PDA

View Full Version : Passthrough Storage Door Locks

Giantseahawk
12-17-2019, 09:02 PM
Proud owner of a 2019 GT Series 2920BHWE as a first TT, purchased in June. After two shakedown trips to the beach, I saw that my driver's side passthrough door was coming open while driving with both locks in the locked position. After opening and closing the door and double checking the door was locked, found after a couple of miles the door opening and flapping slightly in the wind. Any quick solutions to this problem besides changing all of the locks in order to keep the doors keyed alike?:confused:

ctbruce
12-18-2019, 03:32 AM
The tabs on the back may need adjusting or longer tabs put on. The twisting of the frame and movement while traveling are allowing them to disengage.

Maineiacs
12-18-2019, 05:47 AM
I found that my locks were very slightly misaligned. You have to be sure that when the lock is locked, the arm is exactly at the 6 o'clock position. And as mentioned above, that the arm is long enough to get a solid grip on the compartment lip.

flybouy
12-18-2019, 05:56 AM
Check the frame "lip" where the cam rests. It's easy to bend that thin aluminum lip when extracting or inserting stuff in the pass thru. Place a straight edge (ruler,etc.) on the lip and bend the lip so all edges align.

The longer cams, or "tabs, arms" can be bought on line at places like http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/ or at most RV dealer parts dept. Also check the cam for it's shape, they can be bent as well but it does take more force.

JRTJH
12-18-2019, 07:29 AM
Does your baggage door have "twist locks" or "slam locks" ???

If it's twist locks like the first photo, the locking arms may be too short. If you have slam locks like the second photo, the door may be misaligned, not properly closing or latching, a misaligned striker plate or you could have a malfunctioning lock.

ADDED: The photos appeared reversed, so the slam lock is first and the twist lock is second.

Giantseahawk
12-18-2019, 09:47 AM
These locks are the infamous 721. I will check the rail and thought about looking for longer lock arms. Happened again yesterday while bringing the TT back home from having some warranty work done. Not just the key lock but the manual twist lock also.

JRTJH
12-18-2019, 10:53 AM
Are the locks on the bottom of the door or on the side? Most LP tank doors have hinges on the side and if the locks are installed "upside down" they can vibrate loose and allow the door to open. If they are on the bottom, then that may not be what's happening...

If they're on the side, you can turn the lock "upside down" so the key rotates up rather than down and gravity will solve the issue.

Maineiacs
12-18-2019, 11:11 AM
These locks are the infamous 721. I will check the rail and thought about looking for longer lock arms. Happened again yesterday while bringing the TT back home from having some warranty work done. Not just the key lock but the manual twist lock also.

If both cams are not catching the rail, it sounds like they may have been installed too high in the door itself. When you replace the 721 locks (as everyone should) look for longer cams.

Skippy38
12-24-2019, 01:10 PM
My buddy just bought a unit with the front storage locked and he doesn't have the key. Any idea short of a locksmith on how he can gain access?

chuckster57
12-24-2019, 01:24 PM
My buddy just bought a unit with the front storage locked and he doesn't have the key. Any idea short of a locksmith on how he can gain access?

Take a pic of the lock. I can give you a few key numbers.

Skippy38
12-25-2019, 03:56 AM
Thanks. I tried one of my keys and it worked!

chuckster57
12-25-2019, 04:46 AM
CH751 or R001?

CFDfireman90
12-25-2019, 01:59 PM
Rvlocksandmore.com

Bamoon
12-29-2019, 08:56 AM
Proud owner of a 2019 GT Series 2920BHWE as a first TT, purchased in June. After two shakedown trips to the beach, I saw that my driver's side passthrough door was coming open while driving with both locks in the locked position. After opening and closing the door and double checking the door was locked, found after a couple of miles the door opening and flapping slightly in the wind. Any quick solutions to this problem besides changing all of the locks in order to keep the doors keyed alike?:confused:
I was also having the same problem and tried to adjust the lock position without any luck. The problem for me was the cut out for the door was approximately 1/4” too large. I removed the door and frame them shimmed with some flexible molding. This brought the frame in enough (smaller ID) for the locks to catch.

Daryles
12-29-2019, 12:53 PM
Use a hair pin. Shockingly easy!!!
Change them when you can.

LHaven
12-29-2019, 04:25 PM
Use a hair pin. Shockingly easy!!!
Change them when you can.

Even the "good" (people door) locks on RVs are pretty primitive.

A buddy of mine bought his first TT last month and (since he didn't yet own a truck) asked me to tow it from the seller's storage three towns over to his park spot. Except he left the keys on my bumper as we were hitching up! When we went to unhitch, he realized what he had done.

I opened his side hatches with the CH751 from my trailer, but had to actually pick the door lock. It took all of six seconds. He took off the door latch, inside which was the key number. Wasted some time finding a locksmith to make a key, then discovered the closest RV supply shop had entire replacement door latches for under $20.