PDA

View Full Version : Eternabond

Twisties
12-09-2019, 08:27 AM
We take delivery of our new, first ever, 5'er tomorrow. I've been working out the details of the solar system I want to install, and in the course of all that came to the issue of running the wires on the roof. One suggestion was to use self-adhesive cable tie mounts (1" plastic squares) and lay a bead of dicor all around the edge of each one.

Well, one thing led to another, and the whole issue of seam sealing on the roof and cap came up. I saw some people are putting eternabond tape on all new RVs as soon as they get them home.

What are your thoughts on that?

Logan X
12-09-2019, 08:46 AM
I like eternabond tape, but I suspect if you covered all of the roof seals with it (which is not necessarily a bad idea) it may void you’re warranty.

Edit-would I cover all the seals with eternabond? Probably not. I prefer to get on the roof about every three months, check the seals, and add sealant as necessary.

JRTJH
12-09-2019, 09:11 AM
Some types of "roof sealing tape" can damage or destroy your TPO membrane. It's not the "idea of sealing against leakage" it's the chemical interaction with SOME (not all) adhesives and the TPO. Using "self adhesive cable tie mounts" that have a "non-approved adhesive" might do more damage than simply laying the wires in a "run of liberally applied DICOR or Alpha-Systems sealant"...

I'd be reluctant to put anything on the roof, stuck to the TPO membrane, that I don't know "POSITIVELY" is approved for use on the roof. While the roof warranty is for 12 years, it's a "pro-rated warranty, and after the first year, Keystone isn't involved in any repairs. Alpha-Systems or DICOR are the membrane manufacturer and their warranty only covers the materials costs, not labor to replace the roof. As such, you'll only get "pennies on the dollar" in reimbursement if you have a problem....

That said, if they can "prove you damaged the roof" by using incompatible adhesive, you'll be in a "no win situation"....

Choose what you "stick to the roof membrane" very carefully !!!!!

Twisties
12-09-2019, 10:17 AM
Well, I guess I'd better see what roof I have and check the warranty. Hopefully, there is some way to mount solar on the roof and keep the cables neatly routed and restrained.

Thanks for your help!

travelin texans
12-09-2019, 10:23 AM
Eternabond is permanent! If you have wiring issues afterwards you could possibly get the wires loose, but the rest of the tape is on there forever.
Personally would just use the Dicor caulk if compatible with your roof membrane.

TDoggart
12-09-2019, 11:01 AM
You can't beat DICOR. Just be sure that it is the proper type of DICOR for the type of roof you have.

chuckster57
12-09-2019, 12:44 PM
What brand of solar? There are plates made for running the cables through the roof and between walls. We will use the refer cabinet if it’s not on a slide.