer I would just buy one but 12-13k is as large as we will go. Granted the diesel does a better job of "pulling" but I don't pull all the time. 85%, at least, of my time is spent non towing so it would be of no benefit. They used to get far superior mileage but that isn't the case anymore and I could never make back that price differential in savings. And, unlike Jim mentioned, I don't drive thru the park trying to make diesel sounds...I don't like to wake people up or be woke up. :D:D

Anyway, the 3500 I was ready to buy is off the table because the local dealer said the dealer that had it won't send it to them.:( Back to the drawing board. Looking at ordering one tomorrow if it can be here in FL before we leave and I can still get discounts.

vampress_me
12-20-2019, 04:38 PM
My only question would be are you sure you only have 7’ tall garage doors? Can someone measure it for you, just in case they are taller? Depending on when it was built, newer houses (as in 15 years old or newer) in our part of the country are typically built with 8’ tall doors. Well, depending on how cheap the contractor is... :D

sourdough
12-20-2019, 04:52 PM
My only question would be are you sure you only have 7’ tall garage doors? Can someone measure it for you, just in case they are taller? Depending on when it was built, newer houses (as in 15 years old or newer) in our part of the country are typically built with 8’ tall doors. Well, depending on how cheap the contractor is... :D

Thanks Lynette and that's not a bad idea. It was a custom build and I went through all of it but I just cannot remember the height of those doors. I had them widen the garage and build out a concrete raised area but I don't remember the doors. I'm sure we discussed the size of the doors because I know I told him I wanted separated doors instead on one long one so I could widen the distance between them and I think I just told him "standard" doors but... I've been going off mine and Susan's memories and how much space is above the current truck when I pull in. I'll see if we might find someone to give us an exact measurement. Thanks.

Gegrad
12-20-2019, 05:48 PM
Anyway, the 3500 I was ready to buy is off the table because the local dealer said the dealer that had it won't send it to them.:( Back to the drawing board. Looking at ordering one tomorrow if it can be here in FL before we leave and I can still get discounts.

Sorry to say, you can't get the discounts when you order; They only give the discounts for what they are currently running when the truck arrives at your dealer (approx 2 months, and nobody knows what they will be in 2 months). I had talked to several dealers about ordering one over the last few months and they all said the same thing. I suppose if you had someone on the inside this could be different, but if you order you are at the mercy of whatever the specials are when it arrives.

And the employee pricing is big- I got over $8k off sticker last week, because there are other discounts that stack with the pricing right now. I did not get exactly what I wanted, but decided that the ridiculous pricing right now was worth a few trade offs.

sourdough
12-20-2019, 06:51 PM
Sorry to say, you can't get the discounts when you order; They only give the discounts for what they are currently running when the truck arrives at your dealer (approx 2 months, and nobody knows what they will be in 2 months). I had talked to several dealers about ordering one over the last few months and they all said the same thing. I suppose if you had someone on the inside this could be different, but if you order you are at the mercy of whatever the specials are when it arrives.

And the employee pricing is big- I got over $8k off sticker last week, because there are other discounts that stack with the pricing right now. I did not get exactly what I wanted, but decided that the ridiculous pricing right now was worth a few trade offs.

Thanks Matt. I was worried about the pricing on an ordered vehicle also but I talked to the sales guy (Matt as well) and he said if we ordered it, and paid for it, while the sale was on it was a paid for truck and the pricing should be honored. He is to check tomorrow and confirm. We are looking at the same kind of discounts too....we'll see.

vampress_me
12-20-2019, 06:54 PM

Dodge doesn’t honor the discounts at time of order? Ford does, so I would double-check with the Dodge dealer to make sure (since I can’t believe one brand would do something that much better than another one). All 3 of our recent Ford trucks have been ordered, and every time the discounts at time of order were “locked in” so we at least got those. In fact, my $2000 private offer was set to expire long before the truck would show up on the dealer lot, but dealer called Ford and they said they would still honor it - and they did. Also, If the discounts were better when the truck came in, we could take advantage of that instead.

Gegrad
12-20-2019, 07:28 PM
Thanks Matt. I was worried about the pricing on an ordered vehicle also but I talked to the sales guy (Matt as well) and he said if we ordered it, and paid for it, while the sale was on it was a paid for truck and the pricing should be honored. He is to check tomorrow and confirm. We are looking at the same kind of discounts too....we'll see.

Oh wow, well if you can get the current pricing on an ordered truck do it now! Up here in PA all I got was a "no". That would have been sweet had I been able to do that.. would have definitely gotten the Ram Box. Good luck with it all Danny!

mtofell
12-21-2019, 10:43 AM
up front 10k premium.

Per Ram website the diesel option is $9100 MSRP - At Dennis Dillon (or similar) you are paying roughly 80% of MSRP so that diesel upgrade is roughly $7300.

Still may not make sense for your usage but you should at least be using accurate numbers for comparison.

sourdough
12-21-2019, 11:17 AM
Per Ram website the diesel option is $9100 MSRP - At Dennis Dillon (or similar) you are paying roughly 80% of MSRP so that diesel upgrade is roughly $7300.

Still may not make sense for your usage but you should at least be using accurate numbers for comparison.

I rounded it off for typing ease. For purchase price 9100 (which I'm aware of since I've been on that website a LOT) is about the same as 10k to me and since I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone I don't see it as an issue. They're the same to me.

I did however look at that website and it sure makes me wish I was in Idaho. If their info on the site is correct they would have already sold me a truck. Alas, I'm here (FL) and the type of truck I want is rare. My discount will be about 13%. That is a substantial difference but can't offset the cost and time of trying to go from one corner of the U.S. to the other.:banghead:

Jim2366
12-21-2019, 12:49 PM
Hi Sourdough,
If it's a long bed then what you will want to check is the length. I think it's about 20 feet long. The other thing to check is how much higher it is at the hitch, and to level your rig and keep the 5 inches clearance from the pickup rails and the RV.

Wyldfire
12-21-2019, 02:13 PM
Their advertised price is their price. The only thing they tried on me was adding $250 for identity etching but removed it when I said no.

sourdough
12-21-2019, 03:09 PM
Their advertised price is their price. The only thing they tried on me was adding $250 for identity etching but removed it when I said no.

I tell ya, I wish I had started doing this and consulted far earlier in the year. DW and I were talking this evening after the previous post about this dealer and I told her if their pricing holds over the long term to plan on a trip to Idaho for our next truck!! Been there but haven't spent enough time.:D

Wyldfire
12-21-2019, 03:21 PM
I tell ya, I wish I had started doing this and consulted far earlier in the year. DW and I were talking this evening after the previous post about this dealer and I told her if their pricing holds over the long term to plan on a trip to Idaho for our next truck!! Been there but haven't spent enough time.:D

I think you will see the pricing hold. They sale more trucks out of state I believe then to residents. Morning are a continuous line of salesman arriving from airport with internet truck buyers in tow to finish the details and get them on the way.

socoinc1984
12-21-2019, 08:08 PM
I have a 2018 Ram 3500 4x4 Mega Cab fits in my standard 6’-8” garage no problem

sourdough
12-21-2019, 08:20 PM
Thank you.

notanlines
12-22-2019, 12:29 AM
Just for those of us who didn't know of window etching:
"VIN etching is one of the easiest fees to avoid. Putting the car's vehicle identification number (VIN) on the windows is a proven antitheft measure. While some dealers may charge $250 for the service, you can get a kit and do it yourself for as little as $25."
Thank you Google....

rush2112
12-22-2019, 05:56 AM
Picked up a 2019 3500 SRW 4x4 Diesel Laramie 3 weeks ago from Hendrick Ram in Concord NC for $15k off MSRP. If you're only getting $8k off a gas engine you may want to continue looking. If you can get like I did off of a diesel it may be near the same price at the end of the day as your gas.

Big1
12-22-2019, 11:45 PM

Hey Gegrad, I will be interesting to know what is your payload and towing capacity with the new 6.4L?

Big1
12-22-2019, 11:46 PM
Picked up a 2019 3500 SRW 4x4 Diesel Laramie 3 weeks ago from Hendrick Ram in Concord NC for $15k off MSRP. If you're only getting $8k off a gas engine you may want to continue looking. If you can get like I did off of a diesel it may be near the same price at the end of the day as your gas.

Congrats! Do you have any pics?

rush2112
12-23-2019, 03:06 AM
Congrats! Do you have any pics?Here you go. 1st hook up. Since have lowered ball mount to bring tongue down, and added airbags. My payload from sticker is 4288.

Snoking
12-23-2019, 03:58 AM
Here you go. 1st hook up. Since have lowered ball mount to bring tongue down, and added airbags. My payload from sticker is 4288.

You needed air bags on a 3500 RAM? Not using equalizer bars? Can not tell from picture.

rush2112
12-23-2019, 04:09 AM
You needed air bags on a 3500 RAM? Not using equalizer bars? Can not tell from picture.I do have weight distribution. Added bags for when pulling heavy horse trailer, and our plan is to sell this camper and go 5th wheel in March.

Snoking
12-23-2019, 04:45 AM
I do have weight distribution. Added bags for when pulling heavy horse trailer, and our plan is to sell this camper and go 5th wheel in March.

Be sure to pick a 5th wheel with a empty pin weight in the 2400-2500 range or less. If you pick one with a 3K dry pin weight, you will have trouble with your RGAWR. I picked one with 2435 dry pin weight. Chris

Laredo Tugger
12-23-2019, 05:13 AM
rush2112,
I have the same model truck 2018 in the Tradesman package and have 3822 lbs. payload on the sticker. Your truck is one year newer, the Laramie and it is 1000 lbs. lighter? ("4822 on the door sticker")

What changed on these trucks in one year to make them 1000 lbs. lighter?

RMc

rush2112
12-23-2019, 05:16 AM
rush2112,

I have the same model truck 2018 in the Tradesman package and have 3822 lbs. payload on the sticker. Your truck is one year newer, the Laramie and it is 1000 lbs. lighter? ("4822 on the door sticker")

RMcNo. Payload is 4288. I went with 2019 due to increased towing capacity and GCWR.

Laredo Tugger
12-23-2019, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the reply.
Still baffled at how they made the same truck (in a Laramie)1000 lbs. lighter. I have the Aisin trans. Maybe that's a difference? Not sure.
The fifth wheel I have in my signature has been perfect for my truck. It is a great couples trailer. Because it is a lighter version, the cargo capacity is lower. I do not pull full time so that is not a problem.
Good luck
RMc

Snoking
12-23-2019, 05:37 AM
rush2112,

RMc

RGAWR is still 7K. That is the issue with a 5th wheel, not the payload rating. 99% of pin weight of a 5th wheel goes on the rear axle including the hitch. So one has around 3200-3900 pounds left over from the 7K rear axle for hitch, pin weight and other stuff in truck bed.

