PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerator and Traveling

Gobirds38
12-10-2019, 07:17 PM
How many of you use the refrigerator while traveling down the road? I was told that you can't use it on gas while on the road (so it's cold when we arrive).

travelin texans
12-10-2019, 07:58 PM
How many of you use the refrigerator while traveling down the road? I was told that you can't use it on gas while on the road (so it's cold when we arrive).

Been rving 40+ years with the fridge running on propane every time we traveled just as it was designed to do.
There's a handful of folks that believe it's a fire hazard if you have a tire blowout which rips the gas line loose but the safety devices in the propane tanks are designed that any rapid release shuts the flow off, even if you open the valves too quickly.
Set your fridge to "auto", with this setting you do not have change it to travel or connect to shore power, it does it automatically, set it, hitch up & go.

Gobirds38
12-10-2019, 08:08 PM
Thanks travelin texans. I was told it takes a long time to get cold, so I was wanting to turn it on while we travel (our next trip will take about 8 hours to arrive).

sourdough
12-10-2019, 08:31 PM
I believe the vast majority of RVers leave the fridge on when traveling (never met one that didn't). You might do a search; there was just a very long thread that discussed this very thing very recently.

rhagfo
12-10-2019, 09:31 PM
Thanks travelin texans. I was told it takes a long time to get cold, so I was wanting to turn it on while we travel (our next trip will take about 8 hours to arrive).

Not only do I travel with the fridge on, if it is cold out we travel with the furnace on and t-stat st at about 55 degrees so it is somewhat warm in the 5er when we arrive.

NH_Bulldog
12-11-2019, 04:49 AM

Here is the recent thread on the subject. The general consensus is that it is common and safe to travel with the fridge running on gas. The biggest exception is for those with larger fifth wheels and residential refrigerators that don’t have gas as an option.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40546

Gobirds38
12-11-2019, 06:21 AM
Thanks NH_Bulldog. I am new to the Forum, I will look around more in the future.

NH_Bulldog
12-11-2019, 08:22 AM
Thanks NH_Bulldog. I am new to the Forum, I will look around more in the future.

The search function can be frustrating, and sometimes the thread you find and respond to can be years old. Most are happy to help and will point you in the right direction as needed. Welcome to the group!

sourdough
12-11-2019, 08:31 AM

Sorry I didn't find the thread when I posted #4. The search function can be a little difficult at times as was mentioned, it was late and DW along with puppy had already told me to come to bed twice.:)

notanlines
12-11-2019, 03:04 PM
Dave, the search function on this forum strikes terror in the hearts of members who are microbiologists and astrophysicists , not to mention the rest of us.
Try this link for more info. (And travel with it on.....no problem)
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40546&page=3

Gegrad
12-11-2019, 06:18 PM
GoBirds,
It's already been mentioned several times, but I will go ahead and add another "yes, it's fine to run the fridge while towing"

travelin texans
12-11-2019, 06:38 PM
Not only do I travel with the fridge on, if it is cold out we travel with the furnace on and t-stat st at about 55 degrees so it is somewhat warm in the 5er when we arrive.

Have done same numerous times

ChuckS
12-12-2019, 07:55 AM
With the advent of DSI and the safety lockout mode that fridge will go into if flame isn’t sensed there just isn’t an issue.. my opinion. I also have been RVing well over 40 years. I turn my fridge to propane mode just prior to getting ready to head out ... fridge stays cold during towing and I have zero concerns

Nitehawk
12-19-2019, 08:50 AM
Just never leave the flame running when fueling up or when passing in side tunnels.. that is asking for big fines.
Other than that they are designed to operate while traveling

TYHLR
12-19-2019, 09:04 AM
I run the fridge every time that we travel with food and beverages in the fridge with no issues.

It is great to get to the campground and once everything is set up, sit back and have a cold adult beverage.

jbrosecity
12-19-2019, 09:28 AM
Been RVing for 10 years with 6 different motorhomes and have ALWAYS run the fridge on propane while traveling. The option of turning it off and allowing the food to spoil is not an option.

Daryles
12-19-2019, 09:44 AM
Some long tunnels require RVs to pull over for inspection. They verify the propane tanks are turned off. The Hampton Roads and Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnels in Norfolk Va have these requirements.

travelin texans
12-19-2019, 11:28 AM
We've traveled coast to coast border to border, everywhere but the far northeastern part of the country, through tunnels on ferries & have never been inspected or turned the propane off while traveling.

Daryles
12-19-2019, 01:59 PM
Scroll down to hazardous materials
http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/hro-tunnel-default.asp#hazmat
"Hazardous Materials
Before motor homes can go through tunnels, they must stop to have propane tanks checked."

Not every place/tunnel is like this.

sundowner
12-19-2019, 04:14 PM
In British Columbia, BC Ferries requires tanks to be shut off and tagged with a seal given to you at the pay booth. There are also strict limits on the amount of fuel allowed for boats etc in containers.

bobbecky
12-19-2019, 06:50 PM
We always travel with the fridge on, but several years ago after having the cooling unit fail twice in a six month period, I installed an ARP device to protect the cooling unit from overheating if the rig is too far out of level while traveling or stopped for a meal. The fridge has worked well ever since, making the ARP device well worth the small investment. It is also meant to help prevent fridge fires due to overheating, so it's a valuable safety device also.
https://www.arprv.com/

Roscommon48
12-20-2019, 03:08 AM
there are a few exceptions but just leave it on 'auto'

johnlewis
12-20-2019, 06:57 AM

The fridge manufacturers say you should turn the fridge on 24 hours before you put stuff in it. If you can do this great. However, our experience is that it cools faster than that. We try to give it 8 hours of operation, before we load it.

travelin texans
12-20-2019, 08:34 AM
The fridge manufacturers say you should turn the fridge on 24 hours before you put stuff in it. If you can do this great. However, our experience is that it cools faster than that. We try to give it 8 hours of operation, before we load it.

Ours was stored outside in the Texas heat, if it's 110 outside it's probably that or more inside the RV so it took at least 24 hours to cool enough to keep food chilled.
They don't use much LP or electricity so turn it on however early you'll think is necessary.

flybouy
12-20-2019, 10:51 AM
Like the vast majority I run mine while on the road.

I use a AcuRite 00986 Refrigerator Thermometer, less than $30. It tells me the temp in the fridge and the freezer without opening the door. I also like the fact that it will let me know if something went wrong while away with a min/max temp. memory.

66joej
12-20-2019, 12:16 PM
In British Columbia, BC Ferries requires tanks to be shut off and tagged with a seal given to you at the pay booth. There are also strict limits on the amount of fuel allowed for boats etc in containers.

Yes and they do random checks while ferries are enroute. Had ours checked to see if the tanks were closed and tagged.