PDA

View Full Version : How much propane does your furnace use?

HermitKrab
09-23-2009, 06:57 AM
Now that Fall is officially here, and the leaves are turning in East Tennessee, I am preparing for my 2nd Winter of fulltiming.
Last winter I decided after about a week of running the furnace that I would be better off running a couple of electric heaters. The furnace was running through almost 15 pounds / 24 hr period with the thermostat at 68 degrees.
My Dad thinks that is too much, that something must be wrong.
Any ideas?

hankpage
09-23-2009, 01:02 PM
You didn't say how cold it was when you used that much propane, but it still sounds a little high. I found that insulating the furnace plenum helped get more heat into the living area, furnace ran less and much quieter. Electric heaters are great but they don't heat the pipes or holding tanks so if it is below freezing run the furnace along with a heater. This will cut your propane use down and also give more even heat. Doing this I use about 20 lbs over a four day weekend. (between 30 and 40 degrees) I'm not full time so I can live with that.

Festus2
09-23-2009, 02:04 PM
I agree with Hank -- going through that much propane over a 24 hour period seems like an unusually high rate of consumption. Unless the temperature conditions are extremely cold throughtout that period, and your furnace is going flat out for the whole time, I can't see using that much propane. The suggestions he made are things you should consider doing. Without knowing the weather conditions/temperatures during the period you referred to, it is difficult to make a proper assessment. Let us know how you make out.

bennydog
09-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Several random thoughts. Has the furnace every been serviced? I have the one in our home cleaned and adjusted every couple of years and it helps. Are all of the ducts connected and in good working order, I had one in the trailer that had a big tear in it, fixed it with duct tape. Have you though about replacing the factory thermostat with a more accurate "home" version? I have a programmable one installed and it does a much better job of keeping the trailer at 68. The factory one was + /- 4 degrees. My brother in law full times in a 5er in Elko NV where the wind blows and it gets really cold. They have a snap on skirt that goes around the whole trailer that help to keep the wind and cold out from underneath. They swear by them. Also says vent covers help. In the end 1/2 a tank per day seems high. We were out for 14 days with over night temp inside the trailer down to 40. With the programmable set to heat it to 68 starting about 6:30 in the morning. We did not use (but came real close) a full 20 lbs bottle.

HermitKrab
09-24-2009, 02:18 PM
I am not sure what the temps were at that particular time, but typical winter days here are highs in the low 50's or upper 40's with lows near or below freezing. Several weeks last winter the lows were in the single digits.
I've worked out some skirting already, and spent the better part of today putting plastic over windows.
The furnace has not been serviced since I bought it in December of 2007 (if then.)
I am planning on taking a good look at it tomorrow, have been dreading it as it is under the reefer with no other access that I can find.
The only enclosed part underneath is the fresh water tank, and that is just fiberboard (insulation too?) that has a duct diverted to it.
Temps will be dropping into the upper 40's at night by Monday here, so I am trying to get as much done as I possibly can.:D
Oh, and I also replaced the original thermostat with a Hunter digital (not programmable) just before summer, so don't know if that will help any yet or not.

sbebenelli
09-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Just curious why don't you want to use the electric heaters this year?

HermitKrab
10-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Because the electric heaters cause my electric bill to triple in the winter. And the furnace provides a more even heat thoughout the trailer.

sbebenelli
10-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Because the electric heaters cause my electric bill to triple in the winter. And the furnace provides a more even heat thoughout the trailer.

Good reason! :)

Steersall4
10-04-2009, 05:20 AM
yep all those electric space heaters do a number on the lite bill if ya have one in an rv park. I only use them IF I am not paying them for electric but have it. as to his gas consumption? that should not be that much. I'd have some one ckeck adjustments on the furnace. it must not be burning right!