Here our the chart number for my 2015 SB 4X4 CC Aisin:
Total 7,775 Front Axle 4,810 Rear Axle 2,965

New 2019 LB 4x4 CC
Total 7877.5 Front Axle 4872.45 Rear Axle 3005.05

Here are my ready to tow weights loaded for full timing for a year and a half.
Total 8900, Front Axle 5140, Rear Axle 3760

(Because mine is a Laramie and has side steps it most likely weighs in at a couple hundred pounds more)

2015 SRW is rated for max of 25150.0 trailer weight. Must be for a 4 wheel cart type trailer or really light pin weight gooseneck trailer.

rush2112
12-23-2019, 05:57 AM
RGAWR is still 7K. That is the issue with a 5th wheel, not the payload rating. 99% of pin weight of a 5th wheel goes on the rear axle including the hitch. So one has around 3200-3900 pounds left over from the 7K rear axle for hitch, pin weight and other stuff in truck bed.

Here our the chart number for my 2015 SB 4X4 CC Aisin:
Total 7,775 Front Axle 4,810 Rear Axle 2,965

New 2019 LB 4x4 CC
Total 7877.5 Front Axle 4872.45 Rear Axle 3005.05

Here are my ready to tow weights loaded for full timing for a year and a half.
Total 8900, Front Axle 5140, Rear Axle 3760

(Because mine is a Laramie and has side steps it most likely weighs in at a couple hundred pounds more)

2015 SRW is rated for max of 25150.0 trailer weight. Must be for a 4 wheel cart type trailer or really light pin weight gooseneck trailer.Yeah I understand where you're coming from. We have zero plans of carrying anything in the bed of the truck. I did add a B&w gooseneck hitch which brings the number down a little bit. But I plan on using a goose box instead of a normal fifth wheel hitch. I researched the exact toy hauler that I want and found a build sheet on one close by. The shipped pin weight of that fifth wheel is just under 2700 pounds. I will have two batteries and the LP tanks to add weight to the front pin along with the goose box. We don't carry much in the front bedroom since we're part-time and will be carrying 1000 lb in the rear cargo area with motorcycle, bikes, and kayaks. we tend to travel with very little water since we have full hookups everywhere we stay.

Based on the above this is why I went with a 2019 Ram 8 foot box to give me the capacity I needed for this exact trailer. I have room to spare if needed on all numbers.

Laredo Tugger
12-23-2019, 06:06 AM
Snoking,
Thanks for that info.
I was just trying to figure out how the same model (actually a heavier Laramie package) could come off the lot half a ton lighter. I'm missing something here, and off the top it appears to be more payload on the 2019 RAMs. Not planning on changing trucks, but that is good info to know in the future or for some in the market for a new TV.

As Ted Knight said in "Caddyshack" "Well Danny, Hmm, Hmm." :)

Here are my scale weights with most everything I usually carry on trips.

TRUCK (With full fuel and all equipment/cargo & passengers)
2018 RAM 3500 4x4 CC SB SRW 3.42
Aisin Trans HO CTD/ 5K Air Lift bags
16K Curt Slider Hitch / Door Sticker payload:3822

GVWR: 11700 Max
GAWR: Front 6000 Max Rear 7000 Max
GVWR: 25300 Max
Max Trailer: 17050 Max

TRAILER
2017 Keystone Laredo 350 FB (All tanks dry,full propane tanks,tools, equipment,clothes,some groceries ect...)
Dry Weight: 11230
Cargo Capacity: 1770 Max
GVWR: 13000 Max
Hitch: 2085

SCALE WEIGHTS
TV: (No trailer) Front 5100
Rear 3960= 9060

TV and 5er: Front: 5200
Rear: 6220= 11420
Subtract TV (No trailer) : 9060=2360-Pin Weight

Trailer Axel: 10020
Add Pin: 2360=12380 5er GCWR

GCWR 12380 – 11230 (Dry Trailer) = 1150 Cargo

GCWR: (Connected) Truck 11420 + 10020= 21440

Snoking
12-23-2019, 06:44 AM
SCALE WEIGHTS
Rear 3960= 9060

What this shows is that the empty weight in the charts has to be a bare bones model with no fuel etc.

31 fuel at 7.1 = 220
7.5 DEF at 8 = 60
hitch = 250
passenger + actual driver over 150 = 200
That is 730 of the over 1K you gained.

rush2112
12-23-2019, 06:55 AM
Snoking,
Thanks for that info.
I was just trying to figure out how the same model (actually a heavier Laramie package) could come off the lot half a ton lighter. I'm missing something here, and off the top it appears to be more payload on the 2019 RAMs. Not planning on changing trucks, but that is good info to know in the future or for some in the market for a new TV.

As Ted Knight said in "Caddyshack" "Well Danny, Hmm, Hmm." :)

Here are my scale weights with most everything I usually carry on trips.

TRUCK (With full fuel and all equipment/cargo & passengers)
2018 RAM 3500 4x4 CC SB SRW 3.42
Aisin Trans HO CTD/ 5K Air Lift bags
16K Curt Slider Hitch / Door Sticker payload:3822

GVWR: 11700 Max
GAWR: Front 6000 Max Rear 7000 Max
GVWR: 25300 Max
Max Trailer: 17050 Max

TRAILER
2017 Keystone Laredo 350 FB (All tanks dry,full propane tanks,tools, equipment,clothes,some groceries ect...)
Dry Weight: 11230
Cargo Capacity: 1770 Max
GVWR: 13000 Max
Hitch: 2085

SCALE WEIGHTS
Rear 3960= 9060

TV and 5er: Front: 5200
Rear: 6220= 11420
Subtract TV (No trailer) : 9060=2360-Pin Weight

Trailer Axel: 10020
Add Pin: 2360=12380 5er GCWR

GCWR 12380 – 11230 (Dry Trailer) = 1150 Cargo

GCWR: (Connected) Truck 11420 + 10020= 21440Don't understand why you think my truck is 1,000 pounds lighter.

I have not weighed the truck yet but will shortly.

but they are not the same truck. Mine is long wheel base yours a short wheel base. My GVWR is 600-lb higher than yours and my GCWR is 3k more bases on my 3.73 rear end.

Laredo Tugger
12-23-2019, 07:37 AM

Your original post did not say long bed. It's not that the truck is 1000 lbs. lighter,just the payloads are offset by that much. I guess the payload differences are between the short and long bed frames. You learn something new every day, at least I did.
Thanks,
RMc

Jim2366
12-23-2019, 07:42 AM
Wow, that is an awesome discount, I just got 10k off and soon after they were taking 12,500 off to clear the 2019's to make room for the 2020's.

travelin texans
12-23-2019, 08:07 AM
Here you go. 1st hook up. Since have lowered ball mount to bring tongue down, and added airbags. My payload from sticker is 4288.

If you'd carry that boat somewhere besides the tongue of your TT you may not have needed the airbags!!!!!!

rush2112
12-23-2019, 10:31 AM
If you'd carry that boat somewhere besides the tongue of your TT you may not have needed the airbags!!!!!!Bwahahahaha.

Laredo Tugger
12-23-2019, 11:35 AM
What this shows is that the empty weight in the charts has to be a bare bones model with no fuel etc.

31 fuel at 7.1 = 220
7.5 DEF at 8 = 60
hitch = 250
passenger + actual driver over 150 = 200
That is 730 of the over 1K you gained.

I will have to check my weight tickets but I believe the 9060 was the scale weight of the TV with everything you listed. Now where did I put THAT folder? Anyway,
I remember getting fuel and weighing (TV only) then coming back with the trailer for the second weigh in.
RMc

Big1
12-23-2019, 01:44 PM

Wow, brother I really love your setup, beautiful, just beautiful and I know that it two like a dream, come on summer.

rush2112
12-23-2019, 01:51 PM
Wow, brother I really love your setup, beautiful, just beautiful and I know that it two like a dream, come on summer.Thanks. Toy hauler will be for sale after Bike Week. Just got the truck a bit early due to crazy prices.

sourdough
12-23-2019, 04:35 PM

Just an update Matt. Still in the process of trying to get this done but the dealership has been working on the build sheet for the truck all day and sent me what they had worked up. It has the exact truck I want and.....the employee pricing at the bottom and....it will be a 2020!!

Badbart56
12-23-2019, 05:47 PM
Life is short Danny! Buy the diesel, you won't regret it! It's only money!

Gegrad
12-23-2019, 06:00 PM
Hey Gegrad, I will be interesting to know what is your payload and towing capacity with the new 6.4L?

No idea on my towing capacity, but my yellow sticker payload is 3009.

rhagfo
12-23-2019, 06:02 PM

You needed air bags on a 3500 RAM? Not using equalizer bars? Can not tell from picture.

Well he does have a quad in the bed, but looks like a WD hitch, what gives, to smooth out the ride?

Gegrad
12-23-2019, 06:19 PM
Just an update Matt. Still in the process of trying to get this done but the dealership has been working on the build sheet for the truck all day and sent me what they had worked up. It has the exact truck I want and.....the employee pricing at the bottom and....it will be a 2020!!

That's awesome to hear Danny! Please tell me you are ordering Tree Green? :D (My #1 color preference).

Even better that it will be a 2020 and they gave you the pricing on a 2020!

sourdough
12-23-2019, 06:49 PM
That's awesome to hear Danny! Please tell me you are ordering Tree Green? :D (My #1 color preference).

Minor price changes but didn't result in an overall price increase of 200 bucks maybe. Tree Green? Sorry. DW would go for that in a heartbeat but I'm looking at granite, maybe a blue. I wanted the cream but just bought a new SUV the day before we left in blizzard pearl then put it in the garage; she put the stop on another "white" vehicle.

Gegrad
12-23-2019, 07:32 PM
Minor price changes but didn't result in an overall price increase of 200 bucks maybe. Tree Green? Sorry. DW would go for that in a heartbeat but I'm looking at granite, maybe a blue. I wanted the cream but just bought a new SUV the day before we left in blizzard pearl then put it in the garage; she put the stop on another "white" vehicle.

Yeah, I don't blame her one bit for not wanting white; Based on their pricing, I was open to any color except white or black, so I ended up with the Granite Crystal Metallic. Our Pacifica we picked up in August is also the Granite, so we will have two of the same color for the foreseeable future.

Snoking
12-24-2019, 05:06 AM
When we bought our 2015 I wanted Granite Crystal Metallic, except just about everyone in the NW had that color, so we bought a Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat over Silver one. We got to Arizona with it only to find out it is one of the most popular colors here.

sourdough
12-24-2019, 10:03 AM
When we bought our 2015 I wanted Granite Crystal Metallic, except just about everyone in the NW had that color, so we bought a Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat over Silver one. We got to Arizona with it only to find out it is one of the most popular colors here.

Yep, we've been rethinking the granite color. They couldn't place the order yesterday because their system kept populating the sport pkg. into the options and I don't want that. We will resume Thursday.

DW always has a heck of a time finding our vehicle in a parking lot. She has had much better luck with the red truck; guess cause she's so used to finding me with a red cap. Since the order hasn't been placed we have a couple of days to rethink what we want.....and what she can see "over there". :D Maybe we'll go with red again but I'm ready for a change...maybe blue?

Another note for anyone contemplating a move to the 2020 Ram; according to Bakflip the bed dimensions have changed. I intended to move my Bakflip G2 over to the new truck since the bed says it is still 6'4". Called bakflip to confirm and they said no, they have a new model that fits the 2020. They were the same thru 2019 but in 2020 the dimensions changed. Great. Another 900+ I hadn't anticipated.

flybouy
12-24-2019, 01:56 PM
Danny I think the auto industry learned the "obsolescence game" from the cell phone companies. Every new model phone requires all new accessories.:banghead:

Northofu1
12-24-2019, 03:09 PM

A pearl paint job in the NW is about as popular as sunscreen. :lol:

tmihalic
12-26-2019, 08:23 AM
Get the diesel. The power is worth the extra $$$. I have a 2013 Ram 3500 with the Cummins and a 3.21 rear end. It pulls my 38' fifth wheel that weighs 12K like it isn't even there. And in South Carolina we do have some good hills (nothing like Colorado) but they are no problem with the diesel. Sometimes money isn't everything. And the valuer holds much better than the gas version. Every one wants a diesel when looking for a used truck. And my 3500 fits in my garage with no problem, and this is in a older house, so yours should fit.

If you are planning to get a 5th wheel down the road, a dually is the only way to go. Much more stabile on the turns.

Happy new Year and enjoy whatever you buy.

Snoking
12-26-2019, 08:28 AM
Get the diesel. The power is worth the extra $$$. I have a 2013 Ram 3500 with the Cummins and a 3.21 rear end. It pulls my 38' fifth wheel that weighs 12K like it isn't even there. And in South Carolina we do have some good hills (nothing like Colorado) but they are no problem with the diesel. Sometimes money isn't everything. And the valuer holds much better than the gas version. Every one wants a diesel when looking for a used truck. And my 3500 fits in my garage with no problem, and this is in a older house, so yours should fit.

If you are planning to get a 5th wheel down the road, a dually is the only way to go. Much more stabile on the turns.

3:42 Gears - Maybe!

Dirtherder
12-26-2019, 08:40 AM
I have a 2017 RAM 3500 4x4 DRW long bed. I spent the extra money for the Aisin trans, which I highly recommend. I have a little over 40000 miles and have never had any trouble. The Aisin is rated much better than the standard Dodge transmission. As to the short bed, it depends on what you are towing. I pull a 40 ft 5r so turning is a concern. So far I love my RAM.

blubuckaroo
12-26-2019, 09:30 AM
Your right. You're starting to see diesel pickups with gear ratios that are unacceptable for towing.
Let's face it, there are some out there who just want a big noisy truck, but will never carry a load. We see a lot of 3500s only pulling a couple jet skis around.

I've always opted for the lower geared differentials. It makes towing easier.
However, it does affect your mileage and comfort when driving the truck without a trailer. I think 3.73 gears on a 2500-3500 is a good compromise.

The biggest problem is for those who think they need tires that have a larger diameter than the factory used. This can kill both your performance and tranny if your gear ratio isn't low enough.

INTERCEPTOR
12-26-2019, 11:30 AM

So I just went through this same thing. Bought a 2019 Cougar 368BHS with a gvwr of 14000#. Just ordered a new 3500 with the non HO Cummins. Your thread sounds identicle to mine when I started looking. I was 100% convinced I was going gas up to the very end. The gas did in fact hit ALMOST all the numbers. But being that my profession deals with usdot rules and regs, I know what to look for. The one number I couldn't reach with the Hemi was the GCWR. From a towing standpoint that number doesn't mean a lot. From an insurance standpoint it means a lot! A lot of companies will not cover a crash if you're over your weight ratings, including the gross combined. Just a word of caution. After spending upwards of $100k on a truck/ trailer combo, it'd be devistating to get in a crash and find out you're on your own.

alpo
12-26-2019, 11:41 AM

If available payload is important he might be better off with the 6.4 Hemi. The Cummins Diesel weighs in the area of 1000lbs more than the Hemi, all of which is subtracted from available payload. I have a 2014 2500 Cummins and was mildly upset when shopping for a 5th Wheel, only the lightest of them were within my specs. So much so that I eventually upgraded to a Larger Travel Trailer instead.

INTERCEPTOR
12-26-2019, 12:02 PM
If you have a crew cab short bed, GVWR is 11500. Mega cab or CC long bed is 12300. Longer wheel base gives better load rating.

sourdough
12-26-2019, 12:33 PM
So I just went through this same thing. Bought a 2019 Cougar 368BHS with a gvwr of 14000#. Just ordered a new 3500 with the non HO Cummins. Your thread sounds identicle to mine when I started looking. I was 100% convinced I was going gas up to the very end. The gas did in fact hit ALMOST all the numbers. But being that my profession deals with usdot rules and regs, I know what to look for. The one number I couldn't reach with the Hemi was the GCWR. From a towing standpoint that number doesn't mean a lot. From an insurance standpoint it means a lot! A lot of companies will not cover a crash if you're over your weight ratings, including the gross combined. Just a word of caution. After spending upwards of $100k on a truck/ trailer combo, it'd be devistating to get in a crash and find out you're on your own.

I won't be exceeding the gcvwr. I'm looking at all the numbers. We just don't want that large of a trailer and figure we might come in at 13k or so at the most. GCVWR of the vehicle is over 24k if I recall which should leave us under. Payload should be in the 4100+ lb. range which is where I want it with a 2600lb. pin. After driving the 8 speed 3.73 I am confident the 4.10 will be up for it.

I have said repeatedly that I thought if you went over 10-12k you needed a diesel. I think with the 8 speed and 4.10 performance will be fine. And for that 90% of the time I'm not towing it will be more than adequate...and I'll still have that 10k (9100-11000+ actual) in my pocket. We've pulled this trailer back and forth across the country and the 6.4 does an admirable job. Diesel performance? Not at all but it does take whatever I've thrown at it in stride. We carry about 12-1300lbs. of stuff in the trailer along with about 500 in the truck. I don't see any of that changing unless we put another trailer behind the RV to put "stuff" in:nonono:. This one scales about 92-9300 and the trailer we are looking at has a dry weight of 10,500 give or take making it come in around 11800 loaded. Once both vehicles are loaded I will scale them and have that in hand traveling so there won't be any questions about weights. Thanks for the heads up - it definitely could be an issue.

sourdough
12-26-2019, 01:36 PM

Another update although disappointing. Had the build sheet done, numbers tentatively approved and they wanted to verify the employee pricing. Looks like a no go. The plan doesn't have "total" protection or something like that per the lady at FCA I talked to. Whatever you buy has to be in your hands by 1/2/20, not ordered. The dealer said they thought with the order placed as "sold" it would suffice but apparently not. They are waiting for word back from their Chrysler rep to confirm. Maybe it IS time to fly to Idaho:lol:

Badbart56
12-26-2019, 02:04 PM
Your right. You're starting to see diesel pickups with gear ratios that are unacceptable for towing.
Let's face it, there are some out there who just want a big noisy truck, but will never carry a load. We see a lot of 3500s only pulling a couple jet skis around.

I've always opted for the lower geared differentials. It makes towing easier.
However, it does affect your mileage and comfort when driving the truck without a trailer. I think 3.73 gears on a 2500-3500 is a good compromise.

The biggest problem is for those who think they need tires that have a larger diameter than the factory used. This can kill both your performance and tranny if your gear ratio isn't low enough.

The gear ratios may seem unacceptable to you, but with the torque numbers the diesels put out today they're quite capable. And as for the "big, noisy truck", that pretty much went away in 2008 with the diesels.

My 97 F350 had 4:10 gears and needed them when I was towing heavy. But it only had 420 ft/lbs of torque compared to 800 and higher in the Fords from
model year 2011 and newer. Not sure what the ratio would have to do with comfort though.

As for larger tires, unless it's an off road four wheel drive, I see no benefit. But I've not seen a transmission suffer due to that alone. These new transmissions are up to the task they were designed for.

Even the newer class 8 trucks are using higher gearing and have improved fuel mileage 35% over the past five years, while still maintaining the ability to move 80K pound loads across the nation. My Freightliner uses 3:25 gears. Diesel technology has improved immensely in the last 10 years.

Not Your Daddy's Diesel Truck!

INTERCEPTOR
12-26-2019, 03:31 PM
Just fyi, GCWR is based on weight ratings, not actual weight. Insurance looks at the rating.

Also, your 4100+ payload is a pipedream. Yes the Ram payload charts give nice numbers. My 2020 Rams 3500 Laramie based on Rams payload chart is 4330lbs... However my door sticker is under 3600lbs. So don't base it off that chart. The chart is for a truck with no options or extras.

sourdough
12-26-2019, 04:51 PM
Just fyi, GCWR is based on weight ratings, not actual weight. Insurance looks at the rating.

Also, your 4100+ payload is a pipedream. Yes the Ram payload charts give nice numbers. My 2020 Rams 3500 Laramie based on Rams payload chart is 4330lbs... However my door sticker is under 3600lbs. So don't base it off that chart. The chart is for a truck with no options or extras.

Not really so. I've looked at numerous 3500 Rams with payloads in the 4200lb range so not really a "pipedream". Maybe not YOUR 3500, but 3500s none the less....CC, SWB, lots of adds to a Tradesman pkg. to make them more like the nicer trucks. I intend to get a Big Horn. Laramie chews a big chunk off payload with stuff I don't want or need. I'm comfortable; I will fit any trailer to what I have. That's what is nice about where we are; I can buy the truck I want and "fit" the trailer to it since we aren't strapped into any particular trailer or type because we're...."flexible".:D

As far as insurance refusing a claim based on ratings vs an actual weight slip? I'm comfortable with that fight as well if it arose, but I don't anticipate it.

Edit: I will say that there is a large probability that by the time I can find a truck to buy the payload may well be under 4k but I'm good with that and actually figure it will happen.

Gegrad
12-26-2019, 06:12 PM
Another update although disappointing. Had the build sheet done, numbers tentatively approved and they wanted to verify the employee pricing. Looks like a no go. The plan doesn't have "total" protection or something like that per the lady at FCA I talked to. Whatever you buy has to be in your hands by 1/2/20, not ordered. The dealer said they thought with the order placed as "sold" it would suffice but apparently not. They are waiting for word back from their Chrysler rep to confirm. Maybe it IS time to fly to Idaho:lol:

I am sorry to hear that Danny. But that does confirm my initial suspicion. Ha, if there is that one in Idaho still available you may look into it. The pricing plus the other discounts make it worth it.

sourdough
12-26-2019, 07:26 PM
I am sorry to hear that Danny. But that does confirm my initial suspicion. Ha, if there is that one in Idaho still available you may look into it. The pricing plus the other discounts make it worth it.

Well, the saga continues. They couldn't find anything that was close to what I wanted in the 3500. Now the new order falls out so I asked them if there was any option before I went back and got one in TX. Got a Laramie (don't want one) option sent to me this evening from another dealer that will have to be sent in. Didn't want a Laramie but it checks virtually all of my boxes at a premium of 6k extra and the lack of side steps. Maybe this one will work. The money isn't an issue it's just the principle; I will buy it if they just don't go dumb on making a deal.

And as one poster noted; Yes, I'm sure my payload will go down...but I can adjust to that.

Wyldfire
12-26-2019, 08:02 PM
So I have to ask. Have you even looked at the 3500 diseals? I was looking at their website tonight and was shocked to see diseals priced less the 50,000. It didn't seem like gasers were any cheaper.

sourdough
12-26-2019, 08:34 PM
So I have to ask. Have you even looked at the 3500 diseals? I was looking at their website tonight and was shocked to see diseals priced less the 50,000. It didn't seem like gasers were any cheaper.

Oh yes, I've looked at diesels until my eyes bleed. My issue is price vs need. A diesel just doesn't work for me. Money isn't an issue, I just can't justify, in my mind, the price of a diesel for no more than it will give me in real life. I know many think the diesel is the pinnacle of "being able to have it"; not to me. If you need it get it, if you don't I don't think anyone should feel like they are "cutting themselves short" because they didn't choose to get one. Sort of like I buy a Toyota 4runner vs a Lexus GL 470? Why? Doesn't do a thing for me and what I need from the vehicle vs being able to say "it's a Lexus" means nothing to me unless it's has a function for me. But, I've not seen a Ram like I want, with a diesel, less than 65-70k - to me, it's a truck, not a statement.

Wyldfire
12-26-2019, 08:54 PM
I understand that. I have a Ford diesel because I need it here in Idaho. Driving a fully loaded pickup, pulling a trailer up long climbs on forest service roads to 10,000+ feet almost mandates a diesel. Also makes it a lot safer and easier to come back down with exhaust brake.

sourdough
12-26-2019, 09:27 PM
I understand that. I have a Ford diesel because I need it here in Idaho. Driving a fully loaded pickup, pulling a trailer up long climbs on forest service roads to 10,000+ feet almost mandates a diesel. Also makes it a lot safer and easier to come back down with exhaust brake.

Got it and I agree if you are using it all the time. I have a vacation home at 9k elevation and I've never had any issue using the 6.4, 3.73 getting up or down. I figure, having owned them, the 4.10 will be even better. I will agree that the exhaust brake is a nice feature but I've never had an issue with a gas engine in the mountains if you know what you are doing and manage the situation.

Badbart56
12-27-2019, 04:46 PM
Many folks that never had a diesel don't want one for various reasons. My last gas powered truck was a 1989 C2500 that ran like a race car when it wasn't pulling anything. The 5 speed transmission was fun to drive but I had a tractor business back then and when I loaded the gooseneck trailer with the Massey Ferguson and some equipment, it was quite the dog. there wasn't much else to choose from back then. The Chevy 6.2 and Ford 6.9 were not a lot better than a big block gasser.

My Dad bought an F350 Powerstroke in 96 and let me use it for a week. OMG! It was a towing beast! But DANG it was noisy! I bought a 97 F350 the next year. In 98 I bought a Chevy C2500 6.5 TD. I passed on the 6.0's and the 6.4 Ford's. Dodge stuck with Cummins and it proved to be one of the most reliable high mileage power plants. The 7.3 Navistar that Ford sold in their pickups was a close second. Duramax/Allison proved to be a great combination. Ford finally built their own diesel and it has proven itself to be very strong and reliable along with their 6 speed transmission.

With all the diesels I've owned over the years I may have just been lucky, but I have never had any major failures and regular maintenance never seemed all that expensive. Glad they made all the noise go away, although you definitely know you're in a TRUCK when you hear that old 7.3 loping! Yeah, the diesel option cost more. and just driving my F350 around town....it's not all that impressive. I mean it's a truck. A big old honkin truck. But hook up to my Fusion 405 or my 46 foot flatbed trailer with a bulldozer on it and you understand. This truck is capable! Overkill for most of your daily needs? Probably. But I don't see myself owning a gasser again. Make no mistake, it's not an ego thing. The same logic I use in carrying a firearm applies here. I'd much rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it. I like them. They're powerful. And I can afford one. So that's what I drive. I like diesels. Your mileage may vary. That I understand. But if you have any doubt....:cool:

sourdough
12-27-2019, 05:19 PM
Jeff, I truly appreciate your thoughts and insight....and I really like your "interests" listed on your personal profile.:)

In your case I totally understand the diesel and would have one myself. If I needed one I would get it and deal with any associated problems they presented. I've read enough horror stories of the failures and costs they can bring that I just have an extremely difficult time convincing myself to get one and possibly incur those costs when I'll use (need) it for 5k miles a year - and even then I won't NEED it, I would just have it. I won't be pulling a large 5th wheel no matter what; we don't want one. I will however agree that they are pulling monsters and feel really stout. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Big1
12-27-2019, 07:07 PM
I would definitely go gas, I had a 2016 2500 6.4L Hemi with the 4.10 gears, my payload was like 3k and my towing was like 15,000+ something and the newer one is probably
more towing now. It's just you are going to have high rpm that is normal for gas, if you can I would try to go with the 4.10 gears I had to order mines that way.

sourdough
12-28-2019, 03:29 PM
An update; going with the Laramie. They had to go get it and it will be here this evening. Going in tomorrow and sign papers and give it a once over. Will take possession Monday after they get the side steps installed. Did not want a Laramie with all the bells and whistles (leather, all kinds of doo dads, 12" nav screen, etc. etc. etc.) because it chews up too much payload with things I won't use. But......here we are. I had hoped for a payload in the 4k range but as a previous poster noted, it will probably be less. I'll know tomorrow. And, it's flame red just like my current truck so I'll never know I changed.

Gegrad
12-28-2019, 03:34 PM
An update; going with the Laramie. They had to go get it and it will be here this evening. Going in tomorrow and sign papers and give it a once over. Will take possession Monday after they get the side steps installed. Did not want a Laramie with all the bells and whistles (leather, all kinds of doo dads, 12" nav screen, etc. etc. etc.) because it chews up too much payload with things I won't use. But......here we are. I had hoped for a payload in the 4k range but as a previous poster noted, it will probably be less. I'll know tomorrow. And, it's flame red just like my current truck so I'll never know I changed.

Sounds good Danny, that color is awesome. Congrats! Doesn't the Laramie automatically have leather and such? I know the huge 12" screen is an option, so no worries there. You'll have to let us know what the payload ends up at. And some pics!

Snoking
12-28-2019, 03:37 PM

Congrads: We want pictures at some point!

chuckster57
12-28-2019, 03:43 PM
Congrats!!! Been a long journey, hope the good memories are longer.

sourdough
12-28-2019, 04:18 PM
Sounds good Danny, that color is awesome. Congrats! Doesn't the Laramie automatically have leather and such? I know the huge 12" screen is an option, so no worries there. You'll have to let us know what the payload ends up at. And some pics!

Yes, the Laramie comes with leather. I would have never dreamed of spending 1995 for a 12" screen nav but that's all there was. At least it has the Alpine premium sound system I'll never use.:) It has heated and cooled seats which I would never choose in my truck but got them in my new 4Runner in October and DW loves them so what used to be a sticking point for both of us isn't so much anymore.:o

sourdough
12-28-2019, 04:33 PM
Congrats!!! Been a long journey, hope the good memories are longer.

Thanks Chuck, and yes, it has been a long journey. I have spent since summer looking for a 1 ton like I wanted. Casually looking at most places I went to, talked to some dealers/sales managers and it became clear to me that I wanted something they didn't like to stock. Got to FL and decided to nose around a little more then found out about the employee pricing - which was really good compared to most "end of the year" sales. That got me motivated to find something so I could take advantage of it. Found the same thing....it was going to be hard to find but finally got one that sort of close. I knew what I wanted to spend and what a truck like I wanted would cost and then all this. As I told DW and the sales manager, I guess I'm the only guy I know who would spend an extra 10k to save 2500 (over non employee pricing) .:nonono::banghead: - BUT...I got employee pricing!!! Hoping the memories are good and long as well.

flybouy
12-28-2019, 05:53 PM
Danny I hope have found the "right one for you". Enjoy that "new car smell" and most importantly have fun!

JRTJH
12-28-2019, 05:56 PM
Congratulations, Danny. Here's hoping the memories you make with your new truck are some of the ones you smile about for years to come !!!

sourdough
12-28-2019, 06:13 PM
Thanks guys. I'll post back with payload and pics after I get it. As far as being happy long term with it....I hope. I've been talking to a GM of a Ram dealership who is my friend and known me for years. He advised that I probably wouldn't like the ride of the 3500 because it was so harsh. What they do at his dealership is sell the 2500 and install Sumo springs to keep the ride soft. He said putting those on made it the same thing as a 1 ton...of course we had that conversation. Anyway that will be an unknown. Many have posted here and other places that they like the 1 ton and the ride doesn't change that much; others won't have one due to it but I'm not sure they ever had one....sort of like me with the 3/4 HD due to back pain. Now, having driven the newer ones AND having my gallbladder removed (where they found 7 large stones which removed 95% of my back pain) I'm thinking the 1 ton will be OK running 65psi unloaded and "Sumo Springs":lol::lol::lol:. We'll see.

Snoking
12-28-2019, 06:47 PM
Thanks guys. I'll post back with payload and pics after I get it. As far as being happy long term with it....I hope. I've been talking to a GM of a Ram dealership who is my friend and known me for years. He advised that I probably wouldn't like the ride of the 3500 because it was so harsh. What they do at his dealership is sell the 2500 and install Sumo springs to keep the ride soft. He said putting those on made it the same thing as a 1 ton...of course we had that conversation. Anyway that will be an unknown. Many have posted here and other places that they like the 1 ton and the ride doesn't change that much; others won't have one due to it but I'm not sure they ever had one....sort of like me with the 3/4 HD due to back pain. Now, having driven the newer ones AND having my gallbladder removed (where they found 7 large stones which removed 95% of my back pain) I'm thinking the 1 ton will be OK running 65psi unloaded and "Sumo Springs":lol::lol::lol:. We'll see.

Run 40-44 in the rear tires empty and the ride will improve quite a bit. I leave my fronts the same all the time and just vary the rears, loaded to unloaded. At 40 PSI LT275/70R18E are rated to 2270, times two that is 4540 or around 1500 lbs of capacity over empty weight. Chris

flybouy
12-28-2019, 07:00 PM

I've heard the new trucks ride much nicer. Afraid to test drive one as the current truck is clear title and suits the task. Our F250 has the snow plow package so it rides like a buckboard going over the Rockies.:facepalm:

If we're not towing we typically use the F 150 King Ranch. I call it the "big car without a trunk lid". :lol:

sourdough
12-28-2019, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the input. I drive the truck about 15k a year with maybe less than 5k towing. The rest is empty. I use it going to the mountain house because I'm always getting "stuff" and working on something. My intention is to have that place sold this summer and all our other vacation options so not sure what I'll do with it after that other than towing the RV plus I like to drive my truck.

All that said and done we will be down to the main house and the RV. We are already planning a trip to the NE (never been to Maine and love lobster) and want to travel thru PA (where DW is from) and MI (where we have lots on friends we've made in FL). If we can accomplish that we will be rolling up some miles on the truck. Thinking (hoping) it will be fun if we can get it accomplished.

For all to think about as we travel this journey; have a great friend across the street that I've known for 30 years. He is now almost 80. He had a terrible accident decades ago that busted his hips up pretty good and he's had a bad time since. He had had some issues with the hip falling out and it did before we left. We left and they put him in the hospital for surgery which he had had before. Came out and couldn't recover enough. It was a real deal for the family; we talked with the wife almost every day for a while. He is a wealthy man and that caused lots of "strife" within the family leading to lots of "rhetoric" determining his path (DW is his wife's best friend). He is now in a nursing home....left him when he was riding his Gator over to see me and in 2 months in a nursing home...

Guess that is off tangent but thinking about spending so much on a new truck, hopefully planning a trip to the NE and just "rolling" as we live; makes me think about that fixed wall we will all hit at an unknown time. It's happened many times to my family and friends. As I told the sales guy...it's only money, we get one go round, and once you reach a point in your life that you feel it has been fulfilled....just do it! (NO, Nike doesn't fit in my picture).

Sorry for the long post.

tech740
12-28-2019, 11:41 PM
Run 40-44 in the rear tires empty and the ride will improve quite a bit. I leave my fronts the same all the time and just vary the rears, loaded to unloaded. At 40 PSI LT275/70R18E are rated to 2270, times two that is 4540 or around 1500 lbs of capacity over empty weight. Chris

This is exactly what I do with my 2019 3500. Rides great. Not a car but great for an HD Truck. Plus you wont wear the centers out on the tread of the tire. The transforce A/T tires mine came with seem to ride pretty flat about 40 psi. Happy Trails

rhagfo
12-29-2019, 05:40 AM

Yes, the Laramie comes with leather. I would have never dreamed of spending 1995 for a 12" screen nav but that's all there was. At least it has the Alpine premium sound system I'll never use.:) It has heated and cooled seats which I would never choose in my truck but got them in my new 4Runner in October and DW loves them so what used to be a sticking point for both of us isn't so much anymore.:o

First Congratulations!!!
Please count on it taking about a month of driving to understand all those do-dads!
You will like and use the heated/cooled seats does that include the heated steering wheel?

While our 2001 Ram had a Parrot device for hands free phone use, the 2016 Laramie has hands free voice to text.

Enjoy your new TV!!

sourdough
12-29-2019, 05:53 AM
Thank you and yes it has the heated wheel. Our current truck has the text on the 8.4Uconnect but we aren't subscribed to the voice to text. After trying to use it and finding I don't have it, then having to have DW write a text for me while driving, I think we will probably get that. We have heated seats but not the cooled ones so DW will like that I'm thinking.

66joej
12-29-2019, 06:07 AM

Congrats Danny! You know what they say "you have to spend money to save money"??.
As far as ride I run 50# psi all around when not towing makes a world of difference. My truck has the Firestone Transforce tires.
Enjoy that nice new set of wheels!:flowers:

rhagfo
12-29-2019, 06:19 AM
Thank you and yes it has the heated wheel. Our current truck has the text on the 8.4Uconnect but we aren't subscribed to the voice to text. After trying to use it and finding I don't have it, then having to have DW write a text for me while driving, I think we will probably get that. We have heated seats but not the cooled ones so DW will like that I'm thinking.

Danny, Time to update your signature!!

You will enjoy.

JJaxon
12-29-2019, 09:02 AM
I own a 2019 Ram 3500 SRW Crew Cab Long bed 4x4 Laramie. I, like you searched high and low until I found the truck I needed. My biggest concern was PAYLOAD. These trucks all similarly equipped have payload ranges from 3400 to 4500lbs. I talked to dealers in many states and they were not aware of this fact, but these are sales people just trying to make the deal... Have them look at the yellow ringed decal inside the drivers door and send you a picture of it.

Anyway, I traded my 2017 Ram 2500 CC SB 4x4 Laramie when I found the truck that had the payload I needed, 4410lbs. I love this truck. I drove from Indianapolis to Minneapolis MN to trade trucks in April. Once there I had the truck side by side and measured the height at the tailgates, drivers door rocker panel, and center of hood to compare. These were within 1/4" of each other. Both trucks had cab lights on top, and I had already parked the 17' in my garage before. I have no doubt the 19' will fit for height but it is too long for my current garage. Standard garage door height assumed, as mine is.

The best you can hope for is to find the truck you want, then measure it specifically. Don't take the numbers from the web site as gospel, if they are wrong by 1/2" you can fail in your attempt to meet your needs. Watch the payload #s too.

Snoking
12-29-2019, 09:51 AM
I own a 2019 Ram 3500 SRW Crew Cab Long bed 4x4 Laramie. I, like you searched high and low until I found the truck I needed. My biggest concern was PAYLOAD. These trucks all similarly equipped have payload ranges from 3400 to 4500lbs. I talked to dealers in many states and they were not aware of this fact, but these are sales people just trying to make the deal... Have them look at the yellow ringed decal inside the drivers door and send you a picture of it.

Anyway, I traded my 2017 Ram 2500 CC SB 4x4 Laramie when I found the truck that had the payload I needed, 4410lbs. I love this truck. I drove from Indianapolis to Minneapolis MN to trade trucks in April. Once there I had the truck side by side and measured the height at the tailgates, drivers door rocker panel, and center of hood to compare. These were within 1/4" of each other. Both trucks had cab lights on top, and I had already parked the 17' in my garage before. I have no doubt the 19' will fit for height but it is too long for my current garage. Standard garage door height assumed, as mine is.

The best you can hope for is to find the truck you want, then measure it specifically. Don't take the numbers from the web site as gospel, if they are wrong by 1/2" you can fail in your attempt to meet your needs. Watch the payload #s too.

That higher 4410 payload is pretty meaningless for towing a 5th wheel. 7K RGAWR minus what the weight of the rear axle is ready to tow, is the concern one with a 5th wheel should be looking at. That higher payload did not change the RGAWR of 7K. Chris

ctbruce
12-29-2019, 02:58 PM
Believe me, the heated seats will turn your butt crack right around into a grin in no time. Congrats.

Snoking
12-29-2019, 03:13 PM

Our Laramie came with:

Heated Steering Wheel
Heated Front Seats
Ventilated Front Seats
As part of the Laramie package.

This package included the second-row heater seats.
Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats $ 500
Heated Second-Row Seats
Laramie Package 28H

sourdough
12-29-2019, 04:57 PM
Thanks all. They got the truck in yesterday evening and I went in to sign papers and drive it. It will work. It doesn't have the heated rear seats; I'm not thinking puppy would like that and she is the only one ever back there.:) It does have heated seats, wheel etc. along with the front seat ventilation.

A couple of quick observations I made on the test drive today; that 12" screen is HUGE! I told them it looked like someone had taken a laptop and turned it up lengthwise in the middle of the dash. First take I didn't really like it but as DW pointed out, as my eyes deteriorate I might really like having that huge Nav screen in front of me.:( The 8 speed, 6.4 and 4.10 will hustle! I'm looking forward to hooking it up to the trailer and letting it hit its paces. And, I was hoping to at least have 4k in payload or more, and would have if I had gotten the truck I wanted but that was not to be and this is a heavier truck. But, it's not all bad. The sticker on this one is 3986 so we're close....and I have this gimongous 12" screen sitting in the middle of the dash.:dizzy: Guess you have to give up some payload to get gizmos like that!! I wanted a 5th wheel payload prep and got it but don't know that we'll ever get one....but we might.

Will try to get some pics posted in the next 2-3 days after I pick it up.

Wyldfire
12-29-2019, 05:11 PM
Sounds nice.

Gegrad
12-29-2019, 06:09 PM
A couple of quick observations I made on the test drive today; that 12" screen is HUGE! I told them it looked like someone had taken a laptop and turned it up lengthwise in the middle of the dash. First take I didn't really like it but as DW pointed out, as my eyes deteriorate I might really like having that huge Nav screen in front of me.:( The 8 speed, 6.4 and 4.10 will hustle! I'm looking forward to hooking it up to the trailer and letting it hit its paces. And, I was hoping to at least have 4k in payload or more, and would have if I had gotten the truck I wanted but that was not to be and this is a heavier truck. But, it's not all bad. The sticker on this one is 3986 so we're close....and I have this gimongous 12" screen sitting in the middle of the dash.:dizzy: Guess you have to give up some payload to get gizmos like that!! I wanted a 5th wheel payload prep and got it but don't know that we'll ever get one....but we might.

That's good info. So my new 2500 6.4 has a payload of 3009. It is a Bighorn, and does not have the 12" screen (8.4"), no nav, and no ventilated seats (I do have the heated front seats). Shows you the difference between the 3/4 and 1 ton payloads, since they are both SRW gassers.

sourdough
12-29-2019, 06:30 PM
That's good info. So my new 2500 6.4 has a payload of 3009. It is a Bighorn, and does not have the 12" screen (8.4"), no nav, and no ventilated seats (I do have the heated front seats). Shows you the difference between the 3/4 and 1 ton payloads, since they are both SRW gassers.

Sounds like our trucks are similar. Mine is a Lone Star (TX version of Big Horn) and has most doo dads. I had always said the payload was near 3200 (was thinking it read 3190) but looked today before I take it off and it is 3090. I was hoping to gain about 1k on payload but it turned out a little short. No matter, I will buy a new trailer to fit the truck's capabilities. I was worried about the 1 ton leaf springs and rough ride. Couldn't tell much difference in the short drives I took from my 2500; maybe a tad stiffer but nothing airing down won't fix. The entire episode has been enlightening to me as well.

Gegrad
12-29-2019, 07:30 PM
Sounds like our trucks are similar. Mine is a Lone Star (TX version of Big Horn) and has most doo dads. I had always said the payload was near 3200 (was thinking it read 3190) but looked today before I take it off and it is 3090. I was hoping to gain about 1k on payload but it turned out a little short. No matter, I will buy a new trailer to fit the truck's capabilities. I was worried about the 1 ton leaf springs and rough ride. Couldn't tell much difference in the short drives I took from my 2500; maybe a tad stiffer but nothing airing down won't fix. The entire episode has been enlightening to me as well.

All good info re: the ride. I need to look into lowering my tire psi for non towing activities. So was this swap primarily driven by just wanting to get the extra payload for moving up in trailers soon? And the convenient employee pricing? Ha.

sourdough
12-29-2019, 07:39 PM
It was time for a new truck. If I was trading I figured I would move to a 1 ton. We have talked about, and looked at, a possible 5th wheel. We spend a bit of time in ours and can't find a floorplan or build that we like better than ours, but, it is a few years older and we both like the more roomy feel of a 5th wheel and want a larger shower. I looked for months and months for a truck that fit what I wanted....they are as rare as hen's teeth. Figured I would just keep poking around until I found something then when I got to FL I stumbled upon the employee pricing. Figured it was like all end of year sales and wouldn't be any more than regular dealer discounts. Looked at the numbers while "building" units and they had steeper discounts than you normally see. I thought that was a scam but they still added additional discounts on top of that. Then, I called a friend who is the GM of a Ram dealership in TX and just asked him about it. He said he could sell me any new vehicle at invoice and include all the rebates but it would not be as much as the existing employee discount, which he said was the best discount they had seen in years - and I was SO tired of trying to find a truck like I wanted. Decided to heck with it, my patience is gone so go with it....and here we are.

Gegrad
12-29-2019, 07:45 PM
Good to know. Yeah, that pricing was all that, just like I described last week! I am glad you were able to get everything stacked on top like I did a couple of weeks ago. Good luck with the 5th wheel search now that you have a more capable truck.

Snoking
12-29-2019, 07:59 PM
All good info re: the ride. I need to look into lowering my tire psi for non towing activities. So was this swap primarily driven by just wanting to get the extra payload for moving up in trailers soon? And the convenient employee pricing? Ha.

2500 tire nanny is going to bark at you. There ways to adjust it, however the dealer will mostly not do it. Aftermarket will.

sourdough
12-30-2019, 05:07 PM
Update:

Picked it up today and drove it back (about 60 miles total). I worried so much about the ride with the leaf springs....forget it. It may ride better than the 3/4. The tires were at about 72 all the way around. Aired down to 64 front and 60 rear to see what happens.

The 4.10, 6.4 and 8 speed are great for me. SO smooth compared to the 6 speed. 900 ft. lbs. of torque? Not happening but it is substantial and will definitely work for my needs. And the 4.10 vs 3.73 gas mileage? Ha! Looks like from the computer I get the same 30 mpg with the 4.10 vs the 3.73!:lol::lol: Seriously, at cruising speed I'm not sure I see a lot of difference noted by the EVIC numbers. Throwing the trailer on it will tell the tale but I'm not worried about a bit because I'm sure it will tow better and if there is a drop in mileage it's a moot point to me.

We've got to take puppy to specialists tomorrow so don't know if I will get some pics or not. The vet thinks she may have Cushing's disease so going to let the specialists tell us what we need to do.

Gegrad
12-30-2019, 05:19 PM
2500 tire nanny is going to bark at you. There ways to adjust it, however the dealer will mostly not do it. Aftermarket will.

Thanks for the info Chris. I will have to look into it some before I go dropping the pressure down.

Snoking
12-30-2019, 05:22 PM
Update:

Picked it up today and drove it back (about 60 miles total). I worried so much about the ride with the leaf springs....forget it. It may ride better than the 3/4. The tires were at about 72 all the way around. Aired down to 64 front and 60 rear to see what happens.

The 4.10, 6.4 and 8 speed are great for me. SO smooth compared to the 6 speed. 900 ft. lbs. of torque? Not happening but it is substantial and will definitely work for my needs. And the 4.10 vs 3.73 gas mileage? Ha! Looks like from the computer I get the same 30 mpg with the 4.10 vs the 3.73!:lol::lol: Seriously, at cruising speed I'm not sure I see a lot of difference noted by the EVIC numbers. Throwing the trailer on it will tell the tale but I'm not worried about a bit because I'm sure it will tow better and if there is a drop in mileage it's a moot point to me.

We've got to take puppy to specialists tomorrow so don't know if I will get some pics or not. The vet thinks she may have Cushing's disease so going to let the specialists tell us what we need to do.

Don't we afraid to go much lower PSI on the rear tires.
Tire Size LT275/70R18, the LT285/65R20's tires RAM uses have the same ratings.
35 psi 2070 lbs
40 psi 2270 lbs
45 psi 2470 lbs
50 psi 2680 lbs
55 psi 2840 lbs
60 psi 2840 lbs
65 psi 3020 lbs
70 psi 3360 lbs
75 psi 3530 lbs
80 psi 3640 lbs

64 is more that a gasser needs in it's front tires.

Gegrad
12-30-2019, 05:22 PM
Update:

The same 30 mpg.... lol. I want me some of that. :lol: I am still on my first tank but can tell you that one is a figment of our imaginations. The new 8 speeds are pretty nice. A major reason I got a '19 vs a leftover '18.

Cushing's is a serious deal. Sorry to hear about that, I hope it works out alright for your baby.

Snoking
12-30-2019, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the info Chris. I will have to look into it some before I go dropping the pressure down.

I think 2019 are more difficult to change than earlier years. Black electrical tape over the light works! Chris

Gegrad
12-30-2019, 05:42 PM
I think 2019 are more difficult to change than earlier years. Black electrical tape over the light works! Chris

LOLOLOL. Nice.

tech740
12-30-2019, 06:00 PM
3500's don't alarm, they only monitor. They expect that people will run pressures all over so they took the alarms away. At least mine doesn't alarm.

sourdough
12-30-2019, 06:39 PM
Don't we afraid to go much lower PSI on the rear tires.
Tire Size LT275/70R18, the LT285/65R20's tires RAM uses have the same ratings.
35 psi 2070 lbs
40 psi 2270 lbs
45 psi 2470 lbs
50 psi 2680 lbs
55 psi 2840 lbs
60 psi 2840 lbs
65 psi 3020 lbs
70 psi 3360 lbs
75 psi 3530 lbs
80 psi 3640 lbs

64 is more that a gasser needs in it's front tires.

Thanks Chris. I guess I've got a little bit of paranoia running the tires on a HD truck a low pressures. Now I used to run my off road tires way low but it was a mindset I think. I'll keep pulling these down if the ride is too harsh but right now, without even trying the new lowered pressures, I'm impressed with the ride. Thank you.

sourdough
12-30-2019, 06:57 PM
The same 30 mpg.... lol. I want me some of that. :lol: I am still on my first tank but can tell you that one is a figment of our imaginations. The new 8 speeds are pretty nice. A major reason I got a '19 vs a leftover '18.

Cushing's is a serious deal. Sorry to hear about that, I hope it works out alright for your baby.

Don't know if it's warranted but we are terrified. We have lots of friends that have recently put their dogs "down" for various reasons....I don't know if I can do that with this one. I've had dogs all my life but they were outdoor dogs. They were fun, energetic and went with me places. They have passed due to various causes. I never had a 2mo. old bag of dying bones come to me and ask for help. Terrified, scared to trust, burns from a cigarette lighter all over her back, someone cut a toe off, face burned from obviously trying to get something off a hot grill; man my heart broke. She was reluctant to trust me, then in 2 days she was eating and hanging out on my back porch; in 3 days I told DW we had to keep her or give her to the pound.....she came inside, was perfect - one mistake inside a house ..and a baby. And, I had been allergic to dogs and cats all my life causing me much distress. Upon taking her in, magically, I'm not allergic to cats or dogs any longer...crazy.

She has been my shadow and buddy for 9 1/2 years. We know each other inside out and take care of each other in any situation - she's proven that multiple times.

Sorry, this thread is about the truck but this one (puppy) has become as much to me as my kids (they've been gone for 28 years). Hopefully tomorrow has good news.

Gegrad
12-30-2019, 07:03 PM
Oh man Danny, that is absolutely heartbreaking to hear. A best friend of almost 10 years. :cry: I wish you the best tomorrow.

sourdough
12-30-2019, 07:17 PM
Thank you.

Harried Harry
12-30-2019, 09:56 PM
Snoking, I look for the trucks with high load capacities since I use a truck camper, a 5th wheel trailer and a 16' flatbed for towing my Jeep. This is a great article since I've been thinking of upgrading my truck (08 Dodge 2500 Laramie Quadcab with 6.7 Cummins TD). I have learned a lot from the discussion and hope to acquire something newer in the next year or so. My Dodge only has 70,000 on it and I don't drive it like I did when I was working so I will probably get a gasser next time. Of course, it must be able to go w/o issues into the high country of the Western states where I live.

sourdough
12-31-2019, 06:24 AM
Snoking, I look for the trucks with high load capacities since I use a truck camper, a 5th wheel trailer and a 16' flatbed for towing my Jeep. This is a great article since I've been thinking of upgrading my truck (08 Dodge 2500 Laramie Quadcab with 6.7 Cummins TD). I have learned a lot from the discussion and hope to acquire something newer in the next year or so. My Dodge only has 70,000 on it and I don't drive it like I did when I was working so I will probably get a gasser next time. Of course, it must be able to go w/o issues into the high country of the Western states where I live.

Harry, I will note that in my experience the later model gas engines (5.7/6.4) I have taken through the mountains do experience a bit of power loss. Not anything to worry about that I've encountered thus far. I figure the 4.10 ratio will compensate for any small loss of power I've encountered previously.

sourdough
12-31-2019, 04:10 PM
Here are pics of the new truck (I hope). That console screen is huge to me but you can see it well.:)

chuckster57
12-31-2019, 04:22 PM
Sweet!!!! Enjoy it.

rhagfo
12-31-2019, 05:40 PM
Sweet!!!! Enjoy it.

A big X2 that is a Nice looking truck!

Snoking
12-31-2019, 06:06 PM
Looks like the 20" rims and tires? We love our full center console! If getting a new one the 12" vs the 8.4" would be hard choice, I like the hard buttons for many things with the 8.4 and no aux switches.

Fire Engine red. We painted my brother's Model A red with Texaco Red. People all wanted to know what red it was. It was a little hard to say that dad brought home Texaco Red paint.

Enjoy the new ride! Chris

sourdough
12-31-2019, 06:44 PM
Looks like the 20" rims and tires? We love our full center console! If getting a new one the 12" vs the 8.4" would be hard choice, I like the hard buttons for many things with the 8.4 and no aux switches.

Fire Engine red. We painted my brother's Model A red with Texaco Red. People all wanted to know what red it was. It was a little hard to say that dad brought home Texaco Red paint.

Enjoy the new ride! Chris

Yep. 20" wheel package. I've had them on the last 3 trucks but wanted the 18s on this one. That was not to be found at this time.

I've had 3 8.4s and love them. Hated this last one because it had backup camera and the bed camera. With that the big screen was always the bed camera, which I don't use, and the backup camera was in the rear view mirror. The verdict is out on the 12". I did watch a video on it this evening and man, it's full of "stuff". When it kicks in at night it will blind you (gotta figure out how to dim it like I want). Drag and pull plus SO much stuff. DW and I watched the video for about 15 minutes; she walked off and I said I cannot process all this by watching the video. I'll just work into it slowly - makes having a smartphone traveling almost useless.

Gegrad
12-31-2019, 07:11 PM
Sharp Looking! Love that red. I gotta get me some nerf bars.

Does it fit in the garage?

sourdough
12-31-2019, 07:34 PM
Don't know about the garage. I will say that nothing about it seems any larger than my 3/4; height, length etc. It's as easy to get into as the previous truck and although the specs show it to be 1.4" longer than a 14, the bed is the same length so thinking it's just the same. We just can't tell any difference from the truck we traded vs that huge center screen...and, that 6.4 with 8 speed and the 4.10; thinking it is going to be outstanding. Sounds like the old vehicles I would build; put in a big engine, manual 4 speed and a 4.56....shift points were just bing, bing, bing.

Gegrad
12-31-2019, 07:43 PM
Probably will fit in the garage then; mine does (with about 2' in the rear and 4" in the front, ha). I am happy mine has the 18" wheels, though it provides zero help on height. Mine is ridiculously high to get into.

My father is probably close to your age and he also loves to build em with big engines and a 4 speed manual, though it is more partial toward higher gears for fuel economy purposes. 3.73 is the lowest rear he has ever had in a truck, though the longest travel trailer he ever pulled was a 24' footer.

Snoking
12-31-2019, 11:21 PM
Yep. 20" wheel package. I've had them on the last 3 trucks but wanted the 18s on this one. That was not to be found at this time.

I've had 3 8.4s and love them. Hated this last one because it had backup camera and the bed camera. With that the big screen was always the bed camera, which I don't use, and the backup camera was in the rear view mirror. The verdict is out on the 12". I did watch a video on it this evening and man, it's full of "stuff". When it kicks in at night it will blind you (gotta figure out how to dim it like I want). Drag and pull plus SO much stuff. DW and I watched the video for about 15 minutes; she walked off and I said I cannot process all this by watching the video. I'll just work into it slowly - makes having a smartphone traveling almost useless.

In the first 48 hours owning our 2015 we drove 1350 miles with motel receipts for two nights. Monday at noon until Wednesday at noon. We learn a lot about the truck, nav and 8.4 in those two first days.

66joej
01-01-2020, 06:53 AM
Real nice Danny! I see it has the shifter on the dash. New the the 1 ton? Love the fact that you don't have to get the chrome polish out (monochromatic). Enjoy!

gearhead
01-01-2020, 06:56 AM
Air down the tires, especially the rears, and try to watch the wear. My 2016 Laramie SRW had a payload of 4100# which was a huge improvement over the previous F350 of 3200#.
Only issue with my 2018 Laramie dually are the interior lights at night. I wish they automatically dimmed when the headlights were on. I have trouble seeing to back up the boat or utility trailer until I realize the dash lights and screen are blinding me.
What is Ram recommending for oil? Thought I read they wanted a special low viscosity synthetic Rotella. Apparently they have a partnership with Shell.
Congrats on the new truck. Happy New Year!
edit add....my dash dimmer is the thumbwheel on far left side of the dash under the light switch.

sourdough
01-01-2020, 07:45 AM
Joe, yes it is the new one ton with the shifter knob on the dash. So used to the shifter on the column I've almost thrown my shoulder out grabbing for it.

Brent, I have aired down the tires and the ride really surprised me. It's as good as the 3/4 if not better. The interior lights are an issue. I've not figured out how to control them yet. The thumbwheel will control some of the dash but the others are very bright until they decide to turn off. Brought the manual in last night so will be looking it over. As far as oil, I've not looked into that yet. I figure it's like my last one; I believe Ram's recommendation was for some specific oil (Shell?). I talked to Shell, Mobil 1 and the dealership and determined that Mobil 1 covered everything the Shell oil did and was more available in my area. There was some connection between Ram and Shell? so their product was listed as the go to oil. I was told by one of the parties (don't remember which one) that the warranty would not be voided by using Mobil 1 which I use in everything.

Edit: Just looked at the manual. It specifies full synthetic oil that meets the API category of SN. It recommends 0-40 weight and Pennzoil Ultra or the equivalent Mopar engine oil meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS - 12633. From the wording one can use any synthetic meeting the SN category but they "recommend" the Pennzoil or Mopar product.

sourdough
01-01-2020, 03:42 PM
Another observation on this change;

I spent a lot of time investigating and worrying about the size changes between 2014 and 2019 plus the difference between going from 2500 to 3500. A LOT of time.

Spec sheet I found indicated the truck grew about 1 1/2" in length and a little over 1" in height considering both differences. In the Ram office they call the 2019 Ram SB/CC short bed a 6.5 bed on their posters; it used to be a 6.4 so I was worried. Called the folks that make my bed cover (Bak Industries) and one person told me I needed a different one, the next said the existing one would work. Irritating.

Here's what I know at this point:

>Installed the BakFlip hard bed cover today and it fit like a glove - exactly like it did on the 14 2500.

>There may be some difference in length or height but I do not see or feel it. I firmly believe it will be the same as the old truck.

>I had real worries about the ride of a 1 ton and going from the supposedly nice riding coil springs to leafs. The reality is that the 1 ton rides as well or better than the 3/4. We both really like it.

>The price difference between the 3/4 and 1 ton is really negligible.

>The huge screen in the middle of the dash is apparently very disconcerting to puppy if I turn the display off and there is just a big black shiny screen - a literal mirror, and she acts strangely until I turn it on and make that reflection go away.:) (She sits on the console)

>Knowing what I know now first hand I should have just bypassed a 3/4 ton and went to a 1 ton. The 3/4 was overkill at the time, and served us well, but if there is the slightest possibility anyone thinks they might upgrade their RV just get the 1 ton - lots of positives and no downsides whatsoever as far as I can tell.

Snoking
01-01-2020, 03:50 PM
A little 'got a Hemi humor'!

https://makeagif.com/gif/2004-dodge-hemi-commercial-dragster-lWzJ_0

sourdough
01-01-2020, 05:11 PM
I couldn't get any sound from it. But, I will note my experience with Chrysler hemis;

I was a chevy guy, then ford guy then Ram guy. I was a chevy guy and loved those engines. Chrysler products rattled, broke etc. but the drivetrains were bulletproof. When I was 20 took my first drive in a Plymouth Barracuda 440 6 pack and was "wow". A drive later with a 426 was "double wow". My cousin came to visit us in TX and they had ordered Dodge Coronet? with the 426, 4 speed, added exhaust dumps etc. Took it out for a run and it was stout. My SS 396 wasn't a challenge. Never got to own my personal hemi back then but they were impressive to me. Now they're in a truck....

Phil Saran
01-08-2020, 11:24 AM
OK so I'll add my $0.02 to this.
I have a 2012 Ram 3500 4 door, 4x4 diesel, 6.4 bed with 3:73 gears.
My Keystone Cougar 30 RLS weights in at 12000 lbs. loaded.
The truck fits in my garage with a few inches to spare. A mega cab is
10 inches too long, a long bed is a few feet to long.
We get hail here in Colorado so I wanted to be able to garage the truck.

Yes I know my 2012 is not a 2019 or 2020, but I bought what I could
afford. I looked for a long time to find a low mileage truck with only
46K on the speedo at a price I could afford ($41K) and yes I bought a
extended warranty on the truck.

Badbart56
01-11-2020, 09:55 AM
I couldn't get any sound from it. But, I will note my experience with Chrysler hemis;

I was a chevy guy, then ford guy then Ram guy. I was a chevy guy and loved those engines. Chrysler products rattled, broke etc. but the drivetrains were bulletproof. When I was 20 took my first drive in a Plymouth Barracuda 440 6 pack and was "wow". A drive later with a 426 was "double wow". My cousin came to visit us in TX and they had ordered Dodge Coronet? with the 426, 4 speed, added exhaust dumps etc. Took it out for a run and it was stout. My SS 396 wasn't a challenge. Never got to own my personal hemi back then but they were impressive to me. Now they're in a truck....

Ahh, the good old days! We worked so hard to make over 350 horsepower back then (if you couldn't afford the extra $500 for then Hemi option!). Changing cams, heads, exhaust, etc. And now with only a programmer you can add 200 horsepower! My 2004 CTS V came off the assembly line with 400 advertised horsepower and in reality is about 450 hp! All that and air conditioning too! Heck, the 2020 Ford 6.7 diesel has 475 hp and 1050 ft/lbs of torque! What more do we really need>

JRTJH
01-11-2020, 10:49 AM
Ahh, the good old days! ... Heck, the 2020 Ford 6.7 diesel has 475 hp and 1050 ft/lbs of torque! What more do we really need>

IMHO, what we need is a good, solid mid size diesel in the 300HP/600 ft/lbs range that gets 25-30MPG solo and 15-18 MPG towing a mid size trailer. Right now, (again IMHO) it's either choose gas and suffer mileage or choose "overkill" diesel to get the "extreme" towing capacity. There doesn't seem to be any "middle ground" in the diesel options...

Badbart56
01-11-2020, 11:08 AM
IMHO, what we need is a good, solid mid size diesel in the 300HP/600 ft/lbs range that gets 25-30MPG solo and 15-18 MPG towing a mid size trailer. Right now, (again IMHO) it's either choose gas and suffer mileage or choose "overkill" diesel to get the "extreme" towing capacity. There doesn't seem to be any "middle ground" in the diesel options...

I agree totally. There should be an option for such a diesel. Dodge has touched on it with their ECO-Diesel but not having the reliability of the Cummins as I understand it. GM is offering something similar I heard, even in the Tahoe's. Well see how that works out. The new gas 7.3 that Ford offers is SUPPOSED to fill the gap between the current gas engines and the current diesel. This article explains their logic.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a26306469/ford-super-duty-73-v8-engine-details-specs/

sourdough
01-11-2020, 03:21 PM
John is on point. I would buy a decent sized diesel in a heartbeat with the kinds of numbers John lists.....if it didn't cost 10k to get it. I have sent many requests to both FCA and Ford asking that they consider that and what I perceive as a large market for it. Obviously those requests have not been taken into account on the engine offerings.

Until the time they make those offerings, for me, it will be a gas engine. Bang for the buck. I don't want the high initial cost for something that I don't need but would be nice 3-4 times a year when a gas engine saves me 9200-10k and will do the same job - just not as easily. Then again, I've ran gas engines all my life and rpms don't bother me. I will say finding/getting a 3500 with the 6.4 and 4.10 axle is very difficult without ordering. I am very pleased and really look forward to strapping this, or a new, trailer to it. As far as a 4.10 guzzling more gas than a 3.73.....nah. The 4.10s I've had before had a mileage increase that was literally negligible. This one, at just over 1k miles, is averaging just under 16 highway/city combined....same as the 3.73 so not an issue to worry about.....just finding one.

Gegrad
01-11-2020, 05:30 PM

My older cousin has the Eco Diesel, and prior to the lawsuit when Ram detuned it, he LOVED it. It did exactly what you said John; 30-35 mpg solo on the hwy, 15-18 towing his '76 Nova on his car hauler. Then Ram detuned it following the scandal and it has lost all power and the mileage has decreased. Once he gets his settlement $ from FCA he plans to buy one of the aftermarket CPU units that are available. So we were there, then RAM had to go mess it all up :lol:

Snoking
01-11-2020, 05:45 PM
The ECO Diesel does not have a very good reliability record.

Gegrad
01-11-2020, 06:03 PM
Ah, have not heard anything about that. My cousin's has been fine, but that is a sample size of N=1, so that means nothing in the larger scene.

JRTJH
01-11-2020, 06:34 PM
Back about 5 years ago, Volkswagen "screwed the pooch" with their alleged (I don't want any liability here) emissions violations. That put the "kabosch" on diesel advancements for mid size vehicles for a couple of years. Ford came out in early 2018 with their Powerstroke 3.0l V-6 diesel. It's rated at 250HP/440 ft/lb torque.

If I remember, Fiat/Chrysler got caught up in allegations along those emission violation lines, but I don't think they were ever "caught doing anything"... There is one report of a Jeep with a diesel that died enroute to Alaska with a forum member in the driver's seat. He did get a new engine and last I heard, it was working well.

IMHO, Ford's V-6 is the "baby powerstroke" and the 6.7l (superduty size) is the "papa powerstroke" What we need is something between them, in a small V-8 or large V-6 or I-6 to work in the HP/torque range between the "baby and papa"...

As for the "new large pushrod gas engines" hopefully this experiment will go better than Ford's "modular engine lineup"... The V-10 modular engine was, IMHO, one of the most "fuel hungry engines" since the old days of the 428, 440 and 460 V-8's. Of course they had either 6 or 8 carb barrels dumping fuel and air into those hungry beasts. Funny that they were only rated at 250HP range "back in the day when insurance rates mandated horsepower ratings"....

mtofell
01-11-2020, 09:07 PM
Back about 5 years ago, Volkswagen "screwed the pooch" with their alleged (I don't want any liability here) emissions violations.

There's a great documentary on Netflix about the VW scandal. Don't worry - several high up execs are in prison so you're on pretty safe ground implicating the company :)

Gegrad
01-12-2020, 06:01 PM
Back about 5 years ago, Volkswagen "screwed the pooch" with their alleged (I don't want any liability here) emissions violations. That put the "kabosch" on diesel advancements for mid size vehicles for a couple of years. Ford came out in early 2018 with their Powerstroke 3.0l V-6 diesel. It's rated at 250HP/440 ft/lb torque.

If I remember, Fiat/Chrysler got caught up in allegations along those emission violation lines, but I don't think they were ever "caught doing anything"... There is one report of a Jeep with a diesel that died enroute to Alaska with a forum member in the driver's seat. He did get a new engine and last I heard, it was working well.

IMHO, Ford's V-6 is the "baby powerstroke" and the 6.7l (superduty size) is the "papa powerstroke" What we need is something between them, in a small V-8 or large V-6 or I-6 to work in the HP/torque range between the "baby and papa"...

As for the "new large pushrod gas engines" hopefully this experiment will go better than Ford's "modular engine lineup"... The V-10 modular engine was, IMHO, one of the most "fuel hungry engines" since the old days of the 428, 440 and 460 V-8's. Of course they had either 6 or 8 carb barrels dumping fuel and air into those hungry beasts. Funny that they were only rated at 250HP range "back in the day when insurance rates mandated horsepower ratings"....

Hell their newer EFI V10s from the early 2000s were incredibly thirsty. I can see the need for the midsize diesel, though I don't think the manufacturers agree with you.

sourdough
01-12-2020, 07:01 PM

Most of the engines we messed with were well above 250hp. Loved the Dodge/Plymouth engines but never owned them; just had friends/relatives with them and was envious. I believe most were in the 350-400hp range stock and torque between 425-500ft. lbs. Unbelievable back in the day. They were the "hot rods", muscle cars and not truck engines. The 440 Dodge truck engine was much like you said - thirsty. The others.....fun has a price so "thirsty" didn't really matter except on a limited budget you couldn't go far. :D:banghead: Todays engines are really pumping out the power; gas or diesel and personally I love it. How long will that last? I don't know but intend to have a blast while we have the opportunity before it all comes tumbling down like it did in the 80s.

flybouy
01-13-2020, 08:34 AM
Thirsty? When I was a youngin I had a jet drive boat, Olds 455, twin 27 gal "saddle tanks" that when moving along at 70+ m.p.h. would last me about 30 min. Gup! Gulp!

Snoking
01-13-2020, 09:00 AM
Thirsty? When I was a youngin I had a jet drive boat, Olds 455, twin 27 gal "saddle tanks" that when moving along at 70+ m.p.h. would last me about 30 min. Gup! Gulp!

Water jets are not noted to be the most economical methoid to move a boat.

wiredgeorge
01-13-2020, 09:23 AM
Hate to ask an RV related question and get off topic hehehe Went to an RV show two weekends ago. Saw that many of the gas Class B & C were still using the Ford V10 gas swiller. Guess Ford is still making that engine for the RV sector where it seems to have dropped it a couple years ago when bringing on the 6.2 V8. Not sure why they couldn't use the new 7.3 gasser when it gets fully online.

The small Class B Winnebagos were using a 3.6L V6 Ram engine. Bet that is fun in the mountains. The larger Class C gas units use the Ford V10. After looking at the engines in both, not sure how anyone would work on one except to pull the chassis.

flybouy
01-13-2020, 09:34 AM
Water jets are not noted to be the most economical methoid to move a boat.

Back in the early 70's they were the favorites as the I/O 's couldn't handle the torque or hp like they do now. My Sleekcraft Executive 23 had the Jacuzzi drive instead of the Berkeley pump that was the more popular at the time (read big rooster tail).

It was fun until I docked at one of the few Sunoco pumps on the water that had the "Sunoco 260" fuel.:(

JRTJH
01-13-2020, 09:40 AM
George,

My guess is that Ford is still "packing the V-10 into motorhomes" because that chassis is "exempt from fleet fuel requirements"... In other words, it doesn't cost Ford anything to put them in heavy vehicles. It does, however, cost the buying public.... It's probably a matter of quantity as well. 10,000 motorhome chassis vs 500,000 F-series LD/HD trucks annually. Sort of: Use the old stuff where it doesn't matter to the larger population.

Some of the literature I've seen (online) suggests that when current stocks of V-10 engines is depleted, Ford does plan to start using the 7.3L in their RV chassis lines (class A and C) as well as the F650/750 HD truck line.

Ironically, the design of the 7.3L engine makes it significantly smaller (more compact) than the V-10. There's some suggestion that a "highly modified" version may even find its way into a special edition of the Mustang.... Of course that's been said about an EcoBoost 5.0L as well....

Seems almost comical to me that the Class C chassis is a "cutaway van" but the "passenger van" (same chassis) doesn't have the V-10 availability. It can only be ordered with a NA 3.5L V-6 or the 3.5L EcoBoost.

wiredgeorge
01-13-2020, 09:43 AM
George,

My guess is that Ford is still "packing the V-10 into motorhomes" because that chassis is "exempt from fleet fuel requirements"... In other words, it doesn't cost Ford anything to put them in heavy vehicles. It does, however, cost the buying public.... It's probably a matter of quantity as well. 10,000 motorhome chassis vs 500,000 F-series LD/HD trucks annually. Sort of: Use the old stuff where it doesn't matter to the larger population.

Some of the literature I've seen (online) suggests that when current stocks of V-10 engines is depleted, Ford does plan to start using the 7.3L in their RV chassis lines (class A and C) as well as the F650/750 HD truck line.

Ironically, the design of the 7.3L engine makes it significantly smaller (more compact) than the V-10. There's some suggestion that a "highly modified" version may even find its way into a special edition of the Mustang.... Of course that's been said about an EcoBoost 5.0L as well....

I haunt powerstroke.org and ford-trucks.org now and again and heard some noise about the 7.3 in a Mustang. Most stuff coming off these forums is just hot air; Ford execs are the only ones who have a clue and I am sure these corporate secrets are dollar driven and closely held.

flybouy
01-13-2020, 09:49 AM
Can't imagine why they would put a heavy V10 in a Mustang when the lighter, more powerful V8 Coyote is available. I think Ford was floating that rumor back when the Chrysler/Daimler was selling their V10 in the Viper.

JRTJH
01-13-2020, 09:57 AM
Can't imagine why they would put a heavy V10 in a Mustang when the lighter, more powerful V8 Coyote is available. I think Ford was floating that rumor back when the Chrysler/Daimler was selling their V10 in the Viper.

Marshall,

The 7.3L is a V-8. If I remember what I read, it's not much heavier than the current 5.0L Coyote engine. Something to do with the "compactness and weight reduction" of pushrod vs OHC engine design....

flybouy
01-13-2020, 10:21 AM
Marshall,

The 7.3L is a V-8. If I remember what I read, it's not much heavier than the current 5.0L Coyote engine. Something to do with the "compactness and weight reduction" of pushrod vs OHC engine design....

My bad :bow:The Triton was a 6.8 and replaced the V10, but still doesn't make sense to me. From what I've read the 7.3 has diesel like performance and durability but I think the Coyote 5 L has many aftermarket performance upgrades available.

JRTJH
01-13-2020, 10:30 AM
My bad :bow:The Triton was a 6.8 and replaced the V10, but still doesn't make sense to me. From what I've read the 7.3 has diesel like performance and durability but I think the Coyote 5 L has many aftermarket performance upgrades available.

I think the "illogical logic" (yeah I know) at work is this:

Bigger is better
Better is badder
Bigger, better and badder sells image. Ford has an "image to maintain" LOL

flybouy
01-13-2020, 10:35 AM
I think the "illogical logic" (yeah I know) at work is this:

Bigger is better
Better is badder
Bigger, better and badder sells image. Ford has an "image to maintain" LOL

Don't they have a name for that? Never mind, let's not go there!:hide:

wiredgeorge
01-13-2020, 10:48 AM
I think any of the OEM engine builders would do well to have a large and powerful gas engine capable of pulling decent loads. The 5.4 ain't it. I don't think the 7.3 will be anywhere near 6.7 performance but will certainly pull mid-weight 5vers just fine. It is supposed to have 475 ft/lb torque. Compare that to my old 6.0L powerstroke with 570 ft/lbs. Ain't that bad. The 6.2L gasser is supposed to have 430 ft/lb torque so not sure how much of an upgrade the 7.3L or how much more it will cost you to find out. The 7.3L should work better in Class B/C applications as it is OHV and more compact.

JRTJH
01-13-2020, 11:31 AM
Don't they have a name for that? Never mind, let's not go there!:hide:

Yup, the name for it (IMHO) in the RV world is translated as "Half Ton Towable"

Snoking
01-13-2020, 05:12 PM
Back in the early 70's they were the favorites as the I/O 's couldn't handle the torque or hp like they do now. My Sleekcraft Executive 23 had the Jacuzzi drive instead of the Berkeley pump that was the more popular at the time (read big rooster tail).

It was fun until I docked at one of the few Sunoco pumps on the water that had the "Sunoco 260" fuel.:(

I had a buddy/roommate that had a E Racing runabout flat bottom race boat(330 CU In and under class). V-drive small block Chevy. Race one weekend, water ski the next.

It was fun to water ski behind. You stood on the dock with the single ski on one foot and when the rope came tight you yelled "Hit it" and stepped into the air, you were off skiing or on your face in the water.

At 80 MPH you wanted to be outside the wake in case the boat coughed/ stopped, as you would hit it or pass it! Note: An old O'Brien water ski went flat on the water about 50 MPH. Deep water starts were quick or the rope pulled out of your hands.

flybouy
01-13-2020, 05:27 PM
I had a buddy/roommate that had a E Racing runabout flat bottom race boat(330 CU In and under class). V-drive small block Chevy. Race one weekend, water ski the next.

It was fun to water ski behind. You stood on the dock with the single ski on one foot and when the rope came tight you yelled "Hit it" and stepped into the air, you were off skiing or on your face in the water.

At 80 MPH you wanted to be outside the wake in case the boat coughed/ stopped, as you would hit it or pass it! Note: An old O'Brien water ski went flat on the water about 50 MPH. Deep water starts were quick or the rope pulled out of your hands.

Bringing back memories! Had 3 people attempt to ski behind my boat. I thought they all would end up without arms before it was over. That 455 had 2 speeds... stop and go fast.:eek:

The bottom was pretty much flat for the back 1/3 of the hull so it would slap and kill your back in any chop. When it was up on plane the draft was less than a foot so it was exhilarating running at speed over sand bars, close to shore, and in near swamp flats. :)

I don't miss the ride and can't imagine ever doing it now (not after the 7 cervical spine surgeries) but man I do miss the sound that big block made!:):)

Snoking
01-13-2020, 05:37 PM
flybouy, Oh to be young again. We chased points all over the NW race circuit. National high point several years running. I was the tow truck for the boat, with a 63 Carryall. The OEM 292 I6 would pull a house over, however the 283 V8 conversion ran down the freeway much better.

flybouy
01-13-2020, 05:49 PM
flybouy, Oh to be young again. We chased points all over the NW race circuit. National high point several years running. I was the tow truck for the boat, with a 63 Carryall. The OEM 292 I6 would pull a house over, however the 283 V8 conversion ran down the freeway much better.

The predecessor of the Suburban. That little carb on top of that six was something to behold but that long stroke six and the low gearing did have some "grunt